System Shock Remastered Demo Available June 28th

D

Deleted member 83233

The release must be coming up soon, because they finally billed my backer kit card.

I haven't watched the videos yet, but if I remember correctly, they had the same voice as the originals. If that's the case, they can't go wrong.

Yes, that's her. This is what SHODAN sounds like, period. If it wasn't, it wouldn't be SHODAN. That would be bad.

D

Deleted member 83233

It's Terri Brosius. She was the original voice (I just couldn't remember her name earlier). Eric Brosius worked on the original game, and did the Soundtrack to System Shock 2. Terri also worked on the game aside from being the voice actor if I remember correctly. Anyway, it's her again. I knew that they got her back to do the voice. It sounds pretty spot on in these videos. In 1994, they didn't really get professional actors to do voicing (at least not on a lot of games). It was usually staff, relatives, anyone that was cheap. Actually, this was around when this started to change, with things like the later Wing Commander games hiring big names. System Shock was actually above average, but still not the greatest voice acting. System Shock 2 improved on it quite a bit, but still wasn't cinema level. This one will probably be better still, but still not quite cinema. :D It's just part of what these games are though. Sure it's nice to attract a new audience, but you'd piss off every single SS fan out there if your replaced Terri. These are the people that backed the game, so...

D

Deleted member 83233

I played SS2 back in the day like 1998 or 1999. It scared the crap out of me. Had to restart it after chickening out the first time.

It really instills a different kind of fear that wasn't seen much back then. A bit of disturbing moments, a bit of jump scare, a bit of what the fuck, etc. all at the right times. There still aren't many games that even come close to either of these games. While I enjoyed the BioShock games, they didn't have the same impact. I absolutely LOVE Prey (both before you ask, but specifically talking about the newer game from Arkane) but even it doesn't quite get the same response. Doom 3 could have pulled it off (and is in fact one of the closer games) but just missed the mark a little bit. I think it was due to the occult aspect as opposed to science. I've played SS1 and SS2 countless times, (and I really mean countless :D ) and they still make me feel the same (or at least VERY close) to how they did when I originally played them. F.E.A.R. gave me more jumps the first time I played it, but I don't believe I've ever leaned over or back in my chair more to physically distance myself in a game than with the SS games. Even though their visuals are crude, something just pulls you in, and does it properly.

peppergomez

[H]ard|Gawd
It really instills a different kind of fear that wasn't seen much back then. A bit of disturbing moments, a bit of jump scare, a bit of what the fuck, etc. all at the right times. There still aren't many games that even come close to either of these games. While I enjoyed the BioShock games, they didn't have the same impact. I absolutely LOVE Prey (both before you ask, but specifically talking about the newer game from Arkane) but even it doesn't quite get the same response. Doom 3 could have pulled it off (and is in fact one of the closer games) but just missed the mark a little bit. I think it was due to the occult aspect as opposed to science. I've played SS1 and SS2 countless times, (and I really mean countless :D ) and they still make me feel the same (or at least VERY close) to how they did when I originally played them. F.E.A.R. gave me more jumps the first time I played it, but I don't believe I've ever leaned over or back in my chair more to physically distance myself in a game than with the SS games. Even though their visuals are crude, something just pulls you in, and does it properly.
It was a VERY effective haunted house game, and us gamers were very naive in a good way (not jaded or hardened) 25 years ago, and were really not prepared for how terrifying SS2 was. Kind of like how mainstream movie audiences weren't prepared for how terrifying The Exorcist or Jaws were when they first came out. It was some seriously intense **** for 1999.

polonyc2

Fully [H]
finally Nightdive Studios has confirmed a tentative launch window of March 2023...

As some of you have already pointed out this is not our first time announcing a tentative launch window, but over the past few years much has changed - the scope and scale of the project has evolved dramatically and with Prime Matter joining the project it's enabled us to focus on quality-of-life improvements, bug fixing, and localization support - the last major steps towards releasing a game we're all incredibly proud of...this has also given us time to go back and polish various aspects of the game that needed that extra shine...

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598858095/system-shock/posts/3699917

M76

[H]F Junkie
They are literally the boy who cried wolf too many times.

Colonel Sanders

Supreme [H]ardness
They are literally the boy who cried wolf too many times.
if i was a kickstarter backer i'd be pissed, but since i'm not i'm just excited to play it when it comes out. i liked the demo a lot and the tidbits they've shown since then look awesome to me. *shrug*

M76

[H]F Junkie
if i was a kickstarter backer i'd be pissed, but since i'm not i'm just excited to play it when it comes out. i liked the demo a lot and the tidbits they've shown since then look awesome to me. *shrug*
If I was in the kickstarter I'd call it fraud. As an outsider the only thing I'll believe is if they actually release the game. This term "release window" makes them seem even less trustworthy. If they are really this close to finishing just set a concrete date. But if they set no date it is easier to weasel back out of it.

Okatis

Limp Gawd
I find it weird that GOG.com has had the game featured in the top 10 'Upcoming' tab on their home page for years, pushing out room for other actually upcoming games.

How much did they pay GOG for this? Or have GOG voluntarily been placing it there as they think it makes their offerings look more polished (from their point of view).

Armenius

Extremely [H]
If I was in the kickstarter I'd call it fraud. As an outsider the only thing I'll believe is if they actually release the game. This term "release window" makes them seem even less trustworthy. If they are really this close to finishing just set a concrete date. But if they set no date it is easier to weasel back out of it.
It's not as bad as Star Citizen, at least, so I wouldn't go so far as calling it fraud. CIG has been scamming people out of their money for a decade now. It's still a reason I don't do crowdfunding, though. You have no legal protection as a crowdfunder.

Lateralus

More [H]uman than Human
Not even in the same league as Star Citizen. Seems like this is going to be more of a Black Mesa. Yes, they are taking forever but I have faith/hope that they will deliver the goods. Now, whether it will live up to expectations after all this time is another story.

M76

[H]F Junkie
It's not as bad as Star Citizen, at least, so I wouldn't go so far as calling it fraud. CIG has been scamming people out of their money for a decade now. It's still a reason I don't do crowdfunding, though. You have no legal protection as a crowdfunder.
Technically CIG delivered more so far than nightdive. They promised the game for 2017, and they did other remasters in between.some of which were not that great.

polonyc2

Fully [H]

weaseling out?...you've never been in game development I see...so if they say we are releasing the game in March 2023 and then miss that date they will get blasted...if they don't release a date they will get blasted as being vaporware...so you want to see them lock in a date and stick to that date regardless of if the game is buggy or needs more time?

M76

[H]F Junkie
weaseling out?...you've never been in game development I see...so if they say we are releasing the game in March 2023 and then miss that date they will get blasted...if they don't release a date they will get blasted as being vaporware...so you want to see them lock in a date and stick to that date regardless of if the game is buggy or needs more time?
This is not their first promise, they missed so many deadlines that I lost count. First it was supposed to come out at the end of 2017. That's 63 months before March 2023. And I'm being unreasonable for wanting a date they actually keep this time? LOL

If they still can't see the end of development then just say nothing. This is just stringing people along to encourage more pre-orders. I don't wish to be right, but I don't expect a game in Q1. How hard it is to say March 31 otherwise? If they complete it earlier they can spend any leftover time on additional polishing, it doesn't have to be made available to the public the second they compile the last version.