• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The iPad 2

I'm sure it will. There really isn't a real competitor out yet that does something the iPad doesn't at the right price point. But to think that this is Apple's market to be dominated by it long term is a bit premature. Google, RIM, HP and the one that we really haven't heard from yet Microsoft will not let Apple own this market beyond next year.

It's going to get FIERCE and I think consumers are going to win BIG TIME.

for once, heatless, i agree with you on your opinion about tablets!

Anyone considering a $350 refurbed ipad1? It's tempting me oh so much.
 
EP121 = a real computer running the world's most popular OS, Windows, and ready to run any Windows app you'd care to toss at it. Or Linux if you're so inclined. Or dare I say it, even OSX.

iPad = not a real computer, butt the sheepl---errr... buyers could care less. ;)

not a real computer, but its nice enough for web browsing, and, if the Nook Color (holy fuck, that thing is 200 dollars, and so hackable?) didn't exist, would be my on the go news consumption device of choice....

definitely has real, excellent niches that it can service.... iOS is beautiful, and has excellent performance.....

and despite my love for android, iOS's app store and web browser are indeed, tops for mobile devices...
 
I think I'll wait until gen 3 of this device. By then it will be a better display, possibly faster network coverage (more data for cheaper, too) and USB or SD card slot of some kind.

I would really like to see some sort of file system, so you could actually create some light end content on it. It's a nice start with iMovie and Garageband.

I'll stick with my iPad gen 1 in the meantime :D I'm very happy with it.
 
I see no reason to purchase this over the honeycomb based tablets. The App store is the only real reason left but that advantage is rapidly shrinking. I guess there is a reason why the Ipad 3 rumors were coming out so soon. The Ipad 2 is nothing special.

Where are the Honeycomb tablets for under $500 with a great IPS display and a vast selection of best-in-class apps/games? Also please direct me to one that will always have the latest OS version, since the 4 different versions of Android that have been released in the last year are getting to be a bit much (2.1, 2.2, 2.3, and 3.0). Plus 2.4 is coming out soon too, can't wait to see what is in that so most people won't get it. We Galaxy Tabs at work, really helped out Google and Samsung's bottom line I am sure. Now its basically a certainty that these will never get an official update to Honeycomb. Really? They can't even get their shit together to update a $700 tablet to the new tablet version of Android? Oh but if we buy the upcoming Galaxy Tab 10.1 we will get Honeycomb. F that.

I find the quality of the Android software and the user experience on them to be really lacking compared to the iPads we have. Some of the buggy shit in the Android market is so bad it blows my mind that Google lets it stay on there. I really think the software lead Apple has is getting too big to ignore and I continue to see inferior versions of things show up in the Android app store.
 
Where are the Honeycomb tablets for under $500 with a great IPS display and a vast selection of best-in-class apps/games? Also please direct me to one that will always have the latest OS version, since the 4 different versions of Android that have been released in the last year are getting to be a bit much (2.1, 2.2, 2.3, and 3.0). Plus 2.4 is coming out soon too, can't wait to see what is in that so most people won't get it. We Galaxy Tabs at work, really helped out Google and Samsung's bottom line I am sure. Now its basically a certainty that these will never get an official update to Honeycomb. Really? They can't even get their shit together to update a $700 tablet to the new tablet version of Android? Oh but if we buy the upcoming Galaxy Tab 10.1 we will get Honeycomb. F that.

I find the quality of the Android software and the user experience on them to be really lacking compared to the iPads we have. Some of the buggy shit in the Android market is so bad it blows my mind that Google lets it stay on there. I really think the software lead Apple has is getting too big to ignore and I continue to see inferior versions of things show up in the Android app store.

Its at a point where I will never buy a Samsung Android product. Motorola was slow in updating the DX, but nothing compares to how long it took for Samsung to update the Galaxy. I doubt they will ever update the Tab and instead ask users to upgrade to a new version of the Tab with Honeycomb.
 
Love them or hate them you have to admit what other tablet options can let you surf, play 3D games, email, ebooks, etc? Every other tablet i've seen is absolute garbage. Even the Windows 7 ones are terrible.

Almost Every......... other... one ? Unless I'm missing something here. :confused:
 
Almost Every......... other... one ? Unless I'm missing something here. :confused:

I don't think so. I do all of these tasks daily on my "terrible" Windows 7 slates except 3D gaming, there's plenty of Windows games obviously but few of them are touch optimized. But I do a few things on my Windows devices beyond mobile OS devices like real-time handwriting recognition, full blown Office, etc.

The capabilities of slates across a broad spectrum of activities are actually quite similar, even Windows devices can play Angry Birds these days.
 
I don't think so. I do all of these tasks daily on my "terrible" Windows 7 slates except 3D gaming, there's plenty of Windows games obviously but few of them are touch optimized. But I do a few things on my Windows devices beyond mobile OS devices like real-time handwriting recognition, full blown Office, etc.

The capabilities of slates across a broad spectrum of activities are actually quite similar, even Windows devices can play Angry Birds these days.

Speaking of 3D games. You know what could be cool? A fully touch based Diablo clone. Not something like Dungeon Hunter on iOS devices, but one with full touch control and not an on-screen d-pad or on-screen attack buttons. Fully gesture based.
 
I don't think so. I do all of these tasks daily on my "terrible" Windows 7 slates except 3D gaming, there's plenty of Windows games obviously but few of them are touch optimized. But I do a few things on my Windows devices beyond mobile OS devices like real-time handwriting recognition, full blown Office, etc.

The capabilities of slates across a broad spectrum of activities are actually quite similar, even Windows devices can play Angry Birds these days.

The combination of desktop Windows and non touch optimized apps is what has prevented Windows slates and tablets from gaining any momentum in the last decade though.
 
huh? where did I call anyone's mother dumb?


anyway, even the guys I was arguing with agree with my main point that an iPad is a *horrible* idea for someone with *no other computer*........

You didn't read my post did you? I read yours. MY POINT is that you are using your 80-yr old grandparents as some narrow standard for defining casual users when I know for a FACT there are tons of people both young and old who find your so called Windows 7 standard too difficult. Seriously. You did indirectly diss my mom. Don't lie.
 
I was excited about the Xoom outside of the price. Now it's looking like iPad 2 for me this round.
 
I was really interested in getting the Nook Color for 200 dollars but I feel like I'd be much more satisfied if I paid more and got the iPad 2.
 
The combination of desktop Windows and non touch optimized apps is what has prevented Windows slates and tablets from gaining any momentum in the last decade though.

Along with heat, size and battery life agreed. But of those problems only battery life remains and Windows 8 ARM and more power efficient x86 processors should improve that.

However I do think that many people think that Windows 7 simply doesn't work well in ALL activities with touch and that simply isn't true. Web browsing in IE 9 on the EP121 is VERY compelling. Big beautiful screen, pretty responsive multi-touch, support for all plug-ins known to man, even Firefox 4 has decent touch support now though it's not as good as IE. Throw in the fantastic handwriting recognition capabilities with a Wacom pen digitizer and posting to forums while lying in the bed is a breeze.

Windows 7 slates have MANY weaknesses but they have some very unique strengths as well when coupled with great hardware like the EP121.
 
I was really interested in getting the Nook Color for 200 dollars but I feel like I'd be much more satisfied if I paid more and got the iPad 2.
What about the Viewsonic G Tablet at $360? It's a Tegra 2 dual-core device that has a very active modding community behind it.
 
Where are the $500 Honeycombs. Sure you could hack a Nook or something but out of the box Honeycombs aren't cheap right now. The thing is that Android needs to differentiate itself from the iPad and right now it's not, not in a significant way to the average user.

The same can be said for virtually every other Apple hardware based device but yet people see no problem paying for more on those respected devices. Can't use a value defense with a company that is well known for charging high prices for there products. In this case, I wouldn't mind paying more for the xoom which is an all around better product.
 
The same can be said for virtually every other Apple hardware based device but yet people see no problem paying for more on those respected devices. Can't use a value defense with a company that is well known for charging high prices for there products. In this case, I wouldn't mind paying more for the xoom which is an all around better product.

Not sure if I understand your point. In the case of slates currently Apple is the apparent price and value leader.
 
The iPad is clearly much slower than the Xoom. The iPad 2? Hard to say. In nine days, I suspect well know.

No, it really isn't hard to say. It's quite obvious. Apple only claims to have doubled JavaScript performance - they need to increase it 4x to come close (and this is Apple - they are never conservative in their estimates nor humble in their self praising). And page load times they need to speed up by like 10x. Dual core is largely useless because webkit isn't multithreaded, thus the iPad 2's browser is only going to be marginally faster in most cases, 2x in javascript heavy ones. That still puts it miles behind the Xoom.

But even if the iPad 2 manages to come within half the speed of the Xoom (spoiler: it won't), it still has the same sucky Safari UI and functionality of the original iPad.

Its at a point where I will never buy a Samsung Android product. Motorola was slow in updating the DX, but nothing compares to how long it took for Samsung to update the Galaxy. I doubt they will ever update the Tab and instead ask users to upgrade to a new version of the Tab with Honeycomb.

Samsung actually updated the international version of the Galaxy S in a reasonable time frame. The US carriers just suck at pushing out and approving updates - either that, or the different version for each carrier really cost them.

Regardless, the real problem is the customizations OEMs do - that is what costs them the most.

Where are the Honeycomb tablets for under $500 with a great IPS display and a vast selection of best-in-class apps/games?

No where to be found - yet. But let me ask you this, where is an iPad without a shitty web browser? The primary thing I do on my laptop/netbook is surf the web. For a device that claims to be able to replace netbooks, having a solid web browser is *far* more important to me than a bunch of stupid apps and games that I'm never going to pay for anyway.

Also please direct me to one that will always have the latest OS version, since the 4 different versions of Android that have been released in the last year are getting to be a bit much (2.1, 2.2, 2.3, and 3.0).

Easy, the Xoom.

Also, are you seriously upset that Android improves quickly? Kind of a lame complaint, to be honest. I'd be more upset that iOS 4.3 didn't do anything. Apple improved the hardware but didn't do squat to the software.

Plus 2.4 is coming out soon too, can't wait to see what is in that so most people won't get it.

What is this 2.4 you speak of?

We Galaxy Tabs at work, really helped out Google and Samsung's bottom line I am sure. Now its basically a certainty that these will never get an official update to Honeycomb. Really? They can't even get their shit together to update a $700 tablet to the new tablet version of Android? Oh but if we buy the upcoming Galaxy Tab 10.1 we will get Honeycomb. F that.

Well, I'd wait to see if the Galaxy Tab does get an update before blasting Samsung, but I'm pretty sure everyone called that the Galaxy Tab wasn't going to be well supported.

I find the quality of the Android software and the user experience on them to be really lacking compared to the iPads we have. Some of the buggy shit in the Android market is so bad it blows my mind that Google lets it stay on there. I really think the software lead Apple has is getting too big to ignore and I continue to see inferior versions of things show up in the Android app store.

Some of the awesome apps Apple refuses to let in or takes over a year to approve blows my mind that people put up with that shit. I would rather have full access to everything including buggy apps (which I would promptly uninstall and/or not install in the first place since that is usually pretty obvious from the reviews) than limited access to only apps that meet Apple's guidlines and random, every changing rules. Free market ftw!
 
Samsung actually updated the international version of the Galaxy S in a reasonable time frame. The US carriers just suck at pushing out and approving updates - either that, or the different version for each carrier really cost them.

Regardless, the real problem is the customizations OEMs do - that is what costs them the most.

There is a lot of he said she said going on with it, but what I've heard most is that Samsung was trying to charge carriers for the update while everyone else gives it to them. Carriers were, of course, not happy and fighting it. If thats true its pretty poor form for Samsung.
 
Wha? Xoom doesn't have Netflix? What a shame not to take advantage of the only tablet with HD resolution.

There are issues with Android and DRM. Mainly that there is no standardized DRM scheme on the platform. They're working on getting a version of the player out though, but there is no timeline.
 
No, it really isn't hard to say. It's quite obvious. Apple only claims to have doubled JavaScript performance - they need to increase it 4x to come close (and this is Apple - they are never conservative in their estimates nor humble in their self praising). And page load times they need to speed up by like 10x. Dual core is largely useless because webkit isn't multithreaded, thus the iPad 2's browser is only going to be marginally faster in most cases, 2x in javascript heavy ones. That still puts it miles behind the Xoom.

But even if the iPad 2 manages to come within half the speed of the Xoom (spoiler: it won't), it still has the same sucky Safari UI and functionality of the original iPad.

Funn, according to Anandtech its scoring identically to the zoom in sunspider, making that entire rant very hilarious.
 
So they just copied everything that all the new android tablets have.... clever?

I won't buy any tablet until we get good graphics cards that can actually game, and they can keep the price under $400 (with no lame duck contracts either)...

until then, me and all the other techies will stick to beefy laptops as our "all in 1" package. Tablets cannot come close to a good laptop with a good graphics card. They are a good replacement for most people though, as most people just go to youtube, watch porn, and browse text based websites the remainder of the time.

Perfect for most idiots, but this ipad2 is nothing new..... the next gen android tablets coming soon will make this ipad2 obsolete and way overpriced (like it isn't already?)

They will still get a lot of Apples' main customer base, the "I gotta get this first to showoff" people with more money than interest in the actual technology.
 
So they just copied everything that all the new android tablets have.... clever?

I won't buy any tablet until we get good graphics cards that can actually game, and they can keep the price under $400 (with no lame duck contracts either)...

until then, me and all the other techies will stick to beefy laptops as our "all in 1" package. Tablets cannot come close to a good laptop with a good graphics card. They are a good replacement for most people though, as most people just go to youtube, watch porn, and browse text based websites the remainder of the time.

Perfect for most idiots, but this ipad2 is nothing new..... the next gen android tablets coming soon will make this ipad2 obsolete and way overpriced (like it isn't already?)

They will still get a lot of Apples' main customer base, the "I gotta get this first to showoff" people with more money than interest in the actual technology.


Thanks for the most ironic post of the century.
 
Many reasons to consider, but companies who aren't Apple have released such products in spite of those reasons. How'd that work out?
How'd it work out? Haha, awesome. The Apple jailbreaking community thinks it's working well too.

A filesystem that is not accessable is not justification for not including usb functionality, it's an excuse for not including things other devices incorporate.
 
No, it really isn't hard to say. It's quite obvious. Apple only claims to have doubled JavaScript performance - they need to increase it 4x to come close.
Their specific claim is as follows:
As you surf the web, your fingers will love the responsiveness of the new Nitro JavaScript engine powering Safari. It runs JavaScript up to twice as fast as in iOS 4.2.
Testing conducted by Apple in February 2011 using SunSpider JavaScript benchmark version 0.9.1 with prerelease software and shipping hardware. Actual results may vary.
Note that it says "prerelease software and shipping hardware" — the iPad 2 was not shipping hardware in February. Given a single core in the Cortex A9 reportedly in the A5 is significantly faster than the Cortex A8 in the A4 (in Anand's words, the Cortex A9 should "destroy" the A8), and given the clock speed is unknown (some have suggested 1.2 GHz), it's entirely possible that the iPad 2 will close the gap significantly. As I said before, we cannot be certain until we see benchmarks. Also note that I never claimed that the iPad 2 would be faster — I suggested that the iPad 2 may not be "much slower" than the Xoom.

And page load times they need to speed up by like 10x.
I wouldn't expect page load times to increase dramatically. Loading performance may improve moderately, however. Apple hasn't been nearly as aggressive as Google has with respect to improving browser performance, but the now enormous gap may begin to close somewhat. As I said, we'll find out exactly where the iPad 2 ends up once we see it benchmarked.

But even if the iPad 2 manages to come within half the speed of the Xoom (spoiler: it won't), it still has the same sucky Safari UI and functionality of the original iPad.
Mobile Safari isn't the only browser you can use in iOS.
 
Funn, according to Anandtech its scoring identically to the zoom in sunspider, making that entire rant very hilarious.

Link?

And sunspider just tests javascript performance, not other very important things like page load performance.
 
Its at a point where I will never buy a Samsung Android product. Motorola was slow in updating the DX, but nothing compares to how long it took for Samsung to update the Galaxy. I doubt they will ever update the Tab and instead ask users to upgrade to a new version of the Tab with Honeycomb.

This is the main problem with Android, Google gave up too much when they let the mfg's customize Android how they see fit. Don't get me wrong, I love Android far more than iOS, it's a great os, just saddled with crappy implementations. Anyone who thought that Samsung would've changed the way they operate their mobile division, frankly, is delusional (myself included). Samsung could hand me a GalaxyTab 10.1, and I probably wouldn't keep it, because I don't want to put up with their crap.

One thing that frustrates me, is that if removable storage is included on a tablet, it is in microSD form. Why on earth would someone put a microSD slot on something 7+ inches? How hard would it be to include a regular SD card slot? FFS!

On the subject of the Motorola Xoom, I would buy one, if I didn't have to give Verizon any money just to use a feature that has nothing to do with them.

What I'm looking for in a tablet is: 7"+ IPS (no AMOLED), at least 16GB storage with SD slot (not microSD) or 32GB+ without SD, no stupid crap like TouchWiz or Sense, usable WiFi, semi-decent battery life (5+ hours) and a stylus. For less than $900. Please?
 
What I'm looking for in a tablet is: 7"+ IPS (no AMOLED), at least 16GB storage with SD slot (not microSD) or 32GB+ without SD, no stupid crap like TouchWiz or Sense, usable WiFi, semi-decent battery life (5+ hours) and a stylus. For less than $900. Please?

Other than the 7" IPS screen you just desribed the HP Slate which has an 8.9" TN screen.
 
One thing that frustrates me, is that if removable storage is included on a tablet, it is in microSD form. Why on earth would someone put a microSD slot on something 7+ inches? How hard would it be to include a regular SD card slot? FFS!

Son of a bitch!

I ordered a regular SD card for my not-yet-here Nook Color! Just looked and yep, need a MicroSD. Awesome.
 
I'm buying one exclusively for running Tab Toolkit. Attaching it to my microphone stand and then I can practice without having to shuffle sheet music.

Oh, the other stuff you can do with it becomes a bonus.

I don't understand the hate. It seems to exist in epic proportions here. Nobody is forcing anyone to buy this. What am I missing?
 
Back
Top