System Shock 3 announced.

looks great but almost seems like a remake of the first 2 games versus a sequel...

Well, hopefully that's where the story will differentiate itself. I also wouldn't be too disappointed if it was a bit derivative of the first two. They are my top two games of all time for a reason. :D I'll take everything I can get in this universe.

I miss Looking Glass. I wish we could get a remake of Terra Nova.

that would be awesome as long as it still has cheesy FMV.

they did make some of the best games just people didn't appreciate the genius of them.

I just hope 3 isn't some dumbed down game...I want quirky menu systems!! SS2 is my favorite game of all time so...I know my expectations are way to high :)

Posters here weren't born when the original was out in the mid 90's. Ok well most weren't born. At least some weren't born then. Wonder if anyone remembers all those plants growing in a level near the end of SS1? It reminded me of a little terrarium.

Posters here weren't born when the original was out in the mid 90's. Ok well most weren't born. At least some weren't born then. Wonder if anyone remembers all those plants growing in a level near the end of SS1? It reminded me of a little terrarium.

Ha! I played it and beat it in 1994 when it came out. I've been playing games since 1980. :p I think you've miscalculated the age demographic of this site. :D

I actually preferred the Executive deck.

Ha! I played it and beat it in 1994 when it came out. I've been playing games since 1980. :p I think you've miscalculated the age demographic of this site. :D

I actually preferred the Executive deck.

Been gaming since 1977. I was ten years old when the Atari 2600 came out. Can't forget the gaming arcades as well. Fuck I'm getting old.

Fail. Try Again.

Been so long since I played System Shock. It always pissed me off they quit making sequels. SO many shittier franchises got continued or created and yet this is one of the best Series ever.

Blood is another game franchise that needs to come back!!!

Blood is another game franchise that needs to come back!!!

Not sure if they could create an experience like that with current tech & social trends. It would probably be like everything else, created on Unreal Engine, Crytek or Unity. Possibly some kind of MTX involved with it that part of the community will be ok with while others are not.

Doubt the horror genre like that would still work. There have been some horror movies released in the last 20 years but which have become catchphrases or things guys quote. It worked fine coming off the heels of the 70s & 80s. Outside of the creepy girl in the Ring and "Would you like to play a game" from saw..

TL/DR: What is Caleb going to one line? "Netflix and chill this!" *blasts shotgun*

Last edited by a moderator:
I liked System Shock II a lot when it came out, the creepy feeling and the sound of an automatic door opening in the distance signalling that something was on its way towards you is something I will remember forever.
But the fact that everything respawned pissed me off, it took away the feeling of accomplishment you get after clearing a difficult level. So I`m hoping they have left that out of SS3, or at least given it as an option.

yea, a "pansy-ass-easy mode" option :p

seriously though, I thought it made sense, the AI learning to use biolabs to recreate endless baddies... or something, I forget... felt a little more like an RPG where that is commonplace. If the game is designed around infected crew members though, yea it'd make more sense to have a bodycount indicator or something for that, and maybe smaller enemy types that respawn (like killer plants that keep regrowing back or somethin)

yea, a "pansy-ass-easy mode" option :p

seriously though, I thought it made sense, the AI learning to use biolabs to recreate endless baddies... or something, I forget... felt a little more like an RPG where that is commonplace. If the game is designed around infected crew members though, yea it'd make more sense to have a bodycount indicator or something for that, and maybe smaller enemy types that respawn (like killer plants that keep regrowing back or somethin)

Agreed! It made perfect sense in SS1 and SS2. The same regeneration systems that the player uses to come back when dead are what the AI uses to do the same with the enemies. It's probably the only series where this mechanic actually does make sense. :D They also had plenty of corpses that did not reanimate. The decks were littered with them. So it's not like the enemy just disappears and then comes right back. It's a healthy mixture. You always have to be on your toes, which gets hectic (in a good way) when you're down to your last AP clip, and only have a wrench. It's time to run and hide :D

It's been so long since this game was announced that I forgot about it. They are developing at a snail's pace

It's been so long since this game was announced that I forgot about it. They are developing at a snail's pace

It’s a small team, and with people like Warren Spector on it, I’m sure there a lot of attention to detail. A lot is riding on this too. It’s not easy to continue a series 20 years later and please all the nostalgic fans. Take a look at the more recent Thief games to see what can happen when it goes wrong.

It’s a small team, and with people like Warren Spector on it, I’m sure there a lot of attention to detail. A lot is riding on this too. It’s not easy to continue a series 20 years later and please all the nostalgic fans. Take a look at the more recent Thief games to see what can happen when it goes wrong.

I hope that's what it is. I am so fucking hyped for this game.

This is my 2nd most wanted game behind Cyberpunk 2077.The original Sound team from Looking Glass Studios who worked on SS2,are on this new dev team,Terri and Dan.

Loved the new Pre Alpha video from this week.Been following this games development really close since 2015.

Last edited:
today marks the 25th anniversary of the original System Shock...to mark the big birthday, Nightdive Studios is holding a livestream later today that will feature chats with System Shock producer Warren Spector, designer Tim Stellmach, and the voice of Shodan herself, Terri Brosius...the System Shock anniversary stream starts at 5 pm PT/8 pm ET...

https://www.twitch.tv/nightdivestudios

that would be awesome as long as it still has cheesy FMV.

they did make some of the best games just people didn't appreciate the genius of them.

I just hope 3 isn't some dumbed down game...I want quirky menu systems!! SS2 is my favorite game of all time so...I know my expectations are way to high :)

Speaking of that era and alternative ‘mech’ games, I loved the heavy gear series.

Really wish I had gotten into system shock, but I missed that boat and the old interface is a stumbling block for me these days.

This was posted back on the 11th, in this very thread. ;)

Still, looks good.

They just sent out a new email with this yesterday though. I thought it was new as well, but yeah, it's the same.

To be clear, doesn't mean the game is dead, but it is certainly concerning and at minimum seems like a long delay.

To be clear, doesn't mean the game is dead, but it is certainly concerning and at minimum seems like a long delay.

Unless the studio sells the game rights and all currently created assets it's probably dead. The entire team being laid off means no one is working on it. At best, it's lingering in development hell. Wouldn't be surprised to hear about the studio closing shop or filing for bankruptcy soon.

Unless the studio sells the game rights and all currently created assets it's probably dead. The entire team being laid off means no one is working on it. At best, it's lingering in development hell. Wouldn't be surprised to hear about the studio closing shop or filing for bankruptcy soon.

Well, there is one group that could pick this up, and probably do it some justice. Nightdive. They work on things like this because they love them, and while they aren't the richest studio in the universe, I think how they treat their work is much more important for a series like System Shock. Otherside also kind of botched the Underworld Ascendant release too, (though to be fair, it's a lot better now). In fact, if they had nailed that release, they probably would be in better shape right now. The teams were a bit different I gather, so I still believe SS3 would have been good. However, I would hope that they could transfer those assets over to another interested studio before they're forever held by some insurance or holding firm like the original SS rights were. If Otherside doesn't pull through, I hope they at least consider Nightdive. If it were to move to a larger studio, and there are a few that recognize the importance of the series, I would hope that Arkane would get it. I would have also mentioned Visceral, as Dead Space was kind of intended to fill in the System Shock gap, but I don't know what their status is anymore. I read that it wasn't so good a while back.

Back