• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The iPad 2

Lol at all the pathetic Apple hate. And someone was complaining that people are using their gadgets out in public? Wow. If you hate something, you will go to any lengths to destroy it, justified or not.

I'll be the first here to say that the new iPad causes AIDS and was the mastermind behind 9/11, retroactively of course, using the time-bending powers of FACETIME.
 
Somebody please PM me when this thing can play Crysis :p

It would not surprise me if someone ported it to this device, actually. Not like it can't be done in this day and age. If John Carmack can put Rage on it, surely those talented folks at Crytek can do a proper iPad/iPhone/iPod touch version of Crysis...

Actually, it's rather surprising they haven't already, come to think of it.
 
You know, I want an iPad, but I won't pay for it. Between my locations all having wifi, my M11x, nook and Driod2, I just don't have anyplace in my life for an iPad. It doesn't fit anywhere.
 
I'm a fairly large Apple fan but i'm pretty dissapointed in this offering.

No USB or SD card slots. Same res screen. *shrugs*. meh.
 
Does anyone think a tablet, whether it be this or something else, would be a good first computer for someone who just basically wants to use the Internet and casual stuff like that? Namely: My mother. ;)

absolutely not....

a better option for the money would be a second hand macbook off of ebay
 
I've said it before and I'll say it again: The iPad is the perfect bedside companion for casual gaming, surfing and watching Netflix. Anything beyond these things, and it doesn't really do them all that well to be honest. I have one and love it for what I use it for (the things above), but that is really the jest of what I use it for.

To be honest, I wish it was slightly smaller like the Galaxy Tabs and if those were 1/2 way decent, I would dump the iPad for one in a heartbeat. Sadly though no one thus far has been able to match the smoothness of the iPad's interface. As soon as someone makes an Android tablet that is as smooth interfacing as the iPad, I'll dump it in a second to rid myself of ever having to use iTunes again.

Far be it for me to defend Apple as well all know how arrogant they are, but it seems as if their entry price of $499 (the model I have as well) is extremely competitive compared to the other tablets out there.
 
I'm a fairly large Apple fan but i'm pretty dissapointed in this offering.

No USB or SD card slots. Same res screen. *shrugs*. meh.

If you are a large apple fan you should have expected no USB or SD slots. I dont get why apple is so against adding them.

I think the iPad 2 looks like a pretty nice upgrade overall but it was nothing unexpected.
 

To what end would there be a USB port on an iPad? Peripherals connect over BT and it has no file system; nor does it have an easy way--save Dropbox--of getting media onto it outside of iTunes/MM.

You wanna drain your tablet's battery into your phone's battery?
 
Disappointed in no SD (heck, even microSD) slot and no bump in resolution.

Also, the HDMI dongle for displaying on an HDTV (demo'd by the teacher) seems cumbersome, it would have been so much better if they made a small dongle that plugged into the tv and did it wirelessly.

Well, only a few more iterations until they finally make the product what it should have been from the beginning.
 
absolutely not....

a better option for the money would be a second hand macbook off of ebay

How absolutely not?

No offense, but bullcrap on the used macbook off of ebay. My mother is 62 herself, and I am seriously considering getting one of these for her. All she does is email and browse. A macbook is complete overkill for what she would do with it and it isn't nearly as easy to pick up and use as an iPad. Heck, my four year old uses my iPad all the time to play games. All that is needed is to power it on, slide to unlock it, and then press the button for whatever game he wants to play. I know macbooks are easy to use themselves, but for someone computer illiterate such as my mother and my son, there is no better device for ease of use. Heck, you can't even screw it up.
 
To what end would there be a USB port on an iPad? Peripherals connect over BT and it has no file system; nor does it have an easy way--save Dropbox--of getting media onto it outside of iTunes/MM.

You wanna drain your tablet's battery into your phone's battery?

The main use for USB on my Windows tablets are for broadband radios. Sure the iPad can have integrated radios tied to a specific carrier and I used to be a big fan of integrated radios but I like the flexiblity of using whatever service I want. Can kill the battery a bit using my 4G UDB Pantech but since there's a cap with the service it's not like I'd download a ton of movies, but fuck it's fast.
 
How absolutely not?

no USB, no flash, no *real* local filesystem

a macbook is more future proof IMHO, it runs a general computer OS, that is very easy to use, and generally very safe for the average person to use

an iPad still really needs a PC to be used to its fullest potential.... also, it doesn't even have mouse support

so yea, for $600 bucks, as someone's *only*, and first computer? I'd say the iPad is indeed a bad idea.

even a Windows laptop would be a better choice for a first time noob than an iPad, especially if the noob is using a limited privileges account (like they would be on an iPad w/o jailbreaking).
 
No offense, but bullcrap on the used macbook off of ebay. My mother is 62 herself, and I am seriously considering getting one of these for her. All she does is email and browse. A macbook is complete overkill for what she would do with it and it isn't nearly as easy to pick up and use as an iPad. Heck, my four year old uses my iPad all the time to play games. All that is needed is to power it on, slide to unlock it, and then press the button for whatever game he wants to play. I know macbooks are easy to use themselves, but for someone computer illiterate such as my mother and my son, there is no better device for ease of use. Heck, you can't even screw it up.

If my 3rd world country immigrant grandparents, who are both over 80 can handle the Windows 7 laptop I gave them, excellently I might add, despite never having used a computer *ever* before 2007, *anybody* can use a computer. Seriously.

And for the mother who just wants to browse the web and write emails.... a keyboard is infinitely better than a touch screen for emails longer than 4 sentences. A real browser like chrome, safari, or firefox, is infinitely better for web browsing, especially considering that they have flash......

local filesystem access is also seriously important. I know most older people who use computers don't download much, but even my 80+ year old grandparents *have* downloaded things. Like .zip files of photos of their grandkids, or cell phone video clips .... of grandkids of course, lol.... (that VLC handles with ease)..... there are many, many situations that having an iPad as your ONLY computer will put you up a creek.... honestly, others in this thread could probably think of countless more scenarios than I can....

It really is weird for me to be the one bashing an Apple product (check my history) .... but god, damn, as an only computer, the iPad is a horrible, horrible. Even Apple seems to acknowledge this.... they require the iPad be plugged into a computer (mac or windows) to activate for the first time.
 

I never said and neither did mdameron I think, that the iPad is a great first computer. I'm just saying that for ease of use for someone who just checks email and surfs, doing so from the iPad is much easier than a laptop is IMO.

I totally agree with you that as an only computer, an iPad is less than ideal.
 
The main use for USB on my Windows tablets are for broadband radios. Sure the iPad can have integrated radios tied to a specific carrier and I used to be a big fan of integrated radios but I like the flexiblity of using whatever service I want. Can kill the battery a bit using my 4G UDB Pantech but since there's a cap with the service it's not like I'd download a ton of movies, but fuck it's fast.

I don't know much about that product class outside of tethering a 3G device over BT. Do they not typically function as a WiFi hotspot or over BT as well? Or is it that they don't contain a battery and need power from either USB or the wall? It certainly sounds like a disqualifying factor for potential iPad buyers at any rate.
 
To what end would there be a USB port on an iPad? Peripherals connect over BT and it has no file system; nor does it have an easy way--save Dropbox--of getting media onto it outside of iTunes/MM.

You wanna drain your tablet's battery into your phone's battery?
Mounting a flash drive, loading movies/music through usb, etc, etc. I can think of a ton of uses for a usb port....my phone has one and I use the crap out of it so why not one on a tablet. Think Different :rolleyes:
 
Okay, anyone who is working for a competitor... THIS is what you are to beat. Not provide some lame halfass attempt. Apple's using a metal chassis, YOU use a metal chassis. Apple uses an IPS (or similar quality LED backlit) display, YOU use the same with a higher resolution. Your processor needs to be at least as good, but it would be awesome if it was better. Add more RAM. Install HD cameras. Now...
That doesn't work and I'll tell you why.....Apple has the media in their back pockets as well as the admiration of everyone wanting to be "cool" and own one. They've developed a cult following (in a very literal sense I might add) who don't give a lick about specs. Creative tried it with their Zen Vision:M. The ZVM trumped the iPod handily in every category and did so by a country mile. The back of it was metal, the screen vastly superior, codec support was revolutionary, even the menu system was better (Apple did copy it after all). Not to mention that it had features like FM tuning and recording as well as a host of other features that the iPod never had (still don't in some cases). In the end the ZVM couldn't top the iPod because it wasn't the "it thing" to have. Honestly, you can't reason with consumers because they don't have the sense to understand.
 
A cheap used Dell, HP, Gateway, or IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad (or any other laptop) with Ubuntu on it running Firefox = best thing for older folks that have no care about "Macs vs PCs" and that bullshit. Make it simple = the best solution, and that ain't a used MacBook which is massive overkill and wasted money (although in case something happens, most likely the MacBook would then become the property of said helper... perhaps).

I wouldn't even recommend Windows XP in such a situation, just straight Ubuntu, set it up, let it go. Hell, put Ubuntu Netbook Remix on it and make it even simpler for them to use and work with.

MacBook just for surfing and email... that's rich. :)
 
Mounting a flash drive, loading movies/music through usb, etc, etc. I can think of a ton of uses for a usb port....my phone has one and I use the crap out of it so why not one on a tablet. Think Different :rolleyes:

Duh, yeah forgot about this. At family gatherings we'll take pictures and I'll pop the SD card in my HP Slate or EP121 and look at them with all gathered. Pretty nifty and social.
 
A cheap used Dell, HP, Gateway, or IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad (or any other laptop) with Ubuntu on it running Firefox = best thing for older folks that have no care about "Macs vs PCs" and that bullshit. Make it simple = the best solution, and that ain't a used MacBook which is massive overkill and wasted money (although in case something happens, most likely the MacBook would then become the property of said helper... perhaps).

I wouldn't even recommend Windows XP in such a situation, just straight Ubuntu, set it up, let it go. Hell, put Ubuntu Netbook Remix on it and make it even simpler for them to use and work with.

MacBook just for surfing and email... that's rich. :)


Yah, that's a winning stategy to hit mainsteam appeal. Put Ubuntu on it. Rofl.
 
I just enjoy how, a year and 15 million iPads later, people on this board are still talking about vaporware that will "be so much better than iPad."

Between the BB Playbook, Honeycomb devices, and WebOS devices, I'm just hoping that at least one platform will give them enough of a run for their money to push the prices down. I think a tablet would be a fun toy for $99 or $199, but I'm not spending $500+ on one when I already have a $600 smartphone and a $2000 laptop that I carry around.

The iPad basically fits between a netbook and a phone, but cost 2-3x the price. I don't know anyone in my office who could replace thier dual core or i5 laptop with an iPad and still get thier jobs done.. A couple managers have them (along with thier laptops), but about all they do is read emails and check thier calanders on them. Eaiser for older people to read emails than the small phone screens :)
 
I know many here are anti-Apple, but I'll be ordering one forthwith. My wife has been clamoring for one and my kids like to video-conference with their cousins on the other coast. This is perfect.

Why would one be anti-Apple? They offer products. Being anti-Apple just requires not buying their stuff.

Their stuff though, is top class. I'm also in for an iPad2.
 
A variation of the Acer Timeline. It's so good it's all but replaced the desktop in my sig.

I have an older Acer Timeline with the dual core 1.2Ghz celeron 11.6" screen, and windows 7 64 bit.
Only 3 pounds, and all I need for portable use.

Battery lasts about 3 hours playing 720/1080p videos, and 6-7 hours with light web/email activity.

Even plays 1080p video & audio over the HDMI output port to my TV.
 
Must...fight....urge....to... get one..........oh the hell with it! I'm getting one.
 
That doesn't work and I'll tell you why.....Apple has the media in their back pockets as well as the admiration of everyone wanting to be "cool" and own one. They've developed a cult following (in a very literal sense I might add) who don't give a lick about specs. Creative tried it with their Zen Vision:M. The ZVM trumped the iPod handily in every category and did so by a country mile. The back of it was metal, the screen vastly superior, codec support was revolutionary, even the menu system was better (Apple did copy it after all). Not to mention that it had features like FM tuning and recording as well as a host of other features that the iPod never had (still don't in some cases). In the end the ZVM couldn't top the iPod because it wasn't the "it thing" to have. Honestly, you can't reason with consumers because they don't have the sense to understand.

One of the reasons I don't have any Apple products, and never will.
I tend to avoid what's "in" or "cool" due to the high costs, and hate the "cult" like following for apple.
I prefer more "open" systems, that I can build, upgrade, expand or fix myself.

I'm also amazed how Apple always seems to get a pass on on thier sweat shop labor, high prices and general greedyness, just because they are "cool"
 
Why would one be anti-Apple? They offer products. Being anti-Apple just requires not buying their stuff.

Their stuff though, is top class. I'm also in for an iPad2.

You'd be surprised. There are many here who would balk at any mention of Apple, just because they're Apple, not because they've used their products.
 
I never said and neither did mdameron I think, that the iPad is a great first computer. I'm just saying that for ease of use for someone who just checks email and surfs, doing so from the iPad is much easier than a laptop is IMO.

I totally agree with you that as an only computer, an iPad is less than ideal.

check the first post i quoted.... I was responding to someone asking, seriously, if the iPad was a good first computer....

now, if you are saying that the ipad is an extremely convenient, easy to use, noob friendly (given they understand its limitations), and slick.... then, yea we're in agreement...

i'm usually the Apple fanboy in the thread....
 
Duh, yeah forgot about this. At family gatherings we'll take pictures and I'll pop the SD card in my HP Slate or EP121 and look at them with all gathered. Pretty nifty and social.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A

Not built in, but apple actually *does* support the transfer of pictures from digital camera either through the camera's USB port or through an SD card to the iPad using an adapter.

I'm no big fan of apple, don't own ANY of their products, but don't like ignorant bashing of them either.... there's enough *valid* points to bash. ;)
 
On a side note, I think Apple puts too much importance on making things "thin" rather than making them "functional".

Macbook Air, for instance, which is a cool device but is basically like an over-sized, faster netbook (no optical drive, no real upgradability, etc.)

Same with the new iPad. What they should be doing is adding USB/SD ports rather than making the whole thing thinner, which then makes it awkward to do so in the future.
 
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A

Not built in, but apple actually *does* support the transfer of pictures from digital camera either through the camera's USB port or through an SD card to the iPad using an adapter.

I'm no big fan of apple, don't own ANY of their products, but don't like ignorant bashing of them either.... there's enough *valid* points to bash. ;)

But 30 additional dollars for that sort of basic functionality is a joke in and of itself, lol. :cool:
 
http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC531ZM/A

Not built in, but apple actually *does* support the transfer of pictures from digital camera either through the camera's USB port or through an SD card to the iPad using an adapter.

I'm no big fan of apple, don't own ANY of their products, but don't like ignorant bashing of them either.... there's enough *valid* points to bash. ;)

Thanks, I am aware of this. And where did I bash an Apple product? I simply pointing out something what my Windows devices do, and people LOVE to bash Windows slates.
 
Mounting a flash drive, loading movies/music through usb, etc, etc. I can think of a ton of uses for a usb port....my phone has one and I use the crap out of it so why not one on a tablet. Think Different :rolleyes:

iOS has no user accessible file system; moreover, syncing is done to maintain data integrity and shuffling files onto your device from a foreign USB device has its own set of troubles to consider. On top of that, the issue of non-standard devices destroying the user experience by causing OS errors or draining the battery is enough for Apple to shy away.

Why not one on a tablet? Many reasons to consider, but companies who aren't Apple have released such products in spite of those reasons. How'd that work out?
 
Even though I hate the iPad even more because it's from Crapple, I really don't see any use for a slate style tablet. None. Absolutely none at all, and you can not convince me otherwise. Watching movies is better handled on notebook you can set it on your lap, on your bed, etc in a more comfortable position. Unless you feel like shelling out another 100 dollars for a folding case on top of the 5-8 hundred dollar tablet, you'll have to hold it the entire time. Not to mention they end up using the exact same hardware you can find in smartphones, running at the same clocks, with the same storage space, and even less battery life. Huzzah!

The TouchPad, the Xoom, the iPad, the Playbook...all equally useless.
 
Back
Top