System Shock Remastered Demo Available June 28th

looking pretty decent so far. i'm sure being a fan of the original will have an impact for me, but i'm eagerly looking forward to tomorrow

anyone who never played the original might not appreciate a lot of the old school systems...from one of the reviews I read:

"When I say that the System Shock Remake is a fully authentic recreation of the original game, it also means that its issues from back then are still there and have become more noticeable than ever...first off, the game has an awful problem when it comes to its objective structure...while the game expects players to act on their instincts, it certainly feels like quite the heavy ask to make players remember what was said off-handedly by a staff member in an audio log to progress

Of course, this also means that you will be bound to make mistakes a lot of times since you can drop key items, meaning that the random item you dropped a few hours ago to save space in your inventory could suddenly take relevance near the end of the game...now you're forced to backtrack and figure out where the hell you dropped said item since it won't respawn on the place you found them but rather wherever you dropped it..."

"When I say that the System Shock Remake is a fully authentic recreation of the original game, it also means that its issues from back then are still there and have become more noticeable than ever...first off, the game has an awful problem when it comes to its objective structure...while the game expects players to act on their instincts, it certainly feels like quite the heavy ask to make players remember what was said off-handedly by a staff member in an audio log to progress

Of course, this also means that you will be bound to make mistakes a lot of times since you can drop key items, meaning that the random item you dropped a few hours ago to save space in your inventory could suddenly take relevance near the end of the game...now you're forced to backtrack and figure out where the hell you dropped said item since it won't respawn on the place you found them but rather wherever you dropped it..."

That's a motherfucking massive gameplay element that we just don't get anymore, why would anyone want it gone?

Somewhere in a box I have all my game notes from actually writing shit down.

That's a motherfucking massive gameplay element that we just don't get anymore, why would anyone want it gone?

that's why I said "anyone who never played the original might not appreciate a lot of the old school systems"...people that only played games from the last 15- 20 years might not appreciate the lack of hand holding

I loved that shit. I adored Morrowind for allowing you to take down your own notes with an in-game diary. These days it's almost always just a pre-generated checklist for the player to follow with an arrow pointing where to go.

Did anyone who played the regular beta/demo and the "Backer Beta" notice any significant differences? I played a little under an hour and a half of each and they seemed mostly identical. Just wondering what I missed (not that it matters much with the full game finally releasing today - I'm curious is all).

These are the two I'm referencing:

1685453358171.png

Not 100% but one of them is just an earlier demo (beta, I believe).
Thanks...I went back through my Kickstarter updates and it appears to me that the Backer Beta might be a "full" version? On the Feb 2023 update they said that the Backer Beta was coming and that we'd be able to play the full game from start to finish. So maybe the Demo (e.g. earlier beta which was made available to everyone, not just backers) is primarily just limited in scale (i.e. an actual demo) while the Backer Beta is a less polished version of the full game?

Steam reports that the SS Demo is 4.97 GB while the Backer Beta is 7.7 GB.

Not that it matters much since the full game should be unlocking any minute now, but again, I was curious. :)

At least it's not a Mark Jacobs game that guy played everyone I'll try the game on my break but I guess nobody plays it.

Got GoG backer key this morning. Only quickly installed it and ran it, but I checked the most important option (invert Y in game + invert Y in cyberspace) and it's there. The original did all sorts of messed up things to my head because invert Y only applied to the game and not in cyberspace. :)

It's great, looks great, runs great (5160x2160 @ locked 120fps otherwise it goes above my refresh rate of 144Hz lol.

I'm playing on default difficulty but cyber is on one step easier so that I can see waypoints on the map as cba with backtracking too often. Constantly having to tidy up my inventory as I have a habit of picking up all the bowls and crisps....

This is definitely kind of old school. Save Often....Like i have to get my mindset back to a older time of gaming. So much progress lost because I would just forget to do it.

they definitely did this right. its a perfect way to take the old game, make it look and player better but not lose any of the charm of the old game. I hope someone does this to SS2 they do it this well or I will be burning a studio to the ground.

This is definitely kind of old school. Save Often....Like i have to get my mindset back to a older time of gaming. So much progress lost because I would just forget to do it.

they definitely did this right. its a perfect way to take the old game, make it look and player better but not lose any of the charm of the old game. I hope someone does this to SS2 they do it this well or I will be burning a studio to the ground.
It's funny because I recently read some reviews of a recent Pokémon game and quite a few of them were leaving a bad score because there is no autosave functionality. "I lost 3 hours of gameplay!"

It's sad when any dev charges 60$ for a remake lol.
Dead Space remake should not have been $60. $49.99 at most. Still waiting for it to hit <$40 on sale.

So I restarted this game last night for the third time after the full game unlocked, and played through everything that I previously had in the demos + a little more. This version definitely seems and feels the most polished.

I love the sort of old school/new school hybrid visual design. Feels like it pays homage to the original game while updating the graphics and gameplay for a modern audience (or at least, an audience that respects the O.G. and doesn't need their hands held). Runs great with every graphical setting on Ultra.

It can be easy to miss pickups because some of them tend to sort of blend in with the environment and don't flash/shimmer every 2 seconds indicating "HERE I AM, PICK ME UP!"

NO regrets so far.

I would be over the moon if they gave SS2 the same treatment, but I suppose the Enhanced Edition that's currently being worked on will have to suffice for now..

Last edited:
Can NightDive make a BAD game? seriously, those guys are amazing.
Nightdive has not yet made an original game. They have all been remasters or just ports into the KEX engine. I would say that technically, Nightdive has yet to make any game at all. Also, their reverse-engineered KEX engine port of Blade Runner was not well-received. I would call that one a bad game.

I didn't realize that I was going to, but I guess I ended up with a Steam key also, and thus two copies of the game. I thought that Backers could choose ONE copy of the full game on their digital platform of choice (which I did waaayyyy back when), but shortly after getting my GOG key yesterday I noticed that my Backerkit site had been updated with a Steam key for SSR also. Neat.

I was all set to buy SSR today, but saw it already was in my game library. I must've pre-ordered or contributed to Kickstarter or whatever fund raising outfit they used. Installing now. (y)

I bought my first PC two years after the original System Shock was released, so I missed it the first time around. However, having heard it spoken in such reverential tones for the past nearly 30 years, I was really looking forward to trying it.
Granted, it feels very much like a 90s game, but despite that era having some of my all-time favorites, I just couldn't get into it and enjoy it.

I bought my first PC two years after the original System Shock was released, so I missed it the first time around. However, having heard it spoken in such reverential tones for the past nearly 30 years, I was really looking forward to trying it.
Granted, it feels very much like a 90s game, but despite that era having some of my all-time favorites, I just couldn't get into it and enjoy it.
I get it. SS was a very good game, but System Shock 2 is considered an all-time classic in the same league with Half-Life and Deus Ex. Maybe give SS2 a shot? You don't need to have played SS first.

so for System Shock 2 Nightdive is only doing an Enhanced Edition and not a full remake?...if they had to choose one, I would have preferred a SS2 remake and a SS1 Enhanced Edition
The original was very awkward to play. It's frankly hard to put up with these days with all the quality of life improvements realized over the years since, especially controls. Having a remake faithful to the original while including these QoL improvements is certainly welcome.

And we already got System Shock Enhanced Edition.

https://www.gog.com/en/game/system_shock_enhanced_edition

The original was very awkward to play. It's frankly hard to put up with these days with all the quality of life improvements realized over the years since, especially controls. Having a remake faithful to the original while including these QoL improvements is certainly welcome.

And we already got System Shock Enhanced Edition.

https://www.gog.com/en/game/system_shock_enhanced_edition

Exactly... Of course most people would have preferred a full-on SS2 remake - and entity willing it may happen at some point - but I agree, the original was much more in need of a modern revamp. SS2, while dated looking, is still very playable and even better with mods...plus we get to look forward to a SS2 Enhanced Edition hopefully coming soon. Some people are just never happy, lol.

I played System Shock 2 a few years back for the first time when someone re-released it...a installed a bunch of mods and while it still looked dated the gameplay was excellent...I can definitely see how it was the inspiration for a lot of other games going forward

Last edited:
Nightdive has not yet made an original game. They have all been remasters or just ports into the KEX engine. I would say that technically, Nightdive has yet to make any game at all. Also, their reverse-engineered KEX engine port of Blade Runner was not well-received. I would call that one a bad game.
Yes, but, there are PLENTY, in fact, MOST other studios fail at remastering or recreating. NightDive seems to have it nailed.

Didn't know about Blade Runner!

I played System Shock 2 a few years back for the first time when someone re-released it...a installed a bunch of mods and while it still looked dated the gameplay was really good...I can definitely see how it was the inspriation for a lot of other games going forward

I just looked in my Steam Library and SS2 is there...so Nightdive released SS2 back in 2015 just to make it compatible with modern hardware and OS?...nothing was changed as far as gameplay or graphics?...with the upcoming SS2 Enhanced Edition "all cinematics, textures, characters and weapon models have been updated"

I just looked in my Steam Library and SS2 is there...so Nightdive released SS2 back in 2015 just to make it compatible with modern hardware and OS?...nothing was changed as far as gameplay or graphics?...with the upcoming SS2 Enhanced Edition "all cinematics, textures, characters and weapon models have been updated"
Yeah, Nightdive basically just patched up SS2 to run well on modern systems and fixed some decades-old bugs.

i adore this remake. i can only hope they give a similar treatment to SS2, even if it takes another 7 years. there are a lot of hints that this may be in their plans (the wrench from SS2 can be found, the chemical containers for research in SS2 can be found, etc etc). who knows though, i'm sure it all depends on how well this sells.

Back