• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

The game that started it all!

The first indication that I was a computer game junkie was when I would get to school early to play Mystery House on the Apple IIC. First game at home was Ghostbusters or John Elway's Quarterback on a Tandy 25 years ago... Back in the day when BBS's were the only way to do multiplayer games. MudDog is where I began to waste whole days online, and as a substitue when MudDog died... VargonMud. EQ has nothing on a good MUD. The whole idea of text only so you have to use you imagination is probably the best point of MUDs over the graphical MMORPG's.

I also spent many a night sneaking out to the livingroom and playing Burgertime on the Intellivision with the sound turned off so I didn't get caught.
 
Team Fortress Classic for HL1. What a great game. Still play it from time to time.
 
Tunnels of DOOOOM!!!11!

tod.jpg
 
it all started when my friend started playing mechwarrior 3 online. there was so much lag that it made it kinda fun to play. everyone was firing at each other and you had to be really good at guessing the other person's "lag spot" in order for hits to register. my friend and i would stay up countless hours in the night playing this game and then i built my own computer and ive been a computer nerd ever since :D
 
Agile Warrior F-IIIX (i beat this game repeatedly every week)
Mech Warrior 2
Command & Conquer (original)
 
For me it was Dig Dug, on some old Green and Black computer my dad had, i was 4-5 years old at the time.

The most memorable for me are Starcraft/starcraft broodwars and Halflife: Team Fortress Classic and some early Counterstrike (1.3-1.6 days)
 
For me it was definately Wolfenstein 3D.

I built my own 386 when I was 10 so that I could play Doom.
 
Edit: Online: Total Annihilation

Edit: Ignore This, I didn't read the first post :).
MadMaze, Blindmaze, and Lightspeed.

I believe those are the correct *Maze names, I know Lightspeed is the actual name of the game. Played them on my (family's) first computer, an 8mhz machine with a 12mhz turbo button that would heat up the computer until it shut off.

Man, Lightspeed was awesome. I found a copy of it a few years ago, but lost it in a reformat. As for MadMaze and Blindmaze, I assume they're out there somewhere.

And another game I remember from my earlier days: Paganitzu. Excellent game, found and bought a copy of that recently.


*wipes tear from eye* :p
 
The first game that had me dying for my computer was Delta Force. I played it first at my friends house and after the first 10 minutes i had to have it. :D :D :D
 
coffee33 said:
Whats the one game that got you hooked and spending to much time online on the computer. The one game that started it all?

Mine was Myth:the fallen lords.

My second question is...Whats the best game you ever played but was overlooked by most?
mine was this one below
http://www.donanimhaber.com/game/ekrang/sacrifice/

God that game was fun but nobody knew about it. :(

Kingdom of Kroz? o wait that wasn't online ;)
 
The game that got me hooked was the first wolfenstein and the first doom, then it was Mechwarrior, and Civ. Good times.
 
Bought my first computer-a 386sx 16Mhz on my very first credit card that I applied for specifcally to come up with $3000 so I could play Wing Commander.

I really loved Battlezone II and I think that game was seriously overlooked for how good it was and still is. Single player was good and the Multiplayer was absolutely fantastic.
 
Jeez, I feel old!!! :eek:


The first "console"-style game I ever played was some variant of Pong, when I was really young.. The first computer based game I played was some kind of text-based adventure game in '80 or '81. :D
 
UrielDagda said:
Jeez, I feel old!!! :eek:


The first "console"-style game I ever played was some variant of Pong, when I was really young.. The first computer based game I played was some kind of text-based adventure game in '80 or '81. :D

Thanks, now I feel young. :)

(hint: I had a TRS-80)
 
> West of House. You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door. There is a small mailbox here.
 
^^^^^^^ Zork.

Remember Planetfall or The Leather Goddesses of Phobos? Those were some times...
 
the game that truly hooked me? The orignal X-wing and the original Tie fighter, on my IBM 386 running dos 5.0. There were lots of other games I played before that, but those two truly hooked me as a gamer forever.
 
online, my was mudding
Other Games, have to be some for Sega and older :p
anyone that does not know
A Mud is something like WOW but all texted base
 
Pool of Radiance is the one that hooked me on computer games in general. On my uncle's IBM PS2, took a few hours to install over 10 or so floppy disks (not enough hard drive space) and took about 10minutes to load the game.
 
Jiko said:
Legend of the Red Dragon? Gah, now I feel way older than I am. that game was fun, watching my brother play and get beaten with an ugly stuck

That's the game that started it for me as well - The Legend of the Red Dragon! That game was addictive as hell, used to play it on a Zenith 286 with a 20 meg HDD and a 2400 baud modem! I spent many a night on about 10 different BBS's getting drunk while playing that game!
 
I forget the exact name of it but one of the first computer games I ever played was called something like Global thermonuclear war. It was mostly all orange text on a blackground with a few maps. Basically you picked to play either the US or the USSR and then you took turns launching ICBMs at the other countries major cities and tried to kill them all before they got you.

*Your ICBM prematurely detonates over Mexico City, killing 5 million Mexicans*

First online game I got hooked on was Gemstone III back in 1994, oldschool text mud from Simutronics.
 
Genocidal[v2] said:
I forget the exact name of it but one of the first computer games I ever played was called something like Global thermonuclear war. It was mostly all orange text on a blackground with a few maps. Basically you picked to play either the US or the USSR and then you took turns launching ICBMs at the other countries major cities and tried to kill them all before they got you.

In Soviet Russia Zee ICBMs launch you!
 
I started getting into pc gaming heavily after starcraft, but didnt get into pc upgrading untill counter-strike.
 
original doom and wolfenstein on some dos pc that the specs r unknown great games before i before i turned serious about graphics
 
Bobby said:
DOS

Lots of fun typing in commands.

i wish i still had that pc
my bro left it on overnight on accident and it never woke up again. i remember thr green list of programs er something the u wuld type dos/ er something to take u to some place with another list of programs. arg slightly a blurr
 
NitrouseXpress60 said:
i wish i still had that pc
my bro left it on overnight on accident and it never woke up again. i remember thr green list of programs er something the u wuld type dos/ er something to take u to some place with another list of programs. arg slightly a blurr
That didn't make a lick of sense. If he left it on, wouldn't it still be on in the morning? And if we are talking about MS DOS, you can always reflect on the good ol' days by typing in CMD at the Run prompt.
 
online gaming? would have to be delta force 1 (then the series) - used to spend a minimum of 4-6 hours a night on it, especially when there were tournaments...

good times
 
Wow. This is going back to the 90s!

Warcraft II, the deal with modems calling each other. My first online "rush."
-or-
It may have been Air Warrior, the very first version. Those old online dogfights were absolutely great! I would play this forever, and go through withdrawal when not playing it, and dream of it in my sleep... it was that kind of game.


Then later on came Myth:TFL, Myth II, Subspace...
God I know I'm forgetting something too, oh well.
--------
Btw... that Playmyth.net game site, it's still up and running and everything without bnet?
I could find my old CDs, and play like the olden days? Is that so...
 
Game that started it all for me: Space Invaders/Maze/Olympic Games/War Games on an activision console my dad bought before I was born (it must be about 29-30 years+ old by now).
edit: just read the online bit - Unreal Tourniment started my online gaming (well, only really played that and Guild Wars online so...)
 
I had 2 games that started it for me. Diablo and Quake. Then when I played CS I was in it for the long run. Good times.
 
I suppose playing online, my first game woulda been Quake. My friend bought it for me for my graduation from College, and we did the modem thing. It took a long time for me to get a good internet connection, but after I got done with school I got a whopping 48.8 Baud modem and an Earthlink account for a bit which started the online endeavors :)
 
Back
Top