The Elder Scrolls Online

Long time WoW player since launch, really not happy with the direction Blizzard is half-assing the game last couple of expansions, and Shadowlands just sucks, it feels like a filler expansion, very generic and lame, unless your a [H]ardcore Raider or big M+ key player, otherwise WoW is dead.

So I am looking for something fresh and different, would this be what I'm looking for? Whatever that is LOL
It's pretty damn fun. I played it for quite awhile and may go back to it here (I'm playing FF14 at the moment). There is lots to do and it is all quite easy to access and just go do. The evenly leveled world does take some of the excitement out of leveling up and unlocking new things, but it is nice in that you just do whatever content you like, group with anyone you know, etc. Also alts are super easy because of the horizontal progression ant all gear being BTA. I don't do alts in MMOs normally, but in ESO I have 4.

My main complaints with it are that they in game real money store is bullshit being very expensive and requiring gambling for the best items, the fact that loading in to the game takes a long time even on a high end system, and that some things like crafting dailies can feel like an obligation (if you are a crafter).

Over all though it is a really fun MMO.

Picks up right where the first trailer left off. Gates of Oblivion is available today on PC.

This is actually the first DLC since Tamriel One launch that I've been playing through the launch. So many different breaks I've taken with this game, but my current playthrough has stayed permanent for a while now.

2 PC Monster sets will now be allowed to be used in PVP (Cyrodiil or Battlegrounds), so things are going to be effing nuts again. LOL

Last edited:
I've been running the one set that summons a Daedroth ... that one is crazy fun. But I usually run the earthquake one (Sellestrix?) as it seems to be better for tanks or DPS and the graphics don't get too crazy for the melee guys.

Can't wait to get home tonight to check out all the new stuff!

Last edited:
The Elder Scrolls Online: Blackwood- Official Gameplay Launch Trailer

Blackwood is now live on PC/Mac...

I forgot I bought this years ago so decided to boot it up and... does it ever get difficult?

So far I'm level 22, haven't spend a single level point since 10 (figured I'd save them until I hit a wall or figure out my build intuitively, not a fan of guides) and nothing even comes close to challenging me, even the 1+M hp bosses. I can't kill em easily, but they can't overcome my sustain either.

The open world was nerfed years ago, soon after launch, to be extremely easy even for new players :(. You'll find challenge in some of the vet dungeons, trials, and PvP.

I forgot I bought this years ago so decided to boot it up and... does it ever get difficult?

So far I'm level 22, haven't spend a single level point since 10 (figured I'd save them until I hit a wall or figure out my build intuitively, not a fan of guides) and nothing even comes close to challenging me, even the 1+M hp bosses. I can't kill em easily, but they can't overcome my sustain either.
The only challenge I ever had was soloing some of the dungeons meant for groups.

The open world was nerfed years ago, soon after launch, to be extremely easy even for new players :(. You'll find challenge in some of the vet dungeons, trials, and PvP.

Broken game much, I should at least need to spend my level up points to keep up.

Depends on your class / build. Some are just too tanky to die. My Templar for example.

Spam Puncturing Sweep (does Cone damage and self-heals) -> hit Radiant Aura when Magicka runs low.

Need to fight mobs that do chonky damage to work up a sweat but its slow going due to the lower DPS vs a dedicated DPS class. I don't use this toon too much - but useful for tanking big things like Dragons and bosses and the like.

ESO Plus is free for a week. The subscription gives you access to all the DLC, a crafting bag for your supplies, double the bank space, and more. You do not need to enter any payment information to take advantage of the trial, so there is nothing to cancel after the trial period is over. In my opinion the crafting bag alone is worth the price of the subscription.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/306130/announcements/detail/5464536257068699693

Never played ESO, been a WoW fan since launch, but unsubbed last month and done with WoW, for now.

Is this worth picking up?

Never played ESO, been a WoW fan since launch, but unsubbed last month and done with WoW, for now.

Is this worth picking up?
Plenty discussion in this thread about it, including recently. I like it because it is not a MMORPG in the traditional sense. The game is more like a live version of single player Elder Scrolls with real people running around. You can play through the game by yourself if you choose and still have a fun time. If you're interested in raids and other group activities those kinds of events are also present. Take advantage of the F2P period and try it out for yourself.

Yeah, so much content and at times as a beginner it's quite overwhelming. But that's what I love from a good MMO.

Solid amount of good add-ons, great guilds, pvp can be amazing, and now you can literally get any cosmetic store item for free just by working for it with the new currency they've added.

While I don't have 10s of thousands of hours in this game, I have about 4 or 5k invested since it's release, and I still pick it up for 3 months or so a year and knock things out or level alts.

Definitely worth to check out.

Just don't expect to know the ins and outs of it through your first 10 or 20 hours of playtime.

Lot of good guides and the forums are full of up to date tutorials to help with EVERYTHING.

You're probably well into your CP levels by now, but any update on this?

I would recommend going to imperial city(pvpve) when you can or maelstrom arena(veteran mode) if you're looking for a solo challenge.

Ok so I did purchase ESO with Blackwood off Steam on Friday night. First time ever playing this game.

I've been a WoW player since launch but with Shittylands expansion sucking and thier recent lawsuit, I quit the game for good, at least for now.

First night I was so so with it and playing in first person more like Skyrim felt off for an MMO. So I switched to third person typical RPG style but my character looked so clunky and moving in third person was nothing like WoW whatsoever, which is extremely smooth and fluid character movement.

I kept going back and forth with first person and third person view. I couldn't get comfortable with either in this game. But I've been playing the weekend and it's third person all the way for sure now.

Ok...combat and movement. Again radical departure from what I'm used too. The camera and mouse twisting moving feels so odd. I keep looking in the options to change the camera control to be like WoW where you see the mouse cursor always abd move it around your screen freely. ESO is just totally different and doesn't work that way. Not saying it's bad, just very different.

Combat. There's no tab targeting per say? No clicking spells with your mouse but have to tap your 1 through 5 keys. Combat feels wonky and strange and kind of slow in a way. So I see an enemy creature but I have to walk up to it then the attacks start sort of.

During battle if I get knocked back I'm used to controlling my character quickly by holding both mouse buttons down to move me back towards the enemy and continue attacking. But in ESO when I get kicked back further away I feel like I'm fumbling around to get back in the fight again. It's hard to explain, sorry if this doesn't make any sense.

Other things. I can't see my current level or XP bar normally in the game.

Where's the mini map?

When in a city and press the M key it just shows me they city but I can't zoom out to see the rest of the zone land. Kind of annoying.

So weapons or combat fighting doesn't seem to matter with what actual sword or axe you have? Seems it's all about your spell bar #1 and all your spells doing majority of the damage, not actually swinging your weapons for high dps?

It may sound like I'm dissing ESO. I'm not. I do like it. The graphics are great. And the world design is super cool. And it feels addictive so far. But I'm still confused on a lot of things, but figuring out the more I play.

It's just the big adjustment is character and camera control between WoW and ESO is radically different. And combat too. Both games go about movement and combat vastly different. The hardest change for me for sure is the camera and character control movement via mouse is extremely hard to get used too.

Last edited:
I haven't played in ages, but for the map question: If you right click it will zoom out to the bigger region. If you left click it zooms in to a closer look at the region. Your character is a little arrow in there.

I probably should try to get back into it. Are the console versions still completely separate or is there crossplay at all now?

Ok so I did purchase ESO with Blackwood off Steam on Friday night. First time ever playing this game.

I've been a WoW player since launch but with Shittylands expansion sucking and thier recent lawsuit, I quit the game for good, at least for now.

First night I was so so with it and playing in first person more like Skyrim felt off for an MMO. So I switched to third person typical RPG style but my character looked so clunky and moving in third person was nothing like WoW whatsoever, which is extremely smooth and fluid character movement.

I kept going back and forth with first person and third person view. I couldn't get comfortable with either in this game. But I've been playing the weekend and it's third person all the way for sure now.

Ok...combat and movement. Again radical departure from what I'm used too. The camera and mouse twisting moving feels so odd. I keep looking in the options to change the camera control to be like WoW where you see the mouse cursor always abd move it around your screen freely. ESO is just totally different and doesn't work that way. Not saying it's bad, just very different.

Combat. There's no tab targeting per say? No clicking spells with your mouse but have to tap your 1 through 5 keys. Combat feels wonky and strange and kind of slow in a way. So I see an enemy creature but I have to walk up to it then the attacks start sort of.

During battle if I get knocked back I'm used to controlling my character quickly by holding both mouse buttons down to move me back towards the enemy and continue attacking. But in ESO when I get kicked back further away I feel like I'm fumbling around to get back in the fight again. It's hard to explain, sorry if this doesn't make any sense.

Other things. I can't see my current level or XP bar normally in the game.

Where's the mini map?

When in a city and press the M key it just shows me they city but I can't zoom out to see the rest of the zone land. Kind of annoying.

So weapons or combat fighting doesn't seem to matter with what actual sword or axe you have? Seems it's all about your spell bar #1 and all your spells doing majority of the damage, not actually swinging your weapons for high dps?

It may sound like I'm dissing ESO. I'm not. I do like it. The graphics are great. And the world design is super cool. And it feels addictive so far. But I'm still confused on a lot of things, but figuring out the more I play.

It's just the big adjustment is character and camera control between WoW and ESO is radically different. And combat too. Both games go about movement and combat vastly different. The hardest change for me for sure is the camera and character control movement via mouse is extremely hard to get used too.
You're going in expecting it to play like WoW when it's nothing like WoW. It's still an Elder Scrolls game, just playing online with a bunch of other people. You have to approach it like any other Elder Scrolls game from a gameplay perspective.
I probably should try to get back into it. Are the console versions still completely separate or is there crossplay at all now?
The servers are still siloed, even between consoles.

Don't forget to be weaving light attacks in when not blocking. You also get access to weapon swap quickly for a second bar, and weapon skills as you pick up new weapons. Minimal can be done through an addon, check out www.esoui.com. :)

You're going in expecting it to play like WoW when it's nothing like WoW. It's still an Elder Scrolls game, just playing online with a bunch of other people. You have to approach it like any other Elder Scrolls game from a gameplay perspective.

The servers are still siloed, even between consoles.

So I need to think of this like playing Skyrim, but just in a world filled with real players? I played all the Elder Scrolls game in first person view, but for an MMO it's a bit strange feeling not playing in third person, and staying in first person, as I can't see who or what's behind me in combat.

Do you play in first or third person view?

So I need to think of this like playing Skyrim, but just in a world filled with real players? I played all the Elder Scrolls game in first person view, but for an MMO it's a bit strange feeling not playing in third person, and staying in first person, as I can't see who or what's behind me in combat.

Do you play in first or third person view?
I play in first person, but I have not dived into doing any raids yet where situational awareness becomes more important.

Default controls are a PITA for sure. I remapped the controls (most of my buddies do too). I still use 1-3 but 4 and 5 are mapped to the mouse and for big things. As is ultimate (T). So spammables and movement stay on the KB, while mouselook and buffs / ultimate are on mouse. Makes things much easier / better.

Also alot of negative stuff can be patched with addons: Crafting, map pins, mini-map, gear & inventory managment, are the big ones.

Makes QoL so much better and definitely a game changer for newbs and trannies from other games :-D

So I played through part of the tutorial and didn’t care for the controls on Xbox. Must been the all the time I played on PC years ago. Not the first game I’ve struggled to make the switch. I think I’d probably miss out on a few addons too.

I own no expansions or DLC on PC. Just the base imperial edition. Quit right before the first expansion came out and had been ESO+ so never felt the need to buy the DLC.

As I understand it I can either buy the $40 upgrade to get just Greymoor, or $60 for the full game and that would give me the other expansions to “own” along with the newest one. And that route I would get the 2 classes that were tied to old expansions. If I got the upgrade, ESO+ (Or crown purchases) would also unlock all the old stuff now that they are considered DLC but not the classes that would have to be purchased separately now. Does my understanding sound right?

I’d probably look to level one of the new classes just to get back into the swing of how the game works so I suppose it might be better to not be starting fresh on a console in the long run anyway as I was previously debating.

I checked on the purchasing options 2 or 3 years ago and it was a nightmare. Can't imagine what it's like now with 20 or 30 DLCs.
I think if you buy ESO+ you get everything? Who knows anymore. I doubt Bethesda or Zenimax even know.

This game is TOO big for its own good. It would take a year of constant playing to clear all the content. I doubt it's worth it either, the writing is good but the gameplay is repetitive.

So I played through part of the tutorial and didn’t care for the controls on Xbox. Must been the all the time I played on PC years ago. Not the first game I’ve struggled to make the switch. I think I’d probably miss out on a few addons too.

I own no expansions or DLC on PC. Just the base imperial edition. Quit right before the first expansion came out and had been ESO+ so never felt the need to buy the DLC.

As I understand it I can either buy the $40 upgrade to get just Greymoor, or $60 for the full game and that would give me the other expansions to “own” along with the newest one. And that route I would get the 2 classes that were tied to old expansions. If I got the upgrade, ESO+ (Or crown purchases) would also unlock all the old stuff now that they are considered DLC but not the classes that would have to be purchased separately now. Does my understanding sound right?

I’d probably look to level one of the new classes just to get back into the swing of how the game works so I suppose it might be better to not be starting fresh on a console in the long run anyway as I was previously debating.
The upgrade just adds the latest Chapter, yes. I'm not sure if you can just buy the whole game again if you already own it to get the chapters you missed at a reduced price. ESO+ is probably the best way to go if you still just have the base game. The bottomless crafting bag and extra bank space is worth the subscription price, in my opinion. Note that ESO+ never includes the latest Chapter; you have to purchase it separately if you want to play it until the next chapter comes out. So if you want to play the Blackwood content right now you would need to spend $40 on the upgrade.

The upgrade just adds the latest Chapter, yes. I'm not sure if you can just buy the whole game again if you already own it to get the chapters you missed at a reduced price. ESO+ is probably the best way to go if you still just have the base game. The bottomless crafting bag and extra bank space is worth the subscription price, in my opinion. Note that ESO+ never includes the latest Chapter; you have to purchase it separately if you want to play it until the next chapter comes out. So if you want to play the Blackwood content right now you would need to spend $40 on the upgrade.

Yeah I made a mistake so Blackwood not Greymoor is the latest Chapter. The way I was reading it before made it seem like Blackwood was a DLC to Greymoor. Are they still releasing paid (or ESO+ included) DLC between the Chapters, or has the move to the yearly Chapters stopped that?

I did some more digging and from the pre-order announcement from earlier this year it did say Collection would give all previous chapters for returning players. Based on that I found the retail version for $35.99 at Best Buy so slightly less than the digital upgrade price. Gamestop has it cheaper but not free shipping so it was going to wind up a wash and I'd rather support Best Buy than Gamestop. ESO+ is also free for a week starting today so that should give me time to settle in waiting for the box to arrive.

Yeah I made a mistake so Blackwood not Greymoor is the latest Chapter. The way I was reading it before made it seem like Blackwood was a DLC to Greymoor. Are they still releasing paid (or ESO+ included) DLC between the Chapters, or has the move to the yearly Chapters stopped that?

I did some more digging and from the pre-order announcement from earlier this year it did say Collection would give all previous chapters for returning players. Based on that I found the retail version for $35.99 at Best Buy so slightly less than the digital upgrade price. Gamestop has it cheaper but not free shipping so it was going to wind up a wash and I'd rather support Best Buy than Gamestop. ESO+ is also free for a week starting today so that should give me time to settle in waiting for the box to arrive.
They still release smaller DLC in between the larger Chapter releases. They are 1500 Crowns in the Crown Store, or $15 a piece. If I'm not mistaken ESO+ gives you access to all of that content, as well.

Back