terrible TPF

slider11

n00b
im running a project 6908 with smp and bigadv flags and im getting tpf's of 20-45 minutes which is giving me a terrible ppd of anywhere from 1-6k i know something has to be wrong for me to get times like that.

well i ran another non bigadv normal size wu i think it was 6947 and had a tpf of over 7 minutes for that which wasnt much better ppd still under 6k ppd

the wu didnt kill the core i stopped it and removed the que file so i could get a new one. its running 20+ tpf on 6097 aswell

do you have 10 work units completed ? what are you using that is reporting ~6k PPD? Linux or Windows host OS ?

windows 7. im using hfm which calculates on the fly and the folding at home bonus point calculator to determine roughly how many points and for tpf by looking at the log and seeing the times as well as hfm for tpf. no i just got the system up and running still trying to get my first wu completed

Are you showing 100% load on all 16 cores? It sounds like you are not running on all of them.

So HFM is saying ~6k PPD?

If you just got setup take off the big adv flag, however i think 6098 is a SMP, so 20+ min is off for that. While the client is running check to see if anything else is using your CPU, or if F@H has full CPU usage(or dam close)

check on the performance tab to see if your processors are all being used

bios shows 2 processors and 16 cores but core temp cpuz and everything actually in windows only shows 1 and 8 cores/threads... except device manager that shows 16 individual cores
but what is shown is being used 100%

I have the same problem running a3 units on my 2p l5639s

Horrid a3 units, and good a5 units. wu6985 gets 2:55 tpf on my 950 @4.0Ghz, my 2p gets 5:24 tpf

I make 50k on 6901, 68k on 03/04 which is reasonable for my vbox *nix setup

maybe a3 does scale well onto multi cpu setup's?? When i restart the garden on sunday i'll set them to stock smp overnight and see what i get.

Another thought - if running *nix have you applied the kraken to core a3?

what does task manager show thread wise?

As for SMP scaling, it is fine up to 24 threads in windows from what I have tested.

Could this be a "I'm not running Windows Server" problem?
I think regular Win will see 2 CPUs but will it use 16 cores?

Could this be a "I'm not running Windows Server" problem?
I think regular Win will see 2 CPUs but will it use 16 cores?

Not quite, he needs professional or better for windows vista/7 to see 2 cpu's. not sure on XP - not server.

You think he's only running home premium? If he is then that's the problem

do you think id have better luck running f@h in ubuntu in a VM? as far as showing all cpu's and cores i mean. or utilizing all of them rather

I think windows 7 pro and ult. will see 2 cpus and 256 threads. I'm pretty sure windows 7 home premium will only see 1 cpu tho.

Edit:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows7/products/system-requirements

PCs with multi-core processors:
Windows 7 was designed to work with today's multi-core processors. All 32-bit versions of Windows 7 can support up to 32 processor cores, while 64‑bit versions can support up to 256 processor cores.

PCs with multiple processors (CPUs):
Commercial servers, workstations, and other high-end PCs may have more than one physical processor. Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise, and Ultimate allow for two physical processors, providing the best performance on these computers. Windows 7 Starter, Home Basic, and Home Premium will recognize only one physical processor.

what version of Windows 7 are you using?

Edit: There is a thread limit but the of won't hit it.

home premium. i could download ultimate or profesional and install it cause i can get a product key for one of those but id rather run just ubuntu if thats the case

you will need native Ubuntu , currently windows will not see more than one CPU.

ok so it has to be ubuntu only or a higher end windows. so basically my tpf right now is reflecting only 1 cpu with 8 cores?

hmm still seems like i should run through these cores faster though. im surprised it even allowed me to do the bigadv tag if its only recognizing 8 cores. i think i tried adding the tag to my 2700k one day for giggles and it wouldnt even allow me to add it

Possibly it is just confused enough to let you try but not utilize the HW?

-bigadv wu availability is virtually non-existant for windows, even less so for the 8 core wu from 6900/1

you can add the flag no problems, it just wont pick anything else.....+ in windows as nathan said you wont get a big adv unit.

im installing ubuntu right now. i had some trouble going straight off the disk so im doing it through win7 and ill just delete win7 later or leave it as a dual boot

yep i already have that and ive been following it so far. im about to download fah now

ok i have fah downloaded and when i go to run the chmod ./fah6 -configonly command it pops up and tells me ./fah6 cannot execute binary file. when i look at the properties for fah6 it doesnt show an executable application... what do i need for this?

ok i have fah downloaded and when i go to run the chmod ./fah6 -configonly command it pops up and tells me ./fah6 cannot execute binary file. when i look at the properties for fah6 it doesnt show an executable application... what do i need for this?

You've missed a step in the guide:-

cd fah
wget "http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/release/FAH6.34-Linux64-SMP.exe"
mv FAH6*.* fah6
chmod 755 fah6 < I suspect this is the line you missed in step 8 of the guide

Then proceed with ./fah6 -configonly in step 9

See here's the thing with that. I straight copy/pasted that whole code in it downloaded and I noticed it didn't do the last 2 lines so I copy pasted those in. The first of the 2 lines gave me some error like couldn't be found or something to that effect and the chmod did nothing but bring up a new command line. I'll have to check what the exact thing it brought up when I get home

See here's the thing with that. I straight copy/pasted that whole code in it downloaded and I noticed it didn't do the last 2 lines so I copy pasted those in. The first of the 2 lines gave me some error like couldn't be found or something to that effect and the chmod did nothing but bring up a new command line. I'll have to check what the exact thing it brought up when I get home

I made it simple and long winded - i copied each line seperately so that i would know that the previous command had done its thing

^ This.
If the first line gave an error then the rest most likely will not work because you will not be in the correct folder.
If you reran the first line but still were not in the correct starting folder (one level above /fah) you will get an error again.
What ever you do you must be in the /fah folder before running the lines following or errors will occur.
I think that may be your issue now.

what do you mean by... If you reran the first line but still were not in the correct starting folder. do i have to open a terminal from that fah folder?

You can't copy and paste a bunch of lines at once and execute them. You have to copy and paste one line of code then execute it. Then do the same for the next line of code. And so on. Make sure you don't get tripped up by one of those lines of code that execute but at a certain point asks you to answer yes or no to procede.

Back