The [H]ardForum Perpetual Freebies Thread

Evening [H].. trying to complete a small build for my dad and the box i have is just missing a hdd...... and the only thing that would fit is msata... anyone got a 128 or 256 being a dust collector? I'd gladly pay shipping and maybe a bit more for larger to re-home it! (im hoping to put win10 and maybe later 11 on it so if i can run that on smaller, smaller would be fine too!) TIA

looking for a couple of AX200 wifi cards, I got some AX201 cards but these require 8th gen intel and newer I believe using some proprietary intel data connection (same slot, different connection)
Trying to upgrade an alienware to wifi6

edit; these are laptop wifi cards

Last edited:
Evening [H].. trying to complete a small build for my dad and the box i have is just missing a hdd...... and the only thing that would fit is msata... anyone got a 128 or 256 being a dust collector? I'd gladly pay shipping and maybe a bit more for larger to re-home it! (im hoping to put win10 and maybe later 11 on it so if i can run that on smaller, smaller would be fine too!) TIA
(Get your Dad an SSD, it will speed up the system so much). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XZLW68F/ref=twister_B09CDQWH95?_encoding=UTF8&th=1 240gb 25.99 free shipping with Prime. I did see some $15 SSDs here a few days about but I can not find them to link, and I need to get back to work.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
(Get your Dad an SSD, it will speed up the system so much). https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07XZLW68F/ref=twister_B09CDQWH95?_encoding=UTF8&th=1 240gb 25.99 free shipping with Prime. I did see some $15 SSDs here a few days about but I can not find them to link, and I need to get back to work.
I know 2.5' are cheaper and I have a spare. It would be great but the box I have doesn't have the clearance. Only place I can stick a drive is the msata slot. Of which I have none. =(

Attachments

• signal-2022-01-27-16-16-24-487.jpg
    signal-2022-01-27-16-16-24-487.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 0
  • signal-2022-01-27-16-53-57-065.jpg
    signal-2022-01-27-16-53-57-065.jpg
    367.5 KB · Views: 0
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Found it, I think. https://hardforum.com/threads/fs-misc-computer-parts.2016917/

Edit. My bad, you need m.2 You should measure to figure out what size/kind you need. Not sure if this helps. https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/...distinguish-the-differences-between-m-2-cards

Second edit, isn't the SSD attached to the bridge thing (that you took 2 screws out of) to take the picture, it looks like the SSD (has 4 screws into an SSD)?
I could totally be wrong.

Last edited:
Isn't msata just sata? IIRC I've seen some msata drives packaged in 2.5" SSD cases. You might be able to find one like that to shuck out of the 2.5" case.

Do you have any open area that you can stick the 2.5' drive? Technically, you don't need to put the 2.5'' drive in the drive bay as you an just tape it to anywhere that would fit. 2.5 drives are light enough and there is no movable parts, so you wont typically run into any stability issue if you just tape it to your case. The only thing that could potentially be an issue would be heat dissipation. (just throwing some idea here that maybe allow you to just use what you have)

Thanks for the responses! So to clarify, yes the cage is to attach a 2.5 ssd. But the cpu fan was a poor choice as it blocks the rack. It actually is forced down to be tightened. And from the previous post, if input a drive there, it won't shut at all.
Also included pictures of the slots. There are two msata slots, one for wifi card and one for drive.

I could find a new fan but that seems more hassle to find a fan and buy more thermal paste.
I could try to tape a 2.5 but then I need to find a female to female sata power. Regular sata cables I have plenty of.

edit: I'm sorry to derail this thread a bit. maybe it would be better for me to make a WTB thread i suppose. i was just hoping.

Attachments

• 20220203_160347.jpg
    20220203_160347.jpg
    772.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220203_160220.jpg
    20220203_160220.jpg
    620.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220203_160530.jpg
    20220203_160530.jpg
    439 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220203_160305.jpg
    20220203_160305.jpg
    439.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220203_160519.jpg
    20220203_160519.jpg
    478.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
those 4 screws *holes look like they are there for a ssd...
edit*

Last edited:
hmmm..... well then.... anyone have a female to female sata power cable? or know if a molex to sata splitter would work with no molex plugged in?

Attachments

• 591867_20220203_160347.jpg
    591867_20220203_160347.jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 0
hmmm..... well then.... anyone have a female to female sata power cable? or know if a molex to sata splitter would work with no molex plugged in?

I have some canabalized modular sata cables that could fit the bill. What kind of length are you looing for? 10" and 5" in the picture. Could also do custom length too if you want, have stuff left over from building cables for my build.

Also are you sure that's a power out and not some sort of weird supplemental power for the mobo?

IMG_0605.jpg

are you sure that's a power out and not some sort of weird supplemental power for the mobo?
Yes this post the model of that MB in that PC you don't want to let out that ever so important "Magic Smoke"
I believe a 2.5" SSD also only needs the +5VDC line?
And those single color cables are the bane of my existence as I can no longer easily tell the voltage line as Red = 5VDC Yellow = 12VDC Orange = 3.3VDC and black = Ground green = PS_ON (Jump to black to turn power supply on)

So with the blessing of cdabc123 I found a sata power splitter and plugged it in. I was pretty sure it was power out. Are there /any/ boards that require a sata power in? I took a gamble and It works! Can't really screw the drive into anything. I'm going to command strip the drive to the underside of the drive cage kinda like Fritzz pictured. Quite close to fan blades tho but it works!

edit: while i didnt need anyone to send me anything, i got free brainstorming and advice! thaaaaanks everyone!!

Attachments

• 20220203_222115.jpg
    20220203_222115.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220203_222716.jpg
    20220203_222716.jpg
    382.4 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220203_222058.jpg
    20220203_222058.jpg
    533.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
So with the blessing of cdabc123 I found a sata power splitter and plugged it in. I was pretty sure it was power out. Are there /any/ boards that require a sata power in? I took a gamble and It works! Can't really screw the drive into anything. I'm going to command strip the drive to the underside of the drive cage kinda like Fritzz pictured. Quite close to fan blades tho but it works!

edit: while i didnt need anyone to send me anything, i got free brainstorming and advice! thaaaaanks everyone!!

Glad it worked out and happy to derail a thread for a bit lol.

I would probably cover the male end of the splitter, wouldn't want it to short out in there.

Unless my group claims them....

I have a Logitech G403 Hero, Logitech MX518 (the OG best mouse ever), Steel Series Rival 100, and a Corsair Dark Core RGB PRO SE.

Pay for shipping and they are yours. No pics but they all work. I was trying to find a comfy mouse for me. I finally found them, now I have a lot of mice to get rid of. My loss is your gain.

Heatware is Subspeed6. It has been a hot minute since I got rid of stuff, but I am downsizing.

I have a Logitech G403 Hero, Logitech MX518 (the OG best mouse ever), Steel Series Rival 100, and a Corsair Dark Core RGB PRO SE.

Pay for shipping and they are yours. No pics but they all work. I was trying to find a comfy mouse for me. I finally found them, now I have a lot of mice to get rid of. My loss is your gain.

Heatware is Subspeed6. It has been a hot minute since I got rid of stuff, but I am downsizing.
Nice! Too bad the MX518 shape hurt my hands after a few hours, I assume the other ones are similar shape/sizes too. Awesome collection.

gone thru 2x newer 518s and a 502SE and im just sick and tired of logitechs double click issue. im not skilled enough to replace the click mechanism. id love to try another brand. if available, i'd like to re-home that corsair! (27284)

PMed about the Steel series and Corsair Dark

Does anyone have an old am3 cooler I bought an old computer case an it came with a free working motherboard. Cheapest I found was like 12 bucks or so am maybe I’m just being el cheapo

I can offer ddr3 ram or the cost of shipping if your not using it

Does anyone have an old am3 cooler I bought an old computer case an it came with a free working motherboard. Cheapest I found was like 12 bucks or so am maybe I’m just being el cheapo

I can offer ddr3 ram or the cost of shipping if your not using it
I have a few. IIRC I have a Zalman flower style which may be the best. Not sure if I have anything with heatpipes though. What's the TDP you're going to deal with?

Wanted a few literal floppy disks, not diskettes. Y'all remember the 8" and 5.25" floppies, right? It's for a museum display. I have many things to trade, but I figure to buy these outright. Dig deep, I know this is the place to look for these. I actually had a 5.25" drive and a few floppies 15 years ago but they went to the recycler 'no one will ever need these'...
I have a sealed box of Scotch 5.25" floppies in a protective case. Pay the postage from 92232 and they're yours :)

Edit: I'm always on the lookout for magazine coverdiscs (stuff from pc gamer etc) or preview / demo discs for games if you have a bunch you want to get rid of in exchange for this, but if not, just pay the postage and we're good.

If the Dark Core is still available, I'll take it. Shipping will be to 07109.

I currently use a Dark Core. Love it but you are correct about the MX518. Would love to have one again. Just the feel was the best.

Before I toss this stuff. I have an old Radeon card.

Gone Pcie and no power connector. Fan sounds like a failing power steering pump on a 94 explorer but the card displays video fine.

Gone Chinese from aliexpress pico style psu. Input 12v is bare leads. I forget the wattage but 100w give or take.

Gone Fan grills and cheap fan filters. 120 and 140mm.

Gone Logitech wireless keyboard with touch pad. Has paint over spray on it. Works fine but by default windows opens some nonsense with three finger swipe which seems to happen a lot by accident so that is the first thing I disable.

Let me know by tomorrow or its gone.

Last edited:
Hi, I have an old Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML120L RGB that has been well taken care of (RGBs working, working pump, no leaks), all mounting parts are included but it requires a fan (not sure what happened to the original fan, I never used it) and the RGB adapter is missing. It can be used with any motherboard that has an RGB connection or you can purchase the RGB adapter for $10 from Newegg.

No need to pay me for shipping I will ship it for free as well to the lower 48 states only, first person that pms gets it!

Thanks

and its GONE!

PXL_20220218_201421729.jpg
PXL_20220218_201413557.jpg

Last edited:
Back