T[H]readripper Crew

• Thread starter Deleted member 88227
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 88227

Okay guys, some of us got some good deals on a TR 1950X. If you have a 1950X (or any other TR) please let us know your experience. The motherboard you are using (how well it overclocks, what RAM is compatible with it) what RAM you are using (did you overclock it, if so does it provide a benefit in any of the projects?) and what cooler you are using (How cooler and how high of an overclock did you get?)

Any other important beneficial information will be helpful as well.

RFGuy_KCCO phoenicis tayunz I know you guys have TR setups.

haha too late for me i already ordered everything

Edit: but yeah tips and shit are hugely welcomed

For those that i did not tell already, this is what i decided on

Gigabyte X399 AORUS Gaming 7
Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 <-- gonna buy the extra fan
G.SKILL Flare X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4 2933 - F4-2933C14Q-32GFX
CORSAIR RMx Series RM1000X 1000W

Things i already have:
samsung 970 evo 512 M.2 & 860 evo 512 Sata
1080ti (i have a few so i will see what looks best)

Still deciding on a case but i think i am gonna cram it in a Fractal Design Meshify C and go with 3x 120 intake and 1x120 and 1x140 in the top / back for ventilation

Last edited:
I am very curious to the sensitivity of low latency ram e.g. DDR4 3200 CAS14 vs 3200 CAS16, in particular.

Pretty sure that's the same board phoenicis uses and he's not happy with them for whatever reason.

He told me it was good except it wouldn't let him drop voltage below 1.2 without ryzen master. I plan to see about running 3.7GHZ or so and don't think i will be in the low voltage range he was talking about.

The 1950x setup currently is:
Asus Strix x399-e
4.0Ghz @ 1.3v
I run at CAS 16 because it's a Trident Z kit (4x8GB) that I got because it was all they had when Ryzen first came out.
Notes:
1. This is under a custom loop.
2. This is my daily, so its not really tuned for DC.
3. Seems to be less stable the last couple of sprints, so I may have to have a toned-down bios save to run for sprints.
4. I think I have some headroom to drop vcore further.
5. The reason I haven't extensively tuned this setup is because this board gets stuck in cold boot hell where it won't display video and I have to reset the CMOS and move ram sticks around just to get it to boot again. So not the most friendly for trying out some fringe settings.

So I haven't really tuned this rig for DC at all, I don't know if I'm getting the most out of it for sprints. I have mixed feelings, because the board allowed a really easy 4.0 GHz OC at a modest vcore but at the same time it can be fickle if I tweak anything.

All three of my TR builds are identical and use the following (soon to be a fourth, as I have no will power - new one will be exactly the same as the other three, except it will have a 2950X, instead of a 1950X):

CPU: TR [email protected] (using offset voltage at -.03725 = just under 1.1v vcore at full load)
RAM: 32GB (8GBx4) G.Skill DDR4-3200 F4-3200C14Q-32GTZ @ 14-14-14-34-1T (getting ~75GB reads in Aida64 mem test - as much as the $$$ hurts, I would recommend springing for this speedy RAM to feed TR)
MB: ASUS Strix X399-E (I have not seen the cold boot issues that tayunz has experienced - full disclosure: I am partial to ASUS boards - Every computer I've built since 2008 has used an ASUS board)
SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO NVMe
Video: EVGA 1070ti SC Gaming Black Edition (running at 100% power limit - all defaults)
Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP3 w/ second Noctua NF-A15 PWM fan (keeps temps at ~60deg C at ~25deg C ambient)
PS: Seasonic Prime Ultra 850W
Case: Corsair 750D Airflow Edition

Running SETI SSE4 WU's on all threads w/ 1 SETI GPU task running pulls ~410W from the wall.
Running SETI SSE4 WU's on all threads w/ 2 PG PPS Sieve tasks running pulls ~450W from the wall.

These were the easiest, most trouble-free builds in my memory. Put everything together and they all fired right up, installed Win10 and all were crunching within a couple of hours of first power-up. I would definitely recommend my builds, or similar, to anyone building a TR box.

Pics here: Pictures of your DC rigs

Any specific questions?

Last edited:
RFGuy_KCCO what are you using for the extra fan, and did you have to buy a extra fan clips to attach to the heatsink?

Edit: This has been a frustrating ordering experience in general getting these parts. Decide on MB... goes out of stock as I'm finalizing my cart. Decide on ram... most 3200 4x8gb and 4x16gb kits are out of stock. Toss in the ram incompatibility and the dual rank and single rank speed issues, and it is oh so frustrating, since I don't know for sure it'll work.

Last edited:
I used another Noctua NF-A15 PWM, which is what comes with the cooler. The necessary extra clips come with the cooler.

Nice.

Ok, so i'll be rolling with a Asrock X399 Taichi / G.Skill DDR4 3200 CAS14 -32GTZKW / Noctua NH-U14S TR4-SP core.

TR @ 450w out of a 1600w unit on a 1800w 15a/120v circuit leaves me with ~900w to play with after following the 85% load rule.

Cheap 1080 Ti's or perhaps RTX 2070s?

Last edited:
Ordered everything for TR #4 today except for the CPU (2950X) , since it won't be released until Friday. I am also re-configuring my farm as part of this purchase and retiring my two 4-core boxes (an ancient Q9450 and an i5-4670K). When all is done, I will have 180 CPU threads, 2 HD7970's, 1 1080ti, 1 980ti, and 6 1070ti's crunching for the [H]orde.

Need to build a second HTPC.. My bedroom HTPC has a i5 2400 and 1080 in it. Over powered because it crunches when im not watching stuff or gaming lol

I will need the whole setup. Mobo, ram and CPU. All my stuff crunches lol

Ah, I see you need it for a HTPC. For that use, I'll charge you the shipping cost. :D

That's fine. I can find a motherboard. And steal ddr3 from something.

It's a good CPU. Never saw high voltages. Mostly ran PrimeGrid for the last few years at 3.8GHz.

Just to add on input for the Strix board, because the way the slots are placed you won't be able to mount 4 dual slot GPUs. Which might be a factor for some.

Well my 1950X showed up at work today as well as the rest of my build parts. Thankfully my manager is a nice dude and let me leave half way through the day. Gonna put it together right now, just in time for the sprint

FedEx wouldn't deliver mine because no one was home. Fucking bastards!

Well its still a mess of wires but its up and crunching.

Skillz that is another reason i deliver stuff to my work

1535765704610402761967.jpg

Woo look at there there! Gonna get my TR build up hopefully this week.

I feel i may be switching out cooling to one of the Enermax AIOs due to the height of that Noctua HSF....

Woo look at there there! Gonna get my TR build up hopefully this week.

I feel i may be switching out cooling to one of the Enermax AIOs due to the height of that Noctua HSF....

Yeah its huge. I am using the 3mm offset and i think its just enough to clear the first PCIE slot, but its awful close. Then at the top i am less than half an inch from the 140mm fan i put in. I almost couldn't install the fan. On the ream side of things the fans on the cooler are completely blocking the first dim slot and its snuged right into the heatspreader of the ram towards the IO panel side.
I don't have any plans to add more ram to this so that should be ok.

Edit: i initially purchased the Enermax 360 AIO to go in the front of this case but then i started reading reviews on it and it had a ton of reports of failures after 6 months or less so i would be wary of that cooler myself...

I just now am seeing these corrosion reports for the Enermax TR AIOs. I see TR II versions of this thing but i dont trust it.

Danggit

Bought the mobo on Friday from MC. Going to get a case Monday or Tuesday. Ram will be in Wednesday. Hopefully it'll come together well. I'm going to use the Noctua heatsink for now.

yo, don't do it. I had 2 of those and they both didn't even last 2 months. The fan start to make noise after just a day, and I'm not a guy that can be bother with PC's fan noise. It's the noise sounds like the fan blades is hitting some of the fin on the radiator or something that can wake you up at the middle of the night and find a Sledgehammer and wack the hell out of it. The pump failed after 2 months (at least for me, I've seen reports of others about 6 months or so).Noctua NH-U14S TR4 is way better than that piece of crap AIO even with just one fan. If you plan to overclock, invest in a custom loop if you want to DC at a higher speed.
Just my 2c ... honest opinion from cruncher to cruncher.

Edit: I meant to quote apt1916's post on the Enermax 360 AIO. Sorry I'm not familiar to the forum's function.

Last edited:
yo, don't do it. I had 2 of those and they both didn't even last 2 months. The fan start to make noise after just a day, and I'm not a guy that can be bother with PC's fan noise. It's the noise sounds like the fan blades is hitting some of the fin on the radiator or something that can wake you up at the middle of the night and find a Sledgehammer and wack the hell out of it. The pump failed after 2 months (at least for me, I've seen reports of others about 6 months or so).Noctua NH-U14S TR4 is way better than that piece of crap AIO even with just one fan. If you plan to overclock, invest in a custom loop if you want to DC at a higher speed.
Just my 2c ... honest opinion from cruncher to cruncher.

Edit: I meant to quote apt1916's post on the Enermax 360 AIO. Sorry I'm not familiar to the forum's function.
Yeah that's kind of my sentiment on any AIO not just the enermax. Always try to get a solid heatsink for something that is gonna run 24/7. I've had zero problems with my enermax, but sounds like there's enough out there for people to think twice about messing with it.

Thanks all for that input on the Enermax AIOs.

I am gonna just got with a H150i. I know the cold plate isn't optimal, but i feel it'll be ok.

I was originally intending on getting the Noctua TR4 HSF from up above, but it totally won't fit in a 4U and i don't want this setup out in my ambient (in my personal box here) since it'll be crunching non-stop.

Edit:
Pulled the trigger. On order:

Asrock X399 Taichi
G.Skill 32Gb (x2 16) F4-3200C16D-32GTZKW (The CAS14 stuff is nice, but not going to drop 100+ more for it)
Corsair H150i + TR bracket

Edit: Corsair TR4 Bracket

Last edited:
Back