System Shock 3 announced.

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Hardware' started by Stiler, Dec 8, 2015.

1. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

SHODAN has been the same voice actor since SS1.

Youn and Kinsaras like this.
  2. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

Fuck... ...yeah...

That will be all. ;)

Youn, dark_reign, Q-BZ and 1 other person like this.
  3. Kinsaras

Kinsaras 2[H]4U

Youn, Comixbooks, Q-BZ and 1 other person like this.
  4. polonyc2

polonyc2 [H]ard as it Gets

looks great but almost seems like a remake of the first 2 games versus a sequel...

tunatime and Q-BZ like this.
  5. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

Well, hopefully that's where the story will differentiate itself. I also wouldn't be too disappointed if it was a bit derivative of the first two. They are my top two games of all time for a reason. :D I'll take everything I can get in this universe.

6. DooKey

DooKey [H]ardness Supreme

I miss Looking Glass. I wish we could get a remake of Terra Nova.

dark_reign and J3RK like this.
  7. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

Yeah, they were a cool company. Irrational too. At least some of the same people have joined the new studio though.

8. Bigbacon

Bigbacon [H]ardForum Junkie

that would be awesome as long as it still has cheesy FMV.

they did make some of the best games just people didn't appreciate the genius of them.

I just hope 3 isn't some dumbed down game...I want quirky menu systems!! SS2 is my favorite game of all time so...I know my expectations are way to high :)

Manny Calavera likes this.
  9. InaDaise

InaDaise n00b

Posters here weren't born when the original was out in the mid 90's. Ok well most weren't born. At least some weren't born then. Wonder if anyone remembers all those plants growing in a level near the end of SS1? It reminded me of a little terrarium.

10. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

Ha! I played it and beat it in 1994 when it came out. I've been playing games since 1980. :p I think you've miscalculated the age demographic of this site. :D

I actually preferred the Executive deck.

dark_reign likes this.
  11. dark_reign

dark_reign 2[H]4U

Been gaming since 1977. I was ten years old when the Atari 2600 came out. Can't forget the gaming arcades as well. Fuck I'm getting old.

SnowBeast, Manny Calavera and J3RK like this.
  12. DrLobotomy

DrLobotomy [H]ardness Supreme

Fail. Try Again.

GhostCow likes this.
  13. DrLobotomy

DrLobotomy [H]ardness Supreme

Been so long since I played System Shock. It always pissed me off they quit making sequels. SO many shittier franchises got continued or created and yet this is one of the best Series ever.

Blood is another game franchise that needs to come back!!!

Manny Calavera and Krenum like this.
  14. Krenum

Krenum [H]ardForum Junkie

15. Sprinter81

Sprinter81 n00b

Not sure if they could create an experience like that with current tech & social trends. It would probably be like everything else, created on Unreal Engine, Crytek or Unity. Possibly some kind of MTX involved with it that part of the community will be ok with while others are not.

Doubt the horror genre like that would still work. There have been some horror movies released in the last 20 years but which have become catchphrases or things guys quote. It worked fine coming off the heels of the 70s & 80s. Outside of the creepy girl in the Ring and "Would you like to play a game" from saw..

TL/DR: What is Caleb going to one line? "Netflix and chill this!" *blasts shotgun*

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019 at 4:40 PM
  16. Eivind68

Eivind68 n00b

I liked System Shock II a lot when it came out, the creepy feeling and the sound of an automatic door opening in the distance signalling that something was on its way towards you is something I will remember forever.
    But the fact that everything respawned pissed me off, it took away the feeling of accomplishment you get after clearing a difficult level. So I`m hoping they have left that out of SS3, or at least given it as an option.

17. Youn

Youn [H]ardness Supreme

yea, a "pansy-ass-easy mode" option :p

seriously though, I thought it made sense, the AI learning to use biolabs to recreate endless baddies... or something, I forget... felt a little more like an RPG where that is commonplace. If the game is designed around infected crew members though, yea it'd make more sense to have a bodycount indicator or something for that, and maybe smaller enemy types that respawn (like killer plants that keep regrowing back or somethin)

J3RK likes this.
  18. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

Agreed! It made perfect sense in SS1 and SS2. The same regeneration systems that the player uses to come back when dead are what the AI uses to do the same with the enemies. It's probably the only series where this mechanic actually does make sense. :D They also had plenty of corpses that did not reanimate. The decks were littered with them. So it's not like the enemy just disappears and then comes right back. It's a healthy mixture. You always have to be on your toes, which gets hectic (in a good way) when you're down to your last AP clip, and only have a wrench. It's time to run and hide :D

Manny Calavera and tunatime like this.
  19. GhostCow

GhostCow [H]Lite

It's been so long since this game was announced that I forgot about it. They are developing at a snail's pace

20. J3RK

J3RK [H]ardForum Junkie

It’s a small team, and with people like Warren Spector on it, I’m sure there a lot of attention to detail. A lot is riding on this too. It’s not easy to continue a series 20 years later and please all the nostalgic fans. Take a look at the more recent Thief games to see what can happen when it goes wrong.

21. Colonel Sanders

Colonel Sanders 2[H]4U

I hope that's what it is. I am so fucking hyped for this game.

Manny Calavera likes this.
  22. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera 2[H]4U

This is my 2nd most wanted game behind Cyberpunk 2077.The original Sound team from Looking Glass Studios who worked on SS2,are on this new dev team,Terri and Dan.

Loved the new Pre Alpha video from this week.Been following this games development really close since 2015.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019 at 3:09 PM
    J3RK and polonyc2 like this.
  23. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera 2[H]4U

Yes,that was voiced over by Terri Brossius,the original voice actress of SHODAN. SS3 is being designed by a small team of 21~(March 2019,might be a bigger team now) folks led by Warren Specter,of Deus Ex fame.

Colonel Sanders likes this.