The Misunderstanding - Presented by AMD

The heat is keeping me from buying a GTX 480. It's about 25C hotter than my 5850. I keep my case on the desk, so these cards in SLI would be blowing an extra 25C+ back into my face. Nvidia has to get those temps down fast.

Temp has nothing to do with it...it is flat out about power consumption. Anybody who thinks that if 2 video cards each consumed X watts but had different outlet temperatures somehow indicated that one made less heat needs to study some thermodynamics.

Ironically, when the swat guy said "I bet we'll find something green in there", the end of the skit shows AMD with their green logo. I think it might me time for a logo change.

Wow, I think a lot of reader here need to check into a hospital and have their funny bone checked LOL. I was a Nvidia fanperson for most of my gaming life, just switched over to ATI. I even found the video pretty funny. I suppose all you who didn't laugh would have found it hilarious had it been a Nvidia video blasting the Radon 58xx, huh?

Do you think those crappy old LCDs were on purpose. Who wants a Fermi to game on 19" LCDs!!

Imagine a teenage guy trying to decide between Fermi and a $400 LCD. Which do you think that kid is going to choose? If he read the [H] he would save a few dollars by getting a 460 and spending the rest on a nicer monitor for a better gaming experience. But he doesn't read the [H] so he buys a 480 thinking that everything will look amazing and all his friends can be impressed with how loud and hot his rice burner exhaust is!! What were we talking about again??

I would so love to upgrade my GTX285 to a high end Radeon instead of getting a Fermi but it's not an option until ATI gets their folding performance up.

I didn't realize it was from AMD until the punchline. Funny stuff.

'course, I'm still rockin' my all-powerful HD3850... :rolleyes:

This has got to be one of the best videos i've ever seen of a company knocking their competitor's products. I havn't laughed this hard for a long time at a computer video.

It took me a little while to see where it was going as I originally thought they were going to make fun of the Intel Bloomfields. I still have troubling linking AMD and ATI together and i'm still too used to ATI being their own company.

I would so love to upgrade my GTX285 to a high end Radeon instead of getting a Fermi but it's not an option until ATI gets their folding performance up.

It's not so much ATI needs to get their performance up, but the ATI GPU clients are gimped. It isn't gimped on purpose, but they are just not optimized as it is clear that Stanford has chosen to focus on nVidia cards. If you look at BOINC stuff, there are many cases where ATI absolutely dominates nVidia. From what we know, the ATI folding clients are only using a fraction of the total resources.

While it was quite funny, I can't help but think I've seen videos similar to this. Oh yea, didn't Apple do the same thing with the Apple vs PC videos. :p

It was cute, but I saw it coming from a mile off.

I just ordered a GTX 460 as there was no way I was going to drop a 470 / 480 heater into my computer room. I would have gone with a 5850 a couple of months ago, but they were selling for more than I wanted to spend. Now the 5850's are coming down in price somewhat because of the 460's... just not fast enough.

I thought is was funny but mostly I like it when these companies go after each other in the market place. Now if they would just start a price war! ;)

lame

only good part was at the end where it says ati logo .,...nuff said
why didnt they spend a little money and make it good ?

I lol'd at the the dude holding the coffee cup while flipping the bird.

enjoying my water-cooled Fermi's=]

I had no idea it was an AMD thing until the punchline either, and it was quite funny. I've got a GTX 460 in this machine though, and it's much better than the standard Fermi. Our office with 4 GTX 470's (soon to be 8+) can get roasty when they're all crunching CUDA.

The worst part of the video is it's length. Could've gotten to the point and stil funny in half the time.

I did chuckle tho, especially at the guy just blankly staring at the muzzle of his weapon. :p

Kinda funny. Its hard to enjoy it though as it makes lite of a serious situation: raids on innocent people. Pot is harmless (i assume that was the 'green' the officer alluded to) and people should not be at risk of losing their freedom or their lives over it. Yeah yeah, I should lighten up. oh well.

Temp has nothing to do with it...it is flat out about power consumption. Anybody who thinks that if 2 video cards each consumed X watts but had different outlet temperatures somehow indicated that one made less heat needs to study some thermodynamics.

BAM!!!!! Quote for ages.

You have a card that uses 150 watts it's the same as having a 150 watt heater in the room, doesn't matter if it has coils that make heat, a fan that spins, or moves electrons around to crunch numbers. Heat is heat.

BAM!!!!! Quote for ages.

You have a card that uses 150 watts it's the same as having a 150 watt heater in the room, doesn't matter if it has coils that make heat, a fan that spins, or moves electrons around to crunch numbers. Heat is heat.

That's not true!!! The green color makes it cooler. Red is BAD. Red is a hot color!!! :p

This hits close to home. I had this happen to me. But my main game machine is watercooled, so I didn't have the fancy and presumably loud fan cooling these guys had going on.

Differences are, I had far more guns pointing at me, and I went to jail and had to fight and pay for my freedom. It doesn't go this far in the video, but in my case, there wasn't any real recourse I could use against the PD or the justice department. I was screwed and my rights were violated, plain and simple.

At least these guys were surveyed for "weeks." I was under surveillance for a mere hour and a half.

My house was destroyed by SWAT and the search team.

I was never charged. (In fact, I had never been previously arrested and still have not ever been charged for any crime.)

I wish I was joking.

i know its not funny, but kind of curious as to why they did and what actually happened in the end and did you sue the pd for destroying your house and property.

honestly, unless my graphics card starts a fire i don't care how hot it is as long as it works lol.

i know its not funny, but kind of curious as to why they did and what actually happened in the end and did you sue the pd for destroying your house and property.

An out of state lawyer contacted local PD and lied about me. PD did no investigation and within the hour had an invasive search warrant. The allegations were VERY serious, and because of this PD jumped the gun. Due to some local events they also wanted a high profile case and they were handed it on a silver platter basically. Wrong time, wrong people, wrong place kinda thing. Regardless, they should have done some research.

The lawyer in question had infiltrated the local justice department, PD, and other government entities to destroy documents and do his bidding back in the 70s or 80s. I guess he still has ties. His group is known for doing far worse around the world, however.

My first and second amendment rights were trampled on. I could sue the PD, but I would assuredly lose. As I am a legal firearms owner, the PD has a nice piece of information to use to spin justification in an armed takedown and they WILL use it. Second amendment my ass.

I won't say anymore now other than that it sucked, my $4000 desktop and $3000 notebook that I just put together were trashed, all of my firearms were marred or damaged and a year later, after just coming out of homelessness, my life is barely starting to come around to normalcy. Oh, and I couldn't count how many rifles were pointed at me.

Thankfully my 8800GTS SLI is still holding up and I have no need for a Fermi to cause yet another SWAT raid.

It was predictable, but I liked it.

Nice to see AMD clowning on NVidia. Its all in good fun.

I wish we had Youtube in deployed locations :(

Funny how we have youtube at our home bases lol

Either way, guess i will have to wait till i get back to my room to check this out :D

I don't really see anything funny about the video. I had this happen to a friend here in Boise and another in BC Canada. Both of them were running folding farms. The one here in Boise had six systems with 470s, the one Canada has 16 systems with 285s running.
Both of them were lucker than you True, the Police walked away after giving appoligies and no real damage was done to thier homes or property.

Ken /|\

What's funny is that, living here in the SF Bay Area, I know several people who actually do run growing operations yet have lower power bills than we do :rolleyes:

Then again 2x 4870x2 is probably one of the few setups out there that pulls more power than GTX480 SLI :p

Funny- but probably would have been more amusing if the GTX 460 wasn't out.

Yeah, the reason I got the GTX460 was that I don't need a new case or PSU. The 5830 is too long for my case and uses too much power for my VX450W PSU. My previous card was a 4850 that hit about 90C in games and 96+C in Furmark. Only 110W though.

Back