TechNet changes

heelix

[H]ard|Gawd
For all of those who picked up the Microsoft Technet subscription, you probably got an email that things were going to change some. Looks like today is the day.

TechNet Professional (download only) - renew price is $250.

TechNet Standard - DOWNGRADE - (download only) $150

The difference between the two seems to be 6 vs 12 complimentary Microsoft E-Learning online courses. They also dropped the two support calls you could make with the Pro edition and got rid of some of the Enterprise versions of software.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/bb892756.aspx

The standard price, first time in, is $200. Pro is $350. Last year there was a $100 discount on what is now the pro subscription. PROMO CODE for the pro version is TMCT040, knocks it down to ~$250 (thanks Justintoxicated)

Last edited:
yeah I just finally re-upped yesterday and the $150 version is pretty much ideal if all you're really doing is getting lots of copies of the software.

$150 to renew and all it does is drop Enterprise Editions, eLearning and 2 tech support calls, wow. This is seriously awesome for folks in it to try out the software! Now I know what I'm signing up for when Windows 8 comes out, see ya in year or two.

(Current technet sub. about to expire:()

Just for reference, a typical support call I believe runs $150, so just those 2 support calls alone make this worthwhile.

Just for reference, a typical support call I believe runs $150, so just those 2 support calls alone make this worthwhile.

But the forums are free... :confused:

People actually use their support calls?

People actually use their support calls?

People with more complicated issues. I know a guy who had an issue, and it took several days to resolve. It was treated as a single call, and they actually assembled a team of engineers in conference to help resolve it.

Not worth it for a home user, but for someone running a NOC or something they're quite valuable.

PROMO CODE for the pro version is TMCT040, knocks it down to ~$250 (Is it worth it then?)

I was going to sign up last night because I wanted to check out some enterprise software that I thought we could use at work, but I doubt they would go for it anyways.

Anyone know what enterprise software I would be missing out on?

Last edited:
Just re-upped as a standard vs pro account....made my decision to do so a lot simpler too.

I will gladly give MS $150 every year for what they are offering. It is just too much value for the money spent.

Yeah, that's the only thing I can think of too. v1.0 is doing the job for me though.

If you don't value the opportunity to upgrade even if it means completely ruining the current setup that is running fine, then maybe this product isn't for you. :p

My subscription ended in March, so this is timely as I am about to do a couple of builds.

thanks OP.

Hrmm my sub is up next month, I probably wont re-sub because there nothing coming out that's worth it. but still it is an amazing deal for all the software you get. To anyone thinking about this.. $150.00 for $1000's worth of software... What are you waiting for?

So tempting. I have never done TechNet before, but I am planning on putting together a WHS when vail hits, and I want to grab Office 2010. Given that = ~$200 right there, it's hard not to...

People with more complicated issues. I know a guy who had an issue, and it took several days to resolve. It was treated as a single call, and they actually assembled a team of engineers in conference to help resolve it.

Not worth it for a home user, but for someone running a NOC or something they're quite valuable.

Yea it ability to have MS come in and have their enginerrs look at an issue is nice to have. Mind you I can't tell you how many times they want to try to run a command to reregister every dll on the system to see if that helps. Sometimes that works, I've seen it really screw up systems through.

PROMO CODE for the pro version is TMCT040, knocks it down to ~$250 (Is it worth it then?)

I was going to sign up last night because I wanted to check out some enterprise software that I thought we could use at work, but I doubt they would go for it anyways.

Anyone know what enterprise software I would be missing out on?
Code valid on renewals?

So hard to resist...

My credit card bill is going to be scary this month, what with all the good deals I've been seeing lately.

If you don't value the opportunity to upgrade even if it means completely ruining the current setup that is running fine, then maybe this product isn't for you. :p

Oh, it's definitely for me but I'm thinking not this year after my account expires. I figure I can sign up every other year and get better value.

Code valid on renewals?

I'm not sure, I don't think so, it only seems to be working for the Professional.

$100 off so it's $250 instead of $250. But I'm considering just getting the standard anyways although I'm guessing that Win7 Enterprise Edition will be missing.?

Which is a better value?

I'm not sure, I don't think so, it only seems to be working for the Professional.

$100 off so it's $250 instead of $250. But I'm considering just getting the standard anyways although I'm guessing that Win7 Enterprise Edition will be missing.?

Which is a better value?
Shame. Kinda bites existing pro users in the ass, since it puts the new w/ code at the same price point as a renewal. Thanks for the love MS! :p

Im in need of my first copy of Win 7, should I get this vs buying retail?

Shame. Kinda bites existing pro users in the ass, since it puts the new w/ code at the same price point as a renewal. Thanks for the love MS! :p

Thats ok I think I will go with the standard version anyways. Should be more than enough and saves me $50.

Im in need of my first copy of Win 7, should I get this vs buying retail?

1 license $179 to $268 Windows 7 boxed Full Retail

or

10 licenses per product (somewhere in line of 80 keys, standard, oem (Starter) and N versions) $150-$350 Windows 7 full retail keys, but wait there is more like 10 keys per product of the most popular Microsoft products.

I think I would go with the Technet Standard, in fact I paid $370 after tax for Technet Plus and I think I got a steal.

On the XP side, you get 10 keys for *each* of these versions.

Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP Home Edition K
Windows XP Home Edition KN
Windows XP Professional
Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (FTW)
Windows XP Professional Edition K
Windows XP Professional Edition KN

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_XP_editions

Same goes for all the silly variants of Visa and Windows 7, with the exception of the Win 7 enterprise. (only one of those) Most of the server OS are single keys as well.

Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP Professional

Same goes for all the silly variants of Visa and Windows 7, with the exception of the Win 7 enterprise. (only one of those) Most of the server OS are single keys as well.

Dude, you forgot Windows XP Media Center Edition!!! Greatest version ever:p And what about the greatest OS ever, Vista!

Windows XP Home Edition
Windows XP Professional

iirc, my WinXP serials were all the same for the standard, K, and KN versions.
I need to make sure all the images are downloaded and backed up along with my serials before my subscription expires in 2 weeks.

Is there anywhere I can find a list of what pieces of software are offered?

Yes, what keys are included? I may just purchase if theres a ton of keys + software included.. tempting if that is the case.

Wait a second. So if I buy this $200 subscription I will get 10 Windows 7 Professional keys to use? And they won't expire in a year if I let my subscription lapse? I will also get 10 Office 2010 keys? That seems too good to be true.

Is there anywhere I can find a list of what pieces of software are offered?

Take a gander.

Wait a second. So if I buy this $200 subscription I will get 10 Windows 7 Professional keys to use? And they won't expire in a year if I let my subscription lapse? I will also get 10 Office 2010 keys? That seems too good to be true.

Not to good to be true, just a well kept secret. There have been many ways to get cheap software for a while either through student programs or whatever. How many people do you know who would spend $250 for one copy of Win 7? Now how many people do you know who would pay $250 for 10 copies of Win 7? All about who you are really.

win7 enterprise is not available with the cheaper subscription I just verified it. (didn't think it was going to be)

What's it's claim to fame?

Just like Professional but with AppLocker and Bitlocker, etc. Corporate level stuff that you probably won't use at home. But if the subscription comes with Win 7 ultimate then you can use those features anyway.

Back