Target Clearance 500GB WD Elements External HD For $34.98

Mike211

[H]ard|Gawd
I got a 500GB WD Elements External HD for $34.98 on Clearance at my local Target reg price was $69.99

P1010822.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, that's a good deal. This one is powered by USB only, correct?

That's not a bad deal just for the bare drive. I'll have to check my local Target.

Yes USB only.

Hmm? I thought that 2.5" and smaller external drives only need the USB power as power. But for 3.5" external drives, they require a power adapter to function, with USB solely for data transfer. Or would this drive use two USB ports, one for power and the other for data?

Hmm? I thought that 2.5" and smaller external drives only need the USB power as power. But for 3.5" external drives, they require a power adapter to function, with USB solely for data transfer. Or would this drive use two USB ports, one for power and the other for data?

I used the power of google to find an answer for you...

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=757

The picture clearly shows an AC adapter input.

Great price, but Target clearances usually vary, meaning there's a good chance your local Target(s) will not be offering the same clearance deal.

Worth a shot checking if you're nearby or already there though.

I picked up the same Elements version but 1.5TB for $85 shipped after discounts from Dell not too long ago (they gave me an additional $5 discount for a long wait), transfer speeds are around 26-28 MB/s, which is really good for USB.

I wonder if WD has trouble moving product because of that Smartwave (or whatever its called). It was an Autorunning virtual CD with software that you couldn't completely disable until recently.

I was ticked to say the least. Talk about not understanding your customers at all.

The elements line should be free of it though.

OP that's a great deal! nice find

unfortunately like others have noted, not all Target stores are created equal which is why I don't usually bother with them

No matter the store... Best Buy, Walmart, Target... we NEVER seem to get the B&M deals in New England. :(

Dam I will have to check out target. Anyone know if you can pull out the Hd out of the enclosure. Use the drive and enclosure separately?

Looks like the same enclosure as the 1TB; You can pop the bottom off and pull the drive out and replace it. I tossed the 1TB into my server and tossed a 160GB into the enclosure. It's not a very good enclosure, but it will get the job done as long as there isn't too much abuse.

I got the Xbox Wired Controller on clearance at Target about a month ago for $19.99. Might have to check this deal out as well. Would be a good upgrade for a laptop I only use top browse the net/download with! Thanks OP.

PS I'll post if I find them here in Richmond, VA.

Extreme YMMV on this deal.

I just got back from Target (in Mount Vernon, WA at the moment) and they DID have one, and it WAS on clearance...

...but for $48.99.

Not such a hot deal, here, it seems.

EDIT: Just saw that someone posted the same thing earlier in the thread. Yeah.

I just got back from Target (in Mount Vernon, WA at the moment) and they DID have one, and it WAS on clearance...

...but for $48.99.

So we take Newegg for averages here and then say we are $20 less on the surface, add a little over $4 for taxes (Arizona for me like 8.3%) and we end up with $53 or so overall. I still think that is pretty warm. If you are going to strip for the drive though, then just order directly.

So we take Newegg for averages here and then say we are $20 less on the surface, add a little over $4 for taxes (Arizona for me like 8.3%) and we end up with $53 or so overall. I still think that is pretty warm. If you are going to strip for the drive though, then just order directly.

True, it's not a terrible deal by any means, but the only reason I was going to check it out is because $35 was a pretty amazing deal. ~$50 after tax doesn't seem so great to me, I can typically pick up a similar external drive on the FS/FT forum for less.

...but for $48.99.

Thanks for saving me a trip. Its a small interwebz.

Grabbed the last one at the 28th Street Target in Grand Rapids, MI for $35. Thanks OP!

None in Roseville, Ca. They had at least 6 at >$50 over a week ago and passed, when I went back today all were gone. Starting to wonder if it's an Employee, or just a horder, as everytime I see these items on clearance at the fist stage (ie ok deal) they sit. Next time I see someone quote the price dropped they all dissapear that same evening.

None in Roseville, Ca. They had at least 6 at >$50 over a week ago and passed, when I went back today all were gone. Starting to wonder if it's an Employee, or just a horder, as everytime I see these items on clearance at the fist stage (ie ok deal) they sit. Next time I see someone quote the price dropped they all dissapear that same evening.

I think the very same thing pretty much every time I go in to look into one of these deals. I guess you can't blame them. They do work retail after all. :p

The one on Elston in Chicago had none on sale, the one on Roosevelt had none in stock, only a blank spot with "clearance" on it. Didn't actually have any other sort of tag.

Back