The Last of Us Part I

This shouldn't be the norm, though. I don't understand what they gain from releasing broken POSs other than bad press.
oh i agree 100%.. But they only listen to your wallet nothing else.. And gaming is so mainstream now... The mainstream out weigh the people who care. ( us )

no matter how much bad press the PC port gets it's not really going to hurt Naughty Dog's reputation...they have a history of best in class games- Uncharted, Last of Us- so people will forget (plus most people continue to blame Iron Galaxy)...did Cyberpunk 2077's launch really hurt CDPR in the long run?...they've sort of rebounded now with all the patches and updates they've released

no matter how much bad press the PC port gets it's not really going to hurt Naughty Dog's reputation...they have a history of best in class games- Uncharted, Last of Us- so people will forget (plus most people continue to blame Iron Galaxy)...did Cyberpunk 2077's launch really hurt CDPR in the long run?...they've sort of rebounded now with all the patches and updates they've released
CDPR's stock value and the lawsuits they had to deal with probably wasn't worth them releasing that game in the state it was in back in 2020.

So you’re saying we need some psycho rich whale willing to sue the pants off Naughty Dog? Sweet.
No I'm just saying that CDPR's rep wasn't strong enough to just shrug off the fall out of Cyberpunk 2077. The situation with TLOU pc port is much different since the remake was successfully launched on PS5.

I guess instead of blaming the DEV's. Or gay coders you guys are complaining about. Could it be possibly that Nvidia is to blame?

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce...s-part-1-resident-evil-4-remake-issues-on-pc/

GeForce hotfix display driver version 531.58 is based on our latest Game Ready Driver 531.41

This hotfix addresses the following issues:
  • [The Last of Us Part 1] Game may randomly crash during gameplay on GeForce RTX 30 series GPUs [4031676]
No, because it still crashes, just later into a session lol. Also this hotfix driver has degraded performance:

on hotfix 531.58
Average framerate
89.5 FPS
Minimum framerate
58.7 FPS
Maximum framerate
114.7 FPS
1% low framerate
63.6 FPS
0.1% low framerate
55.7 FPS

vs before on Studio 531.41:

Average framerate
109.4 FPS
Minimum framerate
82.1 FPS
Maximum framerate
143.7 FPS
1% low framerate
71.7 FPS
0.1% low framerate
52.2 FPS

Also the hotfix game patch increased shader comp time from 23 to 26 minutes, and game save load time from 43 seconds to just over 1 minute.

I installed the Nvidia hotfix driver and the game crashed within seconds. I tried again and the shader comp time was pretty much the same as always at just under 20 minutes.

The hotfix driver fixed the DLSS crashing, at least for me. Between that and the series of patches, the game runs at least to a playable level, nearly on par with the Uncharted 4 port at this point.

The insane shader comp time is still there, not sure if that will ever be fixed, but at least I can play it now on my 3080ti with the settings cranked to nearly Ultra. A few have to be turned down as it breaks 12GB of VRAM.

The hotfix driver fixed the DLSS crashing, at least for me. Between that and the series of patches, the game runs at least to a playable level, nearly on par with the Uncharted 4 port at this point.

The insane shader comp time is still there, not sure if that will ever be fixed, but at least I can play it now on my 3080ti with the settings cranked to nearly Ultra. A few have to be turned down as it breaks 12GB of VRAM.

Any other crashes?

I played for a couple hours with no crashes. The patches and updated driver fixed things for me. Although the game still doesn't look/run as good as Uncharted 4, in my opinion.
I don't know how you would think this game looks worse than Uncharted 4. Last of us part 1 has way better graphics overall.

Pretty sad that some of the effects are worse than the PS5 such as light shafts and SSR.

Another look at the game and you can see some areas of the game are black. That reminded me that Digital Foundry had also showed that even on max settings some parts of the game would be black too.

Last edited:
Due to the lengthy shader compilation Steam has made an exception to its two-hour refund period and is offering refunds to any players who purchased TLOU, no questions asked...that's an indictment of how bad this launch situation is...

Last edited:
I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that hasn't had any technical issues. Loving the story so far as I've just reached Winter. The textures, lighting and atmosphere is astounding.

Game seems to run a little bit better with this patch. The improvements to texture streaming seem to have helped quite a bit.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that hasn't had any technical issues. Loving the story so far as I've just reached Winter. The textures, lighting and atmosphere is astounding.
It may have ran fine for you according to your standards but that does not change the fact that the light shafts and SSR are objectively worse than the PS5 and the black texture corruption occurs in some spots for everyone that has done an in depth analysis.

One thing I have noticed that bothers me is some type of shimmering I occasionally see. It is almost like a moiré effect is the only way I can describe it.

Last edited:
Well the good news is that this big patch has meant some noticeable improvements over the previous hotfix.

1: The game loads quicker now, the launch game loaded a save in 43 seconds, the last hotfix increased save loads to over 1 minute, now the load time has gone back down to 43 seconds.

2: The shader compilation was weird, first load after this big patch and nvidia hotfix driver re-install the main screen showed 98% compiled within 20 seconds and I thought it was done. Loaded the game and played all fine, circa 100fps. running nicely and CPU usage was not high as if shader comp was happening in the background. Just loaded it up now and it's looking like it's resuming compilation and started at 25%, I walked away to use the loo, came back within 5 mins and the compilation was done, so looks like this has been massively improved although I can't say exactly how long it took but must have been ~10 minutes - Weird but fine.

3: I also installed the hotfix Nvidia driver as mentioned above to see if the performance degrade seen in the pre-patch version of the game was sorted. It largely is. In the menus it seems to drop the fps to a bit over 60 it seems but when you go back into the game it's ~100. It's still lower than the non hotfix driver, but not by the 20 odd fps I was seeing before. Also no more crash with this patch + driver combo.

4: Mouse camera judder remains, we will be waiting a while for that I can feel it......

Shader comp goes right to 98% for me too after the patch too and the save loaded much faster also. It appears that cpu usage and power consumption are down a little bit compared to before the patch.

Seems like a good patch, any idea when the next patch is due? Seems like it will need another update or two to iron out most of the issues. Will probably consider giving it a try once any mouse issues are fixed.

Seems like a good patch, any idea when the next patch is due? Seems like it will need another update or two to iron out most of the issues. Will probably consider giving it a try once any mouse issues are fixed.
I would largely say most performance issues are resolved. It’s safe to buy now if you’re using a controller.

I would largely say most performance issues are resolved. It’s safe to buy now if you’re using a controller.

would be pretty incredible if they fixed most of the issues after just 1 major patch (and 2 hotfixes)...that means all they needed to do was delay the game for 1 week...I got the game for cheap from someone selling their AMD bundle code but am still going to wait for a few more patches

Looks like this game has shooting, so will have to wait longer. Not going to use a controller for this.

would be pretty incredible if they fixed most of the issues after just 1 major patch (and 2 hotfixes)...that means all they needed to do was delay the game for 1 week...I got the game for cheap from someone selling their AMD bundle code but am still going to wait for a few more patches

Generally the case with most Sony ports. Might be rough on launch but 3-4 weeks they're typically fixed.

Generally the case with most Sony ports. Might be rough on launch but 3-4 weeks they're typically fixed.

usually takes a few months- Horizon Zero Dawn, Returnal (still not fixed), Sackboy, Uncharted: Legacy of Thieves

Not saying the game does not still have some issues but a lot of people on the steam forums just need to accept their outdated pos system finally met a game that is too much for it to handle properly. You have people on there even with 8gb of system ram and outdated 4 core cpus trying to run the game. If your pc is that bad then you are foolish buying modern AAA games especially at anywhere near full price.

Not saying the game does not still have some issues but a lot of people on the steam forums just need to accept their outdated pos system finally met a game that is too much for it to handle properly. You have people on there even with 8gb of system ram and outdated 4 core cpus trying to run the game. If your pc is that bad then you are foolish buying modern AAA games especially at anywhere near full price.

who do you think they are mostly patching the game for?...at launch it ran decent for people with uber end hardware...it's the mid to lower end hardware that is seeing most of the problems...plus the system requirements were total BS...you cannot release a game for only the top 5% of gamers to be able to play...they need to fix the VRAM and CPU optimization across the board

who do you think they are mostly patching the game for?...at launch it ran decent for people with uber end hardware...it's the mid to lower end hardware that is seeing most of the problems...plus the system requirements were total BS...you cannot release a game for only the top 5% of gamers to be able to play...they need to fix the VRAM and CPU optimization across the board
This.

Yeah VRAM requirements are absurd, just poor programming. They are investigating a potential memory leak according to the recent patch log. 8GB should be fine for 2560x1440, maybe even ultra side 1440. 4K? No way.

I tried to be as clear as possible that I was talking about people with really outdated and/or slow comps that did not even come close to meeting min requirements for this game or probably any other recent AAA release. People are foolish trying to play a game like this with some of the pc specs I see on there and no patches are going to fully fix stuff like that.

That said the game is not optimized very well and the vram issues are crazy for the level of textures you are getting.

The Last of Us Part 1 PC- Patch 1.0.1.7 vs Patch 1.0.2.0 Performance | RTX 4080 | i7 10700F

The Last of Us Part 1 PC- Patch 1.0.1.7 vs Patch 1.0.2.0 Performance | RTX 4080 | i7 10700F

So no real difference in performance for that level of hardware.

Wow that 11700 is a massive cpu limitation though for the 4080 at 1440p. And to think we have some people using a 4090 at that res sometimes with a cpu no better than that or worse.

Out of curiosity, I wanted to see how much the shader comp process had improved so I deleted the shader folder from the game files to get a fresh start on the whole process. Before this patch it would just really push my CPU so hard in the first half of the process but after the patch it's only around 50% instead of 100%. That of course meant temps were not even close to an issue only going into the 60s and 70s at most where as before I was going into the 90s and even hitting 100 at times in the first half of the process.

And surprisingly, even though it's only using about half the CPU as it did before during the process, it actually completed the process quite a bit faster. Before the patch it was typically 18 to 19 minutes but after the patch, it was under 12 minutes. Now 12 minutes is still absolutely ridiculous and there's no other game I know of that even takes probably more than a minute or so on the initial shader comp process.

The Last of Us Part 1 Patch 1.0.2.0 Tested- Does the game run better now?

https://overclock3d.net/reviews/sof...0_2_0_tested_-_does_the_game_run_better_now/1

1.jpg

2.jpg

So started a New Game+ again but this time on Grounded+ with the new patch and NV driver, have to say it's running superbly, no major frame drops in certain areas, it does still drop in some places but it's not noticeable at all with Vsync, just annoying about the camera panning judder with the mouse which is more obvious now because the frame pacing has been improved in this latest patch as well as CPU usage.

Here's what mine's running like:

I'm happy enough to continue this run on Grounded+

YqjCvBe.jpg

Also, this was a bit amusing, the focus on fine details to make the experience more realistic, yet they forgot to code in the motion light in the bathroom when you're left to the wall:cry:

Installed the latest hotfix drivers and the game had to redo all the shaders. It took 32 mins on my main rig. :facepalm: Definitely want to finish it now so I don't have to do that again if I update the drivers. I am right by the end, just after the David section. Still though it's kind of nuts that it takes so dam long definitely no change from my initial day 1 install. IIRC I thought it was 28 minutes, but it's possible I just misread the start time since I wasn't really paying attention too closely like I was this time around.

Back