The new "died in the line of duty" thread

Well a couple of bad PSUs killed a couple of motherboards. (BTW Don't ask how I didn't connect the PSUs to the board failures).

1 PCChips M851G
1 Asus P4SG-MX
1 Biostar M7NCG400 - thankfully can be RMA'd
1 ECS Nforce3 board - thankfully can be RMA'd

Ordered 4 400 FSP PSUs from Newegg to replace the bad PSUs. CPUs/RAM/Harddrives all seem to survived unscathed.

My glorious 21" CRT died today. I think it's reparable--I just need to go in and redo some of those solder joints. After safely discharging everything, of course. Now I'm stuck on this puny 17" monitor at 60Hz. It buzzes audibly, and the 60Hz is killing my eyes.

Power went off yesterday, and came back on with a bang multiply times, lost two back ups and have three boxen that can't boot from a hard drive. they will work with a live CD so all three are folding but, they absoloutly will not find the boot loader on a hard drive. used all my spare drives and loaded fresh installs, no can find.

reset bios so only option is to boot off the hard drive, they still will only check for a CD and if not there they will not boot, used the rescue function but it asks for a user name and password, but will not accept any I have tried, including root and admin.

anyone have any idea's, two of them are only two months old and should still be under warrenty but I don't want the boxen down for the length of time it will take to get that done unless that is the only option.

racercarl said:
Power went off yesterday, and came back on with a bang multiply times, lost two back ups and have three boxen that can't boot from a hard drive. they will work with a live CD so all three are folding but, they absoloutly will not find the boot loader on a hard drive. used all my spare drives and loaded fresh installs, no can find.

reset bios so only option is to boot off the hard drive, they still will only check for a CD and if not there they will not boot, used the rescue function but it asks for a user name and password, but will not accept any I have tried, including root and admin.

anyone have any idea's, two of them are only two months old and should still be under warrenty but I don't want the boxen down for the length of time it will take to get that done unless that is the only option.

Is it possible to use the uber-cool super duper Mage's Fold Server ? No hard drives, it loads its own OS, and has a built in web server for reporting how all clients are doing.

I'm using SuSE 9.1 live CD's to make them work, but if the power goes off they lose the work, I don't know if Mage's fold server would be any better, with nowhere to write to it would lose the work also, i would think.

it's the lost work that bothers me the most, plus all three of them are my biggest machines, and one is my main rig, luckily i keep almost everything well backed up on the " backup box" only thing lost was the last weeks checking transactions, all two of them ;) and the work units the three boxen were doing.

Oh and I hadn't done my [H]'s on this one yet so it's missing from my post, got to go do that.

racercarl said:
I'm using SuSE 9.1 live CD's to make them work, but if the power goes off they lose the work, I don't know if Mage's fold server would be any better, with nowhere to write to it would lose the work also, i would think.

it's the lost work that bothers me the most, plus all three of them are my biggest machines, and one is my main rig, luckily i keep almost everything well backed up on the " backup box" only thing lost was the last weeks checking transactions, all two of them ;) and the work units the three boxen were doing.

Oh and I hadn't done my [H]'s on this one yet so it's missing from my post, got to go do that.
I don't know the frequency of writes, but you do have to have 1 hard drive for the fold server itself.

When the data hits a certian check point (dunno if its WU dependtant or just a set time) it will save the data to the fold server's hard drive. I only use the fold server on 3 boxen, all fulltime dedicated older boxes. I have enough Windows licenses to run the other 4 to be able to pickup QMDs and such. The computers connected to the fold server would have their operating system loaded into the ram using netboot. If you are planning on using these computers for other reasons than folding, then you will probably not wanna use this.

My air conditioning :( It's getting a little warm in here, time to crack out those fans...

Some time back I reported that I lost my main rig during a power outage. Power went south and, in spite of an UPS, I lost my motherboard (Asus A7N8X-E, my two sticks of Corsair matched RAM, and one of two Maxtor SATA drives. CPU was also probably toast.

The place where I got the MB during an earlier crash had failed to "register" it with the supplier, so could not get a free replacement. So they offered to swap it for an Asus K8N and a Semperon 3300. Corsair replaced the RAM with no charge, although I did need to send back the original replacements. Maxtor replaced the drive. Although I was without my main rig for about one month, the new system seems faster although the motherboard has far fewer bios settings with which to muck. I have to say that I am happy with the RMA services of Corsair and Maxtor. No hassles.

lost few K6/Cyrix rigs, sold my two quad-cpu ComCrap Proliant servers, sold my K7-500, PII-400 died in the line of action, P133 laptop... its dying, 600Mhz P3 laptop toasted its powersupply (sold the rest for 200).

Down to 1 folding rig.

As of about 10:30 pm 4-29-2006, my DFI Lanparty NF2 UltraB crapped out on me. After doing a video card swap with another system and my vid card, the motherboard would no longer boot. It would power up and all the nice lights would come on, but that was it. I smelled burning electronics when I powered it up and it would cause sounds like a sine wave to play through the connected speakers. Thus, it's toast and my [email protected] is out for the count.

Currently, my main machine is now a PIII 800 with 384 meg of RAM after I somehow dug up another 128 meg stick. Due to increased use (before all it did was fold) it will probably output no more than 25-30 PPD instead of the steady 40 it was doing. For now, it looks like I'll be down about 215 PPD for the foreseeable future.

I've also lost an XP2400+ due to some stupidity by my friend. He had to put his vid card and CPU in a machine for someone else. I loaned him a Duron 950 and a PCI Voodoo 3 2000 until he can get something else in there.

This has not been a good weekend for folding for me. :(

SmokeRngs said:
As of about 10:30 pm 4-29-2006, my DFI Lanparty NF2 UltraB crapped out on me. After doing a video card swap with another system and my vid card, the motherboard would no longer boot. It would power up and all the nice lights would come on, but that was it. I smelled burning electronics when I powered it up and it would cause sounds like a sine wave to play through the connected speakers. Thus, it's toast and my [email protected] is out for the count.

Currently, my main machine is now a PIII 800 with 384 meg of RAM after I somehow dug up another 128 meg stick. Due to increased use (before all it did was fold) it will probably output no more than 25-30 PPD instead of the steady 40 it was doing. For now, it looks like I'll be down about 215 PPD for the foreseeable future.

I've also lost an XP2400+ due to some stupidity by my friend. He had to put his vid card and CPU in a machine for someone else. I loaned him a Duron 950 and a PCI Voodoo 3 2000 until he can get something else in there.

This has not been a good weekend for folding for me. :(

Sorry about your loss. Got any more ram slots in that mobo? I've got 128mb pc133 for the cost of shipping if you want it.

"Lost another one to Ditech!"

Er, sorry.

Lost yet another Coolmax PSU to the monster that is the Tyan S2460. The board is fine, the PSU will pulse the lights, then show only the +5VSB light on the tester. I swear this dually eats PSUs for the sheer hell of it...

For the record, that's three PSUs this thing has killed. One Enermax, two 450w Coolmax. I'd hand it an Antec, but it'd probably toast it and smear caviar on the carcass.

:rolleyes:

Aratech said:
Sorry about your loss. Got any more ram slots in that mobo? I've got 128mb pc133 for the cost of shipping if you want it.

Nope, only 3 RAM slots on the board and each has a 128 in it. I appreciate the offer, though. What I need to do is call up a friend of mine and get my old A7V133 and RAM back from him. I was supposed to get it a few months ago but I left his house and forget to have him look for it. That way I'd be able to run 512 in this machine. With a little CPU musical chairs I could possibly get my old 1.33 T-bird running on the board again which would be better than this PIII. I've always wanted to toss watercooling on that thing anyway and see what I could get out of it. On mid to high end air I was able to get 1.57 stable out of it.

Happened to me last night....My HTPC went down :( stupid cheap Biostar mb....hopefully it just took the MB...and the worst part is that this is my big time folder too :(

So...does anyone know of a good Socket 754 mb for my A64 3700?

roftranspo said:
Happened to me last night....My HTPC went down :( stupid cheap Biostar mb....hopefully it just took the MB...and the worst part is that this is my big time folder too :(

So...does anyone know of a good Socket 754 mb for my A64 3700?

My CD-ROM drive crapped out in my gaming rig, dual-core 4200+ Windsor (That thing can churn out WUs, I'll tell ya)

I may have one for you, It's a Gigabyte K8NS-Pro. nForce3 250 chipset, but it's normal ATX.

My HP NetServer LP2000r, armed with dual 1.4GHz Tualatins and 1GB of RAM, might be dead. I think it suffered from a heat stroke. :( They do produce a LOT of heat for a tualatin-based rig... I think it's the SCSI subsystem that's responsible.

Blitzrommel said:
I may have one for you, It's a Gigabyte K8NS-Pro. nForce3 250 chipset, but it's normal ATX.
me and gigabyte dont play well together but thanks for the offer...i just ordered me a new ASUS A8N board from the egg :)

roftranspo said:
me and gigabyte dont play well together but thanks for the offer...i just ordered me a new ASUS A8N board from the egg :)
Don't blame you. I don't like Gigabyte myself.

I put a Barton 2500 in place of my Thoroughbred 1800, and the motherboard didn't know what to do with it. Turns out the BIOS was outdated, so I flashed it with the latest version, and now it won't POST.

Good news, though. Biostar's tech support ain't half bad. I got a response in under 24 hours, and they offered to ship me a new BIOS chip. If this solves the problem, they've earned a repeat customer.

In the meantime, I'm down a box.

8gb hdd, dead. past its prime anyway
1gb hdd, made strage noises then died, also past its prime
geforce 2 started getting hot, then a compasitor exploded and dented my case :(
386 aptiva, flicked the littel red switch at the back of teh psu

good times, scary, but memorable

I lost a P4 2.8 this weekend....cant seem to resurrect it......
tis a sad day..

Antec True 550 Power supply, not 20 minutes ago. Was hooked up to my Shuttle SN45G.

The thing SHAT FLAMES.

The rest of the machine is fine, oddly enough. :D

I think the wireless card in my newly-purchased (second-hand) went out. Thanks to amenthes, though, I was able to fall back to the wired network. Yay for the reliability of copper!

Home rig (Semperon 2800+) down again (see earlier message). Storm was coming, with power outages likely so I shut it down. After the storm, restarted but now boxen locks up at Windows logon screen. I think the boxen didn't know how to behave when not folding 24/7. :rolleyes: Since most components are under mfg warranty, I've returned to the computer store for diagnosis/repair. "One week to look at it." :(

I'm wondering about whether I may have damaged the CPU when I shut down. I stopped the folding service, then immediately shut down Windows. Should one allow the CPU to cool down before shutting down a rig? Normally, this boxen runs nice and cool, so probably not an issue, but just wondering what happens to CPU temps immediately after shutdown (fans stop, heat rises?)...

Fold on.

Lost my SMP box power supply. Smelled magic smoke for about a week before it went. Stupid Raidmax 350.:( :(

Home rig (Semperon 2800+) down again (see earlier message). Storm was coming, with power outages likely so I shut it down. After the storm, restarted but now boxen locks up at Windows logon screen. I think the boxen didn't know how to behave when not folding 24/7. :rolleyes: Since most components are under mfg warranty, I've returned to the computer store for diagnosis/repair. "One week to look at it." :(

I'm wondering about whether I may have damaged the CPU when I shut down. I stopped the folding service, then immediately shut down Windows. Should one allow the CPU to cool down before shutting down a rig? Normally, this boxen runs nice and cool, so probably not an issue, but just wondering what happens to CPU temps immediately after shutdown (fans stop, heat rises?)...

Fold on.

to my knowledge, when you shut down, you lose the major heat generator (electricity) and since most computers run higher the ambient temps, there shouldnt be anything making it hotter.

Celeron 1000 was about to enroll, but it's stupid father put it's heatsink on the wrong way :mad:

I bought a P3-866, though :D

My sister's Athlon XP 2000 died a couple weeks ago, thanks to a blown PWM chip on her motherboard. She's sending the remains down here, and we'll see if I can't either 1) get something running, or 2) figure out what still works and sell the rest on eBay to help finance my new machine.

The moniter that has been hooked to all my boxen via the KVM's has gone partially south, after a bit it blanks out, then if you power it down and back up it will come back on with the sides of the screen bowwed in, power it down and back up and it will work for a day or two and start it all over again.

Finally an excuse to get the new 22" wide screen on sale at my favorite computer parts house. :)

It is looking real nice on my desktop. :D :D

I lost my X2 4400+ O/Ced at 2.65 3 days ago (my fastest SMP Folder). I lost power (my son kicked the power cord) and now it does nothing but run the fans. The motherboard just went. I'm ordering a new MB and should have it back by 23rd of Feb :( .

I either lost my ECS mobo or the 805 that was in it. I can't get it to do more than a half second spin on the fans. After taking the heat sink off, it appears that it wasn't seated very well. I should have figured that when Ubuntu was acting jumpy. I hope its not the processor. Guess this just means that I get to try some new mobos. Been wanting to get out of the ECS realm for a while now. 1 SMP folder down. ETU unknown.:(

ICE, probably the mobo out of the two, but don't rule out the PSU too quickly. Good luck.

I have a power supply tester. its functioning properly. I do doubt the processor. I will most likely have some one at work test it for me if possible.

The heatsink retention brackets broke on one of my SMP folders. I orderd a new one. Hopefully the CPU is still good.

My speakers died with a power outage last week. Fortunately (and thanks to my UPS), no production was lost. And those speakers were on their way out anyway. Ah, well, it gives me an excuse to get a new set :)

A while back, playing BF2 in a clan match (ouch...) I was in a jet droping bombs when my computer just shut down, so I just started it back up and had millions of lines on my screen and there went my 7800GT :(

The comeback of the 6600GT in SLI went in my case until I had it fixed.

The good old days...

Back