terrible TPF

what do you mean by... If you reran the first line but still were not in the correct starting folder. do i have to open a terminal from that fah folder?

no, open up terminal and then paste in the first line, press enter. you will now be in the fah folder, paste in the other 3 lines one at a time from there

ok i got ya. ill try it when i get home and let yall know what happens
thanks again for all your prompt help

ok so heres what i did and what im still getting. i input each line individually and i still got the errors

chadserver@ubuntu:~$ cd fah
chadserver@ubuntu:~/fah$ wget "http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.34-Linux64-SMP.exe"
--2012-03-29 15:47:39-- http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.34-Linux64-SMP.exe
Resolving www.stanford.edu... 171.64.13.26
Connecting to www.stanford.edu|171.64.13.26|:80... connected.
HTTP request sent, awaiting response... 200 OK
Length: 314840 (307K) [application/x-msdos-program]
Saving to: `FAH6.34-Linux64-SMP.exe'

100%[======================================>] 314,840 17.9K/s in 18s

2012-03-29 15:48:01 (16.6 KB/s) - `FAH6.34-Linux64-SMP.exe' saved [314840/314840]

chadserver@ubuntu:~/fah$ mv FAH6*.* fah6
chadserver@ubuntu:~/fah$ chmod 755 fah6
chadserver@ubuntu:~/fah$ /fah6 -configonly
bash: /fah6: No such file or directory
chadserver@ubuntu:~/fah$ ./fah6 -configonly
bash: ./fah6: cannot execute binary file
chadserver@ubuntu:~/fah$

and when i do it without downloading the fah client

chadserver@ubuntu:~$ cd fah
chadserver@ubuntu:~/fah$ mv FAH6*.* fah6
mv: cannot stat `FAH6*.*': No such file or directory

youre missing the "." period

./fah6 -configonly

aka "Period"/fah6

Oh nvm, i see it

type ls in the fah directory and see what files are there

Need root maybe?

Try "sudo -s" without quotes first, then try ./fah6 -configonly. The $ at the prompt should change to a # after the sudo -s command.

chadserver@ubuntu:~/fah$ sudo -s
[sudo] password for chadserver:
root@ubuntu:~/fah# ./fah6 -configonly
bash: ./fah6: cannot execute binary file

same stuff

Total shot in the dark, but a quick search said something about running 64 bit software on a 32 bit install.

What's the output of "uname -a" ?

chadserver@ubuntu:~$ uname -a
Linux ubuntu 2.6.35-22-generic #33-Ubuntu SMP Sun Sep 19 20:34:50 UTC 2010 i686 GNU/Linux

It's 32 bit I think. I'm fairly sure it should say something like x86_64 in there someplace.

ok so what do i need to get it to run? or do i need to upgrade it to a 64 bit version?

I think you can still run the 32 bit version of FAH, but I don't think you can run SMP with it.

I'm not sure if you can update/upgrade to 64 bit without reinstalling. One of our Linux experts will need to chime in on that....

i dont have a problem reinstalling i want to get rid of windows and do a solo ubuntu os instead of dual boot. cause with windows installed on the hdd ubuntu is only showing 8 cores and 1 processor aswell. i know both processors work ive tested both of them successfully aswell as its only showing 3.xx gb's of ram when i have 8gb's installed.

no i followed it to the t i just didnt download the right linux version.

im downloading a 64 bit right now ill have to install it in the morning

Hang in there with the frustration :cool:
Attempting to install something via directions without completely understanding what the steps are doing is tedious.
I've used Linux on and off since it was only a "U" nix :D
And I still stumble around blindly sometimes.

It will be worth the effort. Mistakes often lead to knowledge!

good news all around. got the 32 bit uninstalled and the 64 bit installed. fah is up and running and system monitor is showing all 16 cores. id say its a good night

i had to take the bigadv tag off to get a core to actually start... right now im running a 6903 but the computer keeps restarting over night. ive disabled all the sleep timings and such on both ubuntu and windows. hopefully it quits doing that

ok i came home and it hadnt restarted but it was frozen after roughly half an hour to an hour of sitting. i dont know if this is part of the settings i have or a hardware issue or what

Back