PCIe 1x video card with 2x DP 1.2 ports?

Quartz-1

Supreme [H]ardness
Is there a PCIe 1x video card with 2x DP 1.2 ports? Capable of supporting 2x 4K displays for general use, not gaming.

There is a tenancy for oems to make 1x cards using older chipsets. Why would they waste the cash on something modern when it's not going to sell, and performance will be impacted?

I can't find a single 1x card with a modern chipset.

Just cut the end of the x1 slot on the motherboard or get a riser. Cutting it seems like the best since you can still mount it easily in the case.

What is the entire story? Rest of the system specs for example and every display being driven.

Perhaps there is another way to tackle this issue.

The system spec is the one in my sig. I am aiming to have 3x 4K displays. Only one of which will be used for gaming.

Note that because of my cooler the prime x16 slot is unavailable.

If you're using PCIe 3.0, then the performance hit dropping to 4x speed will be NEAR ZERO, especially if you're only using a single GPU to game with.

Proof is in this article, where at the highest resolution PCIe 3.0 4x delivers 98% of 16x at the highest resolution! The higher the resolution, the less important the bandwidth is (because you are pushing less FPS, and thus requiring less bandwidth to drive things). There is a corner case where you might run out of memory and be more dependent on the PCIe bandwidth for texture streaming, but given your 660 Ti you won't be driving 4k with high texture or AA settings.

From your board's specifications:

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x16 (PCIEX16)
* For optimum performance, if only one PCI Express graphics card is to be installed, be sure to install it in the PCIEX16 slot.

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x8 (PCIEX8)
* The PCIEX8 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX16 slot. When the PCIEX8 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode.

1 x PCI Express x16 slot, running at x4 (PCIEX4)
* The PCIEX4 slot is available only when an Intel 22nm (Ivy Bridge) CPU is installed.
* The PCIEX4 slot shares bandwidth with the PCIEX8 and PCIEX16 slots. When the PCIEX4 slot is populated, the PCIEX16 slot will operate at up to x8 mode and the PCIEX8 will operate at up to x4 mode.
(The PCIEX16, PCIEX8 and PCIEX4 slots conform to PCI Express 3.0 standard.)
* PCIE Gen.3 is dependent on CPU and expansion card compatibility.

According to this, the three slots share the x16 PCIe 3.0 lanes, so you'll supply full 3.0 4x bandwidth to both slots. Sounds like a solution to me!

And if you're concerned about future performance upgrades, then you could always buy a replacement card with more than two DisplayPorts, allowing your slot to operate at the full 8x speed. They do exist, and I imagine they will get more plentiful as DVI gets phased-out.

Next time if you give us more information, then we can help fix your problem faster :D

Last edited:
Back