System Shock 3 announced.

Atmosphere wise is was very SS2 and Bioshock. Falls more onto the side of SS2 due to succeeding more at horror than Bioshock did.

I didn't get much Bioshock from it other than being under water. Without spoiling that game, I think the overall theme was SS2 inspired.

I didn't get much Bioshock from it other than being under water. Without spoiling that game, I think the overall theme was SS2 inspired.

Well considering the same dude made them I can see that :p

Very much looking forward to SS3 and that remake too.

The page is slowly filling in as time runs down. This text at the bottom: "I am flawless, perpetual... absolute."

That's my homegirl S.H.O.D.A.N., right there.

I wonder who you will be controlling. Goggles or somebody else? The SS2 ending left left things pretty open. I expect Shodan to be the villain again though.

Shodan's big sister would be cool, she be like "That brat, she knows nothing and disresepcts me, I'm angry now, die human!" then the mom comes in "girls girls, stop pulling each other's hair, it's just a little space ship, there are more than enough to share" dad: "goddamit where's my beer? and this sammich is worthless. Come on girls, I'm taking you two to get icecream at mcdonalds" girls: "yayyy, that's all we ever wanted daddy!" older brother: "I can't wait until I'm old enough to leave and find my own universe"

:cool: Best villain EVER!

She's up there for sure. Her reveal in SS2 is one of the best villain reveals in video games. At the time I actually didn't see it coming until I entered the room. So freaking well done. I love her giving you shit the rest of the game too.

She's up there for sure. Her reveal in SS2 is one of the best villain reveals in video games. At the time I actually didn't see it coming until I entered the room. So freaking well done. I love her giving you shit the rest of the game too.

Yes. Nice layers throughout. SPOILERS FOLLOW!!!!!

The scientist you think was helping you has already committed suicide. And if you've been paying attention to the audio logs you pick up as you go along, you know why. She was brought a fragment of SHODAN's old logic circuits from the first game, and while trying to figure out what it was, she brought SHODAN back to life. You've been obeying SHODAN's orders the whole time. And you have to continue doing so, because you have to join forces against a common enemy--the bio-mutating hive mind that's been taking over the crew.

Not only do you have to cooperate with SHODAN, but all the fancy upgrades you've been collecting to help you beat your enemies are presents from her. She already owns big chunks of the new you. Will that bite you in the end?

But all your efforts are too little, too late. All but two other crew members are already either dead or members of the new hive mind. And now they are not just a hive mind--their biomass has been joined into one big organism--The Body of the Many. And you have to search and fight your way through it to defeat the hive.

That's three distinct phases--pre-SHODAN reveal, post-SHODAN reveal, and Body of the Many (learn to be the Jolly Green Giant's gastro-enterologist--from the inside!). Each more whacked out, creepy, and sci-fi awesome than the last.

This was my first major RPG/FPS purchase when I moved from struggling with legacy Amiga gaming to gaming on a PC. An all-time favorite.

I never played SS1 but loved SS2 - periodically replay it. I think many people who saw SS2 liked it more than people who played SS1 first.

I've tried SS1 before SS2, but I just couldn't get into it. The UI was terrible, the graphics was even worse. Even for its time. But SS2 I loved from the get go, and I didn't even know at the time that I was playing an RPG. The game was hard and complex and interesting. Everything that is missing from today's games. The research projects were the most interesting , collecting samples, chemicals, and then waiting 20 minutes for the analysis to be finished. This would never fly with the console people.

[ spoiler = !!!PUT TITLE HERE!!! ] testidwdwdwdwng [ / spoiler ]

^without the additional spaces

We have a spoiler tag you know.
Might be better than spoiling the entire game....

I held off discussing the plot in this thread until someone above did a major reveal. Then I decided, you, know, the game is 17 years old. And I STILL put a spoiler warning and a decent skip space in my post. I didn't know about spoiler tags, and I don't think it's worth the trouble anyway, especially in this case.

Vader is Luke's father.

I held off discussing the plot in this thread until someone above did a major reveal. Then I decided, you, know, the game is 17 years old. And I STILL put a spoiler warning and a decent skip space in my post. I didn't know about spoiler tags, and I don't think it's worth the trouble anyway, especially in this case.

Vader is Luke's father.

GOD FING DAMMMMIITT

*throws 75% watched Empire strikes back bluray in the garbage*

Vader is Luke's father.

Trouble?
Editing a post to add literally a "=text" to the first tag is trouble?

Don't ever take up programming...

This little "example" of yours in no way resembles either your earlier reply to M76 nor Youn's breakdown.

Don't ever take up teaching.

I literally quoted your text and added just that. If it takes that much brainpower to understand(or not) then just give it up.

what's the time limit on spoilers!...17 years seems like a long time...for me spoilers are revealing something before a TV show, movie, game or book is released...once it's officially released then you give maybe another week or 2 out of courtesy but other then that I think it's the responsibility of the person to avoid the thread in question...but revealing spoilers for an older game in a newer game thread is dicey

Still need to beat SS2. There are too many games now. There are even more shitty games than their are shitty movies nowadays.

Still need to beat SS2. There are too many games now. There are even more shitty games than their are shitty movies nowadays.

Then play SS2. Problem solved. It's not shitty.

Tips for beating: Choose the marine specialty for your character, and put significant upgrade points into standard weapons. You start finding machine guns about halfway through the game. Have invested enough points into inventory space to carry 4 machine guns at once. Load each one with one of the four ammo types. When a particular enemy type appears, hit the cycle weapons button (if you have more than one of a given weapon, it quickly swaps them out) for the gun loaded with the ammo type they are most vulnerable to. They will go down in 1-3 shots and you will take minimal damage.

I avoid heavy weapons, too slow and hard to aim, alien weapons because they don't do that much damage for all the time it takes to find/research them, and energy weapons because they are weak. I remember on one play-through, I put a lot of points into energy because I saw the electro-blade thing and thought I would be getting an ultra-cool light saber equivalent. It sucks. Works more like a shock baton and takes forever to kill.

You can do the specialty that gives a better hacking and repair skill and it works pretty well (Navy I think), just remember to buff inventory and standard weapons for the machine gun like I said above. If ammo of the 4 types gets scarce for machine guns, you can fill in that ammo type with a shotgun and get by.

Choosing OSA and psionics is an interesting challenge for a second (or third) playthrough, but there's just too much run-of-the-mill combat in the game to make psionics all that useful, IMHO.

Shodan: PUNKED U GUYS LOLOLOL

SHODAN (sings):

Got a long list of ex-lovers
They'll tell you I'm insane
But you know I love the players
And you love the game

Boys only want love if it's torture
Don't say I didn't
Say I didn't warn ya....

SS2 was a great game. I had never played it until a friend recommended we coop it with a bunch of mods (graphics updates) about 2 years ago. I really hope they make SS3 as fun and challenging. Certainly a game I'll be looking forward to.

For anyone still following this, yep, it's SS3. Be sure to play the audio clip at the bottom left of the splash page to get that warm, fuzzy, SHODAN feeling again...

Ah, when she calls me insect... <giggle>

Back