The [H]ardForum Perpetual Freebies Thread

If the bearing isn't chewed up and is just seized from lack of lube, you can re-oil it and bring it back. All you gotta do is remove the fan, peel off the manufacturers sticker from the back to get access to the rear of the bearing and drip some 3-n-1 oil or silicone lube in and spin it back and forth by hand until it frees up. You'll also want to push/pull the hub in and out slightly to help migrate the lube around. If you feel any grittiness or see the lube get black, wash it out with more lube and keep turning it until the lube stays clear. If you leave any of the burned carbon suspended in the lube, it will act like liquid sandpaper and further trash the bearing.

Once you're done, leave a bit of oil in the back of the bearing and seal it in with a piece of electrical tape. You'll have to make sure the back face where the sticker was is clean and dry or the tape won't stick. A bit of windex will do the job, just don't get any in the bearing.
[/QUOTE]And to add to this, 3n1 used to make a special 'fan oil' that's intended for fans. I used some on an external usb case's fans until they completely wore out.

Another thing you can do is open it up and find the fan at digikey, mouser or any other component distributor. Plus you can get the panaflow hydrodynamic bearing fans and upgrade it for the rest of its life. (y)

If the bearing isn't chewed up and is just seized from lack of lube, you can re-oil it and bring it back. All you gotta do is remove the fan, peel off the manufacturers sticker from the back to get access to the rear of the bearing and drip some 3-n-1 oil or silicone lube in and spin it back and forth by hand until it frees up. You'll also want to push/pull the hub in and out slightly to help migrate the lube around. If you feel any grittiness or see the lube get black, wash it out with more lube and keep turning it until the lube stays clear. If you leave any of the burned carbon suspended in the lube, it will act like liquid sandpaper and further trash the bearing.

Once you're done, leave a bit of oil in the back of the bearing and seal it in with a piece of electrical tape. You'll have to make sure the back face where the sticker was is clean and dry or the tape won't stick. A bit of windex will do the job, just don't get any in the bearing.
And to add to this, 3n1 used to make a special 'fan oil' that's intended for fans. I used some on an external usb case's fans until they completely wore out.

Another thing you can do is open it up and find the fan at digikey, mouser or any other component distributor. Plus you can get the panaflow hydrodynamic bearing fans and upgrade it for the rest of its life. (y)
[/QUOTE]
I use thin grease to pack that back area since oils will leech away quickly. I have had fans last years after (including ones that use to full on groan)

Looking for a universal remote for a Pioneer VSX-918 receiver. Anyone got a universal remote that would work they dont want?

Looking for a universal remote for a Pioneer VSX-918 receiver. Anyone got a universal remote that would work they dont want?
Might be able to pick up a replacement on eBay for about what it would cost one shipped on here.

ddr2 and ddr3 pay for shipping should be around 5 from 95678
1612735712469.png

And to add to this, 3n1 used to make a special 'fan oil' that's intended for fans. I used some on an external usb case's fans until they completely wore out.

I use thin grease to pack that back area since oils will leech away quickly. I have had fans last years after (including ones that use to full on groan)
[/QUOTE]

I'm still using the receiver (I rigged an 80MM fan up switched by the 12V trigger out to a solid state relay receptacle I made as modern AVR's no longer have the switched receptacle on the back why?) when I first turned it on I head a god aweful screeching noise I did not know the unit even had a fan until I looked at the back closely (oops!)

anyway the fan is dead will not move at all I tried it with power off and it will not move freely (well not easily enough that the motor can move it).

I do collect older & antique fans so I do have the 3-in-1 oil Home Depot only sells the red bottle (Don't use that!) Lowes sells the blue bottle which is the correct one I did go to Pep Boys and buy a quart of SAE-20 non-detergent engine oil (the blue 3-in-1 is basically that) the quart will last me forever as the blue bottle lasted me more 10 years and it is still 1/4 way full!

I'm still using the receiver (I rigged an 80MM fan up switched by the 12V trigger out to a solid state relay receptacle I made as modern AVR's no longer have the switched receptacle on the back why?) when I first turned it on I head a god aweful screeching noise I did not know the unit even had a fan until I looked at the back closely (oops!)

anyway the fan is dead will not move at all I tried it with power off and it will not move freely (well not easily enough that the motor can move it).

I do collect older & antique fans so I do have the 3-in-1 oil Home Depot only sells the red bottle (Don't use that!) Lowes sells the blue bottle which is the correct one I did go to Pep Boys and buy a quart of SAE-20 non-detergent engine oil (the blue 3-in-1 is basically that) the quart will last me forever as the blue bottle lasted me more 10 years and it is still 1/4 way full!
[/QUOTE]

You have to pull label, remove the little c clip, pull it apart, clean, reassemble with aforementioned grease. 99% of the time the fan is not actually dead

You have to pull label, remove the little c clip, pull it apart, clean, reassemble with aforementioned grease. 99% of the time the fan is not actually dead
[/QUOTE]

Yes I know that I have done this many times "back in the day" (I love that phrase) to revive the small north-bridge fans that they also used "back in the day" LoL!

My X570 Aorus Elite has a small fan also but I don't even hear it!

This Denon is a Royal PITA to open so I have not even done so yet but I took a tooth pick and tried to move said fan with power off I was hoping to get another fan just in case I can't revive this one.

If anyone can read service manual and tech blabber (I can't read a schematic or even understand one) can you tell me if the fan is temperature controlled or just on all the time if the receiver is on?
You can download it at HiFi Engine
PS: Download service manuals first you are only allowed 4 file downloads per 24 Hour period.

Yes I know that I have done this many times "back in the day" (I love that phrase) to revive the small north-bridge fans that they also used "back in the day" LoL!

[/QUOTE]
you are showing your age. People haven't said "back in the day" since back in the day. :D

you are showing your age. People haven't said "back in the day" since back in the day. :D
[/QUOTE]
Well I was born in 1984 so maybe not back far enough in the day but?

If anyone can read service manual and tech blabber (I can't read a schematic or even understand one) can you tell me if the fan is temperature controlled or just on all the time if the receiver is on?
You can download it at HiFi Engine
PS: Download service manuals first you are only allowed 4 file downloads per 24 Hour period.

PM me the schematic and I'll look at it for you, I'm not making an account there just to download it.

I am looking for a socket 370, 478, or 775 motherboard if anyone has something laying around. I can toss you a few bucks for it on top of shipping. Not an urgent need by any stretch of the imagination.

I would also consider a barebone OEM system too. I've got a UPS account.

I gave away some LGA2011 Xeons recently if you are looking for "street cred".

Have these CPUs still up for grabs

also any old boards laying around. LGA1155 or higher. CPUs as well
Do you have any boards - don't care about the age of the processor with 4-6 PCI-E slots. (can be 1x, 4x, 8x, 16x - doesn't matter)
I'd buy a board and CPU combo from you above paying shipping. CPU speed and capability does not matter.

you got LGA1155 board?
Do you have any boards - don't care about the age of the processor with 4-6 PCI-E slots. (can be 1x, 4x, 8x, 16x - doesn't matter)
I'd buy a board and CPU combo from you above paying shipping. CPU speed and capability does not matter.
No i was asking if anyone had any older boards laying around that were 1155 or higher and possibly CPUs for them

I have some 775 boards and a 939 board with CPU though

Anyone have an old ISA sound card? Also, does anyone have an old 128mb-256mb AGP graphics card?

[/QUOTE]What's the specific grease you've used? I'll definitely use that from now on. (y)

What's the specific grease you've used? I'll definitely use that from now on. (y)
[/QUOTE]
Honestly I dont know what it is but its very close to the consistency of that blue "VCR grease" If anyone knows a post Radio shack version of this I would very much like to know. "Radioshack Multipurpose lube gel" Cat# 64-2326. Due to how well it works, I exclusively use it for fans.

Edit; I am well aware of allot of the results when googling the name of product. ;)

In search of a logitech unifying receiver.

I have to offer: 160GB SATA laptop hard drive

Got you covered!

Ah, the great unifier. A fellow man of culture, I see.

He's covered!

PS: About that fan the fan is dead even after taking it to pieces the tiny motor had burned windings they were black/burnt not copper like they should have been and being a vintage fan and appliance collector I know what a fan motor should look like anyway I got another one on the way!

Anyone have any ROG sticker pages, metal badges, coloring books, trading cards, etc?
They're uh, for a friend...
Message me if you've got 'em and don't want 'em.

Last edited:
Kind of obscure item these days but does anyone have an old ABC switch for coax 'F' connectors? All of see are CB style antenna connector ones or ones for way more then they went for when these were still a current 'trending' product LoL.
I have a radio antenna outside and 3 radios (one HD-Radio, one, RDS & one plain AM/FM but the antenna is just FM) any way a regular splitter loses signal but the ABC switches don't as it only goes to what is selected (I'm pretty sure a little signal is lost from the connections?)
My antenna is a Wineguard HD-6010

looking for some old pci/isa/agp cards for a retro build. Broken is fine because I will be destroying them... sorry folks. Let me know what you have, I was thinking modem, sound card, maybe gpu with blue vga connector. If you have something else interesting let me know! Would like to get 3 cards from one person to save on shipping ideally.

edit: and a 3.5" floppy drive, any color as long as it comes with the bezel.

Last edited:
looking for some old pci/isa/agp cards for a retro build. Broken is fine because I will be destroying them... sorry folks. Let me know what you have, I was thinking modem, sound card, maybe gpu with blue vga connector. If you have something else interesting let me know! Would like to get 3 cards from one person to save on shipping ideally.

I've got all that stuff, and yeah, some of it is broken.
I've actually got a lot of modems.
I accidentally won a cheap ebay listing a few years ago and got myself a massive lot of dial-up modems. Ugh.

I accidentally won a cheap ebay listing a few years ago and got myself a massive lot of dial-up modems. Ugh.
I will pm you when I get home, running out the door. :)

Apparently Argentina was still on dial up as recent as a few years ago. I'm sure modems would still be popular for p2p links that require high security--but we have no phone lines anymore! :confused:

Looking for an older video card, around 10 years-ish. Brother in law has an old Q6600 system but vid card is an amd HD 4550 512mb. This card was a dumper when it came out for gaming. Obviously not looking for anything special here, just something better than what he's got. If it works, I'm interested.

FYI I live in Ontario, canada. Time to ship doesn't matter.

Looking for an older video card, around 10 years-ish. Brother in law has an old Q6600 system but vid card is an amd HD 4550 512mb. This card was a dumper when it came out for gaming. Obviously not looking for anything special here, just something better than what he's got. If it works, I'm interested.

FYI I live in Ontario, canada. Time to ship doesn't matter.
I'm pulling apart an old pc right now, it has a GT 240. Not much better but better nonetheless. It'll be free but I don't think the shipping to CAN is worth it.

I'm pulling apart an old pc right now, it has a GT 240. Not much better but better nonetheless. It'll be free but I don't think the shipping to CAN is worth it.

I think you're right on the shipping. Thanks for the offer.

I think I've decided to leave the 4550 in there for now. It's just too much hassle at this point.

Xonar Essence STX/A.

Was working when I pulled it years ago, but it's been through several moves with less than stellar packing protection. So...no guarantees it works, but if it does you get a nice sound card for shipping costs?

Figure somebody might want it

Claimed

Attachments

• 20210305_204403.jpg
    20210305_204403.jpg
    319.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
160 GB 2.5" WD hard drive. Any takers?

IMG_5392.jpg

Also a bunch of cables/adapters/misc stuff...if anyone can use this stuff, take ANY and ALL of it.

IMG_5393.jpg

Back