The game that started it all!

the first online game i definilty played too much was the original diablo and then starcraft

once i got to college it was cs/dod and eventually ns. damn those were the good old days of beta cs pwnage
 
Kings Quest 1 & Police Quest 1 (when they were "new")

Console games like Burgertime were also a favorite.

Arcade my favorite was gauntlet.
 
Quake 1 and expansion packs a few months later,...man those days :D
fuck yeah!! =P the dos multiple disc span command 4 floppies was being used left right n center bringing mods home from school. gr8 shit
 
For online, it was Descent and then Descent 2.....and then Descent 3. Also played a ton of Unreal Tournament with the Tactical Ops mod.
For offline, before going online, it was the Kings Quest series. I've played and finished every one of them...w00t! :D
 
Uh, not really sure. I would have to say, The Sims. That or diablo. Although I never really played Diablo I just watched when I was like seven. I was like OMFG BUTCHER!!!! Then my cousin just used slaughtered him... It was a lot more immense than now when I play lol...

Games that really took it to another level though... Diablo 2(so many hours wasted), Tiberium Sun, Firestorm, RA2 to a extent(didn't work on my computer really), Jedi Knights Dark Forces II(FAVORITE GAME EVER!!!!!), Age of Empires 2, Starcraft, and more... But I was a hardcore gamer overall as a kid and still now. But I was more dedicated to consoles back then... Frikkin' Rush!!!!

Yeah. I'm young, sixteen yay..
 
I think, Forgotten Realms: Pool of Radiance (C64) was the first game to really get me involved and fascinated with gaming.
 
Halo. (Yes I'm not that old)

My friend wanted me to try it, and I wouldn't so, eventually, I did, and I never let go of that controller.
 
Wow, this thread is still going... Went through boot camp and then some and it's still going... Maybe it'll last an iraq deployment :)

Definately quake 2 action mod. Damn id software, I lost a lot of my life to gaming because of you!
 
Both Command & Conquer Tiberian Dawn and Red Alert.

I had played PC and console games before them prior to 1997 but nothing really held my interest aside from maybe Sim City 2000.
 
The first game that I played online incessantly was QuakeWorld TF. I was a top-notch Engineer (it did help that I was an LPB on a college network at the time).

I even competed in a clan, and was invited to join "e". Those were good times :D
 
Myst and SimFarm on my Apple Quadra 610

edit: first online were a mix of three...Soldier of Fortune, StarCraft, and Ultima Online. All 3 were on my 300mhz p3 boxen, which was the first pc my family had on the internet.
 
Well doom 95 was the first pc game I ever played, I was 8 at the time, playing the most violent game of its day, damn it kicked ass. I started playing quake 2 in multiplayer when I was 10, it was all over... I was hooked. The action quake 2 mod kicked ass btw.
 
First video game I played was the old "Computer Space" arcade game back in 1972. It was in the front doors of a Target in Oklahoma City. I think it had been changed to take dimes instead of quarters because no one was using it. No one understood what it was! So it just sat there in attract mode.

The button layout was bad and I was really short but I was still fascinated by that sparkly little screen, and the noises.

And here I am over thirty years later, still playing games. :D
 
Online was counter strike (beta 6 or so) during the first semester of my junior year of college. I remember pulling an all nighter for my chem final that december and playing CS at 5 in the morning to find other kids in my class who had stayed up to do the same thing. Good times.

Console wise I am truly a part of the nintendo generation as I was in 1st grade when the first nintendo's hit the US. I had one the first Christmas they were out and no one in my class even knew what it was, by the next Christmas, everyone and their grandparents had a nintendo and I was the only one that didn't have duck hunt or the gun.
 
I've been playing games since home pc's first came about but Quake 2 was the first game that completely hooked me
 
Air and Sea Battle on the Atari 2600 for consoles.

But for PC which I've always played more of, it had to be anything Apogee in the early 90s, back in the Duke Nukem II and Wolfenstein days. I remember looking at the screenshots of Rise of the Triad and Doom, thinking I'll never be able to get a system to play stuff like that.
 
The first ever video game I remembrer playing was Stargate for an old Atari. Side scroll ship shooting a bunch of lines and triangles. Every so often, i'd fly into a bracket [ ] and the screen would flash and then I would have different colored lines and triangles. I lost many hours of my life back then as a kid. Many years later, I still lose many hours of life to Stargate, the movie, the tv series, the spinoff...

The next video game I remember would be playing 1940 on a bootlegged 400 in 1 NES game on a friends NES. In 2nd grade I stayed after at a friends house after school to play Super Mario and got grounded for a month. In 3rd grade, I discovered Lemmings on my cute next door neighbors Apple something. I blame her and her cute sister for my discovery of computer games... and distracting me from girls...

I suppose my first Serious game would be X-Com on a friends 386. He picked it up at the bargain bin at Computer City. I made a copy of the 3 floppies and played it on my 486. Months later, I discovered the CD version at a EB Games? Babbages? and bought my first computer game. I made a dozen copies to Zip drives and scoured AOL for everything X-Com related. Soon, I had save game editors, wallpapers, strategy guides, and even fan fiction. I bought my first ever Official strategy guide in book form for X-Com. I learned to use Wordperfect 5.1 so I could convert those Fan fiction stories into a printable format to read. I paid for my first ever game utility by unlocking some shareware game editor for X-Com. It was the first game I installed on my parents brand new NEC 100Mhz computer.
It was my brothers first computer game when he inherited my old 486 and had the patience to play X-Com on it. We got a game boy around this time and got hooked on Tetris. yeah... Tetris on the road, X-Com at home...
It started me down the computer gaming path that lead to Battle Bugs, Warcraft 2, Wolf 3D, Rebel Assault 2, LOTR2 and Total Annihilation in that order. I ordered my first copy of PC Gamer and Computer Gaming Magazine and discovered shareware and demos through those magazines. I remember I discovered game conversions/mods w/TA and downloaded new maps for it.

A friend burned me a copy of Warcraft 2 on his brand new 4x cd burner and I paid him 5$ for it. Sometime that school year, I got my first virus and accidentally brought it to school and ruined a lab computer. The next week, the guy came to fix it, and had to install a 4x cd burner to reinstall windows 95 cuz the floppy didnt work, had to upgrade the hard drive, cuz it was too small, and had to upgrade memory to install win95. My teacher thanked me for breaking it and making it the faster computer in the room.

I copied the shareware version of Wolf3D to floppies and played it during typing class. I saw someone else playing a BASIC game w/gorillas throwing bananas and learned the basics of... BASIC... heh... I discovered how to play music and pirated my first song around this time.
Later I discovered someone elses copy of Quake on the lab computers and it spread throughout the classroom. We would all fake type/program, and play Quake inbetween.
We couldnt play Quake 2 cuz we had no video cards, but it was Quake whenever we had subs or finished programs early or were allowed to stay through lunch. Quake was probably the first networked game I ever played.
I discovered Half Life at a used game shop and bought it for 20$. I used to play against my brother over a null modem parallel cable. it was my pentium 100 vs his 486 something. We have many fond memories me killing him and setting traps for him...
Then I persuaded my dad to buy a new computer for a high school project and I discovered Counterstrike 6.something. That would be my first online game. Although I do remember experiementing with Total Annihilation and NetZero... and CS and NetZero... and Age of Empires and AOL... We finally got cable when Dad was trying to submit his taxes a day before the due date, and AOL kept cutting out. Once we had cable, it was CS 23/7. The last hour was for chking CS stats. :-P I would play and my bro would watch, he would play and i would nap, then swap...

These days, I game more on my DS lite, my xbox, and mame on my pc/xbox. Im working on building a MAME cabinet... My bro still plays oldie games like SMAC, Civ, Settlers, MAX, and all the rpgs since then. I'm pondering starting down the online gaming path again... I miss my old CS days and the simplicity of it... and the typing while u were dead and waiting... and being the extremely unlucky last person vs the whole other team runs... and never sleeping at home... sigh...
 
Kings Quest on an apple IIC (what memories) and doom on my first PC (I believe a 386/25, couldn’t afford the 33 version). :)
 
I liked Star Wars when I was a kid, so I played those OLD and actually rather boring Rebel Assault games, but when Dark Forces came out, man.... that's all I did. After the game I downloaded like every level and mod I could for it, tried to make my own levels but couldn't because I had no idea how to and it wasn't until near the end of my modding experience did I notice that you could enable a grid and actually just snap things into place instead of zooming in as much as you could and trying to line up two points together so you didn't walk through a wall or stairs in the level :p

WDFUSE.... that was the program. Bet it's impossible to download now. Actually a couple months ago I decided to load up Dark Forces and play a couple of add-on missions. People had a lot of talent back then. Still do though, haha.

Then Jedi Knight came out and that took a couple more years of my life. Stupid Star Wars.....

Then there was Starcraft, Age of Empires 2, Half-Life.... but it started with Dark Forces.

Edit: Now that I remember I think even before Dark Forces, or around the same time, Wing Commander was an amazing game too... Privateer was ground-breaking I thought. Go where you want, do what you want? wow!!!
 
Toss up, but I would probably have to say Wolfenstein 3D. What crack that was.

Duke Nukum (The original side scroller), Commander Keen, and Blake Stone all had their part as well, as well as most of Apogee's, Epic's, and Id's lineup.
 
I've been playing video games since atari but the first game that really got me going playing multiplayer online was Diablo One. It was hack crazy but after I got the cheats out of my blood I moved into all legit. After that got boring it was the abysmal mod for diablo one that could also be played on b.net. You couldn't really cheat in abysmal too because when you tried to import items they would be the regular diablo items but once dropped on the ground or logged out they transfered over to the abysmal items and were basically shitty.
Great times with that game.
 
Adventure and Zork on a Data General MV8000 (1980 :p ) started me but it was Master of Magic on the PC that really snagged me.

Cossacks "The Art of War" is the best game I ever played that was underappreciated.

edit: holy snot, the guy that posted before me said DG too, LOL! I was so proud of my 4gb disk farm!
 
Doom and Wolf on my IBM 486; Rogue Spear and Klingon Honor Guard on my PII-350.
KHG was fantastic - wish they'd do a sequel with today's capabilities.
 
Half Life (and, more specifically, Counter Strike) was really the first PC game I got into. A pawned NES with Donkey Kong started me in on gaming in general. I feel young 8)
 
command and conquer red alert
warcraft 1
duke nuken 3d
blood
redneck rampage


ohh the good ol days.. lawl this is 8-10 yrs ago might i add.
 
There were three games. One got me started, one got me a little farther in, and one that got me hooked.

There were:

F-15 Strike Eagle II
X-Wing Collectors Edition
And Ultima Online!
 
Hmm when I was still a kid, it was SNAKES @ DOS. And that other Dos game wherein a monkey is throwing bananas ad you have to adjust it's angle to hit your opponent.
 
Super Mario for the NES. I think my mom once told me i spent 8 consecutive hours on that game one sunday. I didnt think it was that bad but I have a distinct memory trying to get to the last level without dying once and all the health secrets. heh.

First online game I played was Descent 3, with a friend over modem, I'd call him and we'd have to pause everytime my mom wanted to make a phone call, hah. Addiction would have to count at Counterstrike, the original, I think I started to play around version 1.1, still play it today, altho the CS:S version.
 
GemStone3. It was a MUDD that I use to play for free on AOL. Dial'd up on great 9600 baud modem and would play away.

My dad never let me play though. So I use to wake up at 5 am, sneak on the computer, then go back to bed at 7 am, to wake up at 7:30 for school, haha.

Then as I got a bit older, I was always doing "homework." My dad never understood why my homework took me so many hours a day to do (and required me to be online).

For a while, I was also a Warcraft 2 addict, heh
 
Back
Top