The New, (now) official, Show off Your Video Card Thread

sorry for the crappy pics, I forgot I had my D70 set to 1600 iso, thats why its so freeking grany
vidcard1.JPG

vidcard2.JPG

Bugalaman said:
sorry for the crappy pics, I forgot I had my D70 set to 1600 iso, thats why its so freeking grany
http://home.comcast.net/~bugalaman/vidcard1.JPG
[IMG]http://home.comcast.net/~bugalaman/vidcard2.JPG[/QUOTE]

Man.....you are REALLY playin russian roulet with that card on the carpet like that :eek:

JL_Audio_User said:
Man.....you are REALLY playin russian roulet with that card on the carpet like that :eek:
ehhh...I've never had a problem. that whole static thing is just bullshit. Penn and Teller should really do a show on it. I've always put my electronics on carpet. I've never had an electronic component die because of a static related problem

ESD isn't bs dude, that's like saying if you cross two electrical currents that are hooked up to caps you couldn't fry the cap. You obviously can, and that's what happens. These days ESD is protected against more and more but it's still a concern.

~Adam

Agreed... I guess you really don't want to charge up a section of rug by rubbing your feet on it, then put a video card (which will likely have a lower potential) on that section and watch the carpet and the video card come to zero (potential) together... that would be bad... but putting a card on an untouched section of carpet is usually fine, although I do cringe when I see it. You have to put energy into the section of carpet (the "system") before it starts to become a problem... unless you put the same amount of energy into the card, which is pretty scary also.

el rolio said:
hahah rev you're silly, so what you doin with an extra 6800agpGT lying around man?

also, i meant ot ask you, how loud is the fan on that ultra cooler? cuz i just learnt supn new last night about the WC we gonna be doing....

Hey - sorry for late reply... been in Riudoso NM with the little ladies fam... uhm, that was my first GT and it's in the machine I am typing on now... I have a little-mini LAN party setup here so two people can game. I just turn around the second monitor and the kb + mouse are wireless, so it works out pretty well.. for parties and such. :)

Well - those ultra coolers are just a little louder than my MSI "UltraCopper" fans were... not bad though... but I will want to go H2O for serious noise reduction. :)

when im working on my computer.. i lay on the carpet.... is that ok?... cause my comuter is down low on my desk and i really dont want to chuck it all out to a table to work on it...

when im putting in like a new mobo.. i work on it on my bed cause its slightly lifted of the ground and i can sit im my chair :D

You should put your finger on your case, on a metal part of the frame or something, to zero the potential between you (your body) and the computer, before installing or removing a card, etc... because those two are much more "forgiving" in taking the potential diff (which can even result in a notable arc, shock, etc if the diff it enough) than say, a video card. :) Just to play it safe.

Every component in all 6 of my computers has been on my carpet. I build all my machines in my room on the carpet and have never, ever damaged a part doing so. I drag my feet walking round with motherboards and video cards in my bare hands and they all work perfectly.

Just an urban legend to me...

Well - it's not, because I have seen it happen... a friend of mine ruined some 72 pin edo memory a while (years - 8 maybe?) back by putting it on his mobo in the winter, when it was dry and warm inside (which really helps build up static)... ZAP! a big arc between the ram he was holding and the mobo... the mobo was fine, the 8mb of EDO was toast. lol (I'd say that would be just about the equiv of 512mb of ddr pc3200 today)

It's not to say that this is a common occurance, but there is a reason every memory chip I get sent from Sun or drive I get sent from NetApp has an anti-static wrist strap in the box with it... they would not waste the $ on that if it was purely an "urban legend".

EDIT: but some people can scuff their feet on the carpet for days and chew tin foil while fixing a toaster (plugged in) with a knife in one hand and putting a video card in their PC with the other and never hurt a thing... it's pretty random!

ok none of these are mine, but I liked the look of them at the time, so I saved the image. I guess it goes against the "your video card" part of the thread, but I hate to start a whole new thread for a few images...

anyways...

an FIC 9700pro special edition
rc-9700pro.jpg

EDIT: this is a Hercules 9800pro (thanks to Borgschulze for the correction :))
rc1-9800pro.JPG

and this one a power color 9800 pro
rc4-pcr_9800pro.jpg

and this one an NV20 of some fashion
rc3-nv20.jpg

and this Uber l33t GB special... serious pixel shedder!! ;)
rc2-gbc.jpg

and this one, (not my cat) appears to be a geforce2 ultra... maybe eVGA... not sure tho..
rc6-viddy-kitty.jpg

revenant said:
ok none of these are mine, but I liked the look of them at the time, so I saved the image. I guess it goes against the "your video card" part of the thread, but I hate to start a whole new thread for a few images...

anyways...

an FIC 9700pro special editio
rc-9700pro.jpg

I think this is a gigabyte 9800pro
rc1-9800pro.JPG

and this one a power color 9800 pro
http://venus.walagata.m/w/agunc4-pcr_9800pro.jpg[/IMG
and this one an NV20 of some fashion
[IMG]http://venus.walagata.comann/rc3-nv20.jpg

and this Uber l33t GB special... serious pixel shedder!! ;)
rc2-gbc.jpg

and this one, (not my cat) appears to be a geforce2 ultra... maybe eVGA... not sure tho..
rc6-viddy-kitty.jpg

Those are some very one of a kind cards

HOW MANY FPS DO YOU GET WITH THAT??...
rc2-gbc.jpg

Borgschulze said:
Hercules 9800 Pro.

I've wanted that card since before it was out.

Yes! That's it... I had a feeling I had that one wrong. thx 4 da correction. :)

Hey everyone here is my card i was talking about the pics is alittle blurry but i will get more pics on wednesday.

dscf0037edited2zr.jpg

also to look at my whole pc look in case gallery page on 102 page (too lazy to put link up)

This is kinda funny, but I always think when I see the cards without the huge heatsinks, they kind of look like lame cards. I dont know why, but seeing a 6800 ultra or something with the huge heatsink on it looks 1337, then when you see just the card with no heatsink on it, it just looks like a piece of pcb :p. is it just me that thinks that? I mean I know their awesome, but they look less "beefy" or something.

Homer said:
This is kinda funny, but I always think when I see the cards without the huge heatsinks, they kind of look like lame cards. I dont know why, but seeing a 6800 ultra or something with the huge heatsink on it looks 1337, then when you see just the card with no heatsink on it, it just looks like a piece of pcb :p. is it just me that thinks that? I mean I know their awesome, but they look less "beefy" or something.
lol, whenever I see cards with dual slot coolers the first thing I think of is the GeForce FX series; those definitely aren't 1337.

Homer said:

hahah hey homer im with you man, thats why my watercooled card will still have the huge heatsinks on it when its all said and done. to look "beefy" even tho its only a 6800 :/

oh and for the record i did prefer the 6800gt / 7800 look. single slot but sleek and at the same time powerful lookin.

lol.. heH! yeah - I like the looks of my GTs with those big ass coolers on them more... it makes them look more... dangerous.... threatening, if you will... like in that joke picture video card about the Bitchin'fast!3D^2000 video loca thing... there's a blurb which goes:

"We put it in a steel-cage octagon with all the other leading 3D cards and while none of the cards actually moved and attacked each other, we're confident that if they had, the Bitchin' fast!3D^2000 would have kicked all the other card's asses."

or something like that... heh... welcome to my 400ci video card *rumble*

This is my BFG 6800 'vanilla' OC. One of the two original fans broke within the first two weeks of my card's life. The plastic part of the fan actually split in half, so upgrading my cooling solution was a necessity.

The Arctic Cooling NV-Silencer is quiet, keeps the card cool, and is easy to install. The only drawback is that it doesn't leave much room for the SATA connections on my Abit KV8 Pro. As you can see from the bottom picture, it actually pushes down slighly on SATA #1, and completely blocks SATA #2.

badgadjit said:
This is my BFG 6800 'vanilla' OC. One of the two original fans broke within the first two weeks of my card's life. The plastic part of the fan actually split in half, so upgrading my cooling solution was a necessity.

The Arctic Cooling NV-Silencer is quiet, keeps the card cool, and is easy to install. The only drawback is that it doesn't leave much room for the SATA connections on my Abit KV8 Pro. As you can see from the bottom picture, it actually pushes down slighly on SATA #1, and completely blocks SATA #2.

Thats exactly what happened to my friend with his BFG, with that shitty heatpipe cooler.

Stang man that's from dynatron right? I was originally considering the same idea but opted out because of the weight of copper and the noise of the stock fan. But if you can do it props to you :cool:

mentok1982 said:
Did you leave room for the fan power pins?
Even if you do not use a fan those pins are still sticking out of the pcb right?

there should be room. If you look at where they sit on the pcb in the picture and then look at the picture of the card traced onto a piece of paper and where the heatsink will sit.. You'll see that there is just enough room. And anyways, I dont plan on using those for the fan I'll be using.

Back