The Elder Scrolls Online

I felt that the presentation yesterday was underwhelming. It was about 30 mins only. I was expecting they would had more to show. There will probably be a lot of interesting places to explore, and I was hoping they would show us some different locations, lol.

agreed...did not make me want to go buy the game at all...the eqnext demo did

agreed...did not make me want to go buy the game at all...the eqnext demo did

Had opposite reaction to EQNext demo. Looked like modified Planetside 2 maps with disney characters jumping around on them. "Huge maps" isn't a huge selling point if they're going to be mostly empty area relying on the "community" to help build it out.

Oh the other hand, while a "co-op Skyrim" is something I've really really felt was overdue and I'd lay any money for, I noticed the clunky jumping, movement & combat mechanics carried forward from Skyrim dont seem to have changed much in ESO. That really dates a game when moving around feels like what was typical of shooters in the late 90's, early 2000's. Sure, things have to be scaled back when its an MMO, but when you look at how a title like Witcher 3 is looking, Bethesda's engine is looking and feeling downright ancient. Beautiful screenshots but almost flat and dull when in motion. Amateurish stuff like the horse's legs moving visibly faster than the ground is, inexcusable for a new game in 2013/2014.

I love the Elder Scrolls brand and world, I'll play this game without a doubt but got help em if Witcher ever goes online.

Last edited:
New preview from CVG:

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...r-scrolls-online-preview-when-worlds-collide/

x2bl.jpg

81db.jpg

Can't wait to test Cyrodiil :D. Hopefully those shots demonstrate (from that linked article) that the graphics in the crappy upscaled compressed first-person livestream are not indicative of the actual game ;).

6ckb.jpg

Played UO as a "red" for years and looooved it. Miss those days badly. I played a little daoc but never really got into it.

Played UO as a "red" for years and looooved it. Miss those days badly. I played a little daoc but never really got into it.

I loved DAOC, never got to play UO in its prime so I didn't end up ever trying it... hoping for a good DAOC RVR-type experience with Cyrodiil AVA.

Those pics look really good above, I especially like the last one with the flowers in it. Can't wait to get into this game. The first person mode sold me on it. :p

I loved DAOC, never got to play UO in its prime so I didn't end up ever trying it... hoping for a good DAOC RVR-type experience with Cyrodiil AVA.

If TES:O doesn't provide it you have the Camelot Unchained mmo to look forward to (From Mark Jacobs, who made DAOC).

Though it'll be a couple years.

Those pics look really good above, I especially like the last one with the flowers in it. Can't wait to get into this game. The first person mode sold me on it. :p

Elder Scrolls games never really had a problem taking a pretty screenshot. But like fashion models, what seems stunning in a still photograph can often look flat and dull in motion.

The outdated motion, movement and combat I see with the players and NPC's have me a little worried.

If TES:O doesn't provide it you have the Camelot Unchained mmo to look forward to (From Mark Jacobs, who made DAOC).

Though it'll be a couple years.

Yep... I kickstarted Camelot Unchained for $110 ultimately for myself, plus a second backing of $25 for a second copy. I'm hoping Cyrodiil delivers the quality of the rest of the game, if it does I should end up being quite happy :D.

The outdated motion, movement and combat I see with the players and NPC's have me a little worried.

I actually like the animations in the err, broadcasted video. Clean so you can tell what's going on and recognize abilities. Frankly I'm not someone who cares so long as the animation is decent, it's the overall graphics quality (of which animation is just one aspect) and most importantly by far the gameplay, that matters to me. That said, it's better than some of the ones I've seen and looks nice in motion.

Frankly I never got the complaints regarding animations in any MMO I've played, except the ones where they're so overdone and fantastical that you can't tell who's even using what ability... simple = good for PVP/RVR.

I'm not sure how you gleaned much of the actual combat info from a horribly low-res & compressed video showcasing a low-level dungeon run staged to appease the single-player Elder Scrolls fans by running in first-person and fighting using only a couple of abilities for show out of a much larger number you have available at any one time.

I was thinking this.
The first person mode sold me on it. :p
Then i read this.
I'm not sure how you gleaned much of the actual combat info from a horribly low-res & compressed video showcasing a low-level dungeon run staged to appease the single-player Elder Scrolls fans by running in first-person and fighting using only a couple of abilities for show out of a much larger number you have available at any one time.

Honestly, i just want co-op elder scrolls.

Elder Scrolls games never really had a problem taking a pretty screenshot. But like fashion models, what seems stunning in a still photograph can often look flat and dull in motion.

This. Don't get me wrong, I loved the games and even got a good 60+ hours out of Skyrim, and will play it again. But even with crazy mods, playing it never looks/feels as good as the screenshots people are able to create.

Fun fun.. a "friend of mine" just checked their spam folder and found an invite to the stress test later this week. Score!

lol, would be pissed if I got one in my spam and I deleted it. I never check my spam folder...

A lot of their emails go into spam folders. Actually, many beta emails tend to. I check my spam folder a time a day or so if I am expecting something, or in case of a beta, hoping ;).

Do we have a release date on this? I really look forward to try this

Got an invite for the stress test this weekend... but I'll have to figure out how to get it running under wine.

Fun fun.. a "friend of mine" just checked their spam folder and found an invite to the stress test later this week. Score!

Same here. I wonder how many were sent out.

My PC specs have changed since I apped to beta, anyone know if I can update them or just reapp?

Also received my invite for the stress test. A friend received one today as well.

Honestly, i just want co-op elder scrolls.

Same here. I'm getting real tired of the MMO fetish game developers have these days where everything needs to be a MMO. And pretty much the same MMO too they don't even try to make it any different than the last attempts.

The thing that turns me off the most (Aside from the usual MMO complaints that I have, gear treadmill/raids/classes/the entire concept of 'endgame' .etc) is that they went the "Cram a bunch of random races into mega factions" route.. Really? Mega factions again? I got fed up with that in WoW and Warhammer Online. I don't want to be nailed down to a specific faction based on my racial choice.

I really like jack-of-all-trades mercenary type characters where I don't get involved too deeply with any specific faction or class, MMOs AFAIK never make this choice possible, but it's easily doable in ES games.

It doesn't look that much like WoW so far, I'll give them that, but it doesn't look that much like an ES game either. Who are they trying to please here? From what I've seen on several sites not too many ES fans are all that interested in it, and WoW players just shrug it off as another "WoW killer" doomed to fail.

I don't get why they made factions race based, that is so cliche and outdated a concept.

Factions should be open and allow the players to make the choice of what faction they want to align to.

So I am not in the beta, so I can't answer this question for myself, but I sense a similar sentiment brewing as I have with many of the newer MMOs. Basically, it seems to me that developers get so fixated on including the MMO tropes, that it holds them back from making a good game. Anyone have the same feeling with this game?

Almost 25GB for the stress test client..... :eek:

Good Lord.

Godamnit! When are they releasing the game!!!!11111

Sadly spring 2014, which means about 6-8 months left, if we're lucky. Can't wait to see the end result, considering ;). Bythe way, you forgot shift one one :D.

There's a private server already, (Google: Ophelia TES Online), they have no combat, npcs, etc. But they do have a character creation and you can roam around part of the world. Graphics are pretty nice, but the game looks extremely same-as-any-other-MMO.

Also, Elder Scrolls are buff items now (similar to relics in DAoC). The lore is just plain dead, yet they claim the game is canon. All they had to do was say it isn't....but no Colonel Sanders wouldn't have that...

That sounds pretty lame. I just wish they added MP to Skyrim.

That sounds pretty lame. I just wish they added MP to Skyrim.

One opinion based off of a barely-able-to-run private server with a cracked client on a very old build, with nothing to do but roam a small spot in the world (I've looked at the site before when someone mentioned it to me previously), is hardly a good indicator of the game itself ;). That goes for any game, not just this one... and this one's going to cause many split opinions. :p

One opinion based off of a barely-able-to-run private server with a cracked client on a very old build, with nothing to do but roam a small spot in the world (I've looked at the site before when someone mentioned it to me previously), is hardly a good indicator of the game itself ;). That goes for any game, not just this one... and this one's going to cause many split opinions. :p

Ahh, that's why you didn't respond to my PM about the Beta. I was going to give you my stress test code. *shrug*

We shall see, but it doesn't look awe inspiring to me from what's been made available thusfar.

There are long (60min+) gameplay leaks floating around from recent closed betas, those I would say are fair enough to form an opinion from. The ones I saw were on youtube but were pulled, I'm sure they still exist *somewhere*

Back