• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The iPad 2

If my 3rd world country immigrant grandparents, who are both over 80 can handle the Windows 7 laptop I gave them, excellently I might add, despite never having used a computer *ever* before 2007, *anybody* can use a computer. Seriously.

And for the mother who just wants to browse the web and write emails.... a keyboard is infinitely better than a touch screen for emails longer than 4 sentences. A real browser like chrome, safari, or firefox, is infinitely better for web browsing, especially considering that they have flash......

local filesystem access is also seriously important. I know most older people who use computers don't download much, but even my 80+ year old grandparents *have* downloaded things. Like .zip files of photos of their grandkids, or cell phone video clips .... of grandkids of course, lol.... (that VLC handles with ease)..... there are many, many situations that having an iPad as your ONLY computer will put you up a creek.... honestly, others in this thread could probably think of countless more scenarios than I can....

It really is weird for me to be the one bashing an Apple product (check my history) .... but god, damn, as an only computer, the iPad is a horrible, horrible. Even Apple seems to acknowledge this.... they require the iPad be plugged into a computer (mac or windows) to activate for the first time.

Lol are you calling my mom dumb? She's not 80 years old but is from a third world country and qualifies as a senior citizen. She likes to poke my screen, especially anything that looks like a button. A filesystem? A folder is already a complicated element as it is. I tell her how to get from point A to point B, not how to utilize the lessons learned to get from point X to Y to Z, because some people just aren't wired that way, are old and have a hard time learning new things, or didn't grow up with technology. A keyboard is an extra unnecessary input that requires switching back and forth from. This one big pokey screen is perfect. Swiping and pinching on the other hand...It'll take a few months for the idea to settle in. :D

Lumping all old people together...not cool.
 
Even though I hate the iPad even more because it's from Crapple, I really don't see any use for a slate style tablet. None. Absolutely none at all, and you can not convince me otherwise. Watching movies is better handled on notebook you can set it on your lap, on your bed, etc in a more comfortable position. Unless you feel like shelling out another 100 dollars for a folding case on top of the 5-8 hundred dollar tablet, you'll have to hold it the entire time. Not to mention they end up using the exact same hardware you can find in smartphones, running at the same clocks, with the same storage space, and even less battery life. Huzzah!

The TouchPad, the Xoom, the iPad, the Playbook...all equally useless.

Except its much lighter and easier to carry around, and imo its more comfortable to watch videos on a tablet then a laptop. I hate sitting my laptop on...well my lap. And you don't have to spend $100 on a folding case.
 
Except its much lighter and easier to carry around, and imo its more comfortable to watch videos on a tablet then a laptop. I hate sitting my laptop on...well my lap. And you don't have to spend $100 on a folding case.

Some subjective things here. I'd rather watch video on larger screen than and 1024x768 sucks for HD video compared to a 16:9 resolution. My EP121 is a much better device for watching video though bigger and heavier than an iPad but no matter how light something is holding straight for an hour or two isn't something I care to do.
 
Except its much lighter and easier to carry around, and imo its more comfortable to watch videos on a tablet then a laptop. I hate sitting my laptop on...well my lap. And you don't have to spend $100 on a folding case.

But that's the thing, you don't have hold a laptop the entire time while watching a movie. And you can actually watch a movie, and browse the web at the same time, with both showing on the screen. And any input you make, due to the nature of a slate tablet, you end up obscuring half the screen with your hands anyways.

Unless you feel like bending your legs for 2 hours, there's no way to rest a tablet at a comfortable angle to do something like consuming media, which is (as far as I can tell) the whole point to owning one.
 
I'd better get one. Random people keep sticking them in my face as though it was some kind of trophy, even though they don't seem to use it directly for anything I'd call unique or practical. But, unless I have one to hit people over the head with, others may not take me seriously! I'll show those smug bastards!

Also, TV keeps telling me to buy one. Why would TV do that if it wasn't true?
 
Because they're useless piles of shit, have I not already made that clear? Also;

Not all slate computers are made by Apple, there are now literally hundreds and while Apple makes by far the most popular they still only sell one at a time now and while the device is very good for what it is, primarily an entertainment device, there are other devices that are geared for other activities that are either not possible or cumbersome on the iPad.

I think part of the problem is that people look at slates to replace other devices in their lives rather than augment them. To those that say that an iPad replaced their desktop or laptop, awesome, apparently you didn't need the laptop or desktop anyway and the iPad is a better device for your needs.

My slates ARE notebooks running the same OS as my real notebooks and desktops but they'd never replace them. But my notebooks and desktops aren’t portable and thin and easily written on so they wouldn't replace my slates. Just about every day I'm in front of desktop or notebook I'll see something on the web that I want to make a note of so I copy it into OneNote and because my OneNote notebooks replicate to all of my Windows devices automatically I'll pull out a slate and make ink annotations and notes, just easier than always using a keyboard and mouse.

Many I find, even iPad and Android slate fans, have a very limited view of slate computers and think of them as single self-contained devices and not part of a larger network of devices that interoperate and collaborate as part of a greater whole. If I'm not mistaken this is actually a view that Jobs espouses with his trucks analogy.
 
I'd better get one. Random people keep sticking them in my face as though it was some kind of trophy, even though they don't seem to use it directly for anything I'd call unique or practical. But, unless I have one to hit people over the head with, others may not take me seriously! I'll show those smug bastards!

Also, TV keeps telling me to buy one. Why would TV do that if it wasn't true?

What funny these days is that when I whip out a Windows 7 slate, I'm taking a page out of Apple's "Think Different" campaign. What's even funnier is that to many the non-techie I show device running Windows 7 and the handwriting recognition and Office they say things like "Wow, that's a REAL computer." All the geek cred a man could ask for.:D
 
"Wow, that's a REAL computer." All the geek cred a man could ask for.:D

In my experience it doesn't matter what's on the screen, it's the logo on the back that matters. People only hold it the right way around because that's that only way to show everyone else the logo.
 
Crappy or not, a LOT of stuff that people care about uses Flash.

Thats why I said the less devices that use it the better. Means we will get rid of it quicker. which is a good thing. I haven't run into any problems browsing the web on my iPad. I don't really visit Flash heavy sites anyway so that helps.
 
I don't get the ipad sensation. My father got one for a present, never uses it other than to show people he has one. My brother has one, he uses it to watch youtube videos. My wife's uncle has three, says he uses them to check his email while on business trips, at home, and while at work (why can't you use your smartphone, or laptop?)
 
Abandoning flash is the only damn thing Apple's done I support. Anything to get people to stop supporting it. Yank that bandaid off and start preparing for HTML5.
 
A lot of stuff maybe, but apparently 15 million are doing fine without.

Of those 15 million I they pretty much all have have other devices that DO work with Flash. There's so much done in Flash and it's not going away anytime soon. Even Google will tell you that HTML5 DOESN'T entirely replace Flash. I really don't get the hostility towards Flash, it filled a need LONG before HTML5 and for the most part works well these days, at least on Windows. I visit a number of Flash heavy sites that look and work better than HTML and Javascript sites. Like anything there's good Flash and HTML/Javascript and bad.

But Flash is the devil, let's burn it.
 
Hardware specs look great except for the lack of SD slots and a stupid HDMI dongle.

The software is an issue: it's still an oversized iPod. All their rivals have jumped leaps and bounds ahead of Apple in user interface design, seemingly.
 
And, as expected, just as I mentioned above, there's the trickle effect:

That HDMI dongle was just confirmed to work with the iPhone 4 and the iPod touch 4G as well, but the HD output is limited to 720p.

"trickle trickle... here little sheeple... here's something we've been holding back just to bait you into spending more money to get functionality - even as limited as 720p is - that your device has supported from day 1... when the iPad 3 comes out we'll bring out the HDMI 2 adapter which gives proper 1080p support... <snicker, snicker> and it'll only cost you $39..."

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/02/apples-digital-av-adapter-also-works-with-iphone-4-fourth-gen/

It's pretty lame, but for Apple, that's the order of the day.
 
And, as expected, just as I mentioned above, there's the trickle effect:

That HDMI dongle was just confirmed to work with the iPhone 4 and the iPod touch 4G as well, but the HD output is limited to 720p.

"trickle trickle... here little sheeple... here's something we've been holding back just to bait you into spending more money to get functionality - even as limited as 720p is - that your device has supported from day 1... when the iPad 3 comes out we'll bring out the HDMI 2 adapter which gives proper 1080p support... <snicker, snicker> and it'll only cost you $39..."

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/02/apples-digital-av-adapter-also-works-with-iphone-4-fourth-gen/

It's pretty lame, but for Apple, that's the order of the day.

For Apple? You mean for the entire bloody industry? Apple is just the most public about it.
 
I see no reason to purchase this over the honeycomb based tablets. The App store is the only real reason left but that advantage is rapidly shrinking. I guess there is a reason why the Ipad 3 rumors were coming out so soon. The Ipad 2 is nothing special.
 
I see no reason to purchase this over the honeycomb based tablets. The App store is the only real reason left but that advantage is rapidly shrinking. I guess there is a reason why the Ipad 3 rumors were coming out so soon. The Ipad 2 is nothing special.

Where are the $500 Honeycombs. Sure you could hack a Nook or something but out of the box Honeycombs aren't cheap right now. The thing is that Android needs to differentiate itself from the iPad and right now it's not, not in a significant way to the average user.
 
And, as expected, just as I mentioned above, there's the trickle effect:

That HDMI dongle was just confirmed to work with the iPhone 4 and the iPod touch 4G as well, but the HD output is limited to 720p.

"trickle trickle... here little sheeple... here's something we've been holding back just to bait you into spending more money to get functionality - even as limited as 720p is - that your device has supported from day 1... when the iPad 3 comes out we'll bring out the HDMI 2 adapter which gives proper 1080p support... <snicker, snicker> and it'll only cost you $39..."

http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/02/apples-digital-av-adapter-also-works-with-iphone-4-fourth-gen/

It's pretty lame, but for Apple, that's the order of the day.

WTH its only 720p?!?! what the crap is up with that?
 
WTH its only 720p?!?! what the crap is up with that?

720p for the iPhone and iTouch. Kind of understandable I guess. Maybe they're not powerful enough to push 1080p or maybe Apple just wants to limit them for the hell of it.
 
Where are the $500 Honeycombs. Sure you could hack a Nook or something but out of the box Honeycombs aren't cheap right now. The thing is that Android needs to differentiate itself from the iPad and right now it's not, not in a significant way to the average user.

I agree with you big time on the price point.

Moto made a big mistake coming out with their "big" tablet first, they could of dropped a non-3g, 16gb Xoom on our front door for $500 easily, but instead gave us the shiny super expensive one up front, lowering interest.
 
Where are the $500 Honeycombs. Sure you could hack a Nook or something but out of the box Honeycombs aren't cheap right now. The thing is that Android needs to differentiate itself from the iPad and right now it's not, not in a significant way to the average user.

Honeycomb absolutely differentiates itself. Think back 9 months ago - before the iPad had any apps as it was just being launched. Apple claimed the killer app for the tablet was the web browser. That browsing on the iPad was just "magical" and amazing. The only reason it is now all about the apps is because the iPad absolutely sucks at browsing the web compared to the competition ( http://www.anandtech.com/show/4191/motorola-xoom-review-first-honeycomb-tablet-arrives/6 ). Browsing the web is pretty damn important to average users.

The iPad is *currently* winning at 3rd party apps (seeing as the competition is like 2 weeks old, that isn't very impressive). iPad is *currently* being curb stomped in 1st party apps compared to Honeycomb. Not to mention iOS continues to have the shittiest notification system in the history of forever, and it's home screen is waste of space.
 
I like the way the white one looks. Honestly if I were interested in a tablet, I'd just get an iPad just because it'll be the most polished. It may not have all the connectivity one would want, but it's a tablet, and I'd never do anything serious on it anyway.

I owned the original iPad. I don't have much use for these tablets. I find myself more comfortable and productive with a laptop, even if I'm just browsing the net on my bed. But I can see why others would like this form-factor. It just seems like more of a luxury item to me, but I know there are others who can put these tablets to good use.
 
iPad is *currently* being curb stomped in 1st party apps compared to Honeycomb.

Gah, stupid no edit. By 1st party apps I mean the ones that ship with the device. The apps Apple sells like iLife and stuff is pretty impressive.
 
oh no! all your ipad 1's are outdated.

ipad2 can have zero ports, a low resolution screen, a crappy camera, and it would still sell 20 million units per year.
 
Honeycomb absolutely differentiates itself. Think back 9 months ago - before the iPad had any apps as it was just being launched. Apple claimed the killer app for the tablet was the web browser. That browsing on the iPad was just "magical" and amazing. The only reason it is now all about the apps is because the iPad absolutely sucks at browsing the web compared to the competition ( http://www.anandtech.com/show/4191/motorola-xoom-review-first-honeycomb-tablet-arrives/6 ). Browsing the web is pretty damn important to average users.

The iPad is *currently* winning at 3rd party apps (seeing as the competition is like 2 weeks old, that isn't very impressive). iPad is *currently* being curb stomped in 1st party apps compared to Honeycomb. Not to mention iOS continues to have the shittiest notification system in the history of forever, and it's home screen is waste of space.

Won't get any argument from me about how lame web browsing is on the iPad. Slow and no Flash support or any other plug-ins, right. Great pinch zoom but web browsing on something like the EP121 with IE 9 on it blows away the iPad 1 and the Xoom. The pinch zoom isn't the greatest on all sites (IE 9 hardware acceleration however makes it much nicer overall) but EVERY site works and to me that's the WHOLE point of web browsing.

But apps simply are enough, 1st or 3rd party for Android or any other slate OS contender to differentiate itself from the iPad. That OS will need to have some REALLY slick feature, price advantage or both to stand out from the iPad.
 
oh no! all your ipad 1's are outdated.

ipad2 can have zero ports, a low resolution screen, a crappy camera, and it would still sell 20 million units per year.

I'm sure it will. There really isn't a real competitor out yet that does something the iPad doesn't at the right price point. But to think that this is Apple's market to be dominated by it long term is a bit premature. Google, RIM, HP and the one that we really haven't heard from yet Microsoft will not let Apple own this market beyond next year.

It's going to get FIERCE and I think consumers are going to win BIG TIME.
 
Won't get any argument from me about how lame web browsing is on the iPad. Slow and no Flash support or any other plug-ins, right. Great pinch zoom but web browsing on something like the EP121 with IE 9 on it blows away the iPad 1 and the Xoom. The pinch zoom isn't the greatest on all sites (IE 9 hardware acceleration however makes it much nicer overall) but EVERY site works and to me that's the WHOLE point of web browsing.

But apps simply are enough, 1st or 3rd party for Android or any other slate OS contender to differentiate itself from the iPad. That OS will need to have some REALLY slick feature, price advantage or both to stand out from the iPad.

The EP121 blows it away for the low low price of $1000 with 3 hour battery life and 2.5 pounds.
 
The EP121 blows it away for the low low price of $1000 with 3 hour battery life and 2.5 pounds.

EP121 = a real computer running the world's most popular OS, Windows, and ready to run any Windows app you'd care to toss at it. Or Linux if you're so inclined. Or dare I say it, even OSX.

iPad = not a real computer, butt the sheepl---errr... buyers could care less. ;)
 
The iPad has netflix so it wins for me over the Xoom. Easy decision.
 
EP121 = a real computer running the world's most popular OS, Windows, and ready to run any Windows app you'd care to toss at it. Or Linux if you're so inclined. Or dare I say it, even OSX.

iPad = not a real computer, butt the sheepl---errr... buyers could care less. ;)

Not a real computer and priced accordingly. ;)
 
Back
Top