The highly rated HP Pavilion Slimline PC thread

Hi, Everybody,
Posted a bit ago asking about actual power consumption. We purchased a system, details in my signature. It is a toasty little machine after unit is on for a while doing some crunching. A couple of questions. We have a tv tuner that came with the graphics card. We won't use it. If we disable it in the Device Manager, would this be the same as removing the card (haven't opened the box yet, but assume it is seperate from the graphics card since Device Manager shows a different physical location)? If we aren't using a tv tuner application, is it adding to the heat? We do have the new stock 230w psu.

About power consumption, we tested the following:
20" monitor, about 35w
Computer: asleep, 0-1 watt
resting, 60 watt
Application Google Earth, 70 watts
Application Real Flight r/c Flight Simulator, 95 watts
Internet Surfing, 65 watts

Take the TV tuner card out...it'll still draw power if it's plugged and certaintly generate heat. They are super easy to remove. The first post has a link to the HP user PDF for maintenance on the slimline that will show you anything you need to know about upgrading/servicing the slimlines.

It seems like the main focus for these little guys is on AMD with Nvidia.

Is there a reason why there isn't much on Intel and/or ATI?

I'm thinking eventually I'll replace my main rig with a mini-gamer and was just curious.

TIA

The following cards don't even require auxiliary power - just what the PCIe x16 bus provides:
ATI 3450
ATI 3650
ATI 4350
ATI 4550

Here's the current list of all low profile PCI-e ATI-based video cards that Newegg carries.
Note that not all low-profile coards are listed as such on NewEgg.

There are a bunch of PowerColor cards that didn't come up, that only require a low-profile bracket swap:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...0001419 1305520549 1069633099&name=Powercolor

If you look at the pictures, anything with the VGA D-sub on ribbon can have the full-height bracket replaced by the low-profile bracket, although you might have to buy the bracket separately...

i bought that powercolor hd 3450 as a temporary replacement for my xfx 9500 gt..pretty decent card, plays videos well, good card for basic operations and stuff, couldnt play some of the newer games though, but it plays some rts games like dawn of war and red alert 3 at medium settings with no hitch

Yeah, overall, I've been pretty happy with PowerColor. When I did the upgrade on my main rig, I ended up with a PowerColor AGP card after trying a couple others. I'm probably going to get a PowerColor card fior my Slimline pretty soon.

What motherboard(s) are these using?

The AMD (s3700z) appears to be using the Pegatron APX78-BN, while the Intel versions (3710t and s750t) are using the Irvine-GL6E. Interesting to note that HP's name for the Pegatron board is Nutmeg-GL6E. Same motherboard desgin, different company?

Anyway, I just found that by doing a quick search of HP's website. You might find more by doing a more through search. Why do you ask?

I asked about the motherboard because I'm thinking about replacing my main rig with a lite gaming rig down the line.

When I looked at the older Slimlines, they didn't look like they'd support what I wanted for lite gaming, and the required mods seemed excessive.

Now HP has a 230W PSU, with faster CPU support, etc., so I reconsider this as a possibility for later in the year.

Take the TV tuner card out...it'll still draw power if it's plugged and certaintly generate heat. They are super easy to remove. The first post has a link to the HP user PDF for maintenance on the slimline that will show you anything you need to know about upgrading/servicing the slimlines.
Archaea,
Thanks for the reply. We removed the TV turner, and it seems to draw 8-10 watts less than with it in. We're at 54 watts at rest, opposed to 63 watts. That's about 15%. We're getting close to the same power draw as our 17" laptop. And, we haven't had a chance to do much computing, but I notice there isn't really any rise in temperature over time. Not only does the TV tuner card create heat, but it blocks the flow of air to and around the graphics card. We'll certainly be watching the power and temps, but sure seems like this little unit is here to stay. Thanks again.

I have an HP Pavilion Slimline s7630.es Desktop PC with an a8mn-BR motherboard and upgraded to an Athlon X2 4850E.

Before start I made a backup of original firmware using an Award Flash tool from ASUS.
I tried flashing it to 3.04 firmware using HP tool, and afterwards fan was not recognized, Award Flash v7.32 did not recognize BIOS as an AWARD bios, then I reflashed it with original firmware, using Award Flash 132 from ASUS.
Afterwards I tried 5.04 firmware been unsuccessfull.
At the end I had to send motherboard for bios change at a computer shop nearby (I think they reprogramed it using a hardware tool).
They explained to me that now I can flash it with firmware 3.04 and back to 5.04 without problems using DOS award flash tool 8.31 (I decided not to try).
Only firmware 5.04 recognizes Athlon X2 4850E. With firmware 3.04 4850E works as an “unrecognized processor”.

Be aware that some motherboards carry a bios that can’t be actualized to firmware 5.04 nor 3.04, at least not with original HP firmware tool.

Also be carefull to make a backup copy of your original firmware using a DOS tool, otherwise you may ending with a not working motherboard.

Hey, John16 - that looks really cool!

I went to the Newegg link posted by Archaea for this cool fan but didn't find it there. Can you post the correct link? I was sweating the PSU after installing the XFX card but after discovering this forum :) I'm somewhat more relaxed now with the 160W PSU. How do you put on that USB connector?

Pic of the day...

I just received the LED fans and thought I would mount them right away. I gotta say that I really like this mod.

hp6.jpg

hp7.jpg
Hey, John16 - that looks really cool!

I went to the Newegg link posted by Archaea for this cool fan but didn't find it there. Can you post the correct link? I was sweating the PSU after installing the XFX card but after discovering this forum :) I'm somewhat more relaxed now with the 160W PSU. How do you put on that USB connector?

SlimKiwi

John used the same layout as 360 had done..
The fans can be found here:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834994002

If you see closely you will notice that the USB cord as a male/female end on it so you can plug the fans in as well as run another USB device on the other end of the fan plugin on the USB cord..

All that was done is the fans where removed from the cooling board and installed to the outer side of the Slimlines case..
Then the usb connector was pluged in the rear of the Slimlines USB input jack..
for $17 you cant beat it..
NOTE: The usb connector comes stock with the 2 fans connected to it..

This can also be found on the Front Page on post #1..

Enjoy..

Later,
Civic/Scooter

Thanks heaps, Civic/Scooter! Us SlimKiwis are kinda dense now and then. I never bothered to look further when I saw that laptop pad on the site and assumed it was the wrong link. Looking forward to the very cool(ing) blue light show! :) Did anyone install the SPI270LE 270W PSU? - and how is it working? From what I've read so far, that's not a job for a ten-thumbed SlimKiwi wearing gumboots :(

installing the 270 watt PSU is easy to do -- read the last 8 pages for details on two different installs.

hello to everyone. I have a query to ask. to dismantle the front of my s3041la, i found a wire weled to a piece that is mounted on the chassis, as shown in the image.

dsc01719.jpg

What is it? :confused:

Well, Arch, after reading all those posts as you suggested, I think I need at least a 120mm fan to cool down my brain. I think I'm throwing in the towel on the 270W and shifting my interest to the 300W PC50 you just ordered. In reading the dimensions of that PSU, they are all slightly larger than the stock PSU in my S3323w. I think the 160W dimensions are 150x80.5x40.5. Are those the dimensions of your current PSU? I'll be curious to find out how your PC50 installation goes. Will you need any extra bits, pieces and connectors like those needed for the 270W install?

I'm not into big game, so I may squeak by with what I already have (+the cool blue fans - until they melt) and maybe an upgraded processor at 45W? Which one do you recommend (with heatsink and fan, I assume)? Will any AM2 processor fit onto the M2N61-AR mobo?

I think I struck gold (or oil) in finding this forum! :)

Meanwhile, Arch, I went back to the 'bible' of the Slimline on your post#1 (truly invaluable for any Slimline owner) and re-discovered the list of processors compatible with my mobo. What practical benefits would I get by upgrading to the AMD 5600+ and staying at 65W (it doesn't seem to make sense to downgrade my current processor (AMD 4800+).

On the other hand, what do you think of this processor:

http://www.axiontech.com/prdt.php?item=85973 for similar performance at lower wattage (2.5GH at 45W)

Good News, Everyone! I installed the 450w supplemental psu and 9800GT and it runs FLAWLESSLY! Everything is mounted, but I still have to do a little cord control. I am very excited that I got my slimline jammin' with the 9800GT!

3312682698_3f3def6a63.jpg

3311853569_bc606c5324.jpg

3312681960_e2ed772efc.jpg

3312681660_2ac05cdc22.jpg

3312681360_b41cd87c84.jpg

3312681136_c3f07dd9d7.jpg

Now obviously I am going to have to get a little creative to hide the cables, but it is very possible to get everything in the case. Idle temp is ~47C. Load temp Max 54C.

Does anyone know if the default fans included in the Antec mini cases (350W 80PLUS) would be enough to power the Sparkle 9800GT (along with an E8400, 1 hard drive)? I'm thinking about that video card for my next build but in a slightly large case like the Antec Minuet 350...

My project s3023w.

I have a slower slimline, which uses the hematite mobo, which, AFAIK, cannot use 45W processors, so I'm looking at a minor PSU upgrade so I can put an 8400GS or 8600GT in there (and eventually a new CPU). The 8400GS is really sufficient for my needs considering my idea of gaming is firing up MAME to play Gauntlet.

So on a budget, I bought a 200W PSU off ebay for $6, figuring the 40W upgrade would be fine. With the adaptor from atxpowersupplies and 2 molex to SATA adaptors it comes to about $35. The PSU was a Sparkle FSP200-601U 200W. Anyways I could only get one fan screw to line up, so that is all that is currently secured, but it works and the case stands with no issues (for now).

I included some process pics for those interested.

Pics are here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewlida/sets/72157614489883254/detail/

Question for the forum: In '07 I upgraded my video card to a Geforce 7300 and it worked for about 4 months then one day the computer crashed when I started a movie and wouldn't even power up at all. No lights/beeps nothing. I removed the card and went back to onboard video and it has worked just fine for a year+ now. I still have the 7300 and when I put it in with the new PSU, it did the same thing. The computer won't even POST if that video card is plugged in (works fine w/ onboard video). My question is this: Is the vid. card fried, or the pci-e slot on the mobo? I haven't been able to test it in another machine.

...shifting my interest to the 300W PC50 you just ordered. In reading the dimensions of that PSU, they are all slightly larger than the stock PSU in my S3323w. I think the 160W dimensions are 150x80.5x40.5. Are those the dimensions of your current PSU? Will you need any extra bits, pieces and connectors like those needed for the 270W install?

I would hold off on purchasing the 300watt PC50 until it arrives via UPS tommorow and I can give you a legitimate review of it's size, volume (or lack thereof) and capability. The Sparkle 270 watt CPU is tiny. It's about half to 2/3's the length of the stock PSU. The power available on the 12 volt rail isn't that different between the Sparkle 270 watt PSU and the Shuttle 300 watt PSU. The Sparkle 270 watt PSU is actually rated on the sticker at 300 watts at 25*C or less. The only reason I'm trying out the shuttle is because the Sparkle 270watt PSU gets a bit too loud for my test with the quad core intel, and 9800 GT power drain. At startup it's quiet, and the PSU jump started without load is nearly silent --- but with load it increasingly gets louder as the temperatures rise. If you had a normal 65 watt CPU or 45 watt CPU with a 9500GS or something I'm sure the sparkle should be more than quiet enough. Note you will need that ATX power supply micro-fit adapter for any aftermarket PSU worth anything.

...processor at 45W? Which one do you recommend (with heatsink and fan, I assume)? Will any AM2 processor fit onto the M2N61-AR mobo?

I'd say get the 5050e
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103298
or the 4850e
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103255&Tpk=4850e
I own the BE-2400 in my HTPC slimline - which is slightly slower but has worked well for me.

What practical benefits would I get by upgrading to the AMD 5600+ and staying at 65W (it doesn't seem to make sense to downgrade my current processor (AMD 4800+).

Yeah --- your better off for heat generation and component longevity in the slimlines IMO to go to a 45 watt chip if you want to upgrade other internals. A 5050e is a 2.6ghz 45 watt chip...It should be slightly faster than your 4800+

Does anyone know if the default fans included in the Antec mini cases (350W 80PLUS) would be enough to power the Sparkle 9800GT (along with an E8400, 1 hard drive)? I'm thinking about that video card for my next build but in a slightly large case like the Antec Minuet 350...

I doubt the PSU fan would be enough to keep the case cool...It doesn't appear to have other fans right? But you could buy some 40mm fans for cheap enough to not worry about it too much. The 350 watt PSU is very nice. It has two 18 amp 12 volt rails - capable of 300 watts on the 12 volt rail alone!!!! Looks like a nice case. If you are wanting to put a slimline motherboard in that case you'll still need that ATX power supply adapter mentioned in the first post from ATXpowersupplies.com

I have a slower slimline, which My question is this: Is the vid. card fried, or the pci-e slot on the mobo? I haven't been able to test it in another machine.

Impossible for us to know I think --- without testing in a secondary machine. I would say in my 15 years of PC building exp. it's more likely that the card died than the PCI-E slot.

Also I 'think' that motherboard of yours will support the BE-2400 chip after a BIOS update that was released last year. I don't know if it supports the 4850e or 5050e though.

I'll wait to hear about your experience with the PC50, Arch, before getting power-drunk. Meanwhile, I ordered the ATX micro-fit adapter because I expect to bite some PSU bullet sooner or later. I'll probably combine the processor upgrade with the PSU upgrade (after the cool blue fans are spinning). What processor do you recommend if the PC50 proves to be the best option with watts galore?

Slimkiwi

with this bios upgrade

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...&dlc=en&cc=fr&lang=en&os=2093&product=3548658

I think you'll likely be able to run the fastest 5050e, 2.6Ghz X2 45 watt AM2 processor.

I can't guarentee it because I've not tested it myself, but I have no reason to believe you shouldn't be able to as that BIOS update is fairly recent and was created to update the CPU listing the motherboard supports. If you don't game you might even consider upgrading to a slower Mhz rated 1.8Ghz quad core EE phenom. If you are are upgrading the power supply you don't have much power concern for 65 vs. 45 watt processor --- the benefit of the lower power draw processor is much less heat generation! You'd be the first on this forum to my knowledge to try a quad core AMD if interested.. Though if you plan to game, you'd be better off with higher Mhz dual core because the quads aren't taken advantage of in the current gaming world. If you primarily do media encoding, or other applications that can take advantage of quad core I should think the quad core phenom would be better! I know both Vista and XP daily usage are much more SNAPPY with an Intel Quad core than any dual core I've ever used. (note: the Intel quad cores are much better than the phenoms in benchmarks and I've never tried a phenom in person - (but both vista and XP can take advantage of the additional cores to improve windows performance.)

SlimkiwiI think you'll likely be able to run the fastest 5050e, 2.6Ghz X2 45 watt AM2 processor.

I can confirm that processor will work as I have done a lot of research on what processor Im planning on getting and that will be the one that will be in mine soon (money permitting)..

I'm already on bios 5.18, so the only thing standing between me and Slimline Heaven are $$$ and time. Sound familiar? Arch, the key issue about the PC50 for me is whether or not it will fit in my case - especially lengthwise. Looks like I'll need an extra 40mm or so. Eyeballing the HP video on how to remove the PSU, there seems to be extra space in that direction. The height is within .5mm and the width is also very close. Of course, 'very close' may not be close enough! :eek:

I am sooooo glad I found this forum! :D

I can't get the BIOS update to work in windows 7. It says my system doesn't meet basic requirement :)

so I'm stuck at 5.07.

After wrestling with the Cool Blue fans for about 2 hours, I went back to John16's pix to see how he handled that nasty little metal tab on the case cover (see red circle in pix - coming later) that prevents one from closing the cover after installing the 2 fans. I thought of John's solution (slipping the tab between the case and the fan) but I was reluctant to loosen the bolt too much for fear (justified!) of the nut falling onto the mobo again - to be tracked down and extracted at great pain. So, I put the cover in a vise and filed away at that useless (I hope) tab until it was only half its former size and allowed the cover to close properly. Getting the bolts to bolt onto the teeny nuts on the inside of the case is quite an art in itself. I lost a nut 3 times somewhere on the mobo and had to get a flashlight and extractor (PC toolkit - never used that tool before) to recover them. Well, the story is longer and more terrifying than I'm telling but I'm glad to say it had a happy ending. :) The fans are purring (quietly) and looking very cool and blue, indeed! :) I'm gonna apply the cool-test after about an hour - putting my hand on top of the case and seeing how long I can keep it there without getting blisters. :eek:

How Sweet - and Slim - and Cool - and Blue it is!

Thank you, John16, (and others - I believe The.Ronin was the pioneer) for that excellent and cool idea. :eek:

th_BlueCool.gif

th_BlueCool1.jpg

cool-test results (after 1+ hour):

OMG - frost is forming on the case! (just kidding). The real story is that the case is now just pleasantly warm just above the PSU plug, while before most of the top cover got hot and I got bothered enough to turn the PC off after about an hour for a cool-down period. Now why didn't HP engineers think of this? I can now watch an entire movie without taking a 1/2 hour intermission. ;)

Hey Arch - how many watts are these little fans eating?

Anyone want a nice, new, acrylic laptop cooling pad without fans? ;)

Hey Arch - how many watts are these little fans eating?

Are you running them on the USB standard plugs? If so they are drawing power off the 5 volt rail (5 volt power line)

On the fans themselves should be an amp draw rating. The wattage draw is simple to figure out when you know these two numbers.

Amps x Volts = Watts

so (?) Amps (get that from your fan sticker then x2 since you have two fans) x 5 (volts) = your wattage draw.

Back