The Culling - Multiplayer survival game

In for one. It seems to need some work but it looks like a good time.

Watched a match the concept is reasonably solid and it could be fun but it looks like it was built from assets somebody else made and they just pieced it together. The skins look atrocious. I would expect what you see is what you get and it's never leaving early access.

My buddy and I both picked this up on Saturday and put in about 3 hours. Love it!!!

The game is a lot like H1Z1 only with more of a melee focus. The melee is fast paced "rock, paper, scissors" because you can swing, block, or push to break an opponents block. Can play 1-man or 2-man. The matches are limited to 20 minutes and push everyone to the center of the map where there is an arena.

Pros:
The price is right ($13.50)
Runs smooth
Lots of feature - if you die then you can spectate your partner and if you both die then you can spectate other players, you can set your skins and perks in the main menu
Epic fights - we were involved in, and witnessed some epic 2v2 fights to win the match. There appears to be a high skill ceiling and lots of different effective Tier 2/3 weapons which made for interesting and unique battles

Cons:
FPS appears to be limited to 60FPS
There are some known bugs they are working on but I haven't encountered any yet

My buddy and I both picked this up on Saturday and put in about 3 hours. Love it!!!

The game is a lot like H1Z1 only with more of a melee focus. The melee is fast paced "rock, paper, scissors" because you can swing, block, or push to break an opponents block. Can play 1-man or 2-man. The matches are limited to 20 minutes and push everyone to the center of the map where there is an arena.

Pros:
The price is right ($13.50)
Runs smooth
Lots of feature - if you die then you can spectate your partner and if you both die then you can spectate other players, you can set your skins and perks in the main menu
Epic fights - we were involved in, and witnessed some epic 2v2 fights to win the match. There appears to be a high skill ceiling and lots of different effective Tier 2/3 weapons which made for interesting and unique battles

Cons:
FPS appears to be limited to 60FPS
There are some known bugs they are working on but I haven't encountered any yet
What's your name on Steam? I'll add ya!

It looks like they lifted Ark's combat. Which......isn't a good thing

been playing a lot of team games, its pretty fun. The combat is kinda janky but for 13 bucks its a blast. Announcer guy is well done too.

Needs more passive traps in game.

I am immensely fond of H1Z1's Battle Royal, but this appears to strip away everything I love about it. H1Z1's fun (to me) is in managing to survive the initial massacre while hunting for guns, and then being cautious and strategic to work your way to the top of a 150+ person match. Getting to the final few is immensely satisfying. This may be fun, but in what I assume are small, short matches, a win (or near win) doesn't seem like it would be nearly as rewarding.

I watched a stream of it last night. I get what they were going for, but the pacing is all wrong for game like this in my opinion. The first 3/4 of the game is amassing your arsenal by running around and crafting things, while the last 1/4 looks like everyone running around like chickens with their heads cut off. They need to at least double the player count or decrease the amount of time before the gas pushes players to the center. I agree with Viper that the way KotK plays is much better.

I also have a feeling that this is going to be one of those games that either never comes out of EA, or is released as a complete game while it is still in an EA state.

I watched a stream of it last night. I get what they were going for, but the pacing is all wrong for game like this in my opinion. The first 3/4 of the game is amassing your arsenal by running around and crafting things, while the last 1/4 looks like everyone running around like chickens with their heads cut off. They need to at least double the player count or decrease the amount of time before the gas pushes players to the center. I agree with Viper that the way KotK plays is much better.

I also have a feeling that this is going to be one of those games that either never comes out of EA, or is released as a complete game while it is still in an EA state.

I'm also a fan of H1Z1, but you do realize that The Culling is already in a better state? The culling has better performance, spectating, and loadouts.

H1Z1 is very rough around the edges performance wise. There's no spectating feature. You have to re-skin your items before every individual game.

Also, I find The Culling to be much faster paced than H1Z1. The Culling matches last 20 minutes with tons of combat throughout. A typical match in H1Z1 lasts 30-60 minutes with some combat in the beginning, a boring 20-40 minute middle segment, and then some action at the end of the match.

I'm also a fan of H1Z1, but you do realize that The Culling is already in a better state? The culling has better performance, spectating, and loadouts.

H1Z1 is very rough around the edges performance wise. There's no spectating feature. You have to re-skin your items before every individual game.

Also, I find The Culling to be much faster paced than H1Z1. The Culling matches last 20 minutes with tons of combat throughout. A typical match in H1Z1 lasts 30-60 minutes with some combat in the beginning, a boring 20-40 minute middle segment, and then some action at the end of the match.
I agree that it is in a much better state technically and content-wise. But I was referring to the way the gameplay is paced, not how long matches last. H1Z1 has always had its issues, but I think it is a game I'd rather play over The Culling at the moment. And to be fair, H1Z1 has already been in development for more than a year as an EA title while The Culling was just released to EA.

I agree that it is in a much better state technically and content-wise. But I was referring to the way the gameplay is paced, not how long matches last. H1Z1 has always had its issues, but I think it is a game I'd rather play over The Culling at the moment. And to be fair, H1Z1 has already been in development for more than a year as an EA title while The Culling was just released to EA.

True, I'm happy to enjoy both games. H1Z1 is a great game and has led to some epic gaming moments.

I really wish they would fix the performance, add spectating, and load-outs though!

Back