The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

Yeah - using the USB connector (love it). Can't see the Amp reading but if it's only 1 that means those 2 fans are eating at least 10 watts, maybe more - Egads! Did your PC50 arrive?

Yeah - using the USB connector (love it). Can't see the Amp reading but if it's only 1 that means those 2 fans are eating at least 10 watts, maybe more - Egads! Did your PC50 arrive?

They are probably much less than 1 amp at 5 volts....possibly .25 amp range - maybe more because they have LEDs.

The PC50 arrived. I'm having trouble with it though. I'm getting intermittent power. I can't get it to power the slimline on 9 out of 10 times. When it does power the slimline on - it does exactly what we want. It's as quiet at load after 30 minutes of running prime95 and 3dmark 2006 at the sametime as it is when you first turn it on. It's barely audible. It fits...So if it was reliably turning on the slimline it's be a sure win. I'm getting frustrated with it because I've spent the last six hours working on it and can't figure out what's wrong. If i use a paper climp to jump start the power supply by touching the green and black wires it turns on first time everytime...if I plug it into the slimline I can get about 1/2 second of power before it turns off. I've tried various amounts of components in and out of teh slimline multiple times. Right now I can't even get it to power on the CPU and motherboard alone. I can get the sparkle 270 watt PSU to work everytime no matter what.

I'm taking a break right now to get my head cleared and will try it again later this afternoon. I know shuttle states these PC50's are only to be used with shuttle PCs but I can't imagine that matters. The wire colors for the 20 pin ATX adapter look the same.

I assume you unplugged and then re-plugged the connector to the mobo and unplugged the power cord before starting the PC? (more than once)? I've had very weird experiences with the power connections. At one time my PC was absolutely dead until I unplugged the power cord from the back and then plugged it back in - that's all I did - and it worked from then on. Also, at another time the power cord itself turned out to be bad - after I had changed just about everything else! Finally, it could be a loose pin in the connector or bent pin, etc. Random events usually means something is loose and not connecting properly somewhere along the line. Good luck!

Has anyone tried an external power supply? Should lower the heat in the case significantly, and you can get 600w with the XG Magnum EX, although I can't seem to find it anywhere for sale, Newegg used to have it. What would I need to do to get it working on my slimline? Thinking of getting the external PSU and the 9800gt, I currently have the 8600gt.

it looks like the sparkle requires a 6 pin connector. The 300w psu I have only has a four pin. Am I missing something here?

sorry to ask but sometime back someone posted a link to an adapter for a 300w psu and the connector to the motherboard. Can some kind person post that link :)

My bad I found it as well as the molex to sata

so with a 300 watt PSU for an intel slimline what is the consensus on the best low profile video card out there?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814187061&Tpk=NVidia 9800GT (low profile)

Will be throwing up a spare Slimline with blu ray soon in classifieds if anyone is interested

it looks like the sparkle requires a 6 pin connector. The 300w psu I have only has a four pin. Am I missing something here?

The spakle 9800gt comes with a adapter for the six pin PCI-E.

you'll need two free molex plugs for the six pin adapter.

More on the PSU replacement saga.

Project Reminder
Shuttle PC50 - 300wat
vs.
Sparkle SPI270LE 270 watt

To fit in a HP Slimline s3600t and power a Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300, a Low Profile Sparkle 9800GT, 4GB RAM, a 1.5TB drive, and the DVD-RW.

Alright - now for the update --- well I finally got the PC50 power supply working regularly. I have no idea what the problem was --- it must have been a faulty pin connection in the microfit adapter or something because now after messing with it a bit more it's working every single time.

My conclusion after using the sparkle 270watt and shuttle 300watt is that they would both be okay with low loads and low heat, but the Shuttle PC50 300 watt PSU with the two fans (one 40mm on both front and back of the length) stays inaudible all the time, while the Sparkle 270 watt PSU idled at a louder volume under load and got even louder when under heavy load. With no load, the Shuttle is almost completely silent, while the sparkle is a tad louder at nearly silent. If the Sparkle 270 watt was under no load, IE with the 9800GT removed - it stayed nearly silent, but with the 9800GT it would idle at a sound level that was not compatible with silent PC aspirations. I compared it earlier to the sound of a typical floor vent when the heater is on. In comparison I've yet to hear the PC50 louder than nearly completely silent except for that brief second when you power it on and the fans spin full speed. I've run prime95 and 3dmark 06 for quite a while and never heard it spin up in normal operation. So if you are going for a power hungry card with a quad core processor and still want silence - - I'd say the PC50 is the way to go. If you have a dual core processor and a 9500GT, or 9600GT, or less then the Sparkle 270 watt is probably preferable because it is cheaper and more energy efficient (80%+ vs. the shuttle's 70%) and if you had lower power power draw would probably never heat up enough to spin up the fans. Though note: the sparkle PSU fan seemed to spin up do to temperature increase --- so you'll still need to have adequate cooling in the slimline if you want the sparkle PSU to remain quiet. I'd also say that the top of the slimline case is cooler with the PC50 in place --- however, my 40mm fans have not yet arrived and thus are not installed -- once they were installed I doubt the sparkle would be as warm, thus it might even be cooler than I experienced during my testing. I filmed video of these PSU replacements so you could hear the audio levels and I'll post it later. Both PSU's are quite a bit shorter than the stock 180watt PSU that the HPs come with. Both fit in just fine. I had to do a bit of cutting with my tin snips on the hard-drive cage to make more room for the wires with the Shuttle PC50 - because the ATX 20pin power lead is only like 3 inches long and it doesn't leave you enough room to go around the cage like I could with the Sparkle 270 watt. Since it's short you have to go straight back and you can't snap the hard-drive and CD-ROM cage into place unless you snip off an inch or so of the hard-drive cage. It's easy to do and doesn't hurt fit or strength of the cage.

I've been running the Shuttle PC50 for 24 hours now or so and so far so good. I'll hope to have the video edited and up later this week. I'll add it to the first page when ready.

Arch

Looks like the PC50 is a viable replacement/upgrade for your 180W stock PSU. What are the dimensions of your stock PSU? I'm wondering if they're the same as my stock 160W PSU? Tin cage snipping sounds a lot like tab filing - not my cuppa, if it can be avoided, especially since there are no tin snippers in my toolkit :eek:

Anyone know if DVI-I is equivalent to DVI-D? I'm getting all sortsa static with my HDMI switcher (ANY switcher - I've tried several) connected to the PC. HDMI to HDMI (TV) works fine without static. The HDMI/DVI cable has a DVI-D connector and I tried a DVI-I to DVI-D converter but I still get the static. Next on tap is a DVI-I splitter with DVI-I and HDMI outputs. I'll then try the HDMI/HDMI connection. If that doesn't work, I may have to return the 8400 GS card, because incessant static is not music to my ears. :( That card has a unique DVI connector (1 pin missing) for dual display support (both DVI-I type). I'm ready for a slam-dunk upgrade! :p

Arch

1) What are the dimensions of your stock PSU?

2) Anyone know if DVI-I is equivalent to DVI-D?

1)Here ya go...

The stock 180watt PSU is
9 and 1/16 inch long
3 and 1/4 inch wide
1 and 5/8 inch tall
(And I believe the 160 watt PSU is nearly identical IIRC when I looked at them side by side one time.)

The Sparkle PSU is like 2/3's of the stock 180 watt size.
5 and 15/16 inch long
3 and 3/16 inch wide
1 and 9/16 inch tall

The Shuttle PSU is like 3/4's of the stock 180 watt size.
7 and 1/2 inch long
3 and 1/4 inch wide
1 and 3/4 inch tall

2) How are you getting sound out of DVI? DVI spec doesn't carry audio? There is a difference between DVI-I and DVI-D --- basically the difference is if you can use a VGA adapter on a DVI port or not. Neither carries audio to my knowledge. HDMI carries Audio.

can someone please help me out here.

i recently changed my video card to a geforce 8600 (gse86gt i believe) and i need to change my power supply because my computer is not powering up my monitor, keyboard, nor anything else. can someone PLEASE recommend me a power supply that will work with my current video card and possibly a tutorial on how to change it. thanks !

^ read the first post...You don't need a tutorial --- just look at the maintenance guide PDF that is linked from HP in the first post. I'd recommend the Sparkle 270 watt for you, or you could buy the In-Win model. The Sparkle will cost you $50 at censusPC - if you look at the deals and coupons on the left panel you'll see a $5 off coupon for over $50 bucks...Add a pack of thumb screws or something in there and you'll get to your $50. The In-Win one can be purchased for $30 from new-egg if your budget is tighter, but it isn't as power efficient.

For any worthwile power supply upgrade you'll need an overpriced adapter so it fits an HP motherboard...That is also linked on the first post. The rest is super simple...Just follow the PDF maintenance guide that HP has and don't force anything -- everything is packed tight, but HP did a good job with the engineering on this case and nothing needs to be forced. With the adapter that is vastly overpriced and the PSU from census PC you are looking at about $75 dollars to replace your PSU. With the adapter and the in-win you are looking at about $55.

The other option is to purchase a low power CPU --- IF you have an AMD based system. You could buy a 45 watt CPU like the BE-2400, 4850e or 5050e and leave your power supply alone. You'll be saving 20 watts on the 12 volt rail with the 45 watt CPU that will then be applied to give your graphics card the extra power it wants. If you have an Intel based system - you're probably going to need a power supply upgrade anyway cause you can't really go to a lower draw CPU. (unless you currently are running a Quad core)

I'll look more into the sparkle 270. it will guarantee to fit and 270 watts should be enough, is this correct?

edit: is this the correct one ;)

http://www.censuspc.com/product.php?productid=5902&cat=0&page=1

That's the one...and yes it'll certaintly be enough.
Use this $5 off $50 coupon
http://www.censuspc.com/hot_deal-pr-6334.html

you'll need something cheap to hit the $50 threshold -- you could do something like these thumbscrews
http://www.censuspc.com/product.php?productid=225&cat=0&page=1
or a 40mm fan of your choosing --- the 40mm fan will fit nicely on the back of the slimline grill and help with cooling.
http://www.censuspc.com/home.php?cat=326&sort=price&sort_direction=0

Don't forget you need one of these adapters - unless you want to splice 20 lines...
http://www.atxpowersupplies.com/20-pin-to-24-pin-hp-slimline-atx-converter.htm

Arch - you saved the day - again! :D

DVI isn't designed to carry sound - but it carries static to the system speaker. Solution: turn down/off the volume control on the monitor if it's connected through a DVI port.

PSU dimensions look promising for a slim slam-dunk swap. Where does one find tin snippers?

Thanks, Arch - I'll wait to see your PSU replacement instructional video to make sure I don't make the same mistake some over-anxious people make: snipping off more than they should! :eek:

The spakle 9800gt comes with a adapter for the six pin PCI-E.

you'll need two free molex plugs for the six pin adapter.

Are you sure? I looked at product pictures and was unable to spot a 2x4-pin to 6-pin pcie adapter.

I already ordered one which should come in tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes.

Hi Everyone,

I own an s3200t - which I've modded with a 8400GS to off load 1080p decoding. Here's my dilema: This machine was purchased to replace an aging HP z555 running WinXP MCE 2005. I want to move to Vista MCE (and eventually Windows 7) - but I'm having a hard time getting my head around how to fully spec this system. I'd like to be able to put a TV Tuner in the PCI slot (so I can get S-Video from my Cox STB). Trouble is - nearly every low profile tuner card I find is PCI-E.

I'd love to get the Hauppauge 2250 (http://www.buy.com/prod/hauppauge-w...der-media-center-kit/q/loc/101/208809707.html) - but it's a PCI-E form factor, which means I'd need to ditch my 8400GS. Otherwise, I'd go with a USB tuner, but then I'd loose my S-Video in (for my STB digital cable).

Any suggestions? I have a HD HomeRun, so I can get QAM/ATSC via my LAN connection. My goal is to be able to use my STB for all my "analog" tuning needs.

Thanks in Advance

SF

ahhhhxd - You will also need a MOLEX to SATA Connector. You can read about why on page 120. Also you can see pics of the replacement. I would probably also recommend getting some new thermal grease. Good luck.

Hi, a buddy of mine gave me a none working HP slimline s3023w. No processor No optical and hard drive... only busted M2NC51-AR mobo and a working 160 PSU.

I bought a M2N61-AR motherboard and a BE-2350 from ebay and it will be arriving maybe this week. Will the BE-2350 work out of the box? the motherboard is brand new according to the seller.

By the way I also got a 20 to 24 micro adapter at ebay for $15 shipped, Just in case PSU upgrade is needed.

Thanks!

The BE-2350 may work out of the box --- or it may need a BIOS update --- either way it will work. The BIOS update is on HP's site.

Can you provide the link for the ebay seller's $15 shipped atx micro-fit adapter. That's a good price.

Are you sure? I looked at product pictures and was unable to spot a 2x4-pin to 6-pin pcie adapter.

I already ordered one which should come in tomorrow, so we'll see how that goes.

WHOOPS -- my bad -- I've got soo many boxes and parts lying around I got that mixed up...You are correct - the 2 x 2 molex to PCI-E power adapter is not included in the 9800GT sparkle card's retail package - you have to buy it seperately - however if you bought any retail card in the last five years you probably have one...They seemed to be included in most all retail card purchases for some time.

You will also need a molex to Sata power adapter as well for both the PC50 and Sparkle 270 --- the single sata lead on both power supplies is not long enough to hit both the CD-ROM and hard-drive in the manner the devices are laid out in the slimline.

The BE-2350 may work out of the box --- or it may need a BIOS update --- either way it will work. The BIOS update is on HP's site.

Can you provide the link for the ebay seller's $15 shipped atx micro-fit adapter. That's a good price.

Thanks for the quick reply Archaea. I hope it will work out of the box because i don't have a spare AMD Am2 processor lying around...

Here's the link of the micro-fit adapter at ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/HP-Mini-ITX-Motherboard-ATX-Power-adapter_W0QQitemZ320346079933QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item320346079933&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1234|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50

Originally it was only a bundle when you buy a HP slimline motherboard from the seller, I ask him if he could sell the adapter alone.... the rest is history.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just read the entire forum on the hp.com support site for someone asked a question about CPU upgrades and it went back and forth for like a year, and I'm still unclear:

Has anyone gotten a 45w athlon to work in a M2N51-AR (s3023w) mobo? Or do I need the 65W? How about with the most recent BIOS update? I noticed page 1 of this forum does NOT list the 45W processors as being compatible.

Thanks a lot!

The three forty mm fans I bought from a HongKong site for $2 shipped a piece are junk. Never the less I tried to install them last night. After I got them installed and ran a feed off the 12 volt line through a spair molex splitter---- After installing the fans and tying them into PSU - I couldn't get the PC50 to power on again. It's doing that whole intermittent problem once again. Event when I disconnected the fans --- still no go. I think I'm going to ship it back because the sparkle 270 watt works every time and so I suspect I have a faulty PC50.

Arch

I've reread the posts about the Seasonic 400W PSU and the top-rated review given to it by jonnyGURU. Has anyone attempted to install this in a Slimline? It's a longish sort and may not fit? - also width-wise. Height appears OK (40mm). I sent an email to Seasonic, asking them if they are aware of the fan noise problem and if it can be fixed (by them or someone else). I'd say there is a good-sized market out there for a stable PSU upgrade like the Seasonic that fits the bill (or the case!). There must be heaps of under-powered Slimlines out there and aficionados (fans) anxious to play the latest games on them!

If the PSU-shoe fits, some of us might be willing to wear it - noisy fans and all. After all, don't those games produce some DBs!? :eek:

Hi Everyone,

I own an s3200t - which I've modded with a 8400GS to off load 1080p decoding. Here's my dilema: This machine was purchased to replace an aging HP z555 running WinXP MCE 2005. I want to move to Vista MCE (and eventually Windows 7) - but I'm having a hard time getting my head around how to fully spec this system. I'd like to be able to put a TV Tuner in the PCI slot (so I can get S-Video from my Cox STB). Trouble is - nearly every low profile tuner card I find is PCI-E.

I'd love to get the Hauppauge 2250 (http://www.buy.com/prod/hauppauge-w...der-media-center-kit/q/loc/101/208809707.html) - but it's a PCI-E form factor, which means I'd need to ditch my 8400GS. Otherwise, I'd go with a USB tuner, but then I'd loose my S-Video in (for my STB digital cable).

Any suggestions? I have a HD HomeRun, so I can get QAM/ATSC via my LAN connection. My goal is to be able to use my STB for all my "analog" tuning needs.

Thanks in Advance

SF

Have you checked out the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1950 USB TV tuner? It supports S-Video since it comes w/ a little box. I have this TV tuner and get great HD from it. However, I'm not utilizing its S-Video, so I can't talk about it from first-hand exp. Note that it's a little pricey ($130 MSRP), but Newegg runs sales and MIRs on it occasionally.

Arch

I've reread the posts about the Seasonic 400W PSU and the top-rated review given to it by jonnyGURU. Has anyone attempted to install this in a Slimline? It's a longish sort and may not fit? - also width-wise. Height appears OK (40mm). I sent an email to Seasonic, asking them if they are aware of the fan noise problem and if it can be fixed (by them or someone else). I'd say there is a good-sized market out there for a stable PSU upgrade like the Seasonic that fits the bill (or the case!). There must be heaps of under-powered Slimlines out there and aficionados (fans) anxious to play the latest games on them!

If the PSU-shoe fits, some of us might be willing to wear it - noisy fans and all. After all, don't those games produce some DBs!? :eek:

Agreed, but you don't want a dustbuster sound coming out of your slimline :p for those times you are trying to surf and listen to music!!!

Not sure how loud it is, since I got differing opiinons on the people who I've asked --- but it's definately safe to say it isn't silent -- and that was my goal - so I left it alone....

I would guess it fits and it's barely anymore expensive than the PC50.

Arch

I'll let you know if I get anything back from Seasonic. I may decide to bite this particular bullet, once assured that there is no 'fit' problem. Seasonic is very close to me (Azusa) and I'd be willing to go out there and let them try to install it. ;) - once the mobo micro-adapter gets here. I agree that the noise level needs to be 'acceptable' - although I'm used to having the AC contributing lotsa (necessary) background noise when its hot.

By the way, I was watching an Apple trailer (UP) in 1080p format yesterday and my system could not keep up with a 23.xx frame rate - occasionally dropping to 15.xx. Does that sound like a video card limitation problem or something else?

Have you checked out the Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-1950 USB TV tuner? It supports S-Video since it comes w/ a little box. I have this TV tuner and get great HD from it. However, I'm not utilizing its S-Video, so I can't talk about it from first-hand exp. Note that it's a little pricey ($130 MSRP), but Newegg runs sales and MIRs on it occasionally.

Thanks for the reply. I'm looking into it. Although, currently Dell has the HDPVR on sale for like $160. Hauppage has "promised" the build in MCE support for Windows 7 - so that may be a better investment. Decisions, decisions ;)

Just picked up a new hp slimline s3720f. I wanted to upgrade the video and have a Gigabyte GV-NX84S512H GeForce 8400GS ordered. Ive seen conflicting reports in this thread regarding a PSU upgrade being required. Please elaborate

Just picked up a new hp slimline s3720f. I wanted to upgrade the video and have a Gigabyte GV-NX84S512H GeForce 8400GS ordered. Ive seen conflicting reports in this thread regarding a PSU upgrade being required. Please elaborate

If you read through the thread (especially the first post), you will find everything you need to know about the Slimline and its PSU limitations. The PSU upgrade options are explored more throughly around page 120-ish. :)

Basically, the slimlines have a wimpy power supply unit (AMD processor based models have a 160W PSU, Intel processor based models have a 180W PSU). If you have an AMD model, it's highly recommended that you at least upgrade your processor to a 45W processor (you most likely have a 65W) if you plan to add any low-end/low power dedicated graphics card, for system stability/longevity. Higher end graphics cards may require a 6 pin PCI-Express power cord, and in that case a PSU upgrade is required. Again, the first post should clear most of this up. :cool:

Ironically, your model normally has a 230W power supply (its a newer model), however, you seem to have gotten a 160W power supply, according to HP's website. Even more interesting-ly is that you have an Intel processor.....I personally don't know of many 45W Intel processors, sorry. Can anyone else figure that out? :confused:

Let me know if I've missed anything, guys. ;)

Phatelvis

I have basically the same system you have (S3323w), with an XFX 8400GS video card. That config seems to be OK for ordinary use without a processor change (to 45W) or PSU upgrade. I also have 4GB memory on my system. I'm not getting the fps rate that's required for smooth 1080p operation (see previous post), so I'm contemplating a dual, video card and PSU upgrade. In order to support a better video card, a higher power PSU seems to be required. I'm checking out the Seasonic 400W PSU, which is reported to be somewhat noisy but very reliable. I guess the trade-off right now is noise for power. See recent posts here for a review of the Seasonic 400U1 PSU. Keep an eye on this forum for feedback from Seasonic, if any. There are some other PSU upgrade options for the Slimline, but all are in the 200W-300W range.

Hey, Halsey - what kinda fps rate are you getting with your video card in 1080p mode? I assume yours is a better card than I have installed? We seem to have very similar configs.

8400GS should be okay for 1080P --- it is according to Nvidia's website.

Try a different decoding software. Potentially VLC is a crowd favorite.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

Halsey, --- A intel based slimline should NOT come with a 160 watt PSU -- and to my knowledge there are no 45 watt Intel based CPUs -- most are rated generically about 65 watts or higher. An 8400GS may or may not work with the stock 65 watt CPU....I did not have sucess with an 8400gs and the otherwise stock setup in an s3020n. I had to put a 45 watt processor in there to be okay. Others have had success with no issues --- the stock PSU is right on the border of inadequacy with a 40 watt + video card.

Halsey, --- A intel based slimline should NOT come with a 160 watt PSU

That's what I thought too, but according to HP's website there is. It doesn't make a whole lotta sense. I was double checking the PSU for the s3720f just to be sure it has a 230W PSU, as the other s37xx models have, but apparently it doesn't- I'm not very experienced with computers and modding, so I don't know whether it's a error on HP's side or what.

SlimKiwi- I've never measured my frames per second for anything before-how do you measure fps- via a downloadable program maybe? But I'm fairly sure that you have the better graphics card - mine is integrated. :eek: lol

Halsey, I'm deep in the woods when it comes to measuring fps. I just noticed the other day that if you open the Window window when playing a trailer from the Apple website with Quicktime, that it tells you the fps while the trailer is playing. Movies are usually recorded at 24 fps (I think) so if it's playing at a lower rate, you're likely to get less than fluid motion (I think). Since I was getting less than 24 fps at times and jumpiness here and there, I figure my video card may not be up to snuff to play 1080P at the recorded fps rate. Arch says that my video card should do the job but maybe something else is clogging up the pipeline? Why is the PC world still so complicated and mysterious to the average SlimKiwi? I think it's all a plot to keep us in the dark (woods) and get us to spend $$$ 'til the cows come home.:cool: The main reason I shop at Fry's and Costco is because it's easy to return stuff that turns out to be what you don't need. :confused:

How difficult would it be for HP to put a link on its website that said: "Upgrade Options" - that told you everything you ever wanted to know about upgrading PSUs, video cards, CPUs, etc. for all its models but have to find forums like this to find out what people have found out the hard way and are willing to share? God forbid you have to call any of these vendors by phone! :eek: Did anyone ever wonder why HP is making it soooooo difficult to dump VISTA from the Slimlines and install XP?! Yeah, it can be done - but it's a terrifying, time-consuming and frustrating challenge. Fortunately, there are ways to beat the 'System'. :D Just venting a little this fine morning!

Back