The 32 inch 4k IPS 144hz's...(Update - this party is started) (wait for it...)

Then just use the HDMI input. Lovelace doesn't have DP 2.1 outputs, anyway. 4K 10-bit @ 240 Hz is only 18.54 Gbps with DSC, anyway, so UHBR13.5 or 20 isn't needed. HDR overhead is 15% from what I've read, so that would put it up to 21.32 Gbps.

Yeah but that almost defeats the entire purpose of having DP 2.1? The idea is that with UHBR20, you would be able to run the full fat 4K 240Hz on next gen RTX 5090 without the use of DSC, thus enabling you access to DLDSR. At least that's what people had in mind when they wanted to buy the Omen. They wanted to be able to run the monitor WITHOUT the use of DSC.

80 Gbps are needed if you want to run 4K/240/HDR without DSC though.
Which is pointless. Besides, AMD's current generation only supports UHBR13.5, which has a max data rate of 52.22 Gbps. Uncompressed, 4K 10-bit 240 Hz HDR is 63.96 Gbps (55.62 Gbps without HDR), meaning there is no consumer gaming card currently on the market which can max out the monitor's capabilities without using DSC. It can only be hit while using 8-bit color.
Yeah but that almost defeats the entire purpose of having DP 2.1? The idea is that with UHBR20, you would be able to run the full fat 4K 240Hz on next gen RTX 5090 without the use of DSC, thus enabling you access to DLDSR. At least that's what people had in mind when they wanted to buy the Omen. They wanted to be able to run the monitor WITHOUT the use of DSC.
DLDSR works with DSC.

https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/nvidia-dsr-and-dldsr-do-work-with-dsc-monitors-sometimes
1709580571938.png

Reactions: elvn
like this
Which is pointless. Besides, AMD's current generation only supports UHBR13.5, which has a max data rate of 52.22 Gbps. Uncompressed, 4K 10-bit 240 Hz HDR is 63.96 Gbps (55.62 Gbps without HDR), meaning there is no consumer gaming card currently on the market which can max out the monitor's capabilities without using DSC. It can only be hit while using 8-bit color.

DLDSR works with DSC.

https://tftcentral.co.uk/news/nvidia-dsr-and-dldsr-do-work-with-dsc-monitors-sometimes
View attachment 639490

That's not guaranteed. It can work, but not on all monitors. And at 4K 240Hz I doubt it will since it already doesn't work on my MAG321UPX. If the monitor has UHBR20 and the RTX 5090 also has UHBR20 then DLDSR is guaranteed to work in that scenario at 4K 240Hz. This doesn't matter to me personally since I don't care for DLDSR when running at 4K, I feel like that's more of a necessity at 1440p, but being able to run 4K240Hz without any DSC in the near future is why people were so hyped up for HP in the first place.

The idea is that with UHBR20, you would be able to run the full fat 4K 240Hz on next gen RTX 5090 without the use of DSC, thus enabling you access to DLDSR
Access to (DL)DSR depends more on the monitor's electronics than its use of DSC. If the manufacturer wants it they can make DSR work with DSC.

Uncompressed, 4K 10-bit 240 Hz HDR is 63.96 Gbps (55.62 Gbps without HDR), meaning there is no consumer gaming card currently on the market which can max out the monitor's capabilities without using DSC.
Sure but such cards a) exist already in provis space and b) are coming to gaming space fairly soon. Monitors are bought for more than one year usually so future proofing here is reasonable.

Access to (DL)DSR depends more on the monitor's electronics than its use of DSC. If the manufacturer wants it they can make DSR work with DSC.

Well there are conditions to get DLDSR working with DSC. On my InnoCN 32M2V, it works but it's a 144Hz monitor. But can you possibly get DLDSR working at 4K240Hz? The pixel rate must not exceed the GPU single head limit so if that happens at 4K 240hz, no DLDSR.

But can you possibly get DLDSR working at 4K240Hz? The pixel rate must not exceed the GPU single head limit so if that happens at 4K 240hz, no DLDSR.
The answer to this obviously depends on the capabilities of GPU's "single head". It is completely possible that a DP 2.1 UHBR20 GPU may in fact be able to run DSR on a 4K/240Hz DSC display.

The answer to this obviously depends on the capabilities of GPU's "single head". It is completely possible that a DP 2.1 UHBR20 GPU may in fact be able to run DSR on a 4K/240Hz DSC display.

Guess I'll find that out once the 5090 comes out (assuming it has UHBR20).

DLDSR works on the Neo G8 which is 4K/240

Then this confirms it isn't just the GPU then but also the monitor side. But again my original point was, DLDSR is NOT a guarantee when using DSC, just because it can work does not guarantee it will. If no DSC is involved then there is no questioning whether or not you will have DLDSR, it's just gonna work.

Are there any 27" or 32" glossy Mini-LED panels coming out in the year ahead? Seems like lots of glossy OLEDS, but we are still stuck with dull looking matte IPS screens. :(

Writing to support is a waste of time, they answer with pre-built answers.
You need to write to CEO and to the display boss if you want to get an.answer.

Search on the internet for "Acer leadership"
Take their names, then write to [email protected]
So I did try this. It doesn't work for their CEO, guess he was getting a lot of messages ;)

Anyways, after some persistence someone at least informed me that an X32FP 2.00.0515 firmware will be released in the 'near future'. If so, I guess it's still getting supported and not EOL. It is also still available on Acer's Ireland store for €1,599.00.

Is the ViewSonic XG321UG still considered a good buy? Is there anything new coming up that might be better, with similar attributes?

Is the ViewSonic XG321UG still considered a good buy? Is there anything new coming up that might be better, with similar attributes?

If you value HDR above all else then yeah it's still a good buy, but not at new prices IMO. You should be able to get a used one for under $1k instead.

There is a BenQ 32" FALD monitor that should be available soon.

Mobiuz EX321UX
Being released in Japan only, it seems. The specs make it sound like these are leftover AUO M320QAN02.6 panels used in the PG32UQX.

What alternative would you suggest if HDR was a mid-priority, then?

The LG32GS95UE is looking like your best bet in that case. Unless HDR is a low priority for you, or you just don't care about it at all, then you shouldn't be looking at the QD OLED options. I'm not a hater, I own the MSI model and I'm speaking from actual user experience that the HDR on these is pretty bad. The only time it will look great is when you are playing a game with nothing but low APL content like RE4 Remake. Otherwise, the monitor either has absurd ABL in Peak1000 mode, or will be capped to 480 nits in TrueBlack400 mode so either way it's just a bad showing for HDR. The LG WOLED shouldn't suffer from ridiculously bad ABL and is also capable of 700+ nits on a 10% window so it will be the brighter overall and will probably be OK for HDR.

Being released in Japan only, it seems. The specs make it sound like these are leftover AUO M320QAN02.6 panels used in the PG32UQX.

The thing that made the Asus and Viewsonic pretty good was the physical GSync module. Highly doubt this BenQ will have one so it will probably be no better than an InnoCN, KTC, or all the other chinese brand mini LEDs but it will have the BenQ tax.

Last edited:
Has anyone here tried a LG27GR95UM? Specs sound very impressive. 27", 4k, HDR1000, 1560 local dimming zones, ATW polarizer, semi glossy, and G-Sync and Freesync compatible up to 160Hz. Apparently when released it had some issues with the local dimming and HDR content, but reading through the few Reddit reviews after the firmware update was pushed people are saying it tops the Innocn M27V2. Unfortunately there seems to be very little in the ways of reviews online, and I can't find a reseller here in Canada. Here is the display:

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gr95um-gaming-monitor

Has anyone here tried a LG27GR95UM? Specs sound very impressive. 27", 4k, HDR1000, 1560 local dimming zones, ATW polarizer, semi glossy, and G-Sync and Freesync compatible up to 160Hz. Apparently when released it had some issues with the local dimming and HDR content, but reading through the few Reddit reviews after the firmware update was pushed people are saying it tops the Innocn M27V2. Unfortunately there seems to be very little in the ways of reviews online, and I can't find a reseller here in Canada. Here is the display:

https://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-27gr95um-gaming-monitor
I would steer clear as it still has issues even with the firmware update. Such a waste of a great panel and backlight.

I would steer clear as it still has issues even with the firmware update. Such a waste of a great panel and backlight.
Oh that's disappointing to hear. :( Is this based on your own experience with the display or were you able to find a review of the panel?

Oh that's disappointing to hear. :( Is this based on your own experience with the display or were you able to find a review of the panel?
My friend gave it a try also after hearing about the firmware update resolving the local dimming issues but he says its still borderline unusable and went back to his PG27UQ.

I just bought a PG32UQX from Amazon warehouse and inside the box was a PG32UQ.

Ah someone got you with the 'ol switcharoo. I've seen that before. Customer buys X, returns a cheaper version of X to Amazon, Amazon warehouse doesn't catch it, next customer gets cheap version of X and not the real deal.

What's bizarre is they left the huge PG32UQX power brick in the box. Maybe they swapped their existing bad unit.

Amazon is a nightmare to deal with returns now. This will take 30 days to refund and who knows if they'll screw me by stating it was me who did the swap.

Reactions: Vega
like this
I just bought a PG32UQX from Amazon warehouse and inside the box was a PG32UQ.
Ah someone got you with the 'ol switcharoo. I've seen that before. Customer buys X, returns a cheaper version of X to Amazon, Amazon warehouse doesn't catch it, next customer gets cheap version of X and not the real deal.
Ya I won't do expensive things from Amazon anymore. Their QC is just complete garbage. They allow for shit like this, cross contamination of counterfeit goods, etc. B&H is my go to for AV stuff, including monitors. Mine I actually got from Walmart since they have it (online only) and they are easy for returns.

Last edited:
Every PG32UQX on eBay is on the verge of warranty ending. I think I've just settled on having to buy new at this point.

I finally got a hold of another PG32UQX (sold mine for $950 bought one locally for $750 lol). Man was I dumb to sell it. Nothing beats this thing IMO. This time even if something better comes along I'm just going to throw it in a closet like its a CRT.

I finally got a hold of another PG32UQX (sold mine for $950 bought one locally for $750 lol). Man was I dumb to sell it. Nothing beats this thing IMO. This time even if something better comes along I'm just going to throw it in a closet like its a CRT.
It's a hell of a monitor. Has its faults to be sure but on a whole man does it look good.

That's what I did with my Acer X27. Some monitors are just not worth selling.

Not exactly 1 to 1 but you can see that the pixel response has been cleaned up quite a bit since the launch version. Techspot on the left, my monitor on the right. The biggest give away which isn't super visible in my ghetto phone camera tracking shot is that all 3 UFOs demonstrate some inverse ghosting (look to the left of the UFO's feet) that the original pre 2023 monitors never did. Its so subtle that I can't see it in any game though.

Edit: It's so nice to just leave HDR on permanently. This is like 1 of 4 LCD's in existence that can pull that off without the desktop looking trash or causing some other issue.

Screenshot 2024-04-21 140710.png
_image0000040_.jpg

Last edited:
Not exactly 1 to 1 but you can see that the pixel response has been cleaned up quite a bit since the launch version. Techspot on the left, my monitor on the right. The biggest give away which isn't super visible in my ghetto phone camera tracking shot is that all 3 UFOs demonstrate some inverse ghosting (look to the left of the UFO's feet) that the original pre 2023 monitors never did. Its so subtle that I can't see it in any game though.

Edit: It's so nice to just leave HDR on permanently. This is like 1 of 4 LCD's in existence that can pull that off without the desktop looking trash or causing some other issue.

View attachment 649104View attachment 649103
601.jpg

So does it have a newer firmware? I was under the impression they never relased one.

View attachment 649179

So does it have a newer firmware? I was under the impression they never relased one.
There was definitely some stealth firmware updates at some point in production. This late 2023 produced one I have looks dimmer in super high APL stuff (previous one was blinding at times) and there is some strange ABL that can be recreated in the 3rd slider of the Windows HDR calibration app (entire screen dims down a notch after x amount of time).

It's still crazy bright compared to anything else but I don't think it's doing 1600nits 50% APL anymore. In exchange though the fan I can no longer hear and as I posted above it looks a bit faster in terms of pixel response and bloom is far more controlled compared to the horrendous launch version.

Reactions: Hypez
like this
There was definitely some stealth firmware updates at some point in production. This late 2023 produced one I have looks dimmer in super high APL stuff (previous one was blinding at times) and there is some strange ABL that can be recreated in the 3rd slider of the Windows HDR calibration app (entire screen dims down a notch after x amount of time).

It's still crazy bright compared to anything else but I don't think it's doing 1600nits 50% APL anymore. In exchange though the fan I can no longer hear and as I posted above it looks a bit faster in terms of pixel response and bloom is far more controlled compared to the horrendous launch version.
Oooof stop tempting me to buy one again....

Does it still do the orange glow thing? that absolutely killed it for me

If it doesn't I might have to pick one up again, maybe 3rd times the charm 🫠

Oooof stop tempting me to buy one again....

Does it still do the orange glow thing? that absolutely killed it for me

If it doesn't I might have to pick one up again, maybe 3rd times the charm 🫠
I remember people posting about the left and right turning orange under certain conditions but I can't remember how to recreate it. If does lemme know and I'll try.

I remember people posting about the left and right turning orange under certain conditions but I can't remember how to recreate it. If does lemme know and I'll try.
It would occur when I had a darker background with a bright object on it for example I would see it on the hardforums in dark mode. One way I remember replicating it for Asus support was go to a 60-70ish% grey scale screen and open a white box like notepad and move it around with the fald turned on. You would see you a yellow/orange glow like an inch off the sides as you move it around.

Asus support told me it was a fald anomaly that was essentially like a IPS glow caused by the extremely bright object bleeding into the near by grey scale zones on the panel. If that's accurate I have no idea just what they told me.

If they did dim it slightly it might no longer be an issue cause this was on both of my launch models that got painfully bright.

Back