The Evil Within

I'll be picking this up along with Alien Isolation to celebrate Halloween. I haven't played a AAA horror game in a while.

sorry but even those 'high-res' screenshots look flat to me...I guess my definition of great graphics is different...I'm sure a lot of that is the art style, lighting etc they chose for the game...the intent is not for it to look like Crysis 3...almost has a grainy, washed out look to it like the Walking Dead TV show...the game doesn't look terrible but once again another game comes out with insane GPU requirements which doesn't look the part (Dead Rising 3, Mordor, Watch Dogs--although at least Watch Dogs does use 3GB+ VRAM and offer improved texture quality at Ultra settings)...I agree that the gore looks amazing and it might be one of the goriest games to ever hit PC

Alien Isolation is the 'horror' game I'm most interested in this year...will keep an eye on Evil Within and see what people are saying when the game is released

It's hard to judge games with a single picture. They usually look alot better in motion. Even Crysis 2/3 and The Witcher 2/3 look awful with single pictures. But in motion they look amazing.

I think high vram requirements are here to stay, I'm willing to bet that GTA 5 and Witcher 3 will also have high recommended vram requirements.

In the case of The Evil Within it probably has to do with Idtech 5 being vram hungry. Tango studios apparently heavily modified Idtech5 to include dynamic lighting and other goodies.

ToMjGpFTCsASbKISnU4.gif

Anyone else feeling vibes of the first SAW movie (2004)? There were various traps and contraptions I saw in the gameplay stream which you seemed to have to figure out how to defuse or disarm, one in particular exploded what looked like blood and guts in the player's face when he failed, and he was dead. The disarming traps thing isn't a core gameplay mechanic ofcourse - as the bulk of the experience centers around exploring/scrounging/surviving - but was nevertheless an interesting aspect that added to the fun and dread factor. I'd post a screenshot but don't want to give it away.

Last edited:
Been looking forward to this one!

Putting together my first desktop. Hopefully I can make it future proof for games with high VRAM specs like this, Shadows of Mordor and upcoming id Tech titles.

Been looking forward to this one!

Putting together my first desktop. Hopefully I can make it future proof for games with high VRAM specs like this, Shadows of Mordor and upcoming id Tech titles.

Honestly I think all the VRAM uproar lately over this game and Shadow of Mordor is much ado about nothing if not just marketing arrangements with the GPU manufacturers. 3GB will run all these games fine, just a hunch. Even if it ends up actually requiring bumping down a texture setting I cant imagine anyone will be able to tell much difference. And it probably says more about idtech5's architectural inefficiencies more than anything else.

Sounds like the game was optimized for PS4 and XOne which have 8GB of unified memory and the developers just didn't care about doing anything on the PC version. Sorry, but unless the requirements are for 4K resolution that's just being lazy.

Or the id Tech 5 engine is doomed without Carmack :D

Honestly I think all the VRAM uproar lately over this game and Shadow of Mordor is much ado about nothing if not just marketing arrangements with the GPU manufacturers. 3GB will run all these games fine, just a hunch. Even if it ends up actually requiring bumping down a texture setting I cant imagine anyone will be able to tell much difference. And it probably says more about idtech5's architectural inefficiencies more than anything else.

So far I really enjoyed the two id Tech games I played on my laptop, RAGE and Wolfenstein: New Order. Building my first desktop now and I'd to make sure I'll be able to max out DOOM4 and future id Tech games. I'm guessing Witcher 3 will also require high VRAM.

Well if the machine that the game is designed for has 8GB of VRAM, then you'd think that the video card manufacturers would design their video cards around this standard. It's not like this standard suddenly appeared out of thin air.

I think that's good common sense, but I could be completely wrong of course.
:)

Argh!! new answer on Steam Forums:

4GB WAS A MISTAKE LOST IN TRANSLATION, IT WAS REFERRING TO TOTAL SHARED MEMORY (VRAM+ SYSTEM RAM)...

This was lost in translation inside Bethesda, and the PR Guy sent the mistranslation every where.

This is par for the course with Japanese team, no offense meant, just well, again, english can be really hard for them just like working on PC's in general.

I will just put up a link to the steam mail answer:
http://i.imgur.com/CyHfSOv.jpg?1

cool, now bring up the glorious gore! throw it in our faces, with a bucket!

BS, since when do they write VRAM+ SYSTEM RAM in the requirements? lol.... they just dont wanna admit it and still no minimum specs.

Anyone with a PC preorder for this game should cancel and wait until reviews are out, before deciding to put any money down. This could end up being an almost entirely untested PC port, in terms of hardware variance. Seems to me that their refusal to state minimum requirements, coupled with their insistence on using frankly top-tier spec recommended requirements means they're essentially covering all their bases for the inevitable backlash post release.

They don't deserve your support. Don't blindly give it to them.

Last edited:
those gifs sold me, i preordered with a gmg discount. I need my fall horror fix

Might want to look elsewhere then, because not a single second of that was horrifying in the least. Talk about same old lame, unimaginative crap.

Might want to look elsewhere then, because not a single second of that was horrifying in the least. Talk about same old lame, unimaginative crap.

You can't tell how scary a game will be from clips lasting a few seconds. The game has to set a mood using the environment, music and pacing which can't be established unless you're playing the game.

Gifs are just gifs. How about play it alone in the dark with headphones on and let's see if you don't come away from the experience in need of counseling, a hug from mother and a subconscious that hates you for putting it through the experience.

In the gameplay I watched, it was unnerving the way it sometimes felt like you were being followed, and the ways things would just slowly creep up on you - but in unexpected ways rather than played out gimmicks we've come to expect from horror movies,

Last edited:
For the uninformed, this game is from Shinji Mikami (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shinji_Mikami), creator of Resident Evil series and guy who revolutionized 3rd person action games with Resident Evil 4 and its over-the-shoulder viewpoint.

Whether or not The Evil Within is scary we'll find out upon release, but Mikami knows his stuff so I expect it'll at least be fun!

I would hardly call RE4 "revolutionary."

There were PLENTY of good over-the-shoulder action games prior to it, it was merely lauded for bringing something "new" to the RE series.

As far as gameplay goes, I thought it was horrible, on pc at least, you couldn't MOVE and shoot, w/s/a/d controlled your aim (no mouse aim), it was extremely terrible as far as controls go on pc.

Also while many loved RE4 to me it was no longer a survival horror game, it was an action game with a horror element.

I loved RE1/RE2, after that the series just lost my interest and I went with Silent Hill 1/2 as far as a better survival horror game.

It just seemed like after RE4 they got into the old tropes of "one up'ing" themselves like many shows/movies do where they think they have to keep doing things bigger.

There were PLENTY of good over-the-shoulder action games prior to it

Like what?

No, really, I'm curious to know, since it's well-known for pretty much introducing it properly to the genre. I'm aware it didn't invent it, but I can't think of any good games released prior to RE4 with the over-the-shoulder perspective utilized in that fashion for the entire game... otherwise it wouldn't have been so famous for that achievement.

Like what?

No, really, I'm curious to know, since it's well-known for pretty much introducing it properly to the genre. I'm aware it didn't invent it, but I can't think of any good games released prior to RE4 with the over-the-shoulder perspective utilized in that fashion for the entire game... otherwise it wouldn't have been so famous for that achievement.

My bad, I looked it up and it came out a year before Gears of War.

So you are correct.

Still, I don't think it did it that "well" in terms of mechanics, not allowing you to move and not allowing mouse aiming, it just felt very very archaic and strange when I played it, especially compared to Gears of War or Rainbox Six: Vegas.

Still, I don't think it did it that "well" in terms of mechanics, not allowing you to move and not allowing mouse aiming, it just felt very very archaic and strange when I played it, especially compared to Gears of War or Rainbox Six: Vegas.

The not moving while shooting was used to build tension because of its horror roots, while gears of war is a pure action shooter. Shinji Mikami has stated in interviews that he's regretted how survival horror has become almost all action since RE4. He even said that there was too much action in RE4 and he wanted to go back to survival horror roots with extremely limited ammo and tough encounters.

Expect The Evil Within to incorporate a lot of the early Resident Evil and Silent Hill concepts while bringing in a more modern control scheme and sensibilities.

The not moving while shooting was used to build tension because of its horror roots, while gears of war is a pure action shooter. Shinji Mikami has stated in interviews that he's regretted how survival horror has become almost all action since RE4. He even said that there was too much action in RE4 and he wanted to go back to survival horror roots with extremely limited ammo and tough encounters.

Expect The Evil Within to incorporate a lot of the early Resident Evil and Silent Hill concepts while bringing in a more modern control scheme and sensibilities.

I get that but the tank controls were so terrible. Find another way to create tension that doesn't involve me derping around please,devs.

nnnnghhh stop!! it cannot be!! you building up too much!!! everything sucks these days!!!

Gifs are just gifs. How about play it alone in the dark with headphones on and let's see if you don't come away from the experience in need of counseling, a hug from mother and a subconscious that hates you for putting it through the experience.

In the gameplay I watched, it was unnerving the way it sometimes felt like you were being followed, and the ways things would just slowly creep up on you - but in unexpected ways rather than played out gimmicks we've come to expect from horror movies,

I take it I'm the only person in here who's extremely sick of barbed wire on EVERYTHING, cages or boxes on the heads of enemies (how is that even possible, let alone scary?), 10 gallons of blood around every body, chainsaws, 9 foot tall mutants, and monsters impossibly mutilated in every way imaginable (again, impossible, and moreover, not even remotely plausible, thus not scary).

That's not good horror, its camp and cheese. It's the equivalent of a slasher movie in video game format. That's what the modern horror video game has turned into.

Horror, to me at least, is fear of the unknown, fear of the unimaginable, fear of the that which you could never understand, or fear of the grotesqueness of mundanity. Devs really need to start paying more attention to movies like Eraserhead and less to the Saw franchise.

Like what?

Uh, are we talking about over the shoulder specifically, or third person in general?

Because Tomb Raider came out WAAAAAAAY before RE4 was ever even a possibility. That game is widely considered to be what popularized the third person action game genre.

Uh, are we talking about over the shoulder horror, or just action?

Because Tomb Raider came out WAAAAAAAY before RE4 was ever even a possibility. That game is widely considered to be what popularized the genre.

Tomb Raider wasn't over the shoulder, it was standard third person.

The more I think about it, this is the kind of game that could really be a good use of the old "detect this is a pirated copy and throw everything plus the kitchen sink at you as I dial it up to 11"....

Be funny/scary as hell in any case.

If the reviews around here are good, this will be a buy for me though. Been a long time since I last played any RE style game and I think I'm overdue.

Last edited:
why is this game in 3rd person for?...seems like it would be better served in 1st person

I take it I'm the only person in here who's extremely sick of barbed wire on EVERYTHING, cages or boxes on the heads of enemies (how is that even possible, let alone scary?), 10 gallons of blood around every body, chainsaws, 9 foot tall mutants, and monsters impossibly mutilated in every way imaginable (again, impossible, and moreover, not even remotely plausible, thus not scary).

That's not good horror, its camp and cheese. It's the equivalent of a slasher movie in video game format. That's what the modern horror video game has turned into.

Horror, to me at least, is fear of the unknown, fear of the unimaginable, fear of the that which you could never understand, or fear of the grotesqueness of mundanity. Devs really need to start paying more attention to movies like Eraserhead and less to the Saw franchise.

I'm with you on the horror games and movies in general. This is because it is much more challenging to develop a film or a game that is truly scary, disturbing or terrifying on that psychological level. So much easier to fill the screen with things that jump out and attack you, but are not really scary.

I don't think anyone finds games like L4D2, Dead Island or recent Resident Evil titles scary. These are pure action games. Games like Call of Cthulu: Dark Corners of the Earth and Amnesia were a lot more interesting for me. The Friday the 13th series and slasher films along those lines are not scary at all, you need to go back to The Shining and Rosemary's Baby to find that disturbing feeling of terror.

From the gameplay footage I've seen, at least it seems Evil Within is pushing that a bit more in the direction of psychological horror compared to recent action "horror" games that were not scary at all. I'm looking forward to it.

Back