The consolidated Linux gaming thread.

Anyone playing Borderlands the pre-sequel? SO fun. If anyone wants to play co-op let me know.

Anyone playing Borderlands the pre-sequel? SO fun. If anyone wants to play co-op let me know.

I play it from time to time but not in co-op. Fun game for sure, just waiting until I have a system that doesn't dip into the 40's for FPS from time to time to properly finish it.

I play it from time to time but not in co-op. Fun game for sure, just waiting until I have a system that doesn't dip into the 40's for FPS from time to time to properly finish it.

I've been playing single-player....I had heard of borderlands but had no idea what it was. I bought it for a few $ and I can see myself sinking a lot of time into it.

I'm playing at 1080p with a GTX 680 4GB. Looks like you have a 9590 and rx 580/8G in your sig. That should play it better than my box, I'd think...

I've been playing single-player....I had heard of borderlands but had no idea what it was. I bought it for a few $ and I can see myself sinking a lot of time into it.

I'm playing at 1080p with a GTX 680 4GB. Looks like you have a 9590 and rx 580/8G in your sig. That should play it better than my box, I'd think...

Mesa drivers are hit and miss with games. They can work beautifully but there are more bumps in the road. Luckily Mesa continues to improve and my FPS does improve with it. I am not constantly in the 40's but it is noticible when it happens. I prefer a min of 60 FPS.

Mesa drivers are hit and miss with games. They can work beautifully but there are more bumps in the road. Luckily Mesa continues to improve and my FPS does improve with it. I am not constantly in the 40's but it is noticible when it happens. I prefer a min of 60 FPS.

Are you on a recent kernel? I was thinking of swapping out my GTX 680 and swapping in my R9-290 because I figured it woudl be faster on 4.13.....maybe not?

Are you on a recent kernel? I was thinking of swapping out my GTX 680 and swapping in my R9-290 because I figured it woudl be faster on 4.13.....maybe not?

I'm on 4.13.11 at the moment. It's not like I am in the 40's most of the time. For much of my play I am at 80-100 FPS but there are sudden drops from time to time.

Graphics drivers are a general mess. The game developers are doing so horrible job at optimizing that Nvidia/AMD is making game specific optimizations to their closed drivers in order to compensate. The open drivers lack these optimizations mostly or completely so the performance tanks in places where the game actually has problems.

Graphics drivers are a general mess. The game developers are doing so horrible job at optimizing that Nvidia/AMD is making game specific optimizations to their closed drivers in order to compensate. The open drivers lack these optimizations mostly or completely so the performance tanks in places where the game actually has problems.

Nvidia's been doing this for quite some time, the AMD open source drivers are catching up though - It's not that bad.

With all details on I was hitting high 30s in FPS and mid 40s commonly in some of the open ares of Borderlands the Pre-Sequel. Still fun, but harder to aim at that framerate. I did turn of FXAA and that seemed to help a bit.

This is kind of disappointing...

With all details on I was hitting high 30s in FPS and mid 40s commonly in some of the open ares of Borderlands the Pre-Sequel. Still fun, but harder to aim at that framerate. I did turn of FXAA and that seemed to help a bit.

You're like me /dev/null, still running a Nvidia 6xx series card. They're getting a little long in the tooth now, really need to upgrade. I'm thinking of getting a 1050....

You're like me /dev/null, still running a Nvidia 6xx series card. They're getting a little long in the tooth now, really need to upgrade. I'm thinking of getting a 1050....
We're probably getting a 1080 for my kid this xmas so I'll inherit his 970 to my linux box. Currently running a 660 :)

I'd put something better than my 680 in my linux box, but they are all currently making money mining (1070 (2), RX 570 (3), R9 290, GTX 1060)..

I'd put something better than my 680 in my linux box, but they are all currently making money mining (1070 (2), RX 570 (3), R9 290, GTX 1060)..

Well....Money pays for games, so I'd say those cards are earning their keep then!

It's disappointing but to be expected when a game is ported to Linux instead of developed natively for it. Especially an Unreal game as those engines are "compatible" with Linux but barely. I would be very interested to see what a borderlands game would run like on Linux that was designed from the start to be cross platform.

What do you mine? I thought mining was mostly a waste of time. You get electricity cost + peanuts.

Ethereum currently...I'm positive +$200/month or so, when you factor in electricity.

Hmm so you can pay back the mining computer in about a years time. I guess it could make sense especially here where the computer works as a free heating radiator.

Hmm so you can pay back the mining computer in about a years time. I guess it could make sense especially here where the computer works as a free heating radiator.
Just really depends on how much you invest.

I had a bunch of cards here already for gaming and bought a few more. My payback on a $200 card is 6-8 mo to break even. If I plan to run the rig for ~ 2+ years it's a no brainer.

Lots of variables depending on what you want payback time to be and if you have any hardware sitting around or not. I have tons of old hardware & 99% of the time I'm not gaming on my cards so why not put them to use? From End of Oct/Early Mar we'll hit single digits (Celcius) daily, and get down to -20C. Heat is actually on in the house from ~ September'ish until April so why not use the free heating and make some money as well?

I totally missed the joke here guys...what is going on?

In other news I'm 47 hours into Borderlands the Pre-Sequel. Still looking for co-op players if anyone still plays. I know it's an older game.

I guess you need twitter to see that. :D

Yep haha. Funny thing is tweets get blocked by my ad blocker so I normally don't see it either and I posted it. It was a tweet from the creator of A Hat in Time. He was talking about good and bad fanbases he has dealt with and his words were:

"You know what fanbase is surprisingly good? The Linux fanbase."

Hello all,

As a fairly new user to the fold I'd just like to let everyone know that as of the latest Steam update icons are now saving to the desktop yet again, there's also an interesting new feature called Shader Pre-Caching.

Has anyone else noticed an issue with kernel 4.13.16 (I normally stay a revision behind) where multiplayer servers are blocked as if the firewall is enabled under xbuntu based distro's (of which it isn't)? It may only be source 2 based games that are affected.

I had this very issue under a number of titles, including Insurgency, and rolling back to 4.12.14 rectified it. Just an FYI if anyone's experiencing the same issue.

Last edited:
Upon further diagnosis, it seems the issue isn't related to kernel 4.13.6. However, when it faults restarting Steam fixes it. Odd.

GamingOnLinux had an interesting interview with the developers behind Helium Rain. One thing that stood out for me was their sales figures for the game. So far about 11% of it's sales had been on Linux. Far more than some other titles sticking to 1-3%. It's on sale on the Steam Winter sale in case anybody's still interested. Speaking of the Steam Sale, anybody picked up anythign from it yet ? My friend bought me Civ VI for Christmas, I picked up Tartarus, Black Mesa, The Challenge, Major/Minor and Sumoman.

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/artic...who-says-linux-gaming-is-alive-and-well.10982

Anyone know the most recent kernel that R9 290 doesn't have gaming regressions on?

Since I have brought my other computer home for good and I now have a good HP Z420 Workstation at work, I am probably going to install Ubuntu Linux on my 2nd computer and install Steam on that, among other gaming things. I personally like to play around, have fun and this is a good time to have fun again. (I have the computer hooked up to my 50 Inch Sony 1080p Bravia TV. :) ) It has an R9 380 so, we will see how it goes. Might even hook up my steam controller on it, since I do not really use it much, if at all, on my primary home computer.

Ok, Cybereality, maybe you or someone can help me here. I have Ubuntu 17.10 installed and working. However, the HDMI sound option is completely unavailable through my XFX R9 380 card that I have hooked up to my HDMI on my Sony TV. It is not even listed as an option in the sound settings and I so far, I cannot get it to show up. I have it directly connected and I am certain that the cable itself it good.

Please help, thanks. (I am having fun but, this is not a ready for the average user OS, that is for sure.) Had to go to the command line just to get Steam up and running.

Yes, I know all about this. Basically you will need to use the AMD Pro drivers to get HDMI audio. However, the latest driver is for Ubuntu 16.04. I tried for about a week to get it working on 17.10 and no dice.

It seems there was some debate about integrating AMD's audio code into the Linux kernel, and I'm not sure when (or if) that will be resolved. So you may want to use Ubuntu 16.04 for now.

I'd expect that AMD will update the driver when Ubuntu 18.04 releases, so that's not too far away. I'm actually liking 16.04, since the default desktop environment supports 4K resolution better.

Back