Ten Things You Didn’t Know Google Maps Could Do

Rofl-Mic-Lofl

For Whom The Bell Trolls
Lifehacker put together a list of some pretty neat features that most people don’t know about. I could see this one being a real life saver for some people:
"You can text GOOGLE with a message formatted as "Directions A to B," substituting a town, ZIP code, or street address for A and B."

There are so many google tricks it's insane. I use 1-800-Goog-411 all the time for calling local businesses.

The Google number for texting is 466453. I use it all the time :)

Another thing they didn't post is that you can also send your directions through email and to a car's gps system. (I know BMW have this feature).

Another thing I was pleasantly surprised to find yesterday was that the map search and directions history is available immediately across all devices. I.e. find the directions on your computer, go to your car-docked Android, use the Navigation app and you'll find the last place you just searched for right away.

Texting for the directions is awesome. Thanks! :)

On a side note, why is "texting" not recognized by the browser as correct spelling?

In my opinion, this texting for directions feature is the coolest one in that list.

In my opinion, this texting for directions feature is the coolest one in that list.

Except when you're lost because Google gave you the wrong directions. This happened to me yesterday trying to go to a wedding at some mansion up in Bel Air. It's located inside a state park, and Google didn't have any clue what to do with it, so it sent us to a mall right next door :(

But I can recall some times I could have used some directions, and didn't have internet, so this would be very useful.

I will be trying the Excel data-to-map functionality tomorrow. I wouldn't mind an alternative to MA MapPoint that I don't have to pay for. :)

Back