System will not boot with Wifi M2 card installed

Secretweapon

Weaksauce
Got a weird issue on one of my machines. I wanted to add a M2 AX201 wifi card to the setup (Asus Z390-P with i5-8400.) The system will not boot with this card installed. Can't even turn the power on. I've only needed to change network cards in Laptops before and they always just worked. Latest Bios is installed. The board is supposed to be certified with Intel CNVi. Is there a setting I need to change in BIOS? Or if someone's seen this before... Thanks.

That wifi module requires Intel's proprietary CNVi interface, which your motherboard claims to support. But if the system is not even powering on with the card installed, it sounds like a power rail is being shorted to ground.

Intel helpfully doesn't list any compatibility charts for CNVi, other than it exists and which products of theirs use it. People on Amazon buying CNVi wifi adapters say that you need a 9th or 10th gen Core i series CPU for it to work.

Yea I ordered an AX200 instead. Reading up on the laptop forums it seems like AX201 is CNVi2 and it only works with 10th gen or above. Thank guys.

Back