System powers down randomly..help?

Diashto

Limp Gawd
Just built a new machine (see sig for specs), and I'm having a devil of a time getting the gremlins out of it.

Windows 7x64 keeps giving me fits.. error messages of "This operation requires an interactive window session" to install when I try to plug in a flash drive, trying to run services.msc from a command line gives me a window that pops up that says its crashed.. other little bugs and gremlins softwarewise that I think may be related to the SSD.. going to swap that out later today.

The most concerning however is the randomly rebooting. For no apparent reason, under no load, it just decides to Poof.. power off and restart.

It didn't do this under 2-hours of blended Prime95 stress testing (with no errors).. but it's happened twice now just browsing the web, with no real CPU load. I've checked the hardware monitor that Gigabyte sent with the easytune thing, and this is what it shows:

voltages.jpg

Could the power supply just not be supplying enough voltage to the cpu, and when it droops too low it kills the machine? Is there a way to fix this? SHould i swap out the PSU? Is this somehow related to the SSD? Checking through the event log doesnt seem to show anything went wrong at the times that it rebooted.. and it doesnt seem to bluescreen at all, just poof, power off, and bring the bios welcome screen back up. Is this maybe a motherboard issue?

Anyone? Help?

This usually happens if your cpu is not properly seated, causing it to overheat and shut down. your psu is fine for you setup. also make sure your ram settings and voltages are set to the same as the sticker on them.

swapped out mobo and cpu.. doublechecked to see that everything is seated properly... everest and easytune both show the cpus at like 32-36 degrees... so i doubt its overheating.. unless its the PSU overheating, which i guess it could be, but doesnt seem very likely either..

Your issue is likely software related, Get a memtest86+ iso and burn a boot cd. While we are not too concerned with testing the memory (but it wont hurt) memtest loads its own OS and gives the machine a decent workout of everything except the video card in 3D mode. And since you say the crashes are not releated to games specifically and it does it in windows browsing the web where the 3d vidoe load is light or nonexistant running memtest86+ should also crash if the problem is the hardware. So boot up with memtest and see if the machine still crashes, let it run all day/night, no crash its your OS install that is bad or maybe something with the SSD or at the very least you will be able to eliminate your memory as the problem. If it does crash you can go back to looking at your hardware/cooling etc. and you will have results of your memory testing and can decide if that is the issue.

tell me all the components buddy,

have you tried power supply calculators?

have u tried not overclocking it?

did u try just the ssd/hdd? and onboard video card if there is any?

any tests run?

memtest, hdd tests? sandra tests?

lemme know homie

i recommend you unhook everything to its bare. its gigabyte i assume cause ur using easy tune. i suggest you stop the overclocking and go with stock. also go to gigabyte or mobo manu and see if the memory has been tested and confirmed for your motherboard. have fun and be careful yo. just take out cmos battery and see if that sends everything to stock

It hasn't been overclocked... when I swapped the motherboard/cpu i did a fresh re-install of 7, havent even clocked the ram up past 1066 yet. seems pretty stable so far... ran Memtest86+ for a couple hours with no errors. Ran Prime95 Large-FFT for about an hour and a half, HWMonitor showed max temps at 54-57c on the cores.

So far, havent had any issues with it shutting off.. will keep ya posted. I figure if it goes 3-4 days without rebooting it should be golden.

After looking over what has already been said in the thread, I could not find anything glaringly obvious to have you do. Your hardware list looks fine as well, but I will echo a statement already expressed, get it stable for a while and then take it from there. Which you seem to be doing. IMO, if you can get it to remain stable for two or three weeks, I would consider that golden.

Best of luck and let us know how it turns out.

After more google-fu.. it appears that my cuprit is none other than my UPS. According to APC, the Active PFC in my high-end PSU requires something called a "Pure Sine Wave" output, the simulated sine wave that the old Back UPS ES 725 that I have apparently doesnt cut it.

Wow glad you found that, I have heard of it but would never have figured it out.

After more google-fu.. it appears that my cuprit is none other than my UPS. According to APC, the Active PFC in my high-end PSU requires something called a "Pure Sine Wave" output, the simulated sine wave that the old Back UPS ES 725 that I have apparently doesnt cut it.

I know about the "incompatabilities" between some PSs and simulated sine waves but you are the first one I've ever seen have trouble.

I use one of these double conversion units to power my server and main computer.

It says they have 7 left and I'm thinkin' you might need one. ;)

Back