Technet 25% off deal on now

Are those windows 7 Ultimate versions RTM? They have dates of 8-24-2009 as being the last time it was updated. The other versions of win 7 have a date of 10-22-2009 or later.

Are those windows 7 Ultimate versions RTM? They have dates of 8-24-2009 as being the last time it was updated. The other versions of win 7 have a date of 10-22-2009 or later.

Yes, they're RTM. Don't know why the dates don't match, but, I know it's RTM.

everything is listed twice... the old ones with the aug dates and the N versions are october. whatever N means...

everything is listed twice... the old ones with the aug dates and the N versions are october. whatever N means...

Edit:

Q: What is an N Version of an Operating System?

A: N versions are generally comparable to the non-N version except that Vista N versions do not contain Windows Media Player.

oh, i think ive heard that before. sounds like a EU revision... but doesnt that mean you just install wmp yourself and its peaches and cream?

I think the N version is without internet explorer or media player.

so... its 200 win7 installs then :D im just kidding around, you dont have a life if you use 200 computers

They have to include IE, since it's kind of core to the OS. However, I think it prompts you if you want it to be your default web browser or not (with options to use others, IIRC).

it is in the FAQ, i didnt see it. it just says media player, thats all. which is really, really not anything to worry about.

I just talked with the concierge and they verified what Eulogy stated. They are RTM versions.

makes it even more tempting. without question, you buy this now and you dont need to buy any more microsoft software until at least 2012+....

Windows 7 went RTM in August.

Windows 7 retail launched this month.

RTM=Released to Manufacture's

whats the real draw of WHS though? the way you can add a bunch of disks together as a single drive? because ive been using vista for my server now, and i gotta admit its really nice... im so familiar with it that it seems WHS might just be more trouble then its worth...

I am running a WHS box and I like it. I have 8 disks on a controller card. The stuff I don't want to loose has folder duplication enabled.

Also, you can install a client on your desktop(s) or laptop(s), it will back up your data, and, in the event of a disk failure, you can do a restore. I have not done a restore. I have used the built-in backup client.

What I like about the file sharing capabilities, is, if you have a user account for each machine, say, in a household with a family, you can set folder permissions for each user. I also setup a dummy user1 account for when guests come over.

I use my whs mainly for storage.

First time Technet subscriber here since a couple months ago. I installed WHS on a "spare" computer and added some 1 TB drives. Saved my bacon two weeks ago when my wifes laptop with Vista failed. I simply restored it from the server from the day before (it backs up every night). 45 minutes later it was like it never happened. :cool:

Windows 7 went RTM in August.

Windows 7 retail launched this month.

RTM=Released to Manufacture's

I am running a WHS box and I like it. I have 8 disks on a controller card. The stuff I don't want to loose has folder duplication enabled.

Also, you can install a client on your desktop(s) or laptop(s), it will back up your data, and, in the event of a disk failure, you can do a restore. I have not done a restore. I have used the built-in backup client.

What I like about the file sharing capabilities, is, if you have a user account for each machine, say, in a household with a family, you can set folder permissions for each user. I also setup a dummy user1 account for when guests come over.

I use my whs mainly for storage.

:/ i do easy file backups as it is, and vista can assign individual users to folders...

can WHS run regular apps like orb and skype? i guess i should really play with it and see what its all about, i just dont see how it will make my server any better then it already is...

:/ i do easy file backups as it is, and vista can assign individual users to folders...

can WHS run regular apps like orb and skype? i guess i should really play with it and see what its all about, i just dont see how it will make my server any better then it already is...

WHS is great. Here's the storage sub-forum sticky thread. Lot's of Q&A in that forum about WHS.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1390750

thanks, i found my answer.

Will a TV Tuner card work in WHS?
~Yes and no. There is no WHS drivers for tuner cards, however, you can use 2003 drivers if they are supported by your tuner. WHS is simply a 2003 operating system with the WHS application overlay. If it supports 2003 you should have no problems.

definitely sticking with vista.

Vista and server do not go in the same sentence.

A buddy of mine runs a 12tb whs box and then a 12 tuner vista box. The vista box is used solely for recorded tv.

Is your vista box backing up each PC on your network?

why do i need each pc backed up over my network? all my main files i use reside on my server.... all my network pc's never have anything important on them. the server backs up those important files it has too....

seriously, the backup features are the only reason i could see wanting to use WHS. but since i dont need that, and i DO need tv recording capability, vista is best in my case. i appreciate the feedback though, if there are any other reasons to switch i do want to know, im just at a total loss onto the pro's of it for me,.

Will a windows home server 32bit work with windows 7 64bit machines?

Subscribe to technet and get all MS software, think its 10 licence for Windows 7 ultimate

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/default.aspx

well worth it imo, the price for me is just a little more than buying one retail boxed windows 7 ultimate, this way I get the library plus 10 ultimate keys

(wish i'd known about this sooner, hence the post)

YMMV, but with the result I'm having at their website currently...
It *strongly appears* that it's only for the Technet Plus *Direct* package!

No discount applied with the "TNWIN7RTM" code for the pack that comes
with the DVD's each/every other month. (What can I say, I'm still a sucker
for having the original physical media in cases like this.) :D

Regards,
Sprks

I am now a member of Technet. This deal was too good to pass up.

is it just me or is the download speed for any version of windows 7 dated 10-22-09 really slow?

every other OS downloads quickly

Do you need to renew your technet subscription each year? meaning if you sign up this year and not sign up the following year, do your keys become invalid at that point?

Do you need to renew your technet subscription each year? meaning if you sign up this year and not sign up the following year, do your keys become invalid at that point?

Keys never expire. You'll have to renew your membership if you want to download programs after your one year membership runs out, so get what you want before it expires. That's my understanding of numerous posts on the subject.

Is anyone else only able to download Windows 7 @ 56k speeds on technet? I haven't gotten higher than 7kb/s and it usually kicks my download after like 300mb. I had no problem downloading Vista or XP @ 500kb/s

Is anyone else only able to download Windows 7 @ 56k speeds on technet? I haven't gotten higher than 7kb/s and it usually kicks my download after like 300mb. I had no problem downloading Vista or XP @ 500kb/s

I had no problem downloading both 32 and 64-bit versions. Use IE, because that will use Microsoft's downloader, and it seemed faster for me than Firefox.

didn't have any issues here, maybe server got busy? try later

Loving it, got windows 7 ultimate 64bit and office 2007 ultimate, just going through all the house machines switching from vista to win7

Yes I only can get 56k speeds and it kicks my download after a while.

Download Microsoft File Transfer Manager... You can google it and it'll take you directly to the install package site.

Use IE (I know... I know...) and log into your technet subscription. When it asks you in enable/run the active X control for the Microsoft File Transfer Manger allow it to run.

I've tried download managers through firefox and it's a PITA (have to download all over, trouble connecting etc). But I have the Microsoft File Transfer Manager set up on one of my drone machines and it resumes broken downloads. I just let it run over night and get all the goodies that way.

Hope this helps.

Dead already?!?!?! *anguish* nooooooooooooooo

We're sorry, the following error(s) have occurred:
The promotion code entered is no longer valid. If you have another promotion code, please enter it here.

read the entire thread, do the math, get ginned up for the idea of diving back into ms products again (figured I'd give WHS, 7, WMP, and some of the servers a try after moving to a mix of other products over the years)

"The promotion code entered is no longer valid. If you have another promotion code, please enter it here"

So much for being available through the 31st - but reminds me why I left microsoft in the first place.

Back