The Deus Ex Series Isn’t Dead: Next Game Already Being Discussed

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Earlier this year, it was reported that Square Enix put the Deus Ex series on hiatus after underwhelming sales of the latest entry, Mankind Divided. But it's not true that the series is going away forever, Square Enix CEO Yosuke Matsuda said in a new interview. In fact, plans (preliminary, at least) are already underway for a new installment.

That being said, Matsuda strongly suggested that the Deus Ex series is taking a breather for the time behind. He added that Deus Ex is a "very important franchise" for Square Enix overall, adding that some discussions are already being had about what Square Enix wants to do with the next Deus Ex game. No further details are available at this time, however.

Earlier this year, it was reported that Square Enix put the Deus Ex series on hiatus after underwhelming sales of the latest entry, Mankind Divided. But it's not true that the series is going away forever, Square Enix CEO Yosuke Matsuda said in a new interview. In fact, plans (preliminary, at least) are already underway for a new installment.

That being said, Matsuda strongly suggested that the Deus Ex series is taking a breather for the time behind. He added that Deus Ex is a "very important franchise" for Square Enix overall, adding that some discussions are already being had about what Square Enix wants to do with the next Deus Ex game. No further details are available at this time, however.
Maybe they should do a cross over like Deus Ex X "cross" errr Mirror's edge, and Remember Me? That could be cool.

Thank god! I thoroughly enjoyed Mankind Divided and I would have been sad if it were cancelled. Although it had some problems I think they were blown a bit out of proportions thanks to the microtransaction scheme Square tried to pull. Thankfully the whole thing was tacked on afterthought and it had no real effect on the game other than the bad PR it created.

Now with extra long grinding sessions and loot boxes.
Seriously, where is my Max Payne pre-quel and remake of the original?

I was wondering why I was getting frame drops of nearly 30 fps on a 1080 Ti even with all settings/effects set to low until I turned off DirectX 12.

That is awesome.

This has been my favorite single player FPS series ever since the reboot started with Human Revolution.

I fear at this rate the next installment won't come out until we all ACTUALLY have augmentations though :p

Whatever happened to that Deus Ex film adaptation everyone was talking about?

That is awesome.

This has been my favorite single player FPS series ever since the reboot started with Human Revolution.

I fear at this rate the next installment won't come out until we all ACTUALLY have augmentations though :p

There is one. It's called Blade Runner 2049. :p

I really like Deus Ex: HR and MK-D I still have Mankind Divided on my list on games I need to finish they should just outsource the boss battles again just to stir the pool.

Now with extra long grinding sessions and loot boxes.
Seriously, where is my Max Payne pre-quel and remake of the original?

only if max payne goes back to remedy. i'd rather not see another trailer trash retirement version of max payne that has little to nothing to do with the originals.

Really happy to hear this. Deus Ex is probably one of the only series I really 'like' anymore and the latest two games I thought were fantastic (yes, even compared to the original). I'm honestly kinda surprised that more non-game content hasn't been set in the DE universe as I would think that universe would be set up perfectly for a TV series, comic books, novels or maybe even film.

I liked the last game, it was just about ten hours too short. Other than that it was fine, but for the $25 I paid for it, it was well worth a play through.

I liked the last game, it was just about ten hours too short. Other than that it was fine, but for the $25 I paid for it, it was well worth a play through.

Partially agree.

Every single game in the Deus Ex series (except Invisible War, that game sucked) left me with that "I need more" feeling when I finished it, with that almost remorse-like feeling you get when you finish a good book and there is no more left...

Mankind Divided was great. Could have used some more time fine tuning the effects though, as I feel it - while gorgeous - was unusually hard on the GPU for the level of quality we got.

Mankind Divided wasn't quite as good as Human Revolution but it was still pretty solid. Felt like it was cut short.

Deus Ex is one of my two all-time favorite game series. The other is Mass Effect, of course. Great news on another installment of DE. I'd love to see the original remade/updated with the latest graphics technology, too.

Well Mankind Divided was immeasurably better than Human Revolution. For good reason: It reverted back to ideas from the original 2000 DeusEx, which despite it's difficult development is hands down the best game ever created. Human revolution felt fake, like a movie set created for the player. However they corrected that in Mankind Divided, the game world again felt believable, like you're at actual locations and not in the WB backlot.

Mankind Divided wasn't quite as good as Human Revolution but it was still pretty solid. Felt like it was cut short.

Mankind Divided was cut short, it felt as if it was only the first chapter of a longer game, but I still enjoyed what I got from it more than HR.

And this time it will be built from the ground up for MT's rather than having them jammed in at the last second, that's what everyone wanted right?

And this time it will be built from the ground up for MT's rather than having them jammed in at the last second, that's what everyone wanted right?

There were Microtransactions in Mankind Divided?

I never noticed.

There were Microtransactions in Mankind Divided?

I never noticed.

Not surprised, they were a publisher mandate handed down from Square about a month before the game went gold. Subsequently they were completely arbitrary and the game was in no way "balanced" in favor of them. You can bet this time out that shite will be part of the plan from day 1.

Hopefully we don't have to sit through another "augment your preorder" fiasco.

Not surprised, they were a publisher mandate handed down from Square about a month before the game went gold. Subsequently they were completely arbitrary and the game was in no way "balanced" in favor of them. You can bet this time out that shite will be part of the plan from day 1.

Hopefully we don't have to sit through another "augment your preorder" fiasco.

Hmmpf. I love the series, but depending on how microtransactions are included any future installment could be on the blacklist for me.

I mean, the pre-order bonus items in both HR and MD bothered me, but you can just drop them and play the game like normal.

Same, if they sell in game items like guns, ammo or praxis kits, you don't HAVE TO buy them. I mean if people want to pay to take shortcuts in a game they are only cheating themselves.

As long as they don't design the game such that you need to buy the items in order to successfully play them game, like bypassing pointless grinds, or impossible scenarios by buying praxis kits or super guns, I'm ok with it.

I mean I'd prefer if they weren't there at all, but if I can just successfully ignore them and they don't interfere with the vibe of the game (like stupid skins do in certain titles, detracting from the realism of it all) I could learn to live with it.

If some fools decide to waste their money by buying shortcuts to a game and thus only robbing themselves or playtime, I'm fine with it. Again, only as long as it doesn't impact me in any way.

I don't have much faith that this would be the case though. I don't trust the judgment of executives and finance guys on this subject. My guess is the artists, writers and programmers aren't too enthused about it, but that they are forced into it by the bean counters and management jerks.

I thought MD was drawn out at parts, was hard to follow, side content filled too much of the game, and some of the bugs on PC were terrible. Luckily they mostly fixed the technical aspects and the game was still better than most. It just seemed to drag on a bit too much without much progression, which is why I was annoyed when they kicked it down the road. The PC port at release was atrocious and I bet that hurt PC sales a lot. I hope it gets done sooner rather than later because I'd like to finish where we left off in MD.

Well Mankind Divided was immeasurably better than Human Revolution. For good reason: It reverted back to ideas from the original 2000 DeusEx, which despite it's difficult development is hands down the best game ever created. Human revolution felt fake, like a movie set created for the player. However they corrected that in Mankind Divided, the game world again felt believable, like you're at actual locations and not in the WB backlot.

Mankind Divided was cut short, it felt as if it was only the first chapter of a longer game, but I still enjoyed what I got from it more than HR.

I read your HR review in the past and just can't agree with that! I thought it was notable better than MD. The only part I agree with you on strongly is I felt Detroit in HR had an awkward setup. It seemed compressed for lack of a better word. For example, the black market gun dealer across the street from the worlds most profitable human augmentation corporation.

Human Revolution is one of the few games of any length I've gone back and done a super-challenging replay of because I wanted to really explore the systems of the game. A max difficulty-pacifist (no killing beyond unskippable bosses) run required a lot of quickload/save, and the fight to both save the pilot and not kill anyone took multiple tries over many days, but it was really a sense of pride and accomplishment, no messed up paid lootbox-based progression needed. Mankind Divided was good, but I felt lacked for another hub city to poke around in. Almost wish it had been a full Blood and Wine-esque expansion/expandalone and we got another full sequel sooner. theBrownLlama makes a good point though, if faced with the choice to have one now and one later I'd waver but ultimately go with Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher 3 is still unsurpassed for the sheer mass of its quality, hand-crafted story content.

That is awesome.

Was Human Revolution a reboot or a prequel? I thought it was the latter. I hated the original games so I never completed them.

I read your HR review in the past and just can't agree with that! I thought it was notable better than MD. The only part I agree with you on strongly is I felt Detroit in HR had an awkward setup. It seemed compressed for lack of a better word. For example, the black market gun dealer across the street from the worlds most profitable human augmentation corporation.
The problem to me with HR is that it was too in your face about being able to do things differently. It didn't feel like an achievement to find an alternative solution to something when it was so obviously presented, the map designs were just a part of that problem. This ruined the game for me. Well when I say ruined I don't mean it was a bad game, it was just not as good as it could and should have been, and I felt MD addressed or at least tried to address most of my complaints.

Human Revolution is one of the few games of any length I've gone back and done a super-challenging replay of because I wanted to really explore the systems of the game. A max difficulty-pacifist (no killing beyond unskippable bosses) run required a lot of quickload/save, and the fight to both save the pilot and not kill anyone took multiple tries over many days, but it was really a sense of pride and accomplishment, no messed up paid lootbox-based progression needed. Mankind Divided was good, but I felt lacked for another hub city to poke around in. Almost wish it had been a full Blood and Wine-esque expansion/expandalone and we got another full sequel sooner. theBrownLlama makes a good point though, if faced with the choice to have one now and one later I'd waver but ultimately go with Cyberpunk 2077, The Witcher 3 is still unsurpassed for the sheer mass of its quality, hand-crafted story content.

I played HR 98% non-lethal. One of my only kills was from when I broke into every apartment in a complex, punched every single person and guard along the way, and crammed every physics object and unconscious body into the elevator. Apparently one of the 5 refrigerators I jammed into there slipped and crushed someone at some point.

I also KO'd the entirety of the police department and dragged them into vents. It was like some horror movie shit where you turn around and your buddy is gone with nary a sound. At one point shit also went down in that night club and I had to break like 20 jaws.

I'm pretty sure I punched almost every single hostile NPC in that entire game. And about half that weren't.

Reactions: MaZa
like this
Was Human Revolution a reboot or a prequel? I thought it was the latter. I hated the original games so I never completed them.

I didn't realize the term "reboot" was so specific. I was just using it to mean "new game in the series after much time had passed"

Yes they were prequels.

We'll have to disagree on that one I guess. While the sequel to the original (Invisible War) was pretty awful, to me the original from 2001 is one of the most excellent, iconic and noteworthy single player FPS games of all time, probably second only to the original Half Life.

The prequels are certainly better games an there have been better ones since, but at the time the original came out it stood on its own completely redefining the FPS genre for the better.

With Half Life and Deus Ex in the span of a few years, suddenly everything that came before it (Doom/Quake/Duke Nukem etc.) was boring, outdated and irrelevant.

Half Life introduced more story driven games as opposed to the low story run and gun stuff that was popular before it. Deus Ex built on it, and added even more story plus an elementary of RPG style advancement which was fantastic, and made way for story driven FPS games that came after them.

Once I played those two, I never again played a Quake/Doom style game. From an FPS perspective I spent way more time in multiplayer games (first Counter-Strike starting in 1999, and later Red Orchestra and it's sequel) but these two stand out as early FPS games that changed the way we thought about single player FPS games and both would make my top 10 of all time list.

Back