System Shock 3 announced.

I know a lot of people that are excited for this one. I never got to play them but I would love to play the new one.

Allow me to quote a Mr. Ric Flair here..........

"WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!"

so we're getting System Shock 3 and the System Shock remake by Night Dive Studios? :cool: ...what took so long?...

Wasn't Bioshock supposed to be like the sucessor of System Shock?
Just changed some stuff up?

Yeah, having only played Bioshock myself (alot, too much infact), and talking to my older brother about his equal obsession with System Shock years before, it seems to me that Bioshock is pretty much a remake/spiritual successor, with a change of setting.

I guess SS3 will be an actual sequel then?

Bioshock was a casual joke, ripe with consolitis and easy mode rpg elements.

Heres hoping the coop experience is identical to SS2, that the game is as difficult and the suspense is back.

SS1 was the best IMO, SS2 was good too but not really different enough (graphics aside)... Bioshock on the other hand, I just can't seem to get into at all... too pretentious... I hope SS3 doesn't continue in that direction

Otherside is also the studio that kickstarted Underworld Ascendant.

Whatever. Maybe once its done, and maybe it wont suck, maybe I will be interested.

I bought the first one after I heard how great it was, but it just sadly did not hold up well and was painful to look at. I hope it's a reboot/remake so that I can experience what the first one must have been like when it released. Or hopefully if it is a sequel then they explain the previous two in some way.

yea it's a bit old and crusty now, for sure hahaha

Interesting. Night Drive has stated that SS3 is a possibility so maybe OtherSide gave them a pitch they liked. Well, hopefully OtherSide actually has permission to do this since Night Drive does own the rights to the franchise.

Spiritual successor. Not the same universe and a pretty different game that takes some queues from SS2 but turns it into more of a FPS than a FPS/RPG hybrid.

This is heresy to the System Shock faithful, but I found SS2 to be kinda meh. It was good, but I never thought it lived up to the hype. Now, if I suddenly disappear from [H], you know a vengeful SHODAN tracked down and eliminated this insect.

This is heresy to the System Shock faithful, but I found SS2 to be kinda meh. It was good, but I never thought it lived up to the hype. Now, if I suddenly disappear from [H], you know a vengeful SHODAN tracked down and eliminated this insect.

I never played SS1 but loved SS2 - periodically replay it. I think many people who saw SS2 liked it more than people who played SS1 first.

I never played SS1 but loved SS2 - periodically replay it. I think many people who saw SS2 liked it more than people who played SS1 first.

The problem with SS1 is the time it came out. SS1 released a little less than a year after Doom and it feels it. The UI is abysmal and everything just feels 21 years old. The plot is still interesting and what made the game special at the time is still apparent in some places, but it is very hard to play.

SS2 is still my favorite game ever..I think it is one of the best games ever made..

as much as I love the idea of SS3....I know it will never live up to my expectations.

SS2 is still my favorite game ever..I think it is one of the best games ever made..

as much as I love the idea of SS3....I know it will never live up to my expectations.

SS2 was incredibly fantastic.

I must temper my expectations in accordance with my love for bacon. Wait... n/m.

Well this is excellent news, only game I have been waiting on longer than HL3. :) Awesome to hear that some of the original devs are involved.

Yeah, having only played Bioshock myself (alot, too much infact), and talking to my older brother about his equal obsession with System Shock years before, it seems to me that Bioshock is pretty much a remake/spiritual successor, with a change of setting.

I guess SS3 will be an actual sequel then?

Interesting note is that Irrational Games had people who were members from Looking Glass.

Some of those people are now working at Otherside.

IIRC the guy responsible for the "Big daddy" creation is one of them working at Otherside now.

so we're getting System Shock 3 and the System Shock remake by Night Dive Studios? :cool: ...what took so long?...

The IP was held up for a long time by some private company.

The intellectual property (IP) rights of System Shock 2 were caught for years in complications between Electronic Arts and Meadowbrook Insurance Group (a subsidiary of Star Insurance Company), the entity that acquired the assets of Looking Glass Studios on their closure,[49] though according to a lawyer for Star Insurance, they themselves have since acquired the lingering intellectual property rights from EA.[50]

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

SS 2 was still to me the greatest game of all time.... I been DYING for a part 3

LETS GO SHODAN!!!!

Part 2 was fun. I never played the first one.

You are a bad person, and you should feel bad. Now scoot on over to GOG or Steam, and get System Shock Enhanced post haste!

What Made SS2 so great.... was the atmosphere.... it was a scary game.... and all of the RPG options. I been checking the web for YEARSSSSS for news of a possible SS3.... I am beside myself

Interesting note is that Irrational Games had people who were members from Looking Glass.

Some of those people are now working at Otherside.

IIRC the guy responsible for the "Big daddy" creation is one of them working at Otherside now.

This is really good news. If I'm not mistaken, Warren Spector was involved in the first one, (which is my favorite) but he went off to Disney later, and now is doing something less dev related I think. Nice to hear some LG and IG people are involved. Now if they can get Eric Brosius back to do some of the music. :cool:

What Made SS2 so great.... was the atmosphere.... it was a scary game.... and all of the RPG options. I been checking the web for YEARSSSSS for news of a possible SS3.... I am beside myself

I still play SS1 and SS2 every so often, and nothing has changed. It's still a very worthwhile experience every time I do it.

They were kind of scary for the time. I recall being freaked out from the damn screaming monkeys jumping out at you from the dark. One of the first games for me where the sound really added to the immersion and created that scary feeling.

They were kind of scary for the time. I recall being freaked out from the damn screaming monkeys jumping out at you from the dark. One of the first games for me where the sound really added to the immersion and created that scary feeling.

I wouldn't say they're still scary in the same way they were then, but they still have the same overall feel and atmosphere. They still invoke the same types of responses for the most part (at least for me,) just not the raw fear part. They're still good enough for me to suspend disbelief, (even with their limitations) and I can't say that about a lot of other games.

I'm actually glad Ken Levine is not part of this.
Maybe we will get something original this time, instead of the same game with a different coat for the 3rd time...

I'm actually glad Ken Levine is not part of this.
Maybe we will get something original this time, instead of the same game with a different coat for the 3rd time...

First, I agree with you.

Second, as far as the System Shock games themselves go, they already were quite a bit different, but within the same game style.

He seems to have some good ideas, but also seems to miss some huge opportunities. It's like he likes to theorize about a deep experience, but in practice remove half of what he talks about doing. Anyway, I like the BioShocks (not 2 but the original and Infinite was decent) but they seemed to go from System Shock Ish to BioShock Lite as they progressed. (if that makes any sense :D )

Wasn't Deus Ex kind of a brother to System Shock from a pure gameplay perspective?

One of the great things about SS2 is how everything gradually deteriorated. You start out and things are pretty messed up (monkies and zombies) but you've got someone talking to you who seems to want to help you out. But as you make your way further into the ship, the environments (and recordings) eventually get disturbing and the voice in your ear is starting to mock you, and may not be human after all....

Wasn't Deus Ex kind of a brother to System Shock from a pure gameplay perspective?
It had similar qualities. Also, Warren Spector worked on both (originals in each series). Might have something to do with it.

First, I agree with you.

Second, as far as the System Shock games themselves go, they already were quite a bit different, but within the same game style.

He seems to have some good ideas, but also seems to miss some huge opportunities. It's like he likes to theorize about a deep experience, but in practice remove half of what he talks about doing. Anyway, I like the BioShocks (not 2 but the original and Infinite was decent) but they seemed to go from System Shock Ish to BioShock Lite as they progressed. (if that makes any sense :D )

I was enjoying Bioshock until about half way through the game, when I realized I had played this game before, not the game, but the entire progression was EXACTLY System Shock 2, down to the whole 'person helping you, is the real big bad of the game' thing. It was like they changed the environment, characters names and called it a new game.
But the biggest failure was the gutted RPG system, and that awful, awful, AWFUL final boss. If they dont cater to casuals, then SS3 may be a great successor, but if they go the route of the Bioshock games(BioShock Lite you say?), well.... thats going to disappoint. I hope they go back to what made SS2 a classic, and build from there.

Will it really be System Shock? Or will it be a cash grab trading on the SS name?

I hope it is the former.

This is great news. After playing through system shock 2 a couple times I always wished for another one. Whether they can actually pull off the scare factor we will have to wait and see. At first I thought it was an April fools joke and had too remember what month it is. Will keep an eye on this development by subscribing for news updates.

Back