Team Fortress 2 Idler program punishment

grow the fuck up, "grinding" has never been a required part of tf2. if you don't want to do the stupid achievements then you don't have to, you don't need them to unlock the weapons. the minimum amount you need are regular achievements that just happen in the game. like "get 20 headshots" or "make 5 backstabs in a row". I know this for a fact because that's how I got all mine, never once did I even pay attention to the achievements while I was playing.

Yeah, this.

Everytime I got a new weapon I was genuinely surprised. If you feel the game is grindy, it's because you're making it that way.

people talk about "grind" as if it took a lot of time to get these weapons. I've played some 50 or 60 hours total since the spy vs sniper update and I have all weapons, either through achievement or random drops.

If I wanted to just get the weapons that are actually worthwhile, I could do that in half the time.

And let's be real here and stop with the hypocrisy: people who are invested enough in the game to get an idler for the drops are not the people who are "too casual" for the "grind." It's the hardcore people who needed the guns before everyone else to strike their epeen...

Most of the achievemnts will get unlocked through random chance over long periods of play, some you will never really get unless you're trying very hard, some are counter intuative, like ubering a scout, just very dumb.

Most of the achievemnts will get unlocked through random chance over long periods of play, some you will never really get unless you're trying very hard, some are counter intuative, like ubering a scout, just very dumb.

Yes, but those are not required to get the unlock-able items. Those are more for people who like goofing off to get achievements.

Since the drop system was put in you can just play the game.

But now instead of playing, people idle -_-

I've seen some people with over 200 hours played on TF2 in the past 2 weeks, and I know they're just idling... =/

Oh well, as long as they don't go AFK in servers I'm playing in, I honestly don't care...

grow the fuck up, "grinding" has never been a required part of tf2. if you don't want to do the stupid achievements then you don't have to, you don't need them to unlock the weapons. the minimum amount you need are regular achievements that just happen in the game. like "get 20 headshots" or "make 5 backstabs in a row". I know this for a fact because that's how I got all mine, never once did I even pay attention to the achievements while I was playing.

the random drop system is just the result of years of incessant fanboy dipshits whining and bickering non stop until valve finally snapped, and went crazy. that's why it's all broken and screwed up, they just wanted to do something, anything to get people to just shut the fuck up and play. obviously it did not work, so they will be fixing this in patch after patch for the rest of eternity.

I did grow up, I stopped playing stupid grinding games with obnoxious punks like you screaming in voice chat all the time.

I did grow up, I stopped playing stupid grinding games with obnoxious punks like you screaming in voice chat all the time.

Yes, the acme of maturity: the "oh yeah? well i don't shut up, i grow up...and when I look at you I throw up" forum post.

TF2 is srs bzns - don't you forget it.

less QQ more pewpew.

Why the HELL do people care so much about HATS in a VIDEO GAME?

That's exactly the point. Who cares if you run a lightweight, unobtrusive and completely legal idling program to acquire them? How does this affect Valve in any way? Or the other players? Or the player himself? People talk about how it's "cheating" to do it, but subverting a pointless system is in itself pretty pointless, so why get your tits in a twist over it? Cheating an irrational system is not inherently bad and people in the modern world would do well to remember this.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I didn't use the idle program to get some ridiculous hats. I used it for that first week when they still tied getting new weapons to idle hours instead of letting you just do the achievements for them.

People play this game? :confused:

There is a drop system in an FPS? Interesting but also sounds incredibly stupid and annoying.

That's exactly the point. Who cares if you run a lightweight, unobtrusive and completely legal idling program to acquire them? How does this affect Valve in any way? Or the other players? Or the player himself? People talk about how it's "cheating" to do it, but subverting a pointless system is in itself pretty pointless, so why get your tits in a twist over it? Cheating an irrational system is not inherently bad and people in the modern world would do well to remember this.

It's cheating because you didn't EARN it with the sweat of your brow!
lol

Obviously I am being sarcastic. I quit TF2 when the achievement system introduced the grind and made it so that some are more equal than others. Achievements rewarded those who spent more time with better weapons which would make up for lack of skill.

The original TF2 premise was awesome, achievements ruined it, and I wish I could get a refund for the cash spent on TF2.

The thing with achievements is people want them for the e-peen. They need to have something that most people don't want. It makes them feel elite and "better" than everyone else. The longer you can make people grind the longer they are likely to keep playing. It's no different than MMO's. You level up your character as fast as you can so you can be better than the rest.

Pretty lame on Valve's part again. The funny part is server owners are banning people on sight for wearing halos. There is also a server mod to make it say "FAG" above your head in place of the halo. Also 10k idlers at any given time is like 1/2 or 1/3rd of the community, not 4.5%. Adding the randomized drop system into TF2 was probably the worst idea ever.

couldn't agree more. Why would you expect anything other then idlers with a ridiculous system like that. Might as well just give everyone all the weapons and let people customize to fit there tastes.

Tired of mmo shit in my fps's

Obviously I am being sarcastic. I quit TF2 when the achievement system introduced the grind and made it so that some are more equal than others. Achievements rewarded those who spent more time with better weapons which would make up for lack of skill.

Not really, all of the gun upgrades were unlockable but just playing the class for a while. You never had to grind or do anything to get them which was fun. There were always a few achievements that you had to grind or get a friend to help out with but the important ones are doable by just playing.

Also, the weapon upgrades do not unbalance the classes per se. A few are overpowered in some ways but overall they just offer a new way to play that class. Stock snipers are still just as viable, same with every class. Using the new weapons comes with a price.

I dislike the drop system as there is no point to it. Just make people play that class for a while and they will be able to unlock everything.

Because you have the inalienable right to a special hat in TF2. It's hilarious.

I even donned the halo, even though I have 2 other hats from normal drops while playing, just to see if anyone would bitch or cry over all talk. Across 2 dozen servers over several days, not one bad comment, ban, or any extra targeting outside the norm.

Hats honestly aren't the issue for most of us. The problem is how Valve handled everything. It's impossible to say that Valve isn't taunting the community with their petty actions. If they had an issue with the idler, they should have just stopped it from working and moved on. Instead they decided it would be better to troll their own customers.

how can anyone attack the drop system at the same time they defend using an idler is beyond me.

And let's be real... idlers werent the casual, once a month players. They were the hardcore who wanted everything as soon as possible.

I just cant believe the nerdrage over hats... from people who actually are pretending not to care about them.

Regardless of the "punishment," TF2's still a great game. I idled, didn't receive a halo, still don't have a hat, no complaints. Wished I had a hat? Sure. Does the fact I don't have any hats make the game any less fun? Not really.

^^^^^^^^^^
this.

I think everyone was wiggin' out over the "Scarlet Letter" implications of the halo-less that they were cheaters. The pubs aren't less friendly now with the halos in place- this is a big tempest in a teapot.

The game's still a blast.

Back