The [H] Dropbox Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
its pretty cool that they give even 2gb free. that's plenty of space for me atleast.

Dudes, a computer lab works wonders for getting extra space on Dropbox. I used a couple of our training rooms at work to get up to the 10GB or whatever the max is for the free account, and then found my old .edu address and used that to double the referral bonuses for a total of 18.3GB.

Dudes, a computer lab works wonders for getting extra space on Dropbox. I used a couple of our training rooms at work to get up to the 10GB or whatever the max is for the free account, and then found my old .edu address and used that to double the referral bonuses for a total of 18.3GB.
ooh good idea. so, what do you need? Multiple e-mail addresses for each referral?

ooh good idea. so, what do you need? Multiple e-mail addresses for each referral?

Nope, and that's the beauty of it. :) You don't actually have to go and create dummy email addresses.

Here's what I did:

1. Log into your Dropbox account and make note of your referral URL.

2. Visit that URL from any computer that hasn't had Dropbox installed and enter a random name, email, and password but it's important to write down or remember the email and password as you will need it again. I actually had fun getting creative in order to think of all of the random details. You could use something like:

First name: Bucky
Last name: McFrontteeth
Email: [email protected]
Password: thankululz

For the email addresses I used the normal domain names like yahoo, gmail, comcast, hotmail etc. so it wasn't obvious that I was spamming for space. I'm actually quite surprised that you don't have to go and create the email addresses, because I would have figured that Dropbox would send a verification/activation link to the email address like many other sites and forums do.

3. Install Dropbox on the PC and tell it that you already have a Dropbox account. Enter the email address and password that you used during the previous step and voila, your real Dropbox account is granted the extra space. Note that I was unable to do this on one PC multiple times; I'm guessing there is a file or registry setting that is left behind when Dropbox is uninstalled so that it knows it was already installed on that machine. I had tons of computers available to me so rather than take the time to figure that out I just used installed/uninstalled Dropbox on different PCs.

Feels like the cheap way of doing it, sure. But only a few people from here used my referral link (many thanks to those of you who did!) and I wasn't having much luck with the Dropbox invites that I sent to friends. Apparently they didn't see the value/convenience of the service like I do. At this point I'd almost consider paying for it because it's probably the best of the online sync/storage programs that I've tried.

Nope, and that's the beauty of it. :) You don't actually have to go and create dummy email addresses.

Here's what I did:

1. Log into your Dropbox account and make note of your referral URL.

2. Visit that URL from any computer that hasn't had Dropbox installed and enter a random name, email, and password but it's important to write down or remember the email and password as you will need it again. I actually had fun getting creative in order to think of all of the random details. You could use something like:

First name: Bucky
Last name: McFrontteeth
Email: [email protected]
Password: thankululz

For the email addresses I used the normal domain names like yahoo, gmail, comcast, hotmail etc. so it wasn't obvious that I was spamming for space. I'm actually quite surprised that you don't have to go and create the email addresses, because I would have figured that Dropbox would send a verification/activation link to the email address like many other sites and forums do.

3. Install Dropbox on the PC and tell it that you already have a Dropbox account. Enter the email address and password that you used during the previous step and voila, your real Dropbox account is granted the extra space. Note that I was unable to do this on one PC multiple times; I'm guessing there is a file or registry setting that is left behind when Dropbox is uninstalled so that it knows it was already installed on that machine. I had tons of computers available to me so rather than take the time to figure that out I just used installed/uninstalled Dropbox on different PCs.

Feels like the cheap way of doing it, sure. But only a few people from here used my referral link (many thanks to those of you who did!) and I wasn't having much luck with the Dropbox invites that I sent to friends. Apparently they didn't see the value/convenience of the service like I do. At this point I'd almost consider paying for it because it's probably the best of the online sync/storage programs that I've tried.

Thats a lot of work.

Save me the trouble and get an extra free 250 MB by signing up under me.

http://db.tt/eYMT4Rh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back