The crappiest e6300

drizzt81

[H]F Junkie
I nominate my e6300 as the crappiest chip ever. I need to overvolt the chip, my GSkill (-NQ) DDR2 800, the FSB and NB in order to get it stable at 2.8GHz on my DS3. Keep in mind, I am watercooling.

Anyone that can beat me in crappiness?

Wow, you got a runt. Sell that and get another one, look for batch that start L6xxBxxx

I got a crappy setup, but its totaly my Mobo's fault.

Asrock 775Dual-Vsta with an e6300es tops out at 2.0G, 285fsb. I thought I'd be saving some coin reusing old mem/video. But seems like I'm gonna look for a D somethingorother with a very high multiplier (20x) for this board, and get another for this e6300.

Sure it's not the mobo? Does the mobo do better with another chip?

Sure it's not the mobo? Does the mobo do better with another chip?

I only have one Core2Duo, so I do not know if it is the mobo. But I am not really asking ``much'' with an FSB of 400, am I?

i can't get over 3.0...I'm as close as can be lol. Kinda sucks but its ok. Going from stock to 2.98 gave me a .3 increase in the vista score lol. OOOOOOO....still doesn't help getting less than 70fps in CSS. damn dirty drivers.

It is a good board if you have luck with them. Mine had all kinds of problems but it was the first week it was released. I returned it and got P5B instead.

965 boards are way to go for Core 2 Duo. DS3 is a great board with many tweaking settings.

I hope you didnt buy the 965G DS3. From what I've heard (few, but still more than 1 person), the 965G boards doesnt overclock nearly as well as the 965P's.

C2D overclocking is a bit odd IMO.

I heard all these great results and yet I cannot get my e6400 over 3GHZ and I can not get my e6600 over 3GHZ without tons of power.

Now, I think most also do not do as much stabilty testing as I do, I like at least 10hrs when most stop at 4hrs and call it good....

I heard all these great results and yet I cannot get my e6400 over 3GHZ and I can not get my e6600 over 3GHZ without tons of power.

Now, I think most also do not do as much stabilty testing as I do, I like at least 10hrs when most stop at 4hrs and call it good....

I'm more anal than you and do 12-24 hours stability testing and I was able to go up to 3.4 GHz 24h stable ;) It also has to do with the motherboard ability to help with stable overclocks, a good pick on memory and a excellent power supply (this is often the most overlooked piece of the computer).

Uh, anything better than stock is good, no ? It's only guaranteed to run at stock.

I'm more anal than you and do 12-24 hours stability testing and I was able to go up to 3.4 GHz 24h stable ;) It also has to do with the motherboard ability to help with stable overclocks, a good pick on memory and a excellent power supply (this is often the most overlooked piece of the computer).

Yup, I have a good Mobo (P5B-E), Good Memory (DDR2800 and it runs at that fine), and one of the best PSUs, the Corsair 620HX.

Uh, anything better than stock is good, no ? It's only guaranteed to run at stock.

Agreed. But people around here seem to think you should get to over 3.0GHZ easily. Because some have doesn't mean all will. I think people saying you will get there easy is what makes people feel down when they dont get there ;)

Yup, I have a good Mobo (P5B-E), Good Memory (DDR2800 and it runs at that fine), and one of the best PSUs, the Corsair 620HX.

Agreed. But people around here seem to think you should get to over 3.0GHZ easily. Because some have doesn't mean all will. I think people saying you will get there easy is what makes people feel down when they dont get there ;)

I think so too. Alot of people switched to C2D thinking they will achieve high overclock like the people in XtremeSystems forums. I knew this was just a marketing brainwash so that is why I didn't switch. If you were following earlier threads about c2d before it was officially out, a lot of people received golden samples or Engineer samples showing amazing OC potential. I remember a few people achieving 4ghz+ with a E6600 on air. To me, that was pretty laughable knowing they're only a group of intel employees dishing out wishfull results with their golden samples. This kind of behaviour does indeed brainwash the weak mind and soul of majority of folks , just like how the media does when you watch the TV. IE ; Fox 5 , CNN . Just jump to Xtremesystems forums and you'll see the same trend there, people wondering why their E6600 cant go beyond 3.2ghz which is an avarage on retail cpu. Anyway, goodluck to everyone and try not to dish out your money before valid proof those made by the customers and not intel geek squad thats spreading around dishonest results.

Luckily the C2D is fast even at stock :)

I upgraded for the pure power at just stock speed, any OC was a bonus!

Perhaps you're doing something wrong.

I have the original P5B vanilla board. Have E6300 @ 425FSB 2975mhz on some cheap DDR2 667 chips. You should mess with the ram timings.

I'm wondering what is up with my E6400 or my motherboard. It will run 3.2 Ghz stable all day/every day at 400 FSB. This is with Corsair XMS DDR2 800 running stock and only a little extra voltage to the CPU. I can't get the damn thing stable even 1 mhz over 400 on the FSB. It seemed to be crunching along just fine for about 3-4 hours before I had trouble. To me it just seems weird that I can get to this speed with virtually no problems but even 1 mhz over and it's unstable. I still have plenty of voltage to push through the CPU and the RAM but it does no good. Actually, I don't put too much more to the CPU since I'm still on stock cooling. Hopefully I'll have a better heatsink before too long but my temps aren't too bad. Usually between 55-60C under full load. Then again, I've never had a CPU that would overclock anymore when I reached 60C for temps. It could be my luck that I have another one.

By the way, I'm using a DS3 ver2.0 and Antec NEO 500HE PSU. I wanted a Seasonic 600 but I didn't have the money. Then again, I was also a bit low on money so I only got a gig of RAM too. If I get really lucky I'll come into some money before too long for another C2D box. Get what I wanted for this box and give this one to my son and maybe check the CPU in the new mobo to see if it was just a CPU limitation or the mobo limiting it. I was hoping for 450 FSB out of it but did not get it obviously.

Perhaps you're doing something wrong.

I have the original P5B vanilla board. Have E6300 @ 425FSB 2975mhz on some cheap DDR2 667 chips. You should mess with the ram timings.

This is where people get so confused and what I was talking about earlier! Some chips just cannot OC as well as others.

My RAM is fine, my timings are fine, it is the processor. My RAM is DDR2800 stock so I am not even OCing the RAM to try and get 3.2GHZ on the e6400. I also have decent cooling and everything else in the machine is stable. To prove it is the processor, when I am at 400FSB x8multi it fails, but then I drop it down to x7 and it will run all day with everything else in the system the same.

I also have tried to OC my e6600 and it is fine at 2.88GHZ but I have to bump up the vCore to 1.48 to get it to run stable at over 3GHZ which I do not really want to do for a 24/7 rig (and my mainboard does not restart properly with a high vCore like that).

Maybe my Mobo is just a dude, but it seems like it is the processor and others have said it is since when I drop the multi it makes it stable at the same FSB :)

The chances of having a bunk 6600 and 6400 that cant go over 3gs is pretty slim IMHO... some people get better overclock than others cos they have more experience overclocking or they give more effort and not just quit.....

Maybe I was lucky with mine but to be honest thats what I was expecting when I bought my rig.... I was expecting 4gs 3dmark stable and it did 4094mhz so a lil better than expected.....

I recently bump into a friend that I havent seen in a while and topic got to overclocking... he gave up being stuck at 3200mhz with his e6300 and said he got a "bunk" cpu.... 5 hours of troubleshooting and he's rock stable at 3600mhz......

People need to understand that overclocking is not just buy, build and set to 3600mhz.....dont wanna sound egotistical but most people that are stuck at below 3000mhz are doing something wrong.... only few got unlucky....

...and don't bench in the garage, some people might think that you are cheating because using cold air is not fair? :rolleyes: Or are they just jealous...:confused:

I also have tried to OC my e6600 and it is fine at 2.88GHZ but I have to bump up the vCore to 1.48 to get it to run stable at over 3GHZ which I do not really want to do for a 24/7 rig (and my mainboard does not restart properly with a high vCore like that).
I registered just to reply to this. My new e6600 needs 1.4V to run stable at 3GHz. It needs 1.525V to run stable at 3.2GHz (355 FSB). I spent all of today messing around with settings on my P5B Deluxe but can't do any better, and I thought I got the crappiest e6600 ever.

The chances of having a bunk 6600 and 6400 that cant go over 3gs is pretty slim IMHO... some people get better overclock than others cos they have more experience overclocking or they give more effort and not just quit.....

Maybe I was lucky with mine but to be honest thats what I was expecting when I bought my rig.... I was expecting 4gs 3dmark stable and it did 4094mhz so a lil better than expected.....

I recently bump into a friend that I havent seen in a while and topic got to overclocking... he gave up being stuck at 3200mhz with his e6300 and said he got a "bunk" cpu.... 5 hours of troubleshooting and he's rock stable at 3600mhz......

People need to understand that overclocking is not just buy, build and set to 3600mhz.....dont wanna sound egotistical but most people that are stuck at below 3000mhz are doing something wrong.... only few got unlucky....

Well, I have spent weeks trying to OC both.

Also, I have stepped up the FSB and Voltages slowly trying almost every level there is trying to get them stable.

Like I said before though, if I just did a 4hrs test I could be stable with less volts...I personally like it to run for longer than that though as 4hrs is nothing IMO.

I hope you didnt buy the 965G DS3. From what I've heard (few, but still more than 1 person), the 965G boards doesnt overclock nearly as well as the 965P's.
No, it's the 965P.

Yes, that is usually my speech.

I do not have 5 hours to spend on over clocking. So apparently I must be doing something wrong if more voltage and super-relaxed timings barely yield a ``simple'' result.

What would be helpful to all is if you described how you troubleshooted your system. What was the problem that held him back at 3.2GHz? How did you figure it out? How did you solve it?

What would be helpful to all is if you described how you troubleshooted your system. What was the problem that held him back at 3.2GHz? How did you figure it out? How did you solve it?

I think one of the most common mistake people make is they assume a component is capable of a certain overclock.... " cant be my ram, its XXX and can do XXX" or " My mobo should do XXX" ..... I know cos I was like that too.... With unlock multi on C2D and memory dividers on the mobo, you should be able to isolate whats holding you back... so you can test JUST the rams then test JUST the mobo and isolate teh problem..... It is very hard to troubleshoot if you dont know what to look for.....

As for my buddy, we ended up taking everything apart..... the IHS on his e6300 was pretty bad so we lapped it... changed the thermal paste on the NB and SB, I taught him the proper way to apply thermal paste..... Install CPU, NB, SB hsf back and ran it for 10- 15 mins..... took off all 3 hsf again to check seating and installed everything again..... that was it.....

I am usually in disbelief when I read stuff like this. I think some of you guys need a little perspective here. A 900MHz+ overclock is not that bad.

I had a 2.4C that would only do 2.6GHz. Now that was a crappy overclocker.

I am usually in disbelief when I read stuff like this. I think some of you guys need a little perspective here. A 900MHz+ overclock is not that bad.

I had a 2.4C that would only do 2.6GHz. Now that was a crappy overclocker.

i agree...but you know when you get that OC bug...you always gotta try for more lol. can't just settle.

My mobo wont let me get past a 480fsb :( . I know I could go higher. I dropped the multiplier back down to 6x and it sill wouldn't boot. I think the NB is too hot. If I cool it better (new heatsink) would it be able to get to 480+?

When I first got my mobo, first thing I did was take out the nb, sb heatpipe to check it..... the nb die was only half covered with thermal paste and the southbridge had the TIM but not even haft was sticking to the sb itself.... the sb will probably get better contact when it heats up ....Dont know if I gain anything but thats pretty dissappointing especially that its in thier flagship 965 board....

I got mine at 3.25 on my ds3 with barely raising the voltage at all, seems like you either have a dud e6300 or a dud ds3 (for ocing)

Maybe you could stop by a computer store and pick up a core2duo processor, place it into your machine and see if it works.. If it works but still has the same overclocking issues, could likely be your motherboard. Otherwise it's your processor though it's been a long time since I've seen a processor not capable of overclocking much past its stock speed.

I'm willing to bet its motherboard related and not the e6300 itself.

Back