T[H]readripper Crew

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
Just put together a 2950 with 96gb of ram, loving this thing. Its doing some crypto chores, but thinking of running some BOINC in the background. As an ubuntu 16.04 newb, how hard is BOINC to setup and use just some cores?

Painless- did it on a Ubuntu Solus install for the holiday run. But I'm mostly posting to ask, why not 18.04?

Just put together a 2950 with 96gb of ram, loving this thing. Its doing some crypto chores, but thinking of running some BOINC in the background. As an ubuntu 16.04 newb, how hard is BOINC to setup and use just some cores?
It’s easy to set the % of cores for BOINC to use using the BOINC Manager GUI. It’s located under preferences.

Very easy to do. After you get it installed and you need help just ask.

The new 2990WX box is up and crunching as of last night. I am running it at stock clocks, letting it do its own overclocking. Seeing some instability now, which appears to be memory-related. I've got 4x16GB of G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4-3200 CL14 in it, but it doesn't seem to want to run stable at 3200. Was running it at 1T Command Rate and tried 2T and Auto. Setting it to Auto seemed to help, but it still had some instability. I have now clocked the RAM down to 2933 to see if that stabilizes things. May have to increase the SoC voltage if this doesn't work. May do that anyway if it gets me back to 3200 speeds.

As for the Liqtech II 280 cooler, I am pretty happy with it so far. Keeps the 2990WX at ~34C at idle and ~66C when crunching 64 threads of Acoustics and WCG work (26C ambient). I did replace the stock fans with Noctua 2k RPM units, because they will never die and move more air than the stock fans. I just hope this AIO lasts as long as the various Corsair AIO's I've used over the years. I have a H100i that has been running for 4 years and is still going strong. Would be nice to get that kind of longevity out of this Enermax.

Last edited:
Are there any Thread Ripper deals for Black Friday?

I'm looking at a Ryzen 2700X at Microcenter which appears to be on sale now for $250. They have an original version of the TR on sale.

Yes, MicroCenter has the 1950X for $480 and then there is the motherboard bundle for $30 off. Is that what you refer to?

I don't see it for a plane jane $450.

Here is the ad scan for Friday / Saturday / Sunday at MC.

https://www.bfads.net/stores/micro-center/ads/black-friday/page-1

Six pages total. I don't imagine that the Ryzen or the TR will get cheaper this week? I would like a newer TR.

I have a Ryzen 2700X system priced out at $942. Micro Center has black friday pricing available right now. In store pickup only ... as always.

ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO
P_setting_000_1_90_end_500.jpg

AMD X470 ATX Gaming motherboard with M.2 heatsink, Aura Sync RGB LED, DDR4 3600MHz, dual M.2, SATA 6Gb/s, and USB 3.1 Gen 2

The board is for a new build for my daughter who games quite a bit. I plan to get her doing some DC'ing on this box. I don't have any modern systems running at this point. I am still running an Intel 2600K which has done years of DC'ing in the past.

Yeah if you don't want to go the cheap Gen 1 route, I think Zen 2 will be worth the wait. My guess is more next Summer though. They seem to do the August-October window for TR right?

My next build will be a current version TR (like the 2950) or the next generation of TR. What do you think of my 2700X build?

Code:
AMD Ryzen 7 2700X 3.7GHz 8 Core AM4 Boxed Processor  $249.99

Samsung 970 EVO 1TB TLC NAND M.2 2280 PCIe NVMe   $219.99

ASUS Crosshair VII Hero AM4 ATX AMD Motherboard
$223.99

G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16GB 2 x 8GB DDR4-3200 PC4-2...
$169.99

Subtotal $874.94
In-store Pickup $0.00
Tax $67.81
Grand Total

$942.75

(I had two USB sticks on the bill as well... I removed them, and they were less than $10 total.)

I've got my eye on a video card and PSU, but I cannot get black friday pricing on them at this time.

I also need a new case, but I will have that shipped. The rest of this stuff I can carry on the airplane when I fly home this weekend.

Individual build specs would be a good start.

Once we get into sprints or challenges, performance numbers per project associated to builds would be the next step.

Some of the things going in where questions about memory speed impacts, perhaps creator v. game mode - those types of things.

Edit: We'd want to correlate those numbers versus the most optimal apps to be running per project.

Someone bumped - so I answer.

My humble contribution:

1950x - 4.0 ghz @1.268v
MSI Pro Carbon
32 GB (2x16gb) RipJaws V 3200 @ 3066 on stock volts (yuck, but I refuse to pay the gold price on B-die)
Gigabyte 1080
960 Evo
Enermax AIO CPU cooler - does well, if it doesn't take a dump on me.

Seems that's the important stuff.

My uses: Netflix, mostly. Some pretty [H]ard word processing, too.

I am up to 8 TR boxes now, after building my 2970WX yesterday. All are used exclusively for crunching various BOINC projects.

1 - 2990WX
1 - 2970WX
1 - 2950X
5 - 1950X

All are cooled by Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3's w/extra 140mm fans. All also use the Asus ROG Strix X399-E Gaming motherboard, a Samsung 970 EVO 250GB NVMe SSD, either 4x8GB (32 thread machines) or 4x16GB (48 and 64 thread machines) of G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4-3200 14-14-14-34-CR1 Sammy b-die memory, a Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000W PS, inside a Corsair 750D Airflow case and running Win10 Pro. GPU's are a mix of EVGA 1070 ti's (6), 1080 ti's (3 now, eying a 4th), and 2080's (6).

Back