- Joined
- Feb 1, 2005
- Messages
- 31,347
The internet is not a basic human right. It makes human existence easier and more complete, but it is not a right. Very few things are basic human rights when you get down to it. The Declaration of Independence: Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness...that's it under the heading "All men are created equal". And that's just in how that document was worded ("endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights") compared to the Bill of Rights which is only applicable to Americans. Even the French with their liberty, equality, fraternity motto hit closer to basic human rights than having the internet.
When you get right down to it, you're not arguing whether or not it's a right, but a necessity like food, water, shelter. Even then it is not a basic human necessity anymore than a telephone, credit card, or Walmart nearby.
I use the internet everyday, but if for some reason I could never use it again, it's not like I would fall over dead within a month.
When you get right down to it, you're not arguing whether or not it's a right, but a necessity like food, water, shelter. Even then it is not a basic human necessity anymore than a telephone, credit card, or Walmart nearby.
I use the internet everyday, but if for some reason I could never use it again, it's not like I would fall over dead within a month.