System suddenly won't POST - tried all the usual suspects.

Åndhrimnir

Limp Gawd
Hi all. Sorry for the amateurish questions. After two years of smooth sailing you get rusty at troubleshooting...

Tonight I booted up and was annoyed that my volume was low. It happens occasionally - for some reason everything is quiet even when every knob and slider is maxed. But this time, it didn't go away on reboot. I have an offboard Creative soundcard and, on a whim, I launched the check for updates utility. It downloaded a non-critical update and told me I needed to reboot for it to take effect.

I did. My system is now stuck on the first BIOS screen. "Press F2 for setup, F11 for boot menu" - that one. It doesn't respond to keyboard input, so I can't launch setup. I shut down and cleared the CMOS - same result. I hit the reset button - same result. Unplugged all USB/etc peripherals, secondary monitors, etcetera. Booted. Same result.

After the first time I hit the reset button, all the system fans went on high, which is typical (at least for my build). However, they didn't go back down. Every time I boot now it's like a windtunnel in there. And it stays that way until I give up and power off again.

I didn't have time to do a bench test tonight - I'll pull all the cards and extra RAM out tomorrow and see if it boots barebones (it's a RAID array though, so I can't lose that complexity or it won't have an OS to boot from...).

In the mean time, has anyone had any issues like this? I can't remember if specs are in my sig, so here they are:

ASRock K10N780SLI-x3 WiFi motherboard
2x2GB G-Skill DDR2 SDRAM
AMD Phenom 9850 BE CPU (not overclocked)
2x 512MB EVGA 9800GTX+ cards (not SLI - driving extra monitors)
Raidmaxx 730W power supply
3x WD 6400AAKS drives

Thank you, to anyone, for your help... I really want to get my system up and running again.

-Andhrimnir

Back