The Last of Us Part I

Finished it tonight. An all-time great game for sure, but personally, I really did enjoy Uncharted 4 more. Although I would rate the combat better in this game. Uncharted 4 combat was pretty lame. I just enjoyed all the cool locations of Uncharted 4. Hopefully we don't have to wait 4+ years for Part 2.

Finished it tonight. An all-time great game for sure, but personally, I really did enjoy Uncharted 4 more. Although I would rate the combat better in this game. Uncharted 4 combat was pretty lame. I just enjoyed all the cool locations of Uncharted 4. Hopefully we don't have to wait 4+ years for Part 2.

The combat from TLoU Part 2 is like a hybrid of the first game and Uncharted. It's still done in the same style, but with fewer make-or-break enemies bobbing and weaving at random. There's a lot more variety to the weapons and less reliance on resource management, too.

I finished the game this morning after 17.1 hours, I usually play stealth and take my sweet time since it seems easier than going in loud. It just seemed I reached SLC and then it was over. I'm going to play through it again on New Game + now that the shaders are 100% complete, also that Left Behind DLC. I know my rig is old, and I anticipated this, but it was until I was at the university that I finally reached 100%. It held up with a mix of medium and high settings at 2560x1440p 144hz, the game still looked beautiful nonetheless, and only had two crashes before the patch.

Speaking of PS4, I've been looking for used PS4s just so I can play part II lol. Overall, I enjoyed it.

Edit: I've been wanting to upgrade my rig for a while, especially have playing this game, just have to wait until I get my tax return. Thinking of going team Red for CPU, and hanging to my RTX2080i for a while until there's a sale on a RTX4080 GPU.

Last edited:
Okay maybe I'll play it now. Any crashes on the latest build? VRAM still looks a bit high but I assume this game may also just need a lot of VRAM. Possibly they can get it down more.

to be fair the vast majority of titles using tons of VRAM are AMD sponsored titles (Last of Us, Resident Evil 4)

Azls67c.jpg

So shader comp still maxes the CPU, looks like they got a ways to go before they remove the relentless task of decompressing shaders this way. I clocked 24 minutes-ish for that to finish.

Loading a save has also decreased, takes 33 seconds now vs the 43 seconds since the previous patch.

The sharpness fix using DLSS is also noticeable, game now looks a bit crisper overall at the default 67 DLSS sharpness value.

Slowly getting there...

The in game fps limiter is kind of poop at least on lower fps caps. 60 or even 70 fps was terrible looking and had some hitching when panning around but even 60 fps is smooth when using the Nvidia control panel to limit the framerate.

-Updated keyboard and mouse (KBM) controls to allow players to reassign arrow keys

did the game not previously allow you to remap the arrow keys for movement?...I always use arrow keys over WSAD for movement and any game that doesn't allow that it an automatic no buy
the only reason i could fathom anyone possibly using arrow keys over WASD to play games still is if you're left handed otherwise god rest your soul for never leaving 1995, lol.

the only reason i could fathom anyone possibly using arrow keys over WASD to play games still is if you're left handed otherwise god rest your soul for never leaving 1995, lol.

WSAD never made any sense to me as all the keys around it are bunched up too close to each other...I don't use the NumPad arrow keys but the dedicated arrow keys to the left of the NumPad...so much easier to remap everything around it...I'm a rightie but when gaming I use the arrow/keyboard with my left hand and the mouse with my right...and I dominate with my setup!

-Updated keyboard and mouse (KBM) controls to allow players to reassign arrow keys

did the game not previously allow you to remap the arrow keys for movement?...I always use arrow keys over WSAD for movement and any game that doesn't allow that it an automatic no buy

I found out what this fixed...previously pre-patch you could use the arrow keys for movement but they still retained their previous function of inventory selection...meaning whenever you pressed them to move, they'd also cycle through the item selection menu....now with patch 1.0.3.0 that's been fixed...I can't believe games still get released with simple quality of life issues like this broken

Anone with a 4090 playing this? What fps are you getting at 3440x1440? With or without DLSS I always get around 100fps, you'd expect DLSS to increase fps but nope, seems the engine is limited in some way, probably the lack of CPU optimisation resulting in this discovery. Not complaining just a curious observation.

12700KF here btw.

I also notice that since the last patch the native resolution picture quality is softer than when DLSS is enabled.

See here:

Native:

DLSS Quality:

And DLSS Performance, note the fps:

So I finished the game finally on normal mode, I found the overall story interesting although I have already read spoilers on both games because this franchise and its sequel have been all over the internet for years already. I did not have any issues technically, there were a few slowdowns into the upper 60s and 70s but generally the game ran at 100 fps with all the eye candy and it looked as good as a console port can look on a widescreen at 3440x1440.

I wish the sequel was available on pc but we all know how that's going and regarding the story with no spoilers, Joel was given the shit end of the deal right from the start and he became the bastard he needed to become to exist in that world.

Oh and when civilization collapses and we all live in a "might makes right" environment, stay the hell out of the city. :barefoot:

I must be the only person on planet that has not heard of any spoilers for this game. About to be done with Uncharted 4 and look forward to this masterpiece. I did hear Last of Us 2 was quite controversial and a lot of people hated it? But not like it's even a consideration as there is no announced sequel for PC yet...

I enjoyed this game. Although I don't think it quite lives up to the hype, but I do keep in mind this came out in 2013 originally but I still feel even for that time it doesn't quite live up to the hype. The story relies too much on black outs, a common video game cheat to progress a story forward without doing much writing, and massive time shifts rather than fill in backstory. I also don't feel like Joel and Ellie had enough screen time showing why Joel changed his mind/life perspective. There was really only one on screen scene that was convincing for Joel's change of heart. And while I assume it was supposed to be less eventful, the game takes you from Pittsburgh to Wyoming without any commentary of what happened between.

I knew the story wouldn't be of a higher level but assumed it would nail character interactions. And we learned so little about the virus itself which was odd. I feel like Days Gone actually had more of a story in some ways and actually had some backstory and commentary on the virus origins. Maybe I was expecting too much, but I knew the gameplay would be a bit basic. I just assumed it would be more on par with Mass Effect and Deus Ex in terms of story telling.

Technically it ran fine, although is very demanding even with DLSS. I had maybe one crash. It is one of the better looking games I've seen although I still thing it runs fairly poorly for how it looks.

Last edited:
Yeah the gameplay is fun in the second game, but
the whole trying to get you to sympathize with the other side while forcing me to play as Abby was a horrible experience for me. I killed her so many times trying to just get it to end so I could move on but there was no skip the whole 10hour or more Abby section which killed my motivation to play the game. I know what they were trying to do, but it didn't help me want to play the game at all since I am usually using the story to make me continue playing a game instead of moving onto the next game in my backlog.
At least that is why for me, I may not even buy the second game on PC.

the whole trying to get you to sympathize with the other side while forcing me to play as Abby was a horrible experience for me. I killed her so many times trying to just get it to end so I could move on but there was no skip the whole 10hour or more Abby section which killed my motivation to play the game. I know what they were trying to do, but it didn't help me want to play the game at all since I am usually using the story to make me continue playing a game instead of moving onto the next game in my backlog.

Agreed, and a bit more made me dislike the story, Here's my thoughts:
Post in thread 'The Last of Us: Part II' https://hardforum.com/threads/the-last-of-us-part-ii.1918981/post-1045591763

I couldn't wait to finish the Ellie part fast enough to get there, even if then I only suspected you'll play as the other character later. To me that was the most fun part of the game, the tank combat style is much closer to my usual play style in shooters, plus I also liked the character regardless of other events.

so I noticed that at the end of part 1, Joel didn't necessarily have to kill the doctor working on Ellie, he could've done other less lethal things but he went ballistic and stabbed him in the throat, in retrospect, I know that this is how the story is written but in my mind it was definitely bad judgement on Joels part because in that world as it existed, medical personnel or anybody with a minimum of medical training is essential. In part 2 we learn that this was Abby's dad or something and the uproar over the game aside from Joel getting killed was having to play as Abby, I thought the entire game was having to play as Abby but it turns out its only maybe half or a quarter of the game?

This game… man, I was so pumped for this on the PC, having never played it before. But the performance on my 3090/9900k was abysmal and completely ruined the experience for me. I can’t put up with any kind of stutter anymore. I just can’t. Huge disappointment for me personally.

Just wait until you play part 2 Flogger23m . The gameplay is more fun, the story though, well, it's even worse.

I am wanting to play it. I do wonder if it comes to PC if it will be a graphical downgrade from this. They won't remake it from scratch seeing as it is from 2020. Maybe with enough upgrades it will reach parity. Hoping such a thing happens sooner rather than later. I hear good things about the TV show and will probably watch it once I play the 2nd game.

I am wanting to play it. I do wonder if it comes to PC if it will be a graphical downgrade from this. They won't remake it from scratch seeing as it is from 2020. Maybe with enough upgrades it will reach parity. Hoping such a thing happens sooner rather than later. I hear good things about the TV show and will probably watch it once I play the 2nd game.
You are better off watching the TV Show before playing the second game as the show only covered the first game so far.

hopefully this is the big update that fixes the majority of issues

The Last of Us Part I PC Update 1.0.4

The Last of Us Part I PC update 1.0.4 promises to optimize CPU and GPU use, boost the game’s fidelity on lower settings, improve shader building, deal with various issues connected to AMD processors, and more...the update is a beefy one, weighing in at over 25 GB, so it's likely packing even more tweaks than Naughty Dog explicitly spells out...

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1888930/view/5815877879410560069

Last edited:
I hope this patch fixes the crashes I started getting the other day. All of a sudden last weekend I could not even go more than 10 minutes without the game just freezing up and eventually closing.

Nope still freezing up for me and this time it was when I tried to go back to menu....

Patch 1.04 optimization improvements are there but are not as big as expected...VRAM usage is slightly lower than before, leading to minor performance improvements in certain scenarios...I'm guessing another 2-3 major patches and the game will be in decent shape...

VRAM usage is certainly lower from me but I think some of the textures look lower resolution than what they were before on max settings. I don't even have to go out of my way to see some things right in front of me look quite blurry and pretty low res compared to before. In fact, some of the foliage looks laughably low compared to what I remember previously.

VRAM usage is certainly lower from me but I think some of the textures look lower resolution than what they were before on max settings. I don't even have to go out of my way to see some things right in front of me look quite blurry and pretty low res compared to before. In fact, some of the foliage looks laughably low compared to what I remember previously.
Why would they remove this, why not just add add another setting? Seems stupid.

Why would they remove this, why not just add add another setting? Seems stupid.
Probably because they'd have to change code to do that and don't want to accidentally break something. Now it's just a direct lower res texture replacement dump. Later on they can just make an optional high res texture pack free download that has the original textures in it.

DLSS even on quality also seems jacked up after the patch. The area I was in looked horrible with lots of shimmering and aliasing especially when I had my flashlight pointed at things. I mean I could see the lines crawling on Ellie's backpack and her hair just fizzling and the wall was shimmering. I turned off DLSS and the image cleared right up and looked so much better.

Back