Tagan Says [H] Reviews are Paid For.....

I am very surprised they closed the thread,and that they have not canned Benson,and made an example of him.As well as apologize to Kyle. :eek:

Seems to me a lot of stuff was said in that thread over at the Tagen forums.

In fact I particularly got a goof laugh from GalvanizedWanker --
http://www.tagan.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130&page=5

actually it`s not suprising that H would rate the tagen as they did.
They have a reputation for crapping on excellent PSU`s and propping up other brands.

They also have a repuatation for thinking their way is the only way.

They also have tried to spread the misconception that they are avery important PSU testing outfit.
They have even gone as far as to say that most companies whose PSU doesn`t do to well contact them wanting to make things better........yeah right!
Nobody on your Hardocp has an EE degree and these companies are going to come crawling asking for another chance?

Som epeople think they are more important than what they actually are.....sad

What Kyle and associates be wrong? heaven forbid.

They people at Kyles site want other to actually believe they are unbiased in every way when reviewing a PSU.

That just is not the case.

Many times they have there mind already made up before they even get to the guts of the PSU and do there so called testing.

If I may nobody on there staff has any sort of degree or training per say in electrical engineering.

Their reviews are mostly enuendo and pure unadulterated caca!

Then I see a very truthful quote--
Quote:
i tihnk its funny how hardocp tries to publicly embarass other companies all the time, really it comes down to childish forum trolling and immature emails...says alot about its owner don't you think?

I see that you have hardocp 100% pegged!

Then we have another one by GalvanizedWanker -- Quote:
I would like to see you guys ship a sample to jonnyguru and compare the results to the [H] Enthusiust review. I mean, of all the people you should be comparing methods with, you should at least look to someone who has the means to PROPERLY TEST the unit.

Why is that? You actually believe that colussion between sites does not take place?

You see Paul Johnson -HardOCP PSU Editor aka Spectre is actually a mod on johnny`s site!

Collusion...noway----yeah right!

You all know that Johnny is retired. Now if Johnny was to come out of retirement for one more review that would lend alot of credibility where it is sorely needed!

Too funny dude I spilled my coffee!!

*Removed Quoted Trolling* -Paul_Johnson

About Johnny, we all trust him. The reason why can be found in the PSU forums here. Johnny, and others, have done alot of helping of people. It's not about the websites, it's about the people. Johnny, Spectre, and others in our commuity have earned our trust.

The [H] and it's crew does not shy away from controversy. They have done alot of service to the enthusiast community as a whole along with many other people. Sometimes the right thing isn't the easy thing, and we all know Kyle and crew don't do the "easy" thing.

What I am trying to say is that there is no reason to bias a PSU review. Opinion doesn't matter at all in that type of review. It's cold hard facts, scientifically done and presented. The bottom line is, if you paid extra money for a 1300watt PSU, it should be a 1300 watt PSU, not a 1000watt one. Otherwise why pay for the 300watts that are not there?

Now if you think JohnnyGuru would be in cahooots (Spelling) with [H], then what about Silent PC Review? They test PSU's the same way as the [H] and JohnnyGuru (by the way, the site is still active with it's other reviewers).

Everyone is acting like this is a turf war. LOL, it's a peice of rebadge electronic electronic equipment. Tagon didn't make it. They contracted with a OEM supplier. Companies bitch about bad reviews all the time, so what. What companies do not do is make off the wall accusations of fraud. That Benson dude should be shitcanned. He plays it off as if he were a regular forum member, well he is there representing Tagon, it's his status. You can't turn that on and off at will.

Met-AL states-- Everyone is acting like this is a turf war. LOL, it's a peice of rebadge electronic electronic equipment. Tagon didn't make it. They contracted with a OEM supplier

So there is another PSU that is made exactly like the Tagen?

People throw that word rebadged around as if any PSU that is made by another company for somebody else is rebadged!

Even though we know that corsair Contracts out to other companies that doesn`t make Corsair PSU`s rebadged.

For that matter antec also contracts out....so does PC Power & Cooling.....

A PSU is NOT rebadged just because it is contracted out to be made by say another company!

Peace!

I suppose you have a point even if you seem overly excited about it. If the product is a design exclusive to a particular customer, it would be oversimplifying to call it merely rebadged. Not that such a fine distinction is essential.

However, I doubt that was the main thrust of Met-Al's point. I think he was trying to point out that it was both illogical and unwise for Tagan to invest personal emotion in defending a product they didn't make, as if it was their "baby" when it wasn't. They could have easily passed the buck to their supplier and gained a little credibility by saying something along the lines of "We're terribly sorry this happened and we'll put the heat on Topower to fix it--they've let us down and we will protect you, our customer, by making sure they don't do it again."

Instead they came on all "How dare you rip on OUR product! WE made it great like WE always do, you're stupid, you're corrupt, and your mother dresses you funny."

A PSU is NOT rebadged just because it is contracted out to be made by say another company!

Actually that is a good point. IIRC Tagan does have their own engineers. So, I'm not sure we can lay all the blame on Topower for this unit's performance. But, Antec and Tagan are two different animals - I've still seen no proof whatsoever Antec doesn't rebadge, and plenty of proof they do.

I can't help feeling like I know that GalvanizedWanker guy's writing style from somewhere :rolleyes:

Benson said:
Hi Guys,

Wow, this has really gotten lots of attenion. I am sorry for not able to respond or taken a look at this sooner. Our internet service provider has been down until next week. I am using home pc to do work stuff.

I just want to say that I am simply expressing my own views about the review and defending for our company just like what they are doing with their website. It wasn’t meant to lead to any judgment. I am just like any of our forum member expressing their points of view and comments.

Tagan will continue to make high quality products with consumer's benefit in the end. Who knows, maybe one day your thoughts about us will change. Whatever product you choose for your system, if you are happy with it then we are happy for you. Thanks!

And they dutifully closed the thread. Whether it was at the behest of someone upstairs, or voluntarily we'll never know. Shall [H] follow suit since this thread has gone far OT?

Actually that is a good point. IIRC Tagan does have their own engineers. So, I'm not sure we can lay all the blame on Topower for this unit's performance. But, Antec and Tagan are two different animals - I've still seen no proof whatsoever Antec doesn't rebadge, and plenty of proof they do.

I can't help feeling like I know that GalvanizedWanker guy's writing style from somewhere :rolleyes:

Yeah but......Topower based units have been flaky for a number of brands that do and don't have input so IMO they are starting with a shaky foundation and trying to build a house on it when they should be getting a better foundation beforehand.

Taken from their German site:

"Our simple reason to give TAGAN a birth:

We are a group of professional technical guys living in different countries –Germany, Japan and Silicon Valley (USA). All of us have had a couple of negative experience implementing Power Supply (PS) into systems. It`s really frustrated, time consuming and also risky! By a very valuable opportunity, 2001 in Taipei`s Computex show, all of us met each other at a dinner party, we occasionally sat together and discussed about the power supply problems.

Based on our professional background and know-how, we suddenly all decided to study more about power supply and conduct some testing for finding out the best one. After almost one year`s teamwork in dicussing, sharing and developing, our international combo team has designed out the ulsome power supplies for the PC as well as all the various systems. Consequently, all of us are become the founders of TAGAN. We are more than happy to share these products and experiences with you.

TAGAN´s strongest foundation - The best international professionals
• The best power supply thermal-cooling and low-noise professional from Germany
• The best power supply design professional from Japan
• The best system-level power supply technical advisor from Silicon Valley (USA)
• The best power supply manufactures from Taiwan and China"

Sounds very nice doesn't it? I bought into the hype right when they started and have bought/used/using many Tagan PSUs. Even when the lost doctor tested their first supply and it blew up, I just thought it was a one time incident.

Now, several years later, all my Tagans have begun to fail due to bad caps. They used and are using crap brands which are known to fail. I even bought two brand new Tagans a month ago beacuse I needed some PSUs with a poweful 5V rail. Guess what? They still use second rate components. I voided my warranty just to check what was inside.

What about their nice talk about power supply problems? What about all the hype about their superior technology when, more or less, all there is to it is a Topower made unit with questionable quality?

This thread has been very enlightening and as a side note my thanks for all the nice work you do at testing hardware your own way and standing up for it. That includes when you worked out new methods testing graphic cards.

Schwarz the tagan fanboy boy left 1 thing out in this post

http://www.tagan.com/forum/showpost.php?p=2292&postcount=36

I have a 650W running 2 8800GTS one striker extreme with a C2D 4300 at 3.7 with 1.6v and ram at 1131 at 2.2v one x-fi fatal1ty 4 vantec tornadoes one sunbeam reobus controller my cdrom drive 2 flash card reader one floppy drive.
+ my mach 2 GT.

http://www.bjorn3d.com/forum/member.php?u=2150

PSU-Mushkin XP-650 650W :D

Same thing (Mushkin, Tagan, BFG 650W.... Topower.)

I guess you would know there the same way before i would

but tagen didnt get the cash for the psu mushkin did

I guess you would know there the same way before i would

but tagen didnt get the cash for the psu mushkin did

True.

I do agree that you caught him in a lie. He's using a Mushkin, figured it was the same as a Tagan and decided to fib because it looked better for him/Tagan in the moment.

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=875&num=6

Here is a review of the same power supply put up against the TT 1200W back in January. They also found too much fluctuation in power, and rated the Thermaltake higher. They concluded that the Tagan was flashy and had a nice finish, but the Thermaltake was the real workhorse.

Tagan needs to face the facts that it just doesn't perform as advertised.

That isn't the only issue, though. The real issue, considering the behavior of their employees, is that not only does it fail to live up to what it advertises, Tagan apparently has a philosophy that top products get great reviews because they spend more on advertising and bribing reviewers than on building a quality product. That is a much bigger issue. Bad news travels fast, and this story is just getting uglier and uglier for Tagan.

I was wondering how long it would take Benson to ban me :rolleyes: i was just having a brutally honest conversation via PM with him -_-

Kyle comes across to me as a true Texan. I say it should be him and Benson at 20 paces with pistols. :p

Kyle comes across to me as a true Texan. I say it should be him and Benson at 20 paces with pistols. :p

Benson would shoot him as soon as he got the gun... so thats not such a great idea... he doesnt seem like an honorable person at all... and the tech world would go to hell without kyle lmfao

0mega I was wondering how long it would take Benson to ban me i was just having a brutally honest conversation via PM with him -_-

It`s easy to pop into a forum and try to sound all cool.....
Am I being too brutally honest?

It`s easy to pop into a forum and try to sound all cool.....
Am I being too brutally honest?

i wasnt trying to be cool :confused: i was SERIOUSLY trying to offer some advice on how to not alienate the enthusiasts this PSU is targetted at... i just didnt cut any corners and was quite blunt and to the point with my comments (but nothing rude. not a single curse word. )

I don't need to have some company tell me they have paid reviews. I already knew that and that's one of the many reasons I feel [H] does a shitty job with reviews. There are far better places to get reviews.

lol, you go read those reviews :)

I don't need to have some company tell me they have paid reviews. I already knew that and that's one of the many reasons I feel [H] does a shitty job with reviews. There are far better places to get reviews.

then why the hell are you here? no one gives a shit if you think [H] is paid for or that there are better sites, truth be told, they are the ONLY ones who test real world gameplay and one of the few that properly do everything else. If you dont like them, GTFO and stop wasting Kyles bandwidth.

I'm only here because this isn't their review section.

[H] has a poor method of reviewing things. They're paid off in most cases and use asinine methods of comparison. Like their video card comparisons where they compare the performance of a video card while not using the same performance settings for different cards in a game. It creates useless statistics unless you do the same specs for every card.

If you dont provide proof of the above, thats libelous speak and could get you banned.

[H] has a poor method of reviewing things. They're paid off in most cases and use asinine methods of comparison. Like their video card comparisons where they compare the performance of a video card while not using the same performance settings for different cards in a game. It creates useless statistics unless you do the same specs for every card.

[H] does vid card reviews the way they do to give us a better idea of how well a game actually plays on a given vid card at the settings they think most people would play the game. So 800x600 is not a res they bother to bench much around here. They also include apples to apples benches in all vid card reviews, so I fail to see your problem in this regard.

Their apples to apples benches seem to jive with what the majority of other reviewers at other sites get. So, if they are being paid off, they are doing a piss poor job for their "clients".. Since you admit to not reading the reviews, I guess you would not know any of that.

I am glad that oral diarrhea is not contagious. Continue to troll if you like.

Proof? show me one review that's been paid..

You can't.

Ok, so what method exactly would you use for doing power supply reviews that is superior to the one currently in place? As always I am interested in hearing new ideas on what can be done to make content more relevant to readers in evaluating how a product performs in relation to how it is marketed.

As for being paid that would be rather unlikely given that a number of our sponsors have been on the ugly end of a number of reviews. For instance OCZ, PC Power and Cooling, Ultra, etc. A number of non-advertisers have been on the receiving end of some very good reviews such as FSP, Seasonic, SilverStone, etc.

At the end of the day we work in a decentralized manner and I have no contact with the advertising end of business so I really don't care if it is an advertisers product or not...if it doesn't pass it doesn't pass. End of story. If an advertiser gets upset because of a bad review my best advice is market a better product. If a non advertiser gets upset my best advice for getting a good review is to market a better product. It really is that simple, I don't care who you are when you send me a box, all I care about is how the item in the box does in testing which I share with advertisers and non-advertisers alike in order to work through any issues and to help pinpoint problems they may not have thought of or seen.

I will let B. C. Forbes, the founder of Forbes magazine, share his wisdom on this one:

“Books [or useful tech sites] are like a mirror. If an ass looks in, you can't expect an angel to look out.”

Back