Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.
My first overclock wan an Athlon64 +3500 from 2.2 to 2.5 with stock cooling and voltage on an Asus motherboard. But then again I just started overclocking the day before yesterday.
I uhh.. Never did the overclocking thing back when I had the old computers, I was just always in denial when my buddy had a better comp "oh uhh, I get crappy performance because of this.. oh wait no because of this..". Then I got my 2.4 'C' that Im still using (yeah, I started to overclocking thing a year ago.. but cmon, I was using a 300A Cel before this comp.. /flex!) and that christmas day I overclocked it to 3.2ghz.. And then Enter The Matrix was running like, in fast forward, it was trippy.. I had never thought about overclocking, or reading on it or anything, so I just broke out the bios on my DFI LanParty board, and shoved that fbs up to 250 and thought it was that simple. Oh, wait now I dont have any sound.. and I didnt use a divider because I've got the crappiest ram in the world, and now my games are sped up, not performance wise, but visually because of something.. I had a blast reseting the cmos, and trying it again, and again, and again... Ah, how I miss not knowing what I was doing.. I still have the PMs from the DFI rep that used to post here, when I was asking him questions about dividers and all that jazz, and what I should do.. I still dont overclock, I dont see the need to, but I also dont have the greatest equipment so I dont know what its like to have the best of the best, which doesnt fuel my fire for more power.
The oldest overclocks were stock, near as I recall. It was the turbo button that came with AT PCs. Knocked that speed up from 8 Mhz to 12... or 16 to 24 Mhz... something like that. Believe it was a 50% boost at the push of a button. Some pc's came with manuals warning of stability issues that might result in the higher performance mode.
My first Oc was when I was 9-10 years old.I had a geforce MX420 and I strapped 2 fans onto it and was able to boost the core 100mhz and the memory 50 mhz.
My very first CPU oc was at 14(my current age,also my first build) and I have a 3000+ S754 that I can currently have at 2.4GHZ.
well i got a job and saved up enough money to buy my own computer, p2 400, top of the line stuff... oced it to 448mhz 2.1v i think.... lasted a few days and hten computer wouldn't turn on $400 cpu or something dead.
So i went out and spend $300 or something on a p2 333 and ran it at 500mhz 2.4v lol.... think ran forever... years actually i gave it to my mom when i upgraded.. she had it forever
ANyways that oc was crazy, 2.2v was considered as high as you should go... HAH
I never overclocked until I built my first water cooling setup like 2 years ago. I cant remember what I got my P4 clocked up to. I had a 9700 Pro that I water cooled along with the p4 and I remember that I fried it somehow dont remember the details I think I just pushed the damn thing to hard and it just died like 2 months after I water cooled it. Fortunately for me I had the CompUSA warranty and got it replaced to a 9800 for free since they were out of the 9700s hehe.
Well I've been into computers in some form or another since my first Commodore VIC-20... but I never started overclocking until I built an AMD K6-2 350 (IIRC) and I remember being floored when the thing ran stable at 550mhz. Jesus that made Quake and Quake 2 run at like almost 2x as fast as stock!
It ran hot as hell though... Not quite Cyrix hot, but still pretty goddamned hot.