The Delidding for Cheapskates Thread

Nightfire

2[H]4U
I am hoping to get a thread going that may help those of us that want to delid but do not want to spend the $50 or so to buy a delidder from some of these sharks on the net.

For those that have a $300+ processor, that $50 is probably worth it, but for those of us that paid under $200, that is a lot tougher to swallow.

In short, please post methods of a cheap way to delid. PLEASE BE SPECIFIC. Let us know exactly what parts you used, what type of processor you did it on, and exactly HOW you did it.

Additionally, I would like to see people here that are willing to lease there delidders to others on the forums. It would be pretty sweet to see people rent out there delid tools for $10 or so. Let's keep each other [H]ard!

Let's keep each other [H]ard!
I'm... gonna sit this one out lads.

That being said, I used the Vice method on my 3770k, took all of 5 minutes with no fuss. Literally a set of table vice, some electric tape on the jaws to prevent any scratches, and a cardboard flier from the mail under the chip to catch it.

I wouldn't use it on the new chips since they have a lot more SMDs to worry about, but I've seen some solid looking 3D printed delidder designs. Given a good track record I'd blast one of those out, recoup some of that 3D printer investment :D.

Personally the highest price I've seen is $40 for the rockitcool88 kit (though if you get liquid metal and gasket maker it'd be closer to $55-60 for parts) as Fuzzy noted you if you have a 3d printer they have alot of print options.
Or they have the print on demand services, I had a fairly large shroud made for my Ubiquiti USG for 8$ shipped, and third option is ebay they have pre-printed tools as well as knockoffs of varying styles for 10-20$.

Vice method is the only reliable "free" method I've read being used, but does have a higher risk than a tool and thats assuming you own a vice already.

I bought the 1155 socket rockit tool thats worked great I also have 6 chips to delid so it was alot easier to justify the cost, 4/4 cpu so far though (one of them being soldered on even, though I don't recommend it that way after trying it).
I'm going to delid my last two then I'd be willing to rent it out for whomever needs it, heck if they're local to Austin, stop by and I'll help.

I bought the rockit kit and used it on multiple chips from different generations, was worth the price. I would also be willing to loan out my tool if someone needed it.

I was actually looking for something that works with am4 (Raven Ridge). I believe there is an adapter, but I can't find it.

that is a lot tougher to swallow

Except no one asked you to :)
It's a warranty voiding, risky and delicate endeavour that is not condoned, let alone encouraged; cheap ass manufacturing policies notwithstanding, this is entirely on you (i hate toothpaste sandwiching too, but..)

Now if you want to do this, two branches:
- You're on an older Intel and/or an AM4 APU, in which case, yes, 101%, you can delid them 'on your own'. You need some good quality, straight, razor-like sharp implement (X-Acto or something of this caliber), a heat gun, a credit card and a lot of patience. You have the patience, you can manage it.
- You're on an X299 SKU, in which case, heed my advice and be warned that no, you cannot do this on your own without a very high chance of breaking something, mostly SMDs. The way the layout is, you have no handhold of sorts to apply pressure to while pulling from the other end; chances are you'll regret trying it on your own. Buy a kit, or call it a day and do nothing.

(as to the kit you mentioned for AM4 APUs, it is indeed an addon, main unit is sold separately: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/41957/der8auer-delid-die-mate-2-amd-add-on-kit/ )

image.jpg

Hmm, most of these places don't ship APO so I guess I will just wait until I return stateside (which is soon). I am too much of a putz to do the razor method, so I would definitely use a delidder tool. I am guessing the AM4 adapter only works with the de8auer tool, shich kind of makes it pricey and hard to do with a cheap Chinese delidder.

as someone who will delid anything and has delided prettymuch anything without spending anything here are the two methods i usally use

no solder (this is extremely easy) . put the ihs in my vice and rotate pcb till it popes off. or put a wood ship agenst the side and hit it with a rubber mallet (pay atention to if the pcb has small componants on it)

solder. run a razor along the edge and put one razor in each corner to apply some tention to the chip. put cpu in vice with a peice of wood agenst the heat spreader so if i tighten the vice it pushes the heat spreader off. heat with a blowtourch for some majical time and crank on the vice.

Except no one asked you to :)
It's a warranty voiding, risky and delicate endeavour that is not condoned, let alone encouraged; cheap ass manufacturing policies notwithstanding, this is entirely on you (i hate toothpaste sandwiching too, but..)

Now if you want to do this, two branches:
- You're on an older Intel and/or an AM4 APU, in which case, yes, 101%, you can delid them 'on your own'. You need some good quality, straight, razor-like sharp implement (X-Acto or something of this caliber), a heat gun, a credit card and a lot of patience. You have the patience, you can manage it.
- You're on an X299 SKU, in which case, heed my advice and be warned that no, you cannot do this on your own without a very high chance of breaking something, mostly SMDs. The way the layout is, you have no handhold of sorts to apply pressure to while pulling from the other end; chances are you'll regret trying it on your own. Buy a kit, or call it a day and do nothing.

(as to the kit you mentioned for AM4 APUs, it is indeed an addon, main unit is sold separately: https://www.pccasegear.com/products/41957/der8auer-delid-die-mate-2-amd-add-on-kit/ )

if the cpu isn't soldered its a redicuasly easy task that i could do with rocks from outside and a picture of the delided chip to know where the smd's are. it doesnt even take patience literally juts a hit from a mallet on the vice or rotate the ihs off. soldered cpus, however, are a completly differnt story with household tools.

as someone who will delid anything and has delided prettymuch anything without spending anything here are the two methods i usally use

no solder (this is extremely easy) . put the ihs in my vice and rotate pcb till it popes off. or put a wood ship agenst the side and hit it with a rubber mallet (pay atention to if the pcb has small componants on it)

solder. run a razor along the edge and put one razor in each corner to apply some tention to the chip. put cpu in vice with a peice of wood agenst the heat spreader so if i tighten the vice it pushes the heat spreader off. heat with a blowtourch for some majical time and crank on the vice.

Sounds like a great way to blow 300 bucks. But if you've done it before then it must mean youre a pro lol.

I've only ever used a tool (my trusty Rockit88!) but now that I've seen how it works, I'd have little anxiety trying it with a vice. That said, even if you got a good deal on the chip, I still think a purpose-built tool is worth the money - with delidding, your risk isn't really what the chip cost, but rather it's what you'd have to pay to replace it if something goes wrong.

Sounds like a great way to blow 300 bucks. But if you've done it before then it must mean youre a pro lol.

I wouldnt try to do it on an expencive soldered cpu but for the other ones i wouldnt think twice. cpus are alot less fragile then you may think

I used a stanley knife to cut mine out.
Taking my time I cut all the way round, a little at a time, going deeper with each rotation.
It probably took 15 minutes to finish.
I got a few scrapes on the green top coat, nothing to worry about, but the perfectionist side of me was annoyed because it could have been avoided if my attention didnt wander.

So I finally got around to delidding my 2400g using the arts and crafts shop. We will see in 2 weeks when I get back from vacation and have my liquid metal if I was successful.

I started off by using an exacto knife on the outside off the permatex to make vice work easier.

I tried placing the cpu on an angle in the vice with the pcb touching one side and the ihs on the other. This was terribly unsuccessful. At first I tried to put relatively soft material on the pcb side but the force threatened to squish the material enough that the cpu pins were in jeopardy. I later tried just using just the vice, but I gnarled up the ihs and possibly damaged the outside of the pcb.

I clamped the cpu in the vice and then tapped the ihs increasing harder with a mallet and a very hard piece of wood. This worked brilliantly.

This was my first delid and a great learning experience. Other methods might work better for Intel, but tapping the IHS with a mallet seems to have worked the best for Raven Ridge.

I DEFINITELY wouldn't use just a razer with these chips. The permatex seems to be flatter and wider than on Intel, and after removing the IHS, the permatex was squished right against the smds all around the inside of the cpu. I could have carved out more, but man was it a tight squeeze and very risky.

When I get the liquid metal, I will add a VERY thin layer of permatex and clamp down the cpu until it dries. Cracking the die when installing the heat sink is actually said to be the most dangerous part. The new permatex should prevent any movement.

For now, I have an a12-9800 in the pc, so if I goofed, the wife won't even know :p

I got my delidder off aliexpress. Came with a razor and worked perfectly for me. Just search "cpu cap opener" and you'll get a bunch $5-10 tools. Unfortunately, no ryzen ones yet.

I got my delidder off aliexpress. Came with a razor and worked perfectly for me. Just search "cpu cap opener" and you'll get a bunch $5-10 tools. Unfortunately, no ryzen ones yet.
Shouldn't need to on Ryzen, IRRC they use solder on all their chips meaning minimal to no gain by delidding them.

So I succesfully delided my 2400g, at least in the sense that I didn't break anything. I will have to do some more tests to see if I actually lowered temps. At stock settings, I was seeing about 62* max with prime95 high heat on quiet fan. I will need to use timespy as a comparison from my last run.

So I did some more testing and temps are rediculously low.
Unfortantely, my new mb does not allow gpu overclocking so I can't compare to my old timespy results.

However, I will compare to what gigaxtreme1 got at 4.175 ghz:
"1.4125 volt cpu, Cinebench 913 CPU up to 75.5 temp, 72.28 high"

He was using a 360mm aio while I have the H80i. Also, I needed far more voltage at 1.54v to get that speed stable.

I ran back to back CB at corsair's performance setting with a max temp of 70.6*. Stepping down to balance setting which slows down the pump and fan showed a max of 71.8*. Going down to quiet mode, which is inaudible over my dehumidifier in the next room only showed 73.6*.

Later I reduced frequency to 4.1 ghz, which only requires 1.44v, and ran several CB tests again in quiet mode. Max temp was 66.4*. Finally I ran high heat prime95 with these settings and saw a max of about 72* after a couple of minutes.

In short, this cpu has more cooling capacity than I am willing to push the voltages. From my best guess, temps dropped around 15* in the higher fan settings and possibly more than that in quiet mode.

This is highly recommended for anyone that wants to run a 2400g in very tight and quiet setup while still having a nice overclock.

how does your mobo "not allow gpu overclocking"? ive never seen/heard that before. if you mean in bios, no mobos bios controls the gpu. install afterburner and oc the gpu.

On my 6600K, I used a DE safety razer blade. Wrapped it with etape to keep from cutting myself and going too deep and hitting the die. I worked the blade around, was done in five minutes. Cleaned the old goop and sealant off, installed CLU, put the lid back on(didn't use sealant), and back in the mobo it went.

Back