• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Tell us about your first overclock

another 300a fan here. I ran mine at 450 for 2 years without a hiccup, just had to put a 30cm fan against the case without a side-panel on during summer. Would happily play games at 70c without hanging. I'm buying a frame for it soon to mount it on my wall, my tribute to the best chip ever made :)
 
i guess my first was with an AMD K6 400mhz chip. I ramped that baby up to 440mhz... tried everything to get it up to 450mhz but no such luck.. and it was hotter than hell even before the overclock. After that it was dual celeron 366's @ 550mhz each on a BP6, then a pair of P3 700mhz @ 1000mhz on an Abit VP6... now I patiently waite for an Opteron 170 to arrive - hopefully it will be the best yet
 
My first was my current puter. My dad was a regulating freak and never let me touch a computer unless it was for school or something. We had a 386 and a 486 DX2 but my current puter is in my sig. I've gotten it up to 2.7 without a hitch. I do have a celeron chip lying around that I would like to try out. Need the rest of the hardware to do it tho.
 
I am behind the times, have been building pc for years now and have just done my first over clock. Took My P4 3.4 and have it running at 4.0. Also just overclocked my BFG 6800 to 415/1.06
 
wee96 said:
.

My first OC was a 286-8mhz, to 10mhz if I remember right.

We have a new leader in the greybeard catagory :D

Anyone got anything earlier than this?

[H] should give a prize for the oldest overclock :p
 
200mhz P1 to 225 or 233. Was dissapointed because I hit the max the BIOS let me OC... Not some cpu limit.. No jumpers either.

Was always worried about temps so it didn't stay overcooked for long.
 
My first overclock was on a good ol 4mb voodoo1 :D , those things fully rocked when seing opengl for the first time.
Did the k6/2 thing, p2's athlons ,xp's , 64's etc , pretty much overclocked every video card ive had.
 
I had a Pentium 90 that would run at 100 MHz, but it was actually slower due to the bus speed (50x2 instead of 60x1.5).

Had a Pentium MMX 233 that would run at 292 MHz stable.
 
My first overclocking experience started with a Intel 80286.

There was this magical turbo-button... :D

No idea how many MHz it was but with the button pressed it was an awesome acceleration. I guess something around 8MHz or so.

Well, my first real overclock was a Celeron 400. I was able to run it with 450MHz.
 
The Turbo button on old PCs was designed to SLOW the PC down! To 8Mhz. Some old ISA expansion cards didn't run above 8Mhz so the Turbo button was introduce to allow the system to be underclocked to make them work!

Oh they were daft old days! ;)
 
For me it was an unsuccessful PentiumII 300mhz overclock:

My techy mate who basically got me and my brother into computer's came over one day and told us about the whole overclocking thing. He didn't explain too much and was all too happy to let us fuck with our PC's.

In the blind rush to try it out, me and my brother did exactly the same thing; we overclocked the system bus from 66mhz to about 86mhz (or whatever the setting was) and instantly wrecked the data on our hard drives. Our PC's barely booted.


Not particularly [H]ard, but I've come along way since then.


Though my Dad could tell you guys a few things about "greybeard" overclocking;
He worked in a small computer firm literally during the very beginning days of computing and he's told me about how they'd unsolder a certain resistor and replace it with another of lower resistance to give them a 4mhz boost to 'god knows what' ancient IBM chip.

Seriously!

I've yet to take a soldering iron to any normally functioning piece of PC hardware so I guess I'm still a rookie.:p
 
I had a barton 2500+ and went from 1.8 to 2.2 all stock settings. :p
 
First Overclock was a Pentium 166 non-MMX to 200. Then dropped a AMD K6-2 266 into the same board (remember those days?) and got it to 350.
 
I *still* have a couple of 300As laying around, just for nostalgia. I have a system running right now on my LAN with a PIII doing 750mzh...I thinks it's a 600; I know it's overclocked, but I haven't opened the case on that system in years, other than to change the video card.

Those were they days, eh? :)
 
Pentium MMX 166 @ 83x2.5 (207.5, detected as Pentium MMX 210) done by accidentaly discovering the hidden 83MHz FSB setting on my old 440VX motherboard...... ran at that speed since day one since the hidden FSB setting was mislabled as 66MHz, it worked well so there it stayed!
 
N H O said:
prolly a geforce 2 :p

But not just any GF2, I bet it was a GT...or possibly the incredible Ultra!


My first OC hit right about that time period. I had a Duron 700 (I built on a budget and it was like $28 or something oem!). That thing got up to a little over 900 MHz, and for a while I had the top Duron/GF2 non-ultra 3DM01 score on the orb. The GF2 was a Gainward Golden Sample with the OC software right on the driver disk-that thing ruled at the time.

My most recent OC was also kinda neat and even more retro... I got my hands on a 440BX board, a Celeron 600 on fc-pga and one of those slotket things that you old-timers talk about :p I pumped up the voltage, and I have a 900 MHz, 100 FSB Celeron rig that is actually somewhat usable.
 
superkdogg said:
But not just any GF2, I bet it was a GT...or possibly the incredible Ultra!

I believe it was a GTS :cool:

Actually....I've been thinking about it alot since I made my first post. The 300A @ 450 was my senior year of highschool (1999). I remember purchasing a Geforce 256 (with DDR!!!!)that year. That's what was paired with the celery.

The geforce2 GTS didn't come until the oc'd athlon system ;)
 
my first was my 3700 San Diego, and it sucked big time. Maxed out at 2.5Ghz. My X2 is MUCH better!
 
Good call on the GTS. Nvidia quit using the 'S' on the newer ones, my mistake... but they were sweet back in the day, huh? ;)
 
My first overclock was a P100@120... don't think I ever tried OC'ing my 486's (didn't dare to yet back then)
 
First OC was a K6-2 333 to 366. W00t.

Next was a K6-3+ 500 to 550mhz

Next was a T-Bird 1.33 to 1.62.. had the fastest PC on the planet for a bit /sarcasim

And now, my 2Ghz Mobile 2600 clocked to 2.65Ghz all for $89 back when XP3200 2.4Ghz cost over $400.

Video cards.. Voodoo1 oced a few mhz.. I think to 110mhz if I remember right

Voodoo3 2000 overclocked to 168mhz (3000 speeds)

GF2 Pro... and now my 9700-pro from 325 to 395 on the core.
 
I overclocked a Pentium 200 mmx from 200MHz to 225MHz. I thought I was badass.....of course the processor got really hot, but never really crashed. Funny enough, I still have that board, processor, and memory in my closet somewhere.
 
33Mhz 486 overclocked to 80Mhz. I actually had active cooling on that sucker, too. (Window fan)

It lasted a couple hours before it popped. Aah, those were the days.

Edit: Other OC's -

P120 -> 133Mhz
C300A -> 450Mhz
Barton 800 -> 1Ghz (Fried)
A-XP 2600+ -> 2.2Ghz (Still going strong)
A64 3000+ -> 2.6Ghz (Still going strong)
 
does this qualify?

My cousin had an Apple II clone (a Laser III, I think) that he could overclock from 1mhz to 3mhz, at which it started getting hot. It was an easy built-in function though. He got it out and showed it to me once. There was a program that was really awesome back then: it displayed a simple 3d wireframe polygon rotating on the screen. 320x200 resolution. The 3mhz speed got it up to at least a mildly tolerable framerate, say 10fps. At the time my cousin was doing this he was about 12. No grey beard...

My first personal overclock was with this same cousin. A P1 120mhz to 200mhz, I think. "Rats, it crashed.", "Hey, here is a box fan!", etc. I was in middle school. :)
 
I too (like many it seems) learned of overclocking during the Celeron 300a days. I want to say it was an Abit BH6 (that later developed leaky caps) that I used. I upgraded from the Celeron 300a running at 450mhz to a Pentium III 900mhz...which wouldn't overclock FOR SHIT. My mother still uses the Pentium III (it's sitting here in my room, came home with my the last time I visited due to my brothers excessive PORNSITE visits and lack of any clue as to what SPYWARE and/or VIRUS are)...

That was the last Intel processor I have used. I acquired a Celeron 1.8ghz that I immediately sold for chump change via Craigslist...but that P.O.S. was never booted in my house. I run an ALL AMD house now with 5 computers, 4 overclocked and one underclocked (My HTPC rig is running an AMD XP 2100 at 1.2ghz utilizing a HSF that runs MAYBE 800rpm...for quitness).

I just picked up a DFI motherboard and a 7800GT from ZipZoomFly yesterday...will get it Monday...I am finally making the jump to PCIe...I am going to use the current A64 3200+ chip I have in my current box (it runs prime stable at 2650mhz) for now until I can swing a dual core chip...I can't wait to get that MB and Video Card...
 
Mine was an 800mhz coppermine based Celeron that I managed to squeaze 1120mhz out of on an ASUS CUV4X-E...that was my first home built PC that I built for myself.

I never really did find the limit on that chip either, I was afraid to push it beyond that.
 
My first OC was with a ti4200 in an old Dell computer :p My first cpu overclock was a 2.4c; got it up to 3.3ghz (and still using it now.) I guess I came to the game kinda late.
 
I think it was a duron 800 that I overclocked to 1ghz or something like that. I think I did it on an Epox board.
 
Hate to bring a post back, but I just got a Pentium 2 300mhz to play around with and I am a new to all this and trying to catch up. Does anyone have any resources or guides that I can look at so I can take a stab at this thing?
 
I can't be 100% sure about the speeds or even what the damn chip was lol but...

When I was building PCs and 386 was the current chip, I think AMD had a 386 40mhz or something like that. Those chips didn't take heatsinks at the time, you just stuck the chip in and it got good and hot. The mobo I was playing with had some sort of jumper adjustments that let it go a little faster I don't remember exactly how much but boy it got HOT really fast (the bare chip - and no CPU heatsinks really existed at the time that I recall.)

I had the mobo setup on a bench, no case, so I sat a cold glass of water on the CPU and I was at least able to partially boot. Now that I think about it more (edit is a great thing) I think I might have been able to boot a floppy and run Norton SI.EXE - no clue what the number was, but it was more than what it shoulda been, woot for me. :p Of course I didn't leave it like that, what with evaporation and all and lack of a case hehe. :)
 
sarbz said:
Does pushing the "Turbo" button count? :p

LOL!!! Yeah the "Turbo" button. Took me from 8Mhz to 16Mhz. WOOT!! I think that was on my first 286. My first overclock was my K6-2 350 oc'ed to 400!!
 
I messeed around with oter before, but the best one to recall was the Celery 300a. Those were so damn fun!!
 
D3v01D said:
We have a new leader in the greybeard catagory :D

Anyone got anything earlier than this?

[H] should give a prize for the oldest overclock :p

I may have him beat ( but I am only 29 :p )
My first overclock was a pentium 100mhz to 133mhz.
Man... that was the coolest thing!!! :D
My mom thought I was nuts, but my dad was really impressed ( I was maybe 7 or so at the time).

After that, it was a intel 200 to 233 then an AMD K62-3DNow 350 to 400 and so on.

D.
 
Bumped the bus speed of a Pentium 90 from 60 to 66Mhz OC'ing the proc to 100Mhz w00t!

Next went the dual Celeron route with OC'd 400s to 440-somethingish and then left Intel behind and had an Athlon C OC rig then my Athlon64 machine.

Now, awaiting shipping of Opteron 170 ;)
 
D3v01D said:
Just to see who here has grey hairs in their beard. :D

I will begin.
My first overclock was a 166Mhz Pentium I oc'd to 200Mhz. This was, I believe, before you could even buy a 200Mhz processor.


I too, bought my first and only "prebuilt" computer, a Gateway P166....I could not afford the 200 model....but....my friend bought an identical rig except he paid the extra for the 200mhz cpu...


What sucks for him, is that after a few days I found the multiplier jumper on the mobo and instantly had a 200mhz cpu (for free!) that never missed a lick. Hahahah...he was ticked....
 
blare said:
Hate to bring a post back, but I just got a Pentium 2 300mhz to play around with and I am a new to all this and trying to catch up. Does anyone have any resources or guides that I can look at so I can take a stab at this thing?

Do you have a pc to put it in? Or do you just have the bare chip?

If you have the whole pc, tell us more about it. Particularly the motherboard.
Do you have a manual for the motherboard?

There should be someone here that can help you.


 
Back
Top