The game you like that nobody knows of

What ever happened to game demos? Use to rely on them heavily for my gaming back in the real early 2000's.

Indeed! One of the best games ever. Still play this with friends today. (with a little alcohol) :D

right?

we had it in the dorms on some Atari PC with 4 controllers, to this day the most riotous fun I have had with computers

right?

we had it in the dorms on some Atari PC with 4 controllers, to this day the most riotous fun I have had with computers

Mischievous Glac Elves broke into your storage shed and stole half of your food.

If you guys are into retro pixel art style games, definitely check out Not a Hero. It's like broforce meets hotline miami

I've been thinking about grabbing that one. Looks like fun from the videos I saw.

Last Blade 2 are among my favorites.

DUDE, THIS game.... Oh man, the animations are absolutely stunning. All characters and the backgrounds, just oozing with detail. Some KOF stages may look better, but they sure don't animate like The Last Blade 2. LB2 gets my vote for the best looking NEO GEO game ever. (Even over Garou: Mark of the wolves)

DUDE, THIS game.... Oh man, the animations are absolutely stunning. All characters and the backgrounds, just oozing with detail. Some KOF stages may look better, but they sure don't animate like The Last Blade 2. LB2 gets my vote for the best looking NEO GEO game ever. (Even over Garou: Mark of the wolves)

I absolutely love the burning house level. I'd agree, some of the others have this or that aspect that might be slightly better, but the overall look, feel, etc. of LB2 tops them all. Not to mention, I always love the freakish character, (in this case the bandaged leper guy, (or Basara on Samurai Showdown IV) or the guy in Landmaker.) :D Don't know why, but they seem to always have the craziest weapons.

I absolutely love the burning house level. I'd agree, some of the others have this or that aspect that might be slightly better, but the overall look, feel, etc. of LB2 tops them all. Not to mention, I always love the freakish character, (in this case the bandaged leper guy, (or Basara on Samurai Showdown IV) or the guy in Landmaker.) :D Don't know why, but they seem to always have the craziest weapons.

YES! The burning house! That stage is ingrained in my memories. Also the market on the hill with the birds flying around.
LB2 is just so consistent, so alive, a visual 2D treat. The character movements, lest my memories be better than reality, is comparable to SF3. So smooth and clean. Samurai Shodown has always been my fav series on the GEO, but Last Blade is up there too, can't ignore something so good. :)

if you enjoyed TFC/QTF and liked TF2 but thought it lacked depth, then fortress forever is for you.

it's free and the true heir to the fortress throne. 10,000x better than hat simulator, er TF2

I loved the sequel to Rise of Nations, "Rise of Legends". I have yet to see anyone on the forum mention it :(

I play rise of nations almost every day for the past 10 years. keep meaning to buy Rise of Legends but always forget about it.

I play rise of nations almost every day for the past 10 years. keep meaning to buy Rise of Legends but always forget about it.

I did hardware compatibility testing for Nations. I didn't even know they made another game. I had a lot of fun with the original. I still have my golds somewhere. I should toss it on sometime.

I'm surprised Powerslave didn't get a mention.

Also +1 for Fury3. I still have a copy of it's sequel, Hellbender. They tried to market it to the X-Files crowd, saying it had Gillian Anderson doing some VO work for it. Totally down for some redhead love, but her VO work sucked.

One Must Fall 2097 anyone?

YES! I only ever had the shareware version, but game was fun. The clang sound that a really good solid hit against your opponent made was like, SUPER satisfying.

A game I loved back in the day that seems to have just disappeared without a trace is FireFight. This was a sort of isometric shooter where you pilot this little flying tank thing, published by EA back when EA wasn't totally evil. It had multiplayer back when that was a notable feature, and it was SUPER pretty for it's day.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com/aid,...ery/&article_id=662575&image_id=916499&page=2

I'd pay full price for this today, if I could find a place to buy it from. :(

Yeah, I loved OMF too. It was a lot of fun, and had nice music.

I thought of posting OMF but figured it wasn't that rare. I can still remember the theme and neato sports desk-esque end of a fight.

Paradroid
Starfleet I
Autoduel
Gumball
Mail Order Monsters
Temple of Asphai
Heart of Africa
Impossible Mission
Infocom games
Skate or Die
Infiltrator
Paperboy
H.E.R.O.
Lords of Conquest
Raid Over Moscow
The Last Ninja
Golden Axe
Stunts
Hard Drivin'
Steel Thunder
Karateka
Super Cycle
Lemmings
Rags To Riches
The Captive
Outrun
The President is Missing
Robin of the Wood
Space Taxi

Paradroid
Starfleet I
Autoduel
Gumball
Mail Order Monsters
Temple of Asphai
Heart of Africa
Impossible Mission
Infocom games
Skate or Die
Infiltrator
Paperboy
H.E.R.O.
Lords of Conquest
Raid Over Moscow
The Last Ninja
Golden Axe
Stunts
Hard Drivin'
Steel Thunder
Karateka
Super Cycle
Lemmings
Rags To Riches
The Captive
Outrun
The President is Missing
Robin of the Wood
Space Taxi

Wow, nice list! I think there are only 2-3 on that list that I haven't played/owned. Definitely add Raid on Bungeling Bay to that, Archon, and M.U.L.E. (though those have been mentioned in the thread already.)

I guess I'll be emulating the C64 tonight. :D

Wow, nice list! I think there are only 2-3 on that list that I haven't played/owned. Definitely add Raid on Bungeling Bay to that, Archon, and M.U.L.E. (though those have been mentioned in the thread already.)

I guess I'll be emulating the C64 tonight. :D

Heck yeah! Which emulator do you use?

VICE is the most accurate with chipset emulation and portable. CCS64 is the easiest to use generally. VICE 2.4 is what I use most of the time. It also emulates the SID chip best.

Cool, I'll have to check out VICE. I've always used CCS64. Thanks!

Unicycles for the SNES. Its pretty fun with a friend but has a moderately steep learning curve to get good at it.

This is an odd one, and only half qualifies, but did anyone play the Doom Alpha? I remember a friend managed to get a leak from a local BBS. It was very different from how it eventually turned out. I don't even know if it had sound. Just a map or two, one gun that had a bayonet or some form of bladed tip, and a dark blue (if I remember correctly) minimap overlay. I realize it's not a full game, and the game it became was absolutely iconic, but I've never met someone who saw it.

I remember Uniracers. It looked cool, but came out in the era of a million platform games (Cool Spot, Sonic, Mario, Lion King, Pitfall Mayan Adventure, etc.) so it went unplayed for me. Looking back, it definitely was unique among all those (and more).

This is an odd one, and only half qualifies, but did anyone play the Doom Alpha? I remember a friend managed to get a leak from a local BBS. It was very different from how it eventually turned out. I don't even know if it had sound. Just a map or two, one gun that had a bayonet or some form of bladed tip, and a dark blue (if I remember correctly) minimap overlay. I realize it's not a full game, and the game it became was absolutely iconic, but I've never met someone who saw it.

I ran a BBS called "Excalibur" in 1994-96.

The age of Telix and Dwango....

Legend of the Red Dragon. Various *arez titles etc.

Good times.

Last edited:

Good times.

They were indeed! Telex and QModem Pro were my favorites. :D Got into ANSI art for a little while, knew a lot of the local sysops, and went to various meets around here. That was a lot of fun. It was a whole different interaction then. I also was given a University faculty shell account later on, that would prove to be an interesting conduit to all of that. Ah, the good old days. :cool:

Cool, I'll have to check out VICE. I've always used CCS64. Thanks!

Ah, you'll be right at home then. It takes a bit more to set up, but it's not too bad. Normal Windows menus to do it all in. Just way more chipset options to pick and choose from, accuracy settings, etc. Until recently, it was surprising just how much power was needed to properly emulate such a primitive (well, that's relative, as it was really an elegant design IMO) machine. Copying my C64 collection over to my laptop right now actually.

I still have all my old floppies, but I left them in the garage for so long through many seasons that I think some of them eventually cracked. They worked as of around two years ago, but my last 1541 died on me, so I just stopped caring about them. (have mixed feelings about that...) I still have a stack of around 8 C64Cs in my basement. Some in perfect shape, some were to steal SID chips out of, and one or two for parts. :D I think I've got a 128 down there too somewhere. I started feeling like a hoarder though, so I stopped collecting. hehehe

Good times.

There was a BBS named Excalibur in the eastern Nebraska 402 area code...long shot, but was it you?

Ah, you'll be right at home then. It takes a bit more to set up, but it's not too bad. Normal Windows menus to do it all in. Just way more chipset options to pick and choose from, accuracy settings, etc. Until recently, it was surprising just how much power was needed to properly emulate such a primitive (well, that's relative, as it was really an elegant design IMO) machine. Copying my C64 collection over to my laptop right now actually.

I still have all my old floppies, but I left them in the garage for so long through many seasons that I think some of them eventually cracked. They worked as of around two years ago, but my last 1541 died on me, so I just stopped caring about them. (have mixed feelings about that...) I still have a stack of around 8 C64Cs in my basement. Some in perfect shape, some were to steal SID chips out of, and one or two for parts. :D I think I've got a 128 down there too somewhere. I started feeling like a hoarder though, so I stopped collecting. hehehe

I'm jealous...I pitched all my old C64 floppies 20 years ago. Didn't have my C128 anymore, as we got rid of it in a move back in '89. Jumped straight in to PC with an 8 MHz 8088. I miss my Commodore, but luckily the emulators do a pretty good job.

There was a BBS named Excalibur in the eastern Nebraska 402 area code...long shot, but was it you?

It was not. Just a 214 code from Dallas with three admins.

"The Wall" was THE BBS to beat in our area code back then.

Back