The game that started it all!

Probably the original Command and Conquer way back in 1995. I got into online gaming when Quake 3 came out.

the game that got me absolutly hooked on computers was aliens vs predator 2.

Impossible Mission 1 on the Commodore 64.

I played quite a few games before that, but it was IM that grabbed me by the throat. More than a decade later, my (updated!) computer and it's games still has me caught in it's snare.

"Anozza visitoor... Stay awhile... staaaay foreeeevahhhhh!"

Quake 3 Arena with my roommates on our LAN in college sophomore year.

I was a pretty much a complete computer noob at the time. (What's a video card for? What are drivers?) lol seriously.....

Had to learn to play games with a keyboard/mouse. That took some getting used to! I was always a console gamer, but they got me hooked.

Shareware games got me hooked.
Probably the original Duke Nukem or Commander Keen.
First game I played the hell out of was rebel assault

DOOM, Thats the game that got me hooked. Then came MYST. I still play both of them. I own all the updates for both; I have MYST V running on my game box right now.

Wow, talk about flashback!
For RPGs
Wizardry 1
Ultima 1
Autoduel
Starflight (Awesome!)
SSI Star Command
Wasteland
(greatest game ever) lol.

Flight Sims
Microprose Gunship
F-15 Strike Eagle

Sports
EA Bird vs Magic one on one
Celtics vs Lakers
(1986 i think)

I remember the built in speaker was used for those games, lol.

I think i was running these games in a monochrome monitor...then EGA...then VGA

Games altogether: arcade Space Invaders when my family was forced to bunk in the meeting room of a Howard Johnson's during a 12 hour whiteout. This was in 1981 or 82 and I remember spending hours that night playing Space Invaders in the restaurant with the older kids.

Games as life obsession: Bionic Commando, which someone lent me in 1989 in the middle of the seventh grade. I finished the entire game in one day without hints or assistance. One of the most satisfying and best days of my youth.

PC Games: Alone in The Dark 2. This was the game that made it clear to me that PCs would always be ahead of consoles in terms of graphics, sound, and complexity. I gave up on Super Nintendo and got into PCs. Doom was right around the same time, but if memory serves me I played this one first.

Dune 2.

I probably played that game all the way through ten times per side.

I'll never forget having to upgrade from 4 megs of ram to 8 so I could play Doom later on in that computer's lifetime.

Geez, I'm really digging into the old trenches of my memory here, but for me it was a combination of games on my old C128 (owned one from 1985-89).

Transformers (the side scroller)
Space Taxi
Ultima series (up to IV, then I continued the series on our 8 MHz XT w/640K)
Paperboy
Temple of Apshai trilogy
Heart of Africa
Infiltrator
Super Huey
Karateka
Last Ninja series
Just about every Infocom game made (Wishbringer was my favorite at the time)
Paradroid
Autoduel
Super Cycle (Epyx games and joysticks ruled. Theme song.)
Suicide Express
Skate or Die
H.E.R.O.
Winter Games
Summer Games
World Games
Mail Order Monsters
Lords of Conquest
Impossible Mission
Marble Madness
Pirates
Sierra Boxing

If I had to narrow it down to just one game, that one game that really got me in to computer gaming, I'd have to give top honors to Heart of Africa for it's depth and immersion. After that it would be Autoduel, Temple trilogy, and Pirates.

LOAD "*",8,1
:cool:

PC: Doom on my old 8086. It could barley play it. Then came Half-Life and its mods(TFC). That took many hours of my life away.

NES: Super Mario, Super Mario 3 -These are what really started me.
SNES: Super Mario World, Legends of Zelda Link to the past

I already posted above the game that started it. but I have a game that may end it all as well...my marriage that is, WoW. My wife hates this game almost as much as all previous combined. And belive me, she really hated diablo ii and half-life.

Dude,
Don't throw away your marraige for a computer game!
My wife hated when I played UT online so much.
I needed to back off and take stock of what was really important!

....sorry to interrupt this thread, just a friendly message from your friendly neighborhood spider man!

Pac Man is what probably started it for me.
for pc games, I played the original wing commander on a friends pc and fell instantly in love. took my 4 years after that to finally get my own pc.

The first game that got me hooked into pc gaming was
Dungeons and Dragons - Eye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon.
That was one fun rpg even though it was 2D with scrolling combat text.

TFC definitely got me into online FPS gaming (can't wait for TF2). I played EQ for about 4 years which was alot of fun until PoP came out. PoP made EQ feel even more like a job.

Dude,
Don't throw away your marraige for a computer game!
My wife hated when I played UT online so much.
I needed to back off and take stock of what was really important!

....sorry to interrupt this thread, just a friendly message from your friendly neighborhood spider man!

I'm just kidding, she gets annoyed but not enough to wreck the gravy-train =P She games as well, but less.

Thanks Spidey!

First games that really hooked me were probably Adventure or Pitfall on the Atari. I still have fond memories of those when I was little. I also had a Commodore 64, where I played Archon, Hardball and Mail Order Monsters a lot. Loved those games.

For the PC, the first game I actually played was Battle Chess. But the first game that really hooked me was probably Might and Magic III... I could play that thing all day.

I also had a Commodore 64, where I played Archon, Hardball and Mail Order Monsters a lot. Loved those games.
Archon!!! What an awesome game. I spent countless hours on my Atari 800 with Archon. My favorite battle was the Sorceress vs. Knight character (can't remember its name; it looked kinda like a rhino).

if we're talk just about pc gaming for me it was half-life. I would play quake and some other early id titles at friends houses and this pc arcade we had around the corner. But some how on my first pc i got the half-life demo and would play that one level over and over until i saved up enough cash to actually buy the game.

Original Zelda for NES :D :D
well really any of the NES games, i had about 100 before i sold them

Archon!!! What an awesome game. I spent countless hours on my Atari 800 with Archon. My favorite battle was the Sorceress vs. Knight character (can't remember its name; it looked kinda like a rhino).

Archon was definitely my favorite game at the time. I used to love the light side archers, I got to where I could take down most anything with 'em. And yeah, taking out the other guys' sorceress or wizard with one of your lonely knights or goblins is quite an awesome feeling. Some great times. :D

Janes:WWII Fighters got me hooked on combat flight sims
Janes:USAF was the best flight sim ever in my opinion.

RTCW: got me hooked on FPS
BF1942 got be hooked on the BF series.

SWG: got me hooked on MMO's

at the moment im waiting for the next game to get me really hooked. probly crysis or a killer game/mod made off that engine.

ET:QW looks MeH to me. but ill buy it to atleast try it.

I started on simple text based games (forget half the names now but remember the machine) that got me into what a computer could do. The games were not very memorable compared to what they showed the machine could do and where it could transport you, through games or internet.

My first machine ever was a Spectrum (http://www.retro-games.co.uk/sinclair/sinclair.htm) computer (the kind with a tape deck and a tv hookup for your monitor). I am amazed at what I am using now from what I had availiable 12yrs ago as a 13yr old kid.

With my first actual pc (tower and not a tv setup like my spectrum) I used to play games like Myst and so on (India sucked for games and prices) but enjoyed Chuck Yeagers flight sim the best.

I started on simple text based games (forget half the names now but remember the machine) that got me into what a computer could do. The games were not very memorable compared to what they showed the machine could do and where it could transport you, through games or internet.

Are you referring to those great text only games from Infocom? I absolutely loved Infidel, the Zork series, Starcross, Sorcerer...

My first gaming experience was at the age of 3, sitting on my fathers knee watching him play uninvited for the Apple II. I remember this because the game scared me silly and I slept in my parents bed for a week afterwards. The image of a woman dressed in victorian clothing turning around with a skull for a face is permanently ingraining in my memory.

I didn't actually get into gaming though until I got my Super Nintendo. I must have been around 8-9 at the time and Super Mario World was where it was at.

My first games were the educational things on a Pentium Pro Gateway and then Sim City 3000.

Back