The Essential Phone Is Now Available

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Following a number of delays, Andy Rubin’s Essential Phone is finally available to order at Sprint, Best Buy, and direct from the company: the unlocked model will run you $699, and you can get the 360-degree camera add-on for an additional $50 if you purchase the phone through Essential. In his latest blog post, Rubin explains why his handset is special, noting premium materials and long-lasting support (it’ll get two years of Android software updates and three years of security patches). I love the design, but I’m still not sure about that camera notch up top.

At Essential, we believe that phones are at their best when they serve you, not a company. Our phone comes standard with 128GB of storage, because it’s a small cost for us to absorb and unlike most players in the market, we’re not out to charge customers for incremental upgrades. We’ve made a 360º camera because we want to unleash the creativity of our customers. And we’ve built in future-proof technology because we want Essential Phone to evolve with our customers’ needs. This is the phone we always wanted, but we didn’t just make it for ourselves. We designed it around you.

While not perfect, I'm still somewhat interested in this phone. The smaller Pixel 2 doesn't seem like it's going to be much of an upgrade and the larger one seems too large to be practical. This is the next best thing for my needs.

I like the guaranteed time for software support. I have several Samsung Galaxy phones from AT&T at work. I was trying to get one with a more recent version of Android - none of them show any software updates. WTH? I wish Google would enforce stock Android - I know it goes against the concept of Android, but it's nice to be able to count on a standard operating system not messed with by carriers. Getting off the soap box now...

While not perfect, I'm still somewhat interested in this phone. The smaller Pixel 2 doesn't seem like it's going to be much of an upgrade and the larger one seems too large to be practical. This is the next best thing for my needs.
I think you're right. Itching to upgrade my 6P to something and not exactly captivated by Pixel or Pixel2.

I have one coming for review via Best Buy Tech Insider Network. I am more curious than anything about the phone. I really expect my next phone will be a Pixel XL 2, but maybe Andy Rubin will surprise me.

I like the guaranteed time for software support. I have several Samsung Galaxy phones from AT&T at work. I was trying to get one with a more recent version of Android - none of them show any software updates. WTH? I wish Google would enforce stock Android - I know it goes against the concept of Android, but it's nice to be able to count on a standard operating system not messed with by carriers. Getting off the soap box now...
2 year os and 3 security support is typical of Android phones. I don't see what long lasting of support is on this phone. Just some manufacturer take forever to release updates. For how big and popular Samsung phones are they have no excuse for their lack of support.

To me, I want something that's running stock Android, is sturdy, is a comfortable size, and has a good camera. This mostly fits the bill. The catch is that it isn't water/dust-resistant, the add-ons will likely never catch on, and we're still not sure what their definition of timely updates will actually be.

As always, if someone like Samsung or HTC would just release a vanilla Android device I wouldn't even need to look at this phone OR the Pixel.

Hate the notch. Don't like the one likely coming on the iPhone 8 as well. Just a half assed attempt to make a phone without a bezel without actually managing to do it right. It's as annoying in terms of ruining the look as the big screen in the Teslas.

Hate the notch. Don't like the one likely coming on the iPhone 8 as well. Just a half assed attempt to make a phone without a bezel without actually managing to do it right. It's as annoying in terms of ruining the look as the big screen in the Teslas.
The big screens in the Teslas look gorgeous.

Iike that another vendor is taking security patching seriously. This means that there will now be a viable alternative to Nexus/Pixel, which is great, especially now that Google is aping Apple and getting rid of the analogue audio out.

Switching to one - however - would require changing my carrier, as I have been on Fi for a while now.

Hmm, not heard anything about this but I'm tempted. Pretty good name to back the company lol

Hmm, not heard anything about this but I'm tempted. Pretty good name to back the company lol

Shouldn't essential mean an even lower buy in? The name grabs your attention, but the price is right up there with fad and chic. What is there to be gained unless I have to read the copy on it. What is the buy in? I wont have to spend $1200 on the new apple 8?

Dont get it :confused:

-------------------------> Edit.

Did a little more read up and see its designed to compete with apple and samsung. Considered highend. Titanium case.

Nevermind.

lol.

Last edited:
Is the O/S pure Android? I've been checking the links and can't seem to determine whether or not this has that pre-installed sillyness of Facebook and Instagram. Would be nice to finally upgrade the ol' Samsung Galaxy S3.

The name is awful. I see an Essential phone as a touch screen phone/text only for say $100

I thought it was a barebones device too, one with just the "essentials". Stupid ass name for a high end device.

I also dont get the naming and all of the interest in it. Gotta be because its coming from one of androids founders. Makes it seem like its as real as android can get. Maybe the name "essential" should get a pass because its coming from someone that looks at code all day. Still gotta be the first time something "Essential" will cost $750.

Not gonna step into the pharmaceutical jungle......

I meant the name Andy Rubin btw, not the brand

Thanks for that clarity. I really "did" think you thought the name for the phone was well thought out.
Sry for not processing "back the company" meaning a human and not its first flagship product. (y)

To be honest I would have been interested in this phone, but work just got me an S8, so I'll rock that for a while and maybe when these things pop up on the used market I might take a punt at it

Is the O/S pure Android? I've been checking the links and can't seem to determine whether or not this has that pre-installed sillyness of Facebook and Instagram. Would be nice to finally upgrade the ol' Samsung Galaxy S3.

Supposedly it is. No pre-installed stuff or at least nothing pre-installed that you can't full-on uninstall. There are reports that Amazon's endorsement could change that in the future. At least a few articles speculated that Amazon wants to bundle Echo/Alexa functionality in the future.

Well, the price is all but essential especially coming from an unknown company. Specs are quite good and device looks good but who knows whether they even will be around to support. If it was maybe under $400 I'd perhaps think about trying but its prices right there with premium handsets. Doesn't have a memory card slot so that's pretty much a no go for me.

No removable battery or sdcard? This phone was not designed around me.

Plus they're slinging some serious BS about that ti bezel.

The phones has 128GB of fast storage standard. You truly need more then that? Grab a fast USB-C drive. The removable battery thing I can get behind, but that is the price we pay for these uber thin phones. I have to say it is baffling for a unibody phone made of "premium" materials to not be dust/water resistant, if not water proof!

Is it me or does this thing not support Verizon's LTE bands? I was under the assumption that the Snapdragon family (from 810 on) support every LTE band? Maybe it does and I just can't read. Either way the lack of a 3.5mm jack means I wouldn't even consider it. I have too much invested in headphones, and trying to use an adapter is not my idea of fun. I will be on my Pixel XL until it dies I guess.

Anyone buying this phone better prepare to be a beta tester. The odds of this phone launching smoothly are slim to none.

The "wut about removable battery and SD slot" clingers crack me up. You're living in a bygone era.

The "wut about removable battery and SD slot" clingers crack me up. You're living in a bygone era.
Reminds me of back in the day when you dropped your phone, the phone, the back cover and the battery would all fly off in different directions! lol

Why? Those two things alone make phones actually about the users like this is advertised but isn't really. This is just another phone locking you in to an update cycle. Sure, YOU may like buying a new phone every two years or always leasing a phone but some people don't and that is not what they are advertising.

No removable battery is a dealbreaker for me as well.

Still on an S5 because I can remove the battery. Original battery gets really warm, almost hot to the touch now, and it just goes dead within a couple hours. Swapped it out for an Anker that doesn't do that. For less than 30 bucks I have a phone again that I like, and I can keep until this battery calls it quits.

Reminds me of back in the day when you dropped your phone, the phone, the back cover and the battery would all fly off in different directions! lol

LOL. Yes, having your screen shatter instead, because the battery and case ejecting no longer absorb the energy, is such a design improvement.

I've dropped my iPhone 6/7's quite a bit and I don't use cases. Most of the drops have been onto concrete - They haven't broke screens. I think this is largely due to the fact that the iPhone's are so much lighter weight.

Also i'll point out that pre-iPhone 7 it wasn't difficult changing the battery on iPhone's.

The whole movement of waterproofing phones has also killed the repair factor given that they are sealed with adhesive.

The addons are cool, everyone is trying that but it always fails because the addons have no value outside that one phone. What google needs to do because they are the only 1 big enough to do it, is come up with some standard physical interfaces for phones. Basically we are talking about ATX for phones. You can add these items on to a phone either by purchasing a phone with it built in, or a case that adds the functionality. Multiple USB 3 jacks would be nice. But mostly some sort of mounting system for the back of phones with data connectivity that can be adapted to very slim spaces. And something like VESA that has a standard hole spacing for mounting these devices. That way you get into any car and you can mount almost any phone in it. And likewise you can add on things like camera lenses, batteries, and tons of other items. There is a massive market waiting to explode once phone companies get this right. And it could help Google push against Microsoft.

Back