The game that started it all!

First game ever:

Wolfenstein 3D.

We got our first computer (386/16 with no sound card or cd-rom...woo woo!) right when it came out, and I bought it because I thought it looked cool. I had no idea I was buying a revolutionary game that would forever change gaming :D

Other games from the early days:

X-COM
X-Wing
Civilization
Doom
et cetera...

whoami? said:
The first I ever played was Gortek and the Microchips for the Commodore VIC-20, on cassete tape. What truly hooked me forever was when a friend of mine called me up one day, glowing at his brand new Tandy 1000XL with 20mb hard card, and that I just HAD to check out this game called Wing Commander...........

I never really counted the VIC-20 or Atari 2600 when I talk about gaming. Of course, I have a low opinion of console gaming all around, so I'm biased :)

For the record, I can't remember what my first games were outside the PC world. I played on the Commodore and Atari more than I watched TV as a kid, and I started some time around age 5. I've still got a working 4-switch Atari and two VIC-20s.

First online, as in Internet, experience? Probably QuakeWorld. After that, Tribes. I had probably the worst dialup service ever, though (anybody who remembers and knows what FIRN means will probably cringe at the thought :p ). The first game I spent a long time with online was Counterstrike, I'd just gotten to college and there was a server run on campus. :D I left CS for DoD when it came out.

Hmmm the first PC game I got hooked on? Had to be Mean 18 golf for my dad's 286 in '86, then I got Earl Weaver Baseball in '87 and played that for a year.... Those two got me started.

My fav that is not so well known...

Gotta be Mean 18 cause I don't know many that played that. I still bust it out, the same golf.exe I have from back then survived on floppy and even runs in 2000 and XP with the same sound! It's creepy.

Online game was HL/TFC I was a god (top 100 in the world, 74th one week even). Had a good clan, my own server and an amazing time in my life...

Long live clan LA-DONG!

RIP Donger

I played games since I was a little kid with a pong console. I would have to say my first love was Team Fortress Classic.

My First real ON LINE hook was Quake.
I remember seeing that game on a computer at the mall and needed to buy it right away.

It was the first time I ever tryed Internet gaming.
Once I got a 56k modem I was LOL (upgraded from 36.6)

My first game on the PC was Wolf3D, I still remember setting up the sound and IRQ's!

LOL

The first game that got me interested in PC gaming was Wolf3D. But the one that "hooked" me was Tie Fighter. Holee CRAP did I waste a ton of time on that game...

The best game I've played that didn't get a lot of press was Nox. It was a hack/slash RPG in the vein of Diablo or Baldur's Gate. Fun stuff!

Hmm, probably the first descent was my first game I got hooked on, but I liked descent II a little more. When it finally came out.

There was a few really early ones that I enjoyed a lot:

Kingdom of Kroz (I'm sure no one has ever heard of that one)
Thexder
Infiltrator
Kings Quest (the first one)

I played all of those a lot when I was little. I also played a lot of X-Com (one of my favorite games ever) and Warlords/Warlords II.

And on my Mac, I played a TON of Marathon. That was my first real "network" game that got me into truly multiplayer stuff. Sure, Warlords was multiplayer, but on the same computer.

I still play X-Com and Marathon now and then.

And the original Dragon Warrior got me hooked on RPG's. :D

Mmm... Dragon Warrior... So many slimes.. lol

Where's a goldman when I need one? hehe

TFC was what got me into online gaming.

some old Win 3.1 (i think, maaaaaaaaybe 95) games my dad got from a neighbors garage sale were the ones that got me into gaming in the first place. One was called "Humans" and that was a blast. cool kinda puzzle game.

Quake on 28.8k modem. Fun for everyone! Quad damage Super-Shotty makes poeple go BOOM! You have to love the yumtacular gibs. That was also my first time ever hearing "owned" and I replied instictively "Rocket Whore!"

First game to really hook me in was ELITE on the C-64. I would keep a supply of cheap joysticks on hand because I used to get into that game so much I would snap them at the base trying to make my ship turn faster... :D

First online game experience was Tradewars 2000 on the BBS. I would call every board in town to play that game every day...

Command and Conquer baby!!!

Gotta love Cain from the Nod campaign. It totally reeled me in the first mission. Running men over with Humvees was the coolest thing my 12 year old eyes had ever saw. Then came the flame tanks....

To this day the Command and Conquer series is my favorite series of all time.

WhyYouLoveMe said:
The first game that got me interested in PC gaming was Wolf3D. But the one that "hooked" me was Tie Fighter. Holee CRAP did I waste a ton of time on that game...

The best game I've played that didn't get a lot of press was Nox. It was a hack/slash RPG in the vein of Diablo or Baldur's Gate. Fun stuff!

My first game was Gortek and the Microchips...I think. There were several simple c64 games I used to play way back then, most of them stuff I typed in out of a Compute! Gazette.

Re. Nox, did you play the downloadable expansion, that turned Nox into a Gauntlet type game?

Json23 said:

Gotta love Cain from the Nod campaign. It totally reeled me in the first mission. Running men over with Humvees was the coolest thing my 12 year old eyes had ever saw. Then came the flame tanks....

And before C&C there was Dune 2. Deviators rule :D

Json23 said:

Oooh, yeah. My favourite part of the game is the (Nod) ending, though. :D

The game that got me onto online gaming was day of defeat 1.3b baby!

As for overlooked game, Giants: Citizen Kabuto was friggin hilarious.

I remember playing Alien (a ripoff of Space Invaders) on an old Kapro II computer, but the game that really got me into PC gaming was Mechwarrior 2.

Oooh, yeah. My favourite part of the game is the (Nod) ending, though.

Nothing was better than blowing up your choice of a National Landmark!! I think I blew Big Ben up first. Then I went back and beat it all over again.

I never did get the Nuke missle in that game though...

To get the nuke, you had to collect certain things on 3 or 4 of the earlier maps. Miss one, no nuke...and none were obvious. Just a small crate somewhere on the map, hidden in a building usually.

Atari - with about 20-30 games we had when I was 3. Then the NES and what got me into computer gaming was Rogue Spear and then Counter-strike.

Edit: Actually my first 2 games on PC was Quake 2 and Mech Warrior 3

For online games, it would have to be the original quake... I played the hell out of that game. It was all over after that. Now I'm addicted to MMORPG's, and am currently addicted to WoW.... which is a bad thing when you throw in college classes... lol

Json23 said:
Nothing was better than blowing up your choice of a National Landmark!! I think I blew Big Ben up first. Then I went back and beat it all over again.

I never did get the Nuke missle in that game though...

The second time around, I saved just before I won. :D
I did actually get the nuke the first time around, probably because I methodically levelled everything the first time around, got the crates, and remembered where they were the next time around. That was ... undocumented.

LORD : Legend of the Red Drageon by Seth Able

BBS Door game, waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay before anything else.

decathalon game for the green screen computer i was playing on when i was 7. didn't know what kind of computer it was back then nor did i care at that age :p

Kings Quest 6 and Police Quest with "Detective Carry, you have robing hands!" Then I got into Doom.....

theNoid said:

Man, forgot about that game. I didn't play it though until 1998, on the Ufies bbs.

Hmm...what started it all?
Well I played Doom, Chips Challenge, Theme Park, Descent when I was younger. Well I remember playing this, and it moved up to Dungeon Keeper, Doom 2, a couple of years later it was GTA. We also had Duke Nukem. And Goldeneye I played that alot, I still do, sometimes.
It's hard to pin point a game, I have fond memories of chips challenge though. Descent was cool too. Doom is a game all are familar with.

theNoid said:

Yup, I played the crap outta that game on my trusty Zenith 286 with dual 20 meg hard drives and a 2400 baud modem. In fact, up until about a month ago I was playing the Legend of the Green Dragon (excellent knock-off) until I got to 3 DK's and got bored.... :)

BloodE said:
Hmm...what started it all?
Well I played Doom, Chips Challenge, Theme Park, Descent when I was younger. Well I remember playing this, and it moved up to Dungeon Keeper, Doom 2, a couple of years later it was GTA. We also had Duke Nukem. And Goldeneye I played that alot, I still do, sometimes.
It's hard to pin point a game, I have fond memories of chips challenge though. Descent was cool too. Doom is a game all are familar with.

I killed a lot of time at work playing Chips Challenge, as I'm sure others did too!

Back